Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2022, 04:26 PM   #1
DTFRMONT

Default Sandown - looks like the end

Looks like the curtain has started to come down on Sandown.

The MRC has submitted plans to Dandenong council to rezone the land to residential/mixed use to prepare for a possible sale. Not a suprise as it's been talked about in racing circles for a while now. It's only used these days for the mid-week meetings, and for the occasional Saturday meeting during the quieter times of year. As a result, the spectator facilities aren't of the same standard of the other 3 city tracks.

Looks like Calder might end up being the only full-time circuit in Melbourne proper, there will be a gap in the Supercars calendar, and the driver training will have to move, to either Calder or possibly Lang Lang, depending on who buys it.

https://www.racing.com/news/2022-03-...l-sandown-sale

https://www.racing.com/news/2022-03-...ision-critical
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2022, 04:57 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Sandown - looks like the end

With the prices of property in Melbourne this was always going to be on the agenda, plus the locals who live nearby Sandown Race Course would always want this to close

Here's me alluding to this in 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Thats happening around Calder Raceway here in Victoria, it used to be the middle of nowhere then a suburb was built behind it, then they complain about noise.

Exactly the same with Sandown Raceway.

Same as Moonee Valley horse racing track, houses around it, people complain about noise.

Essendon Airport, residents building near it are complaining about noise and want the airport closed....

Its probably a developer who is keen on that land to turn it into a new suburb, they'd be black mailing them getting residents to complain and arc up about noise.

There was similar shifty stuff happening out here, there is a big section of land, maybe 30 acres behind my housing estate, and someone has cows on it, a developer kept trying to get the guy to sell it but he wouldn't, then all of a sudden someone poisoned his cows and killed them all.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2022, 05:30 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Nupe, not in the least bit surprised.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2022, 05:37 PM   #4
DTFRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
With the prices of property in Melbourne this was always going to be on the agenda, plus the locals who live nearby Sandown Race Course would always want this to close

Here's me alluding to this in 2014
A few things have happened since then,

Moonee Valley is in the middle of a redevelopment, with apartments being built where the grandstands are now, and the track will end up being reconfigured with the finish line where the pokies venue is now. Grandstands will replace the pokies venue. No training goes on there, and most meetings are now held on Friday nights over the warmer months.

The Caulfield locals have long campaigned to open up the infield at Caulfield for full-time community use (Caulfield is on Crown land), which is now happening as part of a revamp of the course. The trainers who were based there have now moved, mostly to Cranbourne or Pakenham. There's also talk that training might end at Flemington & the trainers there will have to move, most likely to Ballarat or to the proposed new facility that's being talked about to the north of Melbourne.

Most of the complaints from the locals about Sandown were about the car events held there, the Easternats drew a lot of noise complaints apparently.

Last edited by DTFRMONT; 24-03-2022 at 05:42 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2022, 06:02 PM   #5
Hulsty

What do they expect for living near a race track. I'm heading there shortly for a 6hr event. Been to a fair few supercars and historics meetings there, sad to see it go. I see the Pakenham race course is looking for a new tender. My uncle is building a car museum nearby to show off his stuff to the public.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty View Post
What do they expect for living near a race track. I'm heading there shortly for a 6hr event. Been to a fair few supercars and historics meetings there, sad to see it go. I see the Pakenham race course is looking for a new tender. My uncle is building a car museum nearby to show off his stuff to the public.
Exactly what was happening to $ydney's Amaroo and Oran Park back in the 90's 00's.

Notice recently they are selling blocks of land close by Winton raceway WTF.
Hope they have the Due Diligence clauses, if you don't like loud big banger noise don't F-un buy here.
Original motorsports type buyers were never the problem, its the ones they usually sell to later.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #7
DTFRMONT

In the case of Sandown, it's not pressure from the locals forcing a sale, it's the MRC chasing dollars to pay for the redevelopment of Caulfield. Though this will have to be voted on by the MRC members, a few of whom are not in favour of selling up.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2022, 06:41 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT View Post
A few things have happened since then,

Moonee Valley is in the middle of a redevelopment, with apartments being built where the grandstands are now, and the track will end up being reconfigured with the finish line where the pokies venue is now. Grandstands will replace the pokies venue. No training goes on there, and most meetings are now held on Friday nights over the warmer months.

