Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
RozRox

Default Ford territory model replacement....

Half the year of 2016 has almost gone by, yet there is no official word from Ford Australia about the replacement model for the its outgoing model- The Territory....are we still getting the Edge (bigger 7seat version)as a rebadged Territory or the Explorer instead??? Really curious to hear about this. There is also an article in caradvice discussing about the same.....has anyone here heard anything else new or different? If so plz share....
RozRox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Default Re: Ford territory model replacement....

Apparently (in another thread in the Everest section) there was a 2wd Everest announced,
knock off 6k for 2wd as per Ranger and it's still an expensive replacement for the Territory at around 56k
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

A monocoque bodied SUV will replace the Territory, what that model is, who knows...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

It'll be the Edge but the idiots in charge of marketing here will rename it the Territory, just to devalue what the Territory was.

Like who'll notice, it's not like we have the internet and have the whole global Ford product list at our finger tips.

One Ford, what a joke.
Old 17-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
It'll be the Edge but the idiots in charge of marketing here will rename it the Territory, just to devalue what the Territory was.
They can't call it Edge here due to an existing trade mark owned by Toyota.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Just another reason to hate Toyota

2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm guessing that part of the reason for the delayed announcement is that Ford's lawyers are negotiating with Toyota to obtain a licence to use the trade mark, or to acquire the trade mark from Toyota.

If that falls through, Ford have the option of either initiating an application to IP Australia to remove Toyota's trade mark for non-use, or re-name the car. It's much easier to do the latter.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

There would be a delayed announcement because to the average buyer Territory is continuing on as normal. Most people wouldn't be aware that Territory is not being built here anymore and will think the new Edge/Territory is just the next update. They will advertise it closer to release.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I'm guessing that part of the reason for the delayed announcement is that Ford's lawyers are negotiating with Toyota to obtain a licence to use the trade mark, or to acquire the trade mark from Toyota.

If that falls through, Ford have the option of either initiating an application to IP Australia to remove Toyota's trade mark for non-use, or re-name the car. It's much easier to do the latter.
Lol good luck getting Toyota to give Ford a favour when Ford have been slamming them in their TV ads and every Ford product launch.

Oh well Ford kind of deserve it after they refused Tesla using the name Model E due to the name of the Ford E series cargo vans.

They will probably be better off anyway Edge is a crap name for a car like Cruze.

Last edited by Brazen; 17-06-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Lol good luck getting Toyota to give Ford a favour when Ford have been slamming them in their TV ads and every Ford product launch.

Oh well Ford kind of deserve it after they refused Tesla using the name Model E due to the name of the Ford E series cargo vans.

They will probably be better off anyway Edge is a crap name for a car like Cruze.
Who ever thought of Kuga as a car name? A misspelled version of Ford Cougar?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #11
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Ford territory model replacement....leave the Edge for the mums

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Like who'll notice, it's not like we have the internet and have the whole global Ford product list at our finger tips.

One Ford, what a joke.
Edge actually not a bad unit. The space is there.

Haha in terms of renaming the edge....just look at what holden did by rebadging daewoo's.
Old 17-06-2016, 11:35 PM   #13
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Edge actually not a bad unit. The space is there.
I don't mind the Edge and I do think it's the right car for the market now they also have the larger Everest.

But the Edge is not a Territory the same way a Mondeo or Taurus is not a Falcon.

The Territory name plate should also be retired IMHO to allow it to be remembered as Australia's only home grown crossover (SUV), and a great one at that.

Old 17-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I don't mind the Edge and I do think it's the right car for the market now they also have the larger Everest.

But the Edge is not a Territory the same way a Mondeo or Taurus is not a Falcon.

The Territory name plate should also be retired IMHO to allow it to be remembered as Australia's only home grown crossover (SUV), and a great one at that.

I'd say the terri nameplate continues cause its not a badge thats in the toilet....like the Falcon nameplate is.

I wouldn't say everest is bigger. Internally the everest isnt all that special. Terri is an awesome softroader suv.....funny enough the edge is a worthy replacement if they get the model mix right and at least have one model with a decent engine driveline combo.
Old 18-06-2016, 12:24 AM   #15
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd say the terri nameplate continues cause its not a badge thats in the toilet....like the Falcon nameplate is.

