Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Utah Trialling 80mph ! 80mph!!!

I am in Salt Lake City, before flying to Toronto. Driving from Vegas to Salt Lake City , there are sections of the I89 that are trialling 80mph !!! Impala liked it and so did I !! The difference is the roads are so superior to ours. Especially the goat track called the Bruce Highway. and no hidden speed cameras on those sections ,just Highway Patrol which you can see. Our Government needs to learn from American cousins how to build roads and control speeding. At 80mph, trip computer showed the Impala was doing 22.7mpg!!!

Old 28-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Default Re: Utah Trialling 80mph ! 80mph!!!

Yep, have to 100% agree with you. The interstate road system is briliant. I have clocked up over 10,000 miles on my US GPS over the past three years, you should be fine setting your cruise control at 83 in the 80 zones. I word of warning, just dont go over the limit in any road work zones, in some states its a massive fine, I think it was like 20K and a years time locked up
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
MurdoK

Geez that would be nice.

As said, our roads are terrible. Some of our country roads in W.A where the speed limit is 110km/h can be hairy with the yips and deep ruts.

Would be nice to have the population to pay for those types of roads...then again...

Boosting Daily

MurdoK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arent the freeways in the USA mostly built over the top of a concrete surface?

I noticed years ago sections of the new highway before the sunshine coast was concreted then had bitumen over the top. This is why the roads last for so long (yes its expensive but if they last twice or three times the amount, then its a saving overall).

The 110kmh sections we have around these areas are actually pretty good normally and well maintained.

Its a pity the money isnt spent to make our highways 1st class (outside the Brissy area i mean)

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
UKXR8

Quite enjoyed taking the old Mondeo up to 120mph on the German Autobahns 2 weeks ago...
Actually the palms got a bit sweaty after a while, too much thinking required! 100 was much more civilised.
Good on Utah for getting with the times though

2003 AU3 XR8 MANUAL

1998 EL XR6
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The M1 ( and for that matter most of Britains A roads ) are , in sections depending on the sub strata , up to three feet thick with various media used for stabilisation and drainage . And they have to also cope with frost shattering aswell . I dont think Iv'e seen a road in Australia that would even be 12 inches thick . I remember well my fathers horror the first time we drove to Melbourne from Sydney on the Hume Highway which was in 1969 a 2 lane goat track which would not have even rated as a D road in the UK .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXR8
Quite enjoyed taking the old Mondeo up to 120mph on the German Autobahns 2 weeks ago...
Actually the palms got a bit sweaty after a while, too much thinking required! 100 was much more civilised.
Good on Utah for getting with the times though
Last time I was in Germany we had a rented diesel mondeo wagon which we got up to and maintained 210 KPH on the Autobahn sections that allowed it between Hannover and Hamburg , great fun .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We nearly had a yank style freeway between Cairns and Sydney via Brisbane built here in the late 1940s by USA as a thank you for out help in WW2.

This would have given QLD & NSW a massive kick start and the subsequent development may have change the face of Australia with large cities and commerce locating into the northern half.

Unfortunately the federal government knocked it back, which seems crazy until you look back and see in what part of Australia the home electorates of the controlling faction of the government were located.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EASYBOSS... the roadwork fines in UTAH are double..I did set the cruise control on 85mph and the Highway Patrol ignored me!! Here..would have given chase!!!
Old 28-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
We nearly had a yank style freeway between Cairns and Sydney via Brisbane built here in the late 1940s by USA as a thank you for out help in WW2.

This would have given QLD & NSW a massive kick start and the subsequent development may have change the face of Australia with large cities and commerce locating into the northern half.

Unfortunately the federal government knocked it back, which seems crazy until you look back and see in what part of Australia the home electorates of the controlling faction of the government were located.
So true flappist.
Old 28-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that`s a good cruising speed, i reckon even 90 mph is pretty comfortable cruising speed on a long run, good on them for trialing it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
BrisVegas
Noobie

I lived over there for 4 years and had a 2 week holiday in Arizona, Utah, Colorado and Nevada. 85mph is about the minimum speed you would find cars cruising at. It really is quite comfortable and safe in modern cars.