The Caulfield locals have long campaigned to open up the infield at Caulfield for full-time community use (Caulfield is on Crown land), which is now happening as part of a revamp of the course. The trainers who were based there have now moved, mostly to Cranbourne or Pakenham. There's also talk that training might end at Flemington & the trainers there will have to move, most likely to Ballarat or to the proposed new facility that's being talked about to the north of Melbourne.

Most of the complaints from the locals about Sandown were about the car events held there, the Easternats drew a lot of noise complaints apparently.
I was looking at the price of the one bedroom apartments they are building in the infield at Moonee Valley, $650,000 each when it was announced off the plan.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2022, 08:02 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I have always loved Sandown as a spectator, I seemed to like the 500 better than Bathurst......mainly because Ford's seem to win there more.

However, Sandown is where I cracked my racetrack cherry. The first time was a typical dreary and wet Melbourne morning, so I was somewhat held back. The second time was dry and oooh boy, did I have fun.

Helps when it's not your cars either.........

Favorite corners would be turn 4 and 9. Favorite bit was letting a supercharged V8 Jag run wild down the front and back straights, fastest I have ever been at over 230 kph...........and all legal!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2022, 08:09 PM   #10
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Sad, but unfortunately a sign of the times, the mighty $$.

I do remember being at school when the Touring cars -> V8's were racing that weekend and could hear them during practice.
Old 25-03-2022, 08:55 AM   #11
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The same thing is happening at Wakefield Park (Goulburn). They originally built the racetrack out there (200 km from Sydney !!) so they wouldn't have these dramas, now look.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #12
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be a crying shame when it happens as , for all it's foibles in the horse racing community, it was one of the best equipped tracks for the car racing community as it catered for everyone. I can't think of a better equipped track, i love the Island too but it just doesn't have all the facilities Sandown does. Don't even call Calder a track.
The hierarchy at supercars will be upset as they have been robbing the racing public blind for the past few years with having to buy seats that for decades came free with your ticket. have a read of barry Olivers statement about this weekends race in Tasmania in speedcafe and i completely agree with him.
However i digress, having been a motor racing follower since the 60s in Victoria, when the day comes to shut the gates for the last time , i for one will be sad. It's also sad that the powers that rule supercars WONT reconcile with the Fox family so we can go to Phillip island but theri infinite greed my yet be their downfall. that only leaves us Winton and long may that stay aroud.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2022, 03:53 PM   #13
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
The same thing is happening at Wakefield Park (Goulburn). They originally built the racetrack out there (200 km from Sydney !!) so they wouldn't have these dramas, now look.

Dr Terry
I Don't think it will end Well either...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/03/16...wn-for-months/
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2022, 06:44 PM   #14
hayseed

hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2022, 07:31 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be a sad day but the writing is on the wall for a while with the $$$. Same with Oran Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post

Dr Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed
I Don't think it will end Well either...

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/03/16...wn-for-months/
What's funny is there is some talk about moving to ACT. It's never going to happen with this government once the Karens get a whiff of it

I still remember going out to watch the sprint cars at Tralee with dad.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #16
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Totally off topic - but 1986 when Gricey punted off the Nissan Skylines at the rarely used hairpin...the crowd went ballistic...
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #17
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbvbvb088 View Post
Totally off topic - but 1986 when Gricey punted off the Nissan Skylines at the rarely used hairpin...the crowd went ballistic...
Was it this incident at the 1986 Castral 500?

https://youtu.be/8idIq5iQyDw?t=110
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #18
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same happened to Gold Coast track.

But we will have electric race cars soon !

Pit stop every 15min for new battery's to be changed, oh wont that be a thrill to watch them rant and rave being the highlight of the racing events as how quick it can be done etc. Oh Johnny has messed up on the battery change and the car has just blown up and a 6ft hole burnt into the ground in the pits. Smash on the Track and the same, big holes burnt into the track.

Toxic chemicals in the fires from the battery's could close down the Track for good then.

Oh no did I mention batters being toxic, in a world of all battery powered cars etc, how many cars etc is that ? Oh have we thought about that, the toxic pollution over all in fact would be way more then it is now overall.

Not to mention How about insurance cost, want to make sure such a battery powered car is not parked under your house or could be in a position to burn the house down.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post