Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Star Trek Actor Killed By Jeep on Recall

''THE Star Trek actor killed by his own car was run over by a model of Jeep that was recalled earlier this year for “rollaway risk,” according to a report.

Anton Yelchin, 27, died in a freak accident on Sunday when his vehicle pinned him between a metal security gate and his brick mailbox.

He was found by a group of friends when they got concerned about him after he didn’t show up for a planned rehearsal, The New York Post reports.

The Los Angeles Police Department has now confirmed that his 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee was one of the 248,667 models included in a voluntary recall in April for a defect in the vehicle’s alert system, according to CBS News.

“Drivers thinking that their vehicle’s transmission is in the Park position may be struck by the vehicle and injured if they attempt to get out of the vehicle while the engine is running and the parking brake is not engaged,” the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration wrote in its report."
http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...90b3ec74c01fcd
Old 22-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Star Trek Actor Killed By Jeep on Recall

The ambulance chasers are salivating right now...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Who doesn't apply the handbrake when the car is stationary and intending to leave the car? Seriously it isn't an optional accessory, it's there for a reason, to stop the car rolling.

Americans, they do some amazing things at times, then they do this.
Old 22-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
The ambulance chasers are salivating right now...
If it was subject to a recall it will probably be an easy boat and car upgrade for them.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Who doesn't apply the handbrake when the car is stationary and intending to leave the car? Seriously it isn't an optional accessory, it's there for a reason, to stop the car rolling.

I know some people that only put automatics in park and don't apply the handbrake at all if it's on the flat. But I have got in a work car one day which was parked on a hill with no handbrake, just in park. It didn't sound good released it.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #6
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I know some people that only put automatics in park and don't apply the handbrake at all if it's on the flat.
I do too, I try to give them the hint but most of the time they can't be bothered with it.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont apply the parkbrake in autos if its flat...
The car wont go anywhere...The parking pawl on the transmission ensures that. Even on a hill.

This guy got out of the car while it was still in N, not in Park.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive a manual (FG ute). On the flat, yeah, a bit of handbrake. On a slight slope, 1st or reverse + handbrake. Steep slope, same as previous plus a lot of handbrake. Poor lad.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #9
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post

I was working with a team of blokes in NYC and everyone of them told me to stop using the handbrake. Even at car rental places I get a kick out of pulling the handbrake and watching the employee hop in and place it in drive and take a moment to find out the handbrake is on
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure how the park is activated in a 2015 JGC, but they have an electronic gear selector.
Could be a factor.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Gee how come we all didn't get ran over in the 70s and 80s when the car had no reminders.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #12
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wont be long till its impossible to do this, BMW have this Electromechanical Parking Brake http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t..._parking_brake

I think even the ecosport has a hill start feature that stops it rolling backwards
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I've noticed almost all mechanics don't use the handbrake when I've gone to get a car after having something done. After having to have my handbrake adjusted X times I've kind of stopped doing it when parking in my driveway, which is flat.

I've also thought that if a car nudged me during a parking mishap, it might help reduce some damage since the car can rock on the wheels a little bit.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #14
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I think even the ecosport has a hill start feature that stops it rolling backwards
Automatic Lancers have this feature where you press the brake pedal a bit harder than normal and the car "locks" the brake on so you don't roll back when leaving a sloped road.
Old 23-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #15
Warrenk

In the Jeep GC's you cannot turn off the motor unless the gearbox is park. So if he hopped out of his Jeep and he thought it was in park with the motor running it would been more than likely would have been in reverse if he failed to select park. If the park break was not applied it would have gone backwards. So maybe the Jeep did not roll backwards as quoted in the media, but reversed into him.
Old 23-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: Star Trek Actor Killed By Jeep on Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
I dont apply the parkbrake in autos if its flat...
The car wont go anywhere...The parking pawl on the transmission ensures that. Even on a hill.

This guy got out of the car while it was still in N, not in Park.
True, but it doesn't feel right on any slope. Even a gentle one.
I once accidentally stuck my 300c in park on a slight hill and let my foot off the brake. Car rolled forwards and snapped the park lock release thing. The one that releases when you put your foot on the brake. Had to take the centre console apart and release it by hand. But it is an American car so I can't expect too much reliability.

But with this Jeep recall I am assuming there is some issue where people might think it has been put into park but it is not. Can't see them recalling a car because someone just made a mistake.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chrysler issue recall after actors death.
http://www.motoring.com.au/chrysler-...n-flaw-102861/
Old 24-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #18
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Chrysler issue recall after actors death.
http://www.motoring.com.au/chrysler-...n-flaw-102861/
The only correlation between the recall and the actors death is that it happened a week before the recall was scheduled for Oz (recall has been out in the US).

To give a flavour on what this recall is about. The gear selector in the GC is not traditionally gated. It's a single push forward, single pull backward action, however you get tactile feedback as it "notches" past PRNDS (i.e. as you pull the level back from P to D, you feel the notching as it passes R, N and then into D. There are in-gear indicators on the gear lever and also right in the middle of the speedo and taco.

The problem is that it's not initially intuitive, and you do need to ensure that gear selector has landed where you expect it. Which is ultimately what is causing user errors by not paying attention and ensuring it's in the selected gear or P when parking. Add in that opposed to us Aussies, US owners don't tend to use the parking brake (the GC's have a foot park brake) and you can see where roll-aways can happen, keeping in mind that out of the GC's sold globally, that there has been 14 non-fatal issues related directly to this user error. The actors car was in Neutral and no park brake was applied, so time will tell (after all the attempted suing is completed) if this was as a result of the gear selector not being put in gear correctly or not. Either way, user error.

