Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
ELtim
Six One Eight

Default Obesity

I was watching the news earlier and they're trying to blame junk food advertising for their kids obesity. Now, I'm a generation before the obesity outbreak, but we had the same amount of advertising around us.

The problem isn't what the kids are eating, the problem is that they spend their days in a computer chair using msn instead of getting out and playing a sport.

I ate A LOT of junk food when I was younger. But I'm now 6ft tall and weigh 75kg.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

being fat is fine nowdays. those fat kids will probably all end up with office jobs where you dont need to be fit. they might die at a young age but they get to eat all the mars bars they want
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i do believe that people are quick to blame things out of their control, ie parents blaming ads instead of their raising of the child.

i think people just need to take more responsibility upon themselves, then again since im not a parent some could say my view is void
Old 17-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Seconded Sarge.

Adults need to act like adults and take responsibility for themselves now that they're all grown up.

Those who aren't all grown up come under the responsibility of those who are (namely, their parents)

I would like to note however that I am not at all referring to the many people in society who have a medical reason for their obesity.

When I was young (which wasn't all that long ago) we had junk food very rarely and it was considered a treat to be shared with friends on a special occasion. (eg; when my under 7s soccer team had a good season we all went to Maccas)

My GF grew up in a family where takeaway is considered the norm and often makes up dinner more than one (and sometimes 7) nights a week. I tell ya - moving in with them has almost killed me! (I'm quite health conscious) Luckily genetics and a high metabolism have kept her a size 6 despite of her diet, but I worry about the unseen impact this is having on her health. Anyone else heard of Atherosclerosis?

I try and do my bit to keep her active though. :

It's for her own good...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a fat barsted iwas a fat kid, its not my parrents fault They tryed every thign to get me off my fat a$$, its not the advertisements fault there sellign a leal product and one with all the consumer information has never been more informative as to the RDA's etc

I was fit and healthy till I was 14 I raced BMX I played soccer and I lived out side till dinner time then I just for some reason changed

Now my Son is 7 and plays soccer and does karati + rides his bike every where and rides his dirt bike when we can fit it in, my daughter is 4 and also does soccer and karati and the ride the bike thing along with her quad when she gets the time my sones harder to ket out in the sun shine but its somthing I encorage every chance I get

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Much research has been done, the TV has as much influence on kids as the parents. Hence why advertising for kids has to be restricted
Old 17-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Much research has been done, the TV has as much influence on kids as the parents. Hence why advertising for kids has to be restricted
Yes, "research". How can the kid get the junk food and sit on its behind on the PC if the parent doesn't bring the food into the house and tells them to bugger off outside and go play with their mates. Just another thing society nowadays is trying to blame on the "big bad corporations.

Heck I remember heaps more advertising for junk food from when I was a kid than what there is now and I am not overweight by any stretch of the imagination. Who else here remembers the Cheetos Cheetah and the Gobbledok?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I eat a lot of junk food and I'm not obese.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

my son loves his KFC nuggets, and mcdonalds, just like me, he is 7 and skinny as, my daughter is a little solid, she is 9. i anm currantly 78kg and 5'7. so i am obese , the problem is my clothes are hanging off me. if i was between 67-72kg,s i would look drawn and sick.
i guess if kids are fat, genes play a roll, and them kids need help with diet and exercise.
what about gnetically modified foods, and steroids, that our government puts io our food, that we buy from the supermarket. i can tell you now that nothing from a chicken is wasted , including the beak. leftovers are ground up and mixed with sawdust, and fish meal oil etc etc , and fed to livestock, with antibiotics, which comes back to us . and they are just wanting a reason to charge/ or find another tax/ profit, scare mongering campaign, i guarantee the chicken beaks will never be removed from our diet.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Im lucky, i eat that much crap its not funny but still im not fat at all, i pretty much live off hungry jacks, 2 minute noodles and party sausage rolls, only healthy food il eat is what Dad cooks for tea, even then its not always the most healthy food.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #11
HenryV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i anm currantly 78kg and 5'7. so i am obese , the problem is my clothes are hanging off me. if i was between 67-72kg,s i would look drawn and sick.
You are not obese. 78kg and 170cm gives a BMI of 26.9 - just slightly overweight based on "standard" body mass tables. If you have a solid frame your weight could well be spot-on.
HenryV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
HenryV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL XR6
Im lucky, i eat that much crap its not funny but still im not fat at all, i pretty much live off hungry jacks, 2 minute noodles and party sausage rolls, only healthy food il eat is what Dad cooks for tea, even then its not always the most healthy food.
I gather you are still pretty young. Wait until you get to your mid 20s, it all changes and you don't burn up crap food like you used to.
HenryV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
gtfpv
GT

i have a mate, who is 44, lives on smokes, kfc, pizza and beer, not a kilo overwieght.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I don't eat any junk food and I am over weight for my height but I am allergic to exercise My kids eat junk food in MODERATION and that is the key. Everything in moderation. My kids are involved in after school sports. Exercise and a well balanced diet = healthy kids.

Some kids do have genetic problems...but not all overweight kids. It is the responsibility of the parents to monitor but having said that...I have two teenagers..Try monitoring their intake!! Be easier to wrestle crocodiles!
Old 17-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I has everything to do with what kids eat these day's, what ever you put in your mouth is what you are, have you heard the saying you are what you eat, well it is right, I have been into strengh training for a while now, and it is soley what you put into your mouth, there is so much processed food's these day's, that is all we eat, it is so hard to even find good healthy food these day's, a well ballenced diet and sticking to it day in day out is the only way to remain healthy, the right carbs/pro/fat and calories for your build is so essential, it is all phyisics really, to much protien and it will turn