Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default 2013 Ford Focus ST First Drive

Quote:

Ford may have put the Focus on the podium for the 2012 North American Car of the Year award but it's showing no signs of resting on its laurels. The 2013 Ford Focus ST, which will be available this summer, will come equipped with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine pumping out 252 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque through a six-speed manual transmission and 18-inch wheels. It will have three-mode stability control and available Recaro seats.

And it looks awesome. But looks alone means little to those seeking a real driver's car. Now it's time to find out what it's like to drive. Prepare yourself for a surprise.

A Wolf in Wolf's Clothing
Often an alleged performance car will have looks that write a check the car beneath can't cash. After all, it's far easier and cheaper to make a car look fast than it is to make it go fast. But Ford, no doubt stung a little by suggestions its new Focus is effective but a little dull to drive, has ensured the ST delivers in full on the promise made by its steroidal appearance.

Indeed the surprise is just how far Ford has gone with the ST. The specifications sound promising all the way from its turbocharged engine to a chassis altered in every detail. There's a new variable-ratio steering system, new springs, dampers, stabilizer bars, lighter yet stronger forged knuckles and a lower ride height. But it is only when you climb aboard and feel the way all these elements come together that you get a true sense of the car's character. In short, it's an animal.

Over the Limit
At speed the 2013 Ford Focus reveals a character far closer to the Focus RS than any Ford to wear the ST badges. Sure it's nowhere near as quick as the crazy RS (and has nowhere near the torque steer), but its no-prisoners approach to the racetrack is the same.

The engine is no landmark, but rather is a highly effective conduit to where the real fun lies. It sounds better than a turbo-4 has a right to thanks to Ford's "sound symposer" in its exhaust, which separates the sounds you want to hear from those you don't, and it delivers the goods in one solid shove from as little as 2,000 rpm. Ford is yet to release performance figures, but if the ST doesn't post a 0-60-mph time very near 6 seconds flat, it will only be because it lacks the traction, not the power.

But that's not what's going to make you love this car. It's in the corners that you're going to fall for this Focus. So comprehensive are the modifications Ford has made that it feels like a purpose-built sports car rather than something based on a relatively humble hatchback. It flicks into curves, cornering flat and fast. Once you're in the turn, adjusting your line can be done with your right foot or your hands. The chassis is exquisitely sensitive to driver commands: A little lift of the throttle and the nose tucks in a few degrees; a small prod and it returns to the original line.

Find a track and turn off the switchable stability control and you'll discover the 2013 Ford Focus ST will do ridiculous stuff. It's happy to pitch you into full opposite lock before the apex with a rear wheel waving in the air, yet sufficiently stable to require you to do no more than stomp back on the gas to set you straight again. It feels as if Ford has used a length of railroad track for its rear stabilizer bar.

It's not perfect, though. The new steering is clever enough to provide stability on center but its electric operation means it cannot provide the level of feedback offered by the best hydraulic systems. And because Ford chooses to contain wheelspin through a brake differential rather than the more expensive limited-slip differential it really needs, your progress away from a corner can be either slowed by the electronics if they're switched on, or messy if they're not.

Split Personality?
Has Ford gone too far and sacrificed the Focus' well-documented everyday ease of use for a level of dynamic involvement owners will rarely be able to exploit? It will take a comprehensive road assessment to be sure, but it seems unlikely.

Perhaps the most clever aspect of the ST's design is not how fast or sideways it will go, but how little compromise has been inflicted on the rest of the car to get it there. At full throttle the engine is startlingly loud, but if you knock the shifter into top gear and just cruise, it is silenced almost completely. There's not much tire noise from the asymmetrical 235/40 section Goodyears, and the ride quality is adequate for a car with this much performance ability.