But in saying all that, it's a poorly executed design and combine that with not using the Parking Brake and this crap will happen due to drivers not paying attention.

The recall I believe, will automatically put the car in P, when the vehicle is stopped and a door is open. Plus additional audible and warning signs on the dash.

Personally I like the way the selector works, however a couple times I've gone to put it in P (Park Brake on) and not paying attention have selected R or N. So the added warnings, will help.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #19
Matty4
Banana

I guess the other issue here is that in the USA they don't call it a Park Brake, it's known as an E (Emergency) Brake. I suspect that's why these roll-aways happen, because just parking your car isn't deemed an emergency, therefore no need to apply the E brake.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever happened, you would think in this day and age with all the Wizz bang technology available, they could put a sensor in the drivers seat and the drivers door, so if it detects either the park brake or gear lever is not in the appropriate spot when the driver opens the door an starts to get out an alarm goes off with a warning light.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #21
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a good video about the gear selector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FYtLLJ8nII
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #22
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From memory, the joystick style shifter used on the GC was German designed and is used in quite a few Euro cars. The one difference is the GC uses a foot operated mechanical park brake and the Euro's use electric brakes, therefore the Euro's can detect this situation and electronically apply the park brake.

Oddly the baby Cherokee has an electric park brake and a traditional shifter and if you have a look at the MY16 GC, it's reverted to a traditional shifter too!

I believe but can't confirm that the GC 'fix' electronically puts the vehicle in Park if it detects engine running, vehicle not in Park and/or hand brake not on and driver has left the vehicle, the latter supposedly uses the seatbelt sensor but I think it really means the seatbelt detecting system, ie bum on seat or not rather than seatbelt on/off as this would make it a PITA if you reverse with the door open/hanging out the door with seatbelt off.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Here's a good video about the gear selector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FYtLLJ8nII
It seems to be a system designed to look pretty and save space and pretend to be simple, i know i sound like a broken record , but not all progress is good , i love the old style t bar shifter in my au .
The old way of mechanically moving things by hand and having some feel and feed back are just disappearing for stuff all controlled by electronics and computers , these modern wizz bang cars are going to be utter throw away dung boxes of the future .... gaurantee it .
Old 24-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
I guess the other issue here is that in the USA they don't call it a Park Brake, it's known as an E (Emergency) Brake. I suspect that's why these roll-aways happen, because just parking your car isn't deemed an emergency, therefore no need to apply the E brake.
Funny enough if you look at the Ford systems for stuff like auto tailagte, lights in the tray they wont activate unless the hand brake is applied so you dont get hit/run over in the car. This direction comes from the us.
Old 25-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #25
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just tried this on mine, engine in, trans in N, park brake off. Open the door and a chime goes off and the dash panel flashes red saying trans not in park, plenty of warning.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #26
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Gee how come we all didn't get ran over in the 70s and 80s when the car had no reminders.
I reckon a good few people did. They're just not the ones now able to talk about not being run over on forums.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #27
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I reckon a good few people did. They're just not the ones now able to talk about not being run over on forums.

They weren't in the Star Trek film so who cares what happened to them?
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #28
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Its sad that he died and nobody even gives a ****.
Maybe one of you guys will die like this and all the forum clowns can pull the **** out of you...we can only hope.
Its a bloody shame someone so young died in a freak accident with a such a big life ahead of them.
Bunch of cynical **** holes...
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #29
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lot of issues using the park brake. Lot of the vehicles I service spend long periods in storage. this week I spent a day cleaning the air supply system for a 10 Plus year old 10 ton isuzu. the issue was the time to release, then the time to reapply.

During RFS drivers training I was asked questions by the instructor, SOP like only starting vehicle with clutch pedal depressed and hand brake on sound good as a safety proceedure but are an issue for maintanence. safety is priority over service life.

Most of the American refer to the E-brake, The new York stories about fleet vehicle being stored so they could be pushed easily to make room to remove driverless vehicles. I attended police driver training in California and they instructed students to park the vehicle against items-like wheel chocks or gutters. I was requested not to leave the hand brake on by the rental agents in LA.

This has been an issue in NSW rego inspections-once apon on a time it was a reject if the car could not be stopped from 10-15Kmh-the stories of transmission and brake failures was common. now the test is that the car cannot be driven forward with light throttle.

In the snow countries most vehicles use drum brake , these are subject to heat corrosion and moisture issues. also the brake dust can become a glue.
the brake linings not releasing or cable failues due to salt corrosion.

Most countries don't use automatic vehicles for fleet vehicles.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Its sad that he died and nobody even gives a ****.
Maybe one of you guys will die like this and all the forum clowns can pull the **** out of you...we can only hope.
Its a bloody shame someone so young died in a freak accident with a such a big life ahead of them.
Bunch of cynical **** holes...
Was a bit surprised myself no one mentioned the young bloke , but it is a car forum , and yes it is always sad to see youngsters or anyone for that matter lose their lives , especially good humans, and in an accident due to what looks like a poorly engineered car mechanism, and from what ive read he was good bloke.
i thought he did the role of checkov in star trek like a champ , he will be missed.