Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden Cruze Update Feb 2013

Aussie-built small car to get new face and a wagon version.

Holden’s locally-built Cruze small car is set to get a new look.

Pictures released on General Motors’ Chevrolet website in the UK show the refreshed Cruze with a new front-end design, including a more aggressive looking front bumper with larger, more angular fog-light surrounds and a bigger grille section. New wheel designs are also expected.

Engine options for the updated Cruze range are expected to remain unchanged, with a 1.4-litre turbo petrol, 1.8-litre petrol and 2.0-litre turbo diesel still on offer.

In Europe, a new 1.7-litre four-cylinder turbo diesel engine producing 96kW/300Nm and capable of 4.5L/100km will be available, but Holden hasn’t yet confirmed whether it will be sold here.

Currently, Holden sells the four-door sedan and five-door hatchback here, but those will be joined by a new station wagon variant which will be imported from South Korea rather than built here.

The sedan version, which is now built in the company’s Elizabeth, South Australia plant, was previously built in South Korea, while the hatch has been locally built since October.

Advertisement: Story continues below
As Drive has previously reported, the new wagon is 16.5 centimetres longer than the hatch, with rear cargo capacity jumping from 413 litres to 500L. With the rear seats folded flat the boot space is rated at 1500L (up by 246L over the hatchback).

Holden senior product communications manager Kate Lonsdale told Drive that nothing has been confirmed yet for the Cruze “regarding a potential facelift or any other updates to the carline at this stage”.

The wagon – and the facelifted models – are expected to appear in showrooms around February 2013.

Follow Drive.com.au on Twitter @Drivecomau
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...622-20ssi.html
Like Drive.com.au on Facebook

Last edited by csv8; 29-06-2012 at 12:49 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: Holden Cruze Update Feb 2013

i wonder if that 1.7 diesel will have enough poke for the eastern seaboard.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

front looks very camry/aurion like.

i think the cruze is a reasonable looking car but the ride height would be fitting on a 4wd!! i'm not talking ground clearance either. there is a stupidly large gap between tyre and guard.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I think it's a good looking little wagon, I will never buy one because of the obvious but many will I assume.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I think it's a good looking little wagon, I will never buy one because of the obvious but many will I assume.
i'm not so sure. small hatches and wagons seem to be making way for cars like mazda cx5. the small suv's are taking off. many thought cruze hatch would take off but it hasn't so i'd be surprised to see the wagon make a massive impact either.

the beauty of it is, its a global car, so they can afford to make a variation of body styles as its not really costing them even if it only adds a 100 or so each month.
Old 24-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i'm not so sure. small hatches and wagons seem to be making way for cars like mazda cx5. the small suv's are taking off. many thought cruze hatch would take off but it hasn't so i'd be surprised to see the wagon make a massive impact either.

the beauty of it is, its a global car, so they can afford to make a variation of body styles as its not really costing them even if it only adds a 100 or so each month.
I think large sedans seem to be making way for CX5s but small hatches and wagons are still extremely popular.
Mazda 3, Corolla, Cruze, and i30 are all in the top 5 selling vehicles.
The $20 000 - $30 000 bracket is where the action is.
Old 24-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i wonder if that 1.7 diesel will have enough poke for the eastern seaboard.
Will have more than enough poke if you compare it to what is on offer at the moment.

The (outgoing) 1.6 Hyundai diesel is good for.. what.. about 88kw, 260nm torque?? The outgoing Focus was 100kw / 320nm from a 2L.

Neither as efficient as the 1.7 I think... If that 1.7 was available as a 2L in the same ratio of power / capacity it would probably beat both of them.

What kills the Focus Diesel's economy is the stupid gearing, especially in the Auto.

Having said that, I think the Cruze engines / transmissions have been tuned for great efficiency over performance. I was impressed with the petrol engine the week I had it as a hire car thats for certian. 6L per 100 no problems on the freeway.... about on par with our auto Mirage we have as a run-about.

The newer batch of Korean diesel engines are pretty good. The 2L in the new SSanggyooxyzng is rated at something crazy like 130kw / 360nm isn't it??.. thats getting very close to the Amarok, which is a full sized ute rated to tow God knows how many tons...

Who will be the first to introduce a Diesel 'Hot Hatch' here?? Can you imagine the performance of these new 2l donks in something smallish, around 1300kg??? 130kw / 360nm... That would really boogy!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks a lot like an Audi to me in that pic.

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I think large sedans seem to be making way for CX5s but small hatches and wagons are still extremely popular.
Mazda 3, Corolla, Cruze, and i30 are all in the top 5 selling vehicles.
The $20 000 - $30 000 bracket is where the action is.
mazda3 and i30 are hatch only. cruze and corolla are available as sedan or hatch and in cruze's case, the sedan outsells the hatch by a huge margin. the small suv market is only just emerging (cx5, kuga etc all based off the small car) and i think it will only rise. people love to sit up a bit higher, step into a car - not down etc.
Old 24-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
stevz
Banned

Quote:
mazda3 and i30 are hatch only.
What's this then?

stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
mazda3 and i30 are hatch only. cruze and corolla are available as sedan or hatch and in cruze's case, the sedan outsells the hatch by a huge margin. the small suv market is only just emerging (cx5, kuga etc all based off the small car) and i think it will only rise. people love to sit up a bit higher, step into a car - not down etc.
Mazda 3 is sedan also. I agree that Cruze sedan is more popular (maybe because it looks better than the hatch, who knows!). Yet I see more Corolla hatches than sedans (again, maybe because it looks better).

It would be interesting to see the actual sales for the body styles of each model.

As for sitting up high, I like driving the Ranger for that fact.