If there is sting in this story, it is that the wagon version of the ST will be denied to stateside customers, who will only get the five-door hatchback. The wagon's acceleration has to be adversely affected because of its additional weight, but as that weight gain is likely to be less than 100 pounds, it'll take an unusually attuned driver to detect or be bothered by it. We drove the wagon after the hatch, then returned to the hatch and felt only minor differences.

Handling balance in the wagon is less aggressive — a result of its more even weight distribution and the position of its rear springs to maintain cargo space. As a result, the car feels a little less wild while still dishing out its share of fun on the right road or track.

A Class Killer
But even in hatchback form, the 2013 Ford Focus ST is going to give the current Mazdaspeed 3 the battle of its lifetime. Not many cars in this class have had both the handling and the horsepower to match Mazda's potent five-door until now.

We're not in the business of making predictions about which would ultimately be preferable when we've not driven them back to back on the same roads. Still, it's been a while since we last had this much fun in a hatchback, and when we did we were in a Focus RS.

It seems the long, long line of high-performance Fords has just beenextended a little further.
http://www.insideline.com/ford/focus...rst-drive.html

Will be looking at one of these when they come here. The old man is looking at trading his XR8 for one.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: 2013 Ford Focus ST First Drive

Ill reserve my judgement until i drive one (And i will) but IMO it has very big shoes to fill with the out going ST (And im not being biased) but where it does win for me is the interior. But where it looses IMO is the character that lived under the bonnet on the old car.

One thing i would have liked to see was an LSD.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Ill reserve my judgement until i drive one (And i will) but IMO it has very big shoes to fill with the out going ST (And im not being biased) but where it does win for me is the interior. But where it looses IMO is the character that lived under the bonnet on the old car.

One thing i would have liked to see was an LSD.
Agreed (and biased ), I just can't let go of the 5 cylinder, it's a gem.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a fan of the 5pot as much as you guys, but ultimately the Ecoboost was realistically the only way forward with the new Focus as the T5 didn't meet the new emissions regs. Volvo are now using Ecoboost motors in their new models too.

So whilst it may not have the 5pot growl it has more power with significantly lower fuel consumption.

I'm really keen to see one in the flesh. Could even be my next car?
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sold on that front end, but the rest looks good. Engine sounds like a cracker too! 187kW/365Nm.

Any word on pricing for Australia?
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
I'm a fan of the 5pot as much as you guys, but ultimately the Ecoboost was realistically the only way forward with the new Focus as the T5 didn't meet the new emissions regs. Volvo are now using Ecoboost motors in their new models too.

So whilst it may not have the 5pot growl it has more power with significantly lower fuel consumption.

I'm really keen to see one in the flesh. Could even be my next car?
Hasnt got more power then mine yeah i know it modded

Yeah i understand why the I5T is gone, still a shame.
I really hope its a hit for FoA thats for sure.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
LightingBA

I'm genuinely excited by this car, its the first time I've wanted to buy a car brand new and if finances permit I might. Plus it should be a tad more exciting then my girlfriends Corolla.
LightingBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Focus ST swaps a 162 Kw/320 nm I-5T for a 190 Kw 366 nm I-4 T.

That right there is a big win for me.

What this car will have is a Quasi LSD, computer software that senses wheelspin and applies the front
brakes slightly to give a LSD effect. This system is already available on the Ford edge Ecoboost in the USA.

And you can bet ther will be power ups and a Quaife LSD available in the near future for those that really must..
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its on my list come 2014 when I'm up for a new car. I'm more interested in the Fiesta ST though when that eventually comes.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah i know about the TVC in the front but a proper LSD would be good but you cant have it all.
One UK tuning company will have theirs in the next 2-3 weeks.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Seems like a ripper, but what would you expect from TeamRS. They do good work.

Like the 3 mode stability control.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Seems like a ripper, but what would you expect from TeamRS. They do good work.

Like the 3 mode stability control.
Sadly, the head honcho left and went to VW.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Bit of a loss was Jost Capito but i'm sure he can be replaced, he's only one person.

