Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Nsw On Line Rego Checks

Talking to the blokes that keep my car on the road got onto the topic of rego checks and now the first 5 yrs no inspections req'd and the new online check has less items to check than the old system. The boys took a car out for a brake test and no speedo in the old inspection there was a provision for a knockback but not the new online(car passes without working speedo). A call to RTA "if its not listed you cant knock it back" also if say you don't pass lhf tyre and they go outside and jack the car up and swap r to l you can not knock it back because you can only look at the thing you didn't pass it for so now the rhf is bald but it's a pass? WTF....does the rta want safe cars on the road or just revenue?

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

That is interesting info.

I would be very surprised if a car with a broken speedo can pass because it is not mentioned in the check, does a car with a missing door also pass? (because i'm assuming that there isn't a specific section asking to inspect the fact that a car has doors???).

I'm curious to see what others who actualy do do inspections say... The online rego is pretty good... I hated to have to line up in this day and age to just pay some money and get a recipt... But I didnt know that since going online, the inspection method has changed??
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2008, 02:37 AM   #3
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Does sound a bit stupid, although hardly matters down here, a brake test is taking the machine into the workshop and shaking it back and forth.
I've only ever had my tyres checked, and that was because I was stupid enough to take it to a tyre retailer!! (And yep, according to him I needed new tyres : Dont worry, he gave me a good deal!)
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Why would a broken speedo make a car unroadworthy?

They should only focus on factors that make the car safe to be on the roads (steering, susp, brakes, tyres etc). A broken speedo may make it difficult for the driver to access what speed they are travelling but that's a totally different matter.
Old 21-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Why would a broken speedo make a car unroadworthy?

They should only focus on factors that make the car safe to be on the roads (steering, susp, brakes, tyres etc). A broken speedo may make it difficult for the driver to access what speed they are travelling but that's a totally different matter.
Well if you are an idiot coming up to a sharp hairpin turn with no idea of your current speed and a suggested 40kmh advisory and you might end up as a smeer on the armco pretty fast.

The new RTA system is sure strange, I dont see the point of annual inspections at all it should be live VIC and QLD only inspections as you buy and sell, because as I see it some poor sucker is going to buy a 4.5 yo lemon that has been thrashed and never inspected. Secondally ive seen plenty of dodgy machines sold would not pass a pink slip, yet can be legally sold because they passed an inspection near 12 months ago, a lot can happen in 12 months.

The RTA is still a PITA with the blueslip inspections however or maybe its just my mechanic but geez they make it hard to register old cars.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Well if you are an idiot coming up to a sharp hairpin turn with no idea of your current speed and a suggested 40kmh advisory and you might end up as a smeer on the armco pretty fast.
I don't think I've ever glanced at my speedo on approaching a hairpin. It must therefore be a shock to you that I'm not even a scrape, let alone a smear.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

*snip
If you are going too fast for a hairpin turn it will NOT matter if your speedo isn't working ........ that would be brakes ..... I know they are checked as I am currently doing mine for rego now :P
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The RTA is still a PITA with the blueslip inspections however or maybe its just my mechanic but geez they make it hard to register old cars.
Maybe its not your mechanic - we have a local Toyota dealership that does blue slips, and I tell you what, I bet more fail than pass they are pretty strict.