I wouldn't write off the wagon body style just yet though. There are plenty of Commodore and Mondeo wagons out there. Not everyone wants an SUV.
Old 24-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Mazda 3 is sedan also.
yeah my bad
Old 24-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW GTD was advertised as a Diesel Hot Hatch..
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Will have more than enough poke if you compare it to what is on offer at the moment.

The (outgoing) 1.6 Hyundai diesel is good for.. what.. about 88kw, 260nm torque?? The outgoing Focus was 100kw / 320nm from a 2L.

Neither as efficient as the 1.7 I think... If that 1.7 was available as a 2L in the same ratio of power / capacity it would probably beat both of them.

What kills the Focus Diesel's economy is the stupid gearing, especially in the Auto.

Having said that, I think the Cruze engines / transmissions have been tuned for great efficiency over performance. I was impressed with the petrol engine the week I had it as a hire car thats for certian. 6L per 100 no problems on the freeway.... about on par with our auto Mirage we have as a run-about.

The newer batch of Korean diesel engines are pretty good. The 2L in the new SSanggyooxyzng is rated at something crazy like 130kw / 360nm isn't it??.. thats getting very close to the Amarok, which is a full sized ute rated to tow God knows how many tons...

Who will be the first to introduce a Diesel 'Hot Hatch' here?? Can you imagine the performance of these new 2l donks in something smallish, around 1300kg??? 130kw / 360nm... That would really boogy!
yes i love the gearing of the cruze 1200rpm @110kph
very efficient.. dunno if korean diesel tho, VM motori (italy) and detroit diesel are the two makers of the cruze engines.
Old 24-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken
VW GTD was advertised as a Diesel Hot Hatch..
Ok, Thanks for that. Would have thought it would be a Euro.

125kw, 350nm at around 45k while getting 5.6 combined economy.

Bit pricey, but expected for a VW...

Would there be a market for a 30-35k Diesel hot hatch I wonder??

Many base 2l Diesel engines are already on the above VW figure.. would need to fiddle with handling, interior and badges ;)

Edit: Just an update on that 1.7l Korean diesel. Hyundai will be selling an i40 sedan with a "1.7 100kw, 320-330nm diesel engine that achieves 4.7L combined" (From drive.com.au)

Perhaps Cruze will bring in the 1.7 diesel after all to go against the Hyundai offering.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The i30 came as a wagon also............
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
The i30 came as a wagon also............
i think it was called i30cw.
Old 24-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #18
BHDOGS
Banned

I was reading in the news today the American imported cruise has been recalled due to a tendency to have engine fires
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
I was reading in the news today the American imported cruise has been recalled due to a tendency to have engine fires

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85L11C20120622

Its only 475,000 cruzes (and looks like it might involve 10,000 Holdens).

Just like the Holden wagon cannabalised sedan sales, Holden would hope that the cruze wagon doesnt do the same.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85L11C20120622

Its only 475,000 cruzes (and looks like it might involve 10,000 Holdens).
It wouldn't be the first recall for Cruze. We had a diesel Cruze at work. Not a bad car (pretty good on fuel) but it do chew through a set of wheel bearings at the 70 000k mark. The airbag sensor was faulty also. All covered by warranty though.

Quote:
Just like the Holden wagon cannabalised sedan sales, Holden would hope that the cruze wagon doesnt do the same.
Does it really cannibalize sales though ?
I feel it adds to the range and makes it more appealing to a broader range of buyers.
If you wanted a wagon, would you settle for the sedan/hatch or would you look at another brand who offer a wagon?
Old 24-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Another nail in the Commodore coffin.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Another nail in the Commodore coffin.
how do you figure. currently given the transaction prices of each, the commodore is bringing in a fair bit more than cruze.
Old 24-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #23
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Does it really cannibalize sales though ?
I feel it adds to the range and makes it more appealing to a broader range of buyers.
If you wanted a wagon, would you settle for the sedan/hatch or would you look at another brand who offer a wagon?
I guess I was looking at it more from a Holden local manufacturing perspective. They aren't close to making the 108,000 cars a year that Devereaux said made local manufacturing viable. If 8000 imported cruze wagons just replaced 8000 sedans or hatches, then it makes things worse for local manufacturing. After all, the hatch didn't lead to increased cruze sales.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #24
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
I guess I was looking at it more from a Holden local manufacturing perspective. They aren't close to making the 108,000 cars a year that Devereaux said made local manufacturing viable. If 8000 imported cruze wagons just replaced 8000 sedans or hatches, then it makes things worse for local manufacturing. After all, the hatch didn't lead to increased cruze sales.
Fair point.
Old 25-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #25
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
how do you figure. currently given the transaction prices of each, the commodore is bringing in a fair bit more than cruze.
Every Cruze sold is one less Commodore sold.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
not necessarily.
Old 25-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Ok, Thanks for that. Would have thought it would be a Euro.

125kw, 350nm at around 45k while getting 5.6 combined economy.

Bit pricey, but expected for a VW...

Would there be a market for a 30-35k Diesel hot hatch I wonder??

Many base 2l Diesel engines are already on the above VW figure.. would need to fiddle with handling, interior and badges ;)

Edit: Just an update on that 1.7l Korean diesel. Hyundai will be selling an i40 sedan with a "1.7 100kw, 320-330nm diesel engine that achieves 4.7L combined" (From drive.com.au)

Perhaps Cruze will bring in the 1.7 diesel after all to go against the Hyundai offering.

There was also this for sporty diesel hatch :

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...rticleID=56065

It seems sporty and diesel don't mash with buyers judging by number sold - still it was a good drive..
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #28
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Nope, it's one less Ford, Mazda, Hyundai etc sold.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post