Its the steering and suspension guys who really earn their pay.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

As I understand it, Capito headed TeamRS, was put in charge of the merged SVT/TeamRS and is now motorsport director at VW. Surely in the interim they'll just have one of the SVT guys taking care of things.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah VW copped a huge gain getting Capito. I would have a prefered TeamRS and SVT stay seperated 'entities'.

Saying they had as much fun in the new car as they did in a MKII FRS is a BIG call.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want one in an Auto, will there be an Auto version?
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
max_torq
From the Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by inside line
Once you're in the turn, adjusting your line can be done with your right foot or your hands. The chassis is exquisitely sensitive to driver commands: A little lift of the throttle and the nose tucks in a few degrees; a small prod and it returns to the original line.

Find a track and turn off the switchable stability control and you'll discover the 2013 Ford Focus ST will do ridiculous stuff. It's happy to pitch you into full opposite lock before the apex with a rear wheel waving in the air, yet sufficiently stable to require you to do no more than stomp back on the gas to set you straight again. It feels as if Ford has used a length of railroad track for its rear stabilizer bar.
Sounds pretty scary; maybe I need to stick with the RWD, this behaves the wrong way around.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
I want one in an Auto, will there be an Auto version?
No Auto
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
No Auto
Wasn't there going to be a DSG version?

Or is that for the Fiesta ST?

They'd be stupid not too do it, as you'd be losing half of your potential market keeping it manual only, and leaves nothing to compete against Golf GTi DSG.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Wasn't there going to be a DSG version?

Or is that for the Fiesta ST?

They'd be stupid not too do it, as you'd be losing half of your potential market keeping it manual only, and leaves nothing to compete against Golf GTi DSG.
Havnt followed the Fiesta ST as much so could be that. Ive heard nothing re DSG for ST Focus.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 13-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #21
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

UK Top Gear written review, very positive.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/ford/focus...test/st-driven
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Overall I think this ST is so much better looking than the current one, just the front end letting it down.

But two things really annoy me, windscreen washers on the bonnet (I mean come on it's 2012 for god sakes) and those wheels are how old now, time to move on.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Overall I think this ST is so much better looking than the current one, just the front end letting it down.

But two things really annoy me, windscreen washers on the bonnet (I mean come on it's 2012 for god sakes) and those wheels are how old now, time to move on.
Each to their own I reckon looks wise its got nothing on the current one or the LS/T. Inside its miles better then the older cars.
Also the wheels are subtlety different :

That top gear review looks good.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 13-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Each to their own I reckon looks wise its got nothing on the current one or the LS/T. Inside its miles better then the older cars.
Also the wheels are subtlety different :

That top gear review looks good.
Yeah not saying the old one is ugly just this one flows better and the back end is light years ahead.

I know the wheels are slightly different but it is essentially the same old design, they must have caught the FPV wheel diesease.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed this new one looks better than the current model IMO, and those leather recaros, awesome!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Yeah not saying the old one is ugly just this one flows better and the back end is light years ahead.

I know the wheels are slightly different but it is essentially the same old design, they must have caught the FPV wheel diesease.
I was thinking the same thing re wheels, incidentally they have fitted a 235 tyre on the new car old was 225. No idea why as i have changed mine to a 235.

I dunno about the rear, i dont like the central exhaust that said i reckon a decent aftermarket one would do the trick. Those recaros are awesome ill agree i thought the seats in my car were good but these are better again. One thing as i said ill miss is the I5T but its progress i guess.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 13-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

225/40R18 is much more expensive than 235/40R18. Good move.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Front end is a bit girly!
Old 13-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #29
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely on my radar as my next car - just wish they would stop showing it in that ugly orange colour, it just doesn't do the car any justice. Red, white or black please - even the blue is more appealing

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #30
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Im not a fan of Tangerine scream but i reckon in person it might be ok. Id buy a white one again though.
- Antz Turboside Intake