Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile BBC apologises (again) for Jeremy Clarkson remarks

BBC apologises (again) for Jeremy Clarkson remarks
By David Knox on December 1, 2011Filed Under News
When he appeared on BBC’s The One Show, Top Gear‘s Jeremy Clarkson was asked what he would do with the two million public servants who have been striking over changes to their pensions.
“I would have them all shot,” he said.
“I would take them outside and execute them in front of their families.
As laughter emerged in the studio, presenters Matt Baker and Alex Jones, were left speechless.
His comments sparked instant condemnation from viewers, who angrily posted furious comments on Twitter. But others applauded his controversial statements, saying they were clearly said a joke.
The public broadcaster issued a swift on-air apology, saying Clarkson sometimes overstepped the mark in his quest for “comic” value.
A BBC spokeswoman said: “The One Show apologised at the end of the show to viewers who may have been offended by Jeremy Clarkson’s comments.”
John Prescott, the former deputy Prime Minister, added: “I know Jeremy Clarkson likes winding people up but it’s worth pointing out he gets £1m a year from the license fee/public sector”.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: BBC apologises (again) for Jeremy Clarkson remarks

jeez what happened to a sense of humor these days?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahahah probably not the most sensitive of remarks at the time but its taken out of context. Reading it without hearing the sarcasm dripping off every word - then the papers pick it up and the public reads each word imagining JC is brandishing weapons at the workers lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep the world is full of tiny little people who are angry with everything and just sit around all day waiting for anything that the can be offended by to try and make them feel more important by taking some theoretical high ground position.

Clarkson, on the other hand, has just got yet another world wide free publicity run.

If the wowsers really wanted to hurt Clarkson all they have to do is ignore him but then no one would hear there complaints so they would not get any publicity either.....and really that is what it is all about......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
prasac
Banned

aren't the Germans the ones said to not have a sense of humor? guess can throw the English in with them now.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Perhaps it could be seen as offensive - but I'm curious as to what context his comments were taken in...

Did the complainers think that Jeremy was actually going to lobby/petition for the 2million people to be executed?

Good on Jeremy... Free Speech...

Plus you've gotta give the Wowsers something to complain about...
Old 02-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clarkson is known for his dry sence of humour, so whats the issue really?

What ever happened to the poms sence of humour???

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, people need to lighten up. This clearly shows whats wrong with the world these days when humor is misconstrued.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People don't understand sarcasm when they read it - especially put intot he wrong context in a news paper - its quite obvious he's not being serious. Problem is people that are prone to actually make complaints about things generally have no sense of humor and are that sheltered they take everything they read at face value.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
aren't the Germans the ones said to not have a sense of humor? guess can throw the English in with them now.
Have a good look around our own backyard mate, it's just as bad..............

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
What ever happened to the poms sence of humour???
it went the same way as their masculinity
Old 02-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Someone contact the BBC and see if they would swap Jeremy Clarkson for Kyle Sandilands
Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yep the world is full of tiny little people who are angry with everything and just sit around all day waiting for anything that the can be offended by to try and make them feel more important by taking some theoretical high ground position.
I think I work with these people........
Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

From another point of view. Has anyone here never been offended by a joke. Your boss goes and makes drastic changes to your pension plan/superannuation which could effect your way of life after retirement, which will more than likely effect your whole family. You wouldn't be happy. That's 2 million people! Around 3% of the population. For everyone concerned, it's no laughing matter. They're fighting tooth and nail for what they feel they're entitled to, then some high-profile clown is broadcast across the country, making a mockery out of them and their fight. You expect no-one to complain?
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Scaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
bluovl

