Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
Fairlane Al

Default AU I6 motor general servicing questions

Hi Folks,

I have been trying to do a full service on my AU Fairlane. Oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, leads, coolant and thermostat.

There are two things I'm not too sure about how to get done.

Firstly, the ignition leads. I figure the coil pack is somewhere under that inlet manifold, but I can't reach it well enough to actually be able to change the leads. I daresay there's some trick to gain access, so what's the consensus on the most efficient way to change the leads?

Also what's the most efficient way to drain all the coolant from the radiator, motor, and heater core? I would like to do a full replacement of the coolant as I don't trust the coolant it's currently running not as far as I can throw it. Will I get most of the coolant out[like as in 90% or more] by just draining out of the bottom hose, or do I need to do further to get all coolant out?

Thanks, Alex.
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
Spurious

Default Re: AU I6 motor general servicing questions

There's no easy way to change leads. Remove & replace them one at a time (to avoid confusion) by reaching underneath the inlet. There's 3 bolts, 7mm I think, that hold coil in place. You can remove the coil to fit the leads to it, but still have to refit the coil & feed the leads through the inlet !!!
1 bolt at the rear of the coil, access it with socket extensions directly down between the inlet/head gaps.
2 bolts at the front should be easily accessible with a socket or ring spanner. Noise suppressor is under 1 front bolt.

Dropping the lowest hose is about the only way to drain most of the coolant.
If you get 90%, where's the problem with that?
If you want to be that fussy, drain & refill, run the engine/heater, then drain & fill again.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Fairlane Al

If dropping the hose gets most of the coolant except for a few drops that's good for me. So Falcon I6 motors are not like Commodore V6's where about 3 or 4 litres of coolant actually sits inside the engine block below where the radiator hose connects-eg it's very difficult to completely drain one?

I had a good reach around under that inlet manifold to see where that coil is, I can't even feel the ignition leads and can barely see where they are. Not overly happy to be honest, I have to ask how many AU Falcons are still running old ignition leads with an out of sight, out of mind type approach...
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most AU's dont get maintenance unless theyre broken. Theyre au's. and its not that hard from underneath to pull the coil pack
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi there, the airbox assembly can come out to give you more access to the coilpack. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ser 1 has different coil and leads to the 2 and 3.
It has different bolts to hold it to the engine mount, use a long 1/4 drive socket.
last time I had removed the throttle body to clean it and swapped a fuel rail and found the coil easy to replace from up top.
often the manifold gasket can need replacing and that allow a good time to replace all the coolant hoses and the gasket on the thermostat housing.

Use a BF thermostat [waxtat] and remove the radiator so you can check the lower parts of the radiator tanks and seal. don't leave empty.

get prices from ford dealer or the online ford parts disposal. find the stock parts give less trouble for most operators.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post