I wouldn't say everest is bigger. Internally the everest isnt all that special. Terri is an awesome softroader suv.....funny enough the edge is a worthy replacement if they get the model mix right and at least have one model with a decent engine driveline combo.
Fully agree mate. I'd suggest The average Territory buyer doesn't care about Aussie heritage, Territory is an established decent selling nameplate and it but be silly of Ford to dump the name. The Edge is a perfect vehicle to take on the Territory name and give a fresh, new image to the ageing Terry we have now.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rose colored glasses here, tezza is not selling well and has had quality issues from day dot, thirsty and underpowered.

Bar a few ford forum die hards, the car buying public will not miss the territory.

Best they can do for the brand is kill off the name.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #17
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Quote:
I wouldn't say everest is bigger...
Good point about the size. I came to the same conclusion when I parked next to one. I prefer the decade earlier styling of my Territory as well.

Last edited by Raptor; 27-06-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #18
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

And another

Last edited by Raptor; 27-06-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to get a perspective of size. Here is the Territory body grafted on the back of a Everest mule.

Remember any difference in width you see is doubled as there is the same amount on the other side of the car too.

3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #20
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Who ever thought of Kuga as a car name? A misspelled version of Ford Cougar?
Kuga in America is still called Escape...http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/?gnav=header-suvs
Old 18-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #21
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At our local dealership they had all for suv together in a line so it was easy to jump between them all. Everest is easily taller and longer and definitely narrower than the terry. Only reasons i would go the everest is if I needed 4wd, bigger towing or a smidge more 3rd leg room. If it's a regular aussie family with two kids running around town with the odd camping trip to a national park the territory craps all over the everest as far as interior space and packaging. Factor in better driving manners means we are losing a truly great aussie car built by aussies. I can't beleive the earlier post that said the terry was underpowered. Never heard that before, unless they were taking about the diesel.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #22
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the ladder chassis also eats up a lot of interior height in the Everest but all body on frame cars are like that.
Old 18-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #23
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Spot on, they need to give us the MOST powerful versions and all options available to US/N.A. and UK buyers, eg. 2.7V6 Ecoboost @ 234kW in the Edge Sport and the UK spec 2.0L TDCi @156kW/450Nm.

It would be interesting to see if the 7-seater China-only version could be built in Canada for RHD markets if interest was great enough from those RHD countries.

On the Everest, how come we cannot get the "cashmere" colour that was in all the pre-release press material, it gives the interior a huge lift, which is where I find the cashmere interior of our SZ1 Territory so much nicer.

EDIT: the lighter interior is available in Thai models looking at their website....and it's sooo much nicer.
http://www.ford.co.th/en/suvs/all-ne...module-gallery

Last edited by Dr Smith; 18-06-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #24
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should import the Explorer in 7 seat form as well as the Edge. The market is becoming so that the SUV is the default body style
Old 18-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #25
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Euro Edge is Diesel only.

I suspect that'll come here ?

Don't you all think that ?
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
Euro Edge is Diesel only.

I suspect that'll come here ?

Don't you all think that ?
More then likely itll be diesel. But hope they bring one decent petrol. Still havent driven a diesel I like. Territory has shown there is a market for a petrol suv.
Old 18-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Rose colored glasses here, tezza is not selling well and has had quality issues from day dot, thirsty and underpowered.

Bar a few ford forum die hards, the car buying public will not miss the territory.

Best they can do for the brand is kill off the name.

Tezza is selling everything built. Also more tezza's are being built per day because there is a demand there....Falcon is already struggling. Tezza would have been a better car if the money wasnt wasted on Falcon.
Old 18-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #28
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tezza is selling everything built. Also more tezza's are being built per day because there is a demand there....Falcon is already struggling. Tezza would have been a better car if the money wasnt wasted on Falcon.
Good point, probably would of been worth focusing on it. 60% of Santa Fe and Sorennto sales are the top of the line where Territory falls short (xenon lights, panoramic sunroof, electric tailgate, proximity key, adaptive cruise, etc)
Old 18-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #29
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

I thought Ford's badge is in the toilet. They could stick a Ford badge on a BMW 5 series and it would become sales flop. Holden on the other hand could stick their badge on a garbage Daewoo, Great Wall, Mahindra or Daihatsu and it would still sell in decent numbers.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #30
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We love our Territory, fantastic vehicle. We've had 2 and it says a lot about the original concept that it's still a comfortable, quiet, relevant family car.

We had no quality and warranty issues with our first one and only a gearbox modification on the second.

Explorer is LHD only and won't be coming here in the near future. Edge looks good but if it has a DSG gearbox I won't touch it.