I lived in Charlotte, NC and have driven from Key West to Canada on interstates and they're an incredible road system. From Charlotte, you'd think nothing of driving 200 miles to Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA and you'd count on averaging 70mph. I-85 went through Charlotte from Atlanta up to Virginia etc.. I used to joke that it was 85mph limit, as you'd cause traffic jams if you went any slower than 85! In four years there I only had 1 speeding ticket and that was in a 35 zone I missed the sign for.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
JR.
Once more with feeling

First time I got a hire car in the US a few years back to do a drive myself holiday I was amazed at their Highway Patrol's laid back attitude to speeding compared to ours. Driving from LA to Vegas the Highway was posted at 70mph and the traffic was cruising at close to 90mph and faster in the overtaking lane while CHP & NHP sat at the side of the road and didn't even blink.
Old 28-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I've always thought 130kmh is a good speed for covering distance quickly, provide enjoyment and with enough concentration required to actually focus on driving but not an extreme speed that the masses couldn't handle it.

In the NT i was able to cover the 250km between Darwin and Kakadu with a rest stop in a shade over 2hrs. Made for enjoyable driving.

80mph = 129kmh

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

got a source/reference/citation flappist?
Old 28-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #16
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
got a source/reference/citation flappist?
When I was doing some research on WW2 for Uni, there was a file in the Archives (will try to find a copy/regerence number) for projects the US offered or were looking at.

One was the project Flappist mentioned, which was meant to be part of a cold war strategic roads project for fast ovement of armour and troops. was also to link to Aice Springs with network roads to all states.

Most of the project was dropped when the yanks decided to maintain the Phillipines and Thailand as the SE Asia main force areas.

Still a good idea, having good quality high speed rads linking all atate capitals. I would love to go Perth to Brisbane dtraight through the centre of Australia at 130km/h.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A large country with decent roads trials a reasonable speed, great news. Now if other places could catch on.

Anyone know what the road between LA and LV is like?
Good quality? Speed limit? Traffic levels?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #18
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did SLC to Vegas a few months back and was surprised to see 80mph signs. We were in a rental Suburban. Sat on 85, wish it was like that everywhere. I did not fall asleep at the wheel which was nice!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #19
cartaa100
FG POWER

I think that Australia really needs some iproving to its roads with brandnew completly straight motorways with speed limits of 140 or 150 maybe even higher, if not those speeds even a motorway thats dead straight thats 110km i think the roads here are so terrible and curvey its hard to go much above 110 safely, but since aus is such a large country we need some beter motorways that are alot straighter with higher speed limits.

Would have rather seen the money spent on the NBN (which will be out of date in say 10 years) go into new motorways or improving traffic flow on roads.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
Would have rather seen the money spent on the NBN (which will be out of date in say 10 years) go into new motorways or improving traffic flow on roads.
NBN wont be out of date in 10 years, its fibre - will be good for many many years - just like the copper has done for the past how ever many years.
Old 28-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
cartaa100
FG POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke
NBN wont be out of date in 10 years, its fibre - will be good for many many years - just like the copper has done for the past how ever many years.

that is true, but do we really need it, my internet at home and at work is already so fast.

Old 28-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think i might take my wives over there and settle down
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #23
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont want to go off topic

But the NBN is going to take 5+ years to roll out - by then we will need it.

Its not now, its the future thinking.
Old 28-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
that is true, but do we really need it, my internet at home and at work is already so fast.
lol...
yeah because the single person sitting at home on forums is exactly why the NBN is being built.

think businesses, think multi user environments, for once its about Future planning, not waiting until its an issue, then spending time and effort trying to fix the problem.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #25
cartaa100
FG POWER

and our current roads arent problems?

id rather current internet, and better roads. anyway back on topic.

does anyone know what the old speed limit was in utah before they started trialling 80mph?

Old 28-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #26
Dave3911

Quote:
Define "so fast".... because the majority of Australians have no idea what fast internet feels like.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #27
cartaa100
FG POWER

maybe fast enough is what i should have said, telstra offers great wireless internet operating off the 3g network. we have it at our farm in the snowies

im just saying, i would have rather seen it on making roads safer and with less traffic.

enough said from me, sorry.

Old 28-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #28
blk6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
A large country with decent roads trials a reasonable speed, great news. Now if other places could catch on.

Anyone know what the road between LA and LV is like?
Good quality? Speed limit? Traffic levels?

I have done that run several times in a Mustang, its a great drive. The road is top quality with dedicated truck lanes in certian sections to keep the other lanes for cars only. We were speeding most of the way but in doing so were keeping up with the general traffic flow. The cops did nothing.

Although your staring at miles and miles of desert, great scenery and then smack...Las Vegas in the middle of no where, it's brilliant!
Old 28-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #29
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I think it was 70 mph ??
If your nice to the HWP with Kiwi / Aussie accent..
You can get away with much more than here...
Trust me... But don't ask why Lol...
HWP supercharged Mustangs sound NICE !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #30
cartaa100
FG POWER

thanks! i guess the 10mph more is a reasonable jump!