If his remark was a 'joke' Im sorry but it just wasn't funny. I'm sure the pompous twat would be upset if somebody got on television and said members of his family should be lined up and raped. I guess his pathetic attempts at 'sarcasm' appeal to some.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #16
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaffy
From another point of view. Has anyone here never been offended by a joke. Your boss goes and makes drastic changes to your pension plan/superannuation which could effect your way of life after retirement, which will more than likely effect your whole family. You wouldn't be happy. That's 2 million people! Around 3% of the population. For everyone concerned, it's no laughing matter. They're fighting tooth and nail for what they feel they're entitled to, then some high-profile clown is broadcast across the country, making a mockery out of them and their fight. You expect no-one to complain?
Was Jeremy one of these employess?? If not - then why was he asked the question?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where did rape come from? No ones said anything about rape..
Old 02-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
If his remark was a 'joke' Im sorry but it just wasn't funny. I'm sure the pompous twat would be upset if somebody got on television and said members of his family should be lined up and raped. I guess his pathetic attempts at 'sarcasm' appeal to some.
What?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
bluovl

No, he didn't mention rape, I did. I asked how would he like it if someone 'joked' about his family being raped. I dont reckon it would sit to well with him. Same as his 'joke' about shooting workers doesn't sit well with the people he offended. Hence an apology from the BBC.
But I guess this 'journalist' got the attention he and his fans feed on.
We wont all agree.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
It's not a matter of appealing to anyone or even it being very funny - it was never meant to be taken seriously - in fact, nothing Clarkson says should be taken seriously, particularly his reviews of motor vehicles.

I'm sure the pompous twat wouldn't care if someone got on television and said members of his family should be lined up and shot, would just equal more publicity for him.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

"As laughter emerged in the studio, presenters Matt Baker and Alex Jones, were left speechless."

Hasn't anyone figured out yet, they're paid to look speechless whenever he says something oh so controversial? That's, you know, part of their job.

As for the joke, yeah... it was a joke. I'm sure everyone who gets offended at clarksons jokes, makes jokes that would offend someone else without thinking twice.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #22
Chopped
as in chopped

I wouldn't like someone making jokes about my pay cuts, who would ?. (Especially from someone who is rolling in it)

The problem with having to be an insensitive loudmouth to get attention is that eventually everyone gets sick of you. Just like that chef that swears all the time or that Kyle fella. Top Gear is coming to the end of it's shelf life anyway.

I much prefer James May.

There is "free" speech and then there is also "dumb" speech. These two get confused by many people.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope we could add the selfish striking Qantas employees to the 2 million.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what`s that old saying , there`s no such thing as bad publicity, Mr Clarkson is probably laughing all the way to the bank.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
what`s that old saying , there`s no such thing as bad publicity, Mr Clarkson is probably laughing all the way to the bank.
No probably about it. he's doing very well
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #26
bungarra

Quote:
Thats why we have legislation about our super and they also have the choice like us to change pension funds as I did when I was in the UK, so they could just look for a better fund!
Having worked in the UK, I brought more out of my UK fund to my Australian fund after two years than I did in 5 years at a higher pay in Australia.
Protesting just seems the way of the world these days unfortunately.
As fo Clarkson's comment, anyone listening to it or having watcghed him would have known it was sarcasm, except those who just want to whinge.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #27
gtfpv
GT

Clarkson likes winding people up but it’s worth pointing out he gets £1m a year from the license fee/public sector”.[/QUOTE]

when people make this kind of money , they have no right to put down anyone who works for a living and strives to maintain their modest lifestyle .
I imagine if he pointed a gun at any of them , there would be 10's of thousands pointing back .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #28
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They're fighting tooth and nail for what they feel they're entitled to
They can feel as entitled to it as they like. The country needs to be able to afford it.

Is it any coincidence all the countries in europe with problems are the most welfare-generous?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #29
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra
Protesting just seems the way of the world these days unfortunately.
People have been protesting for a very long time. Maybe look up what was going on in the 70's. Its peanuts what we see now.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #30
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These idiots have seen Top Gear at some stage haven't they? Or been to a live stage show of thiers?

Geez, at the Top Gear Live show in Brisbane back in March that I went to see, they spent quite some time taking the mickey out of Australia and Australians...everyone laughed, no one ran for lawyers or walked out in outrage.

"They can feel as entitled to it as they like. The country needs to be able to afford it.
Is it any coincidence all the countries in europe with problems are the most welfare-generous?"

Truer words were never spoken...such as the French protesting a few years back when they wanted to up the working week from 35 hours to 38, or the current problems where they want to put the retirement age up from 60 to 64 or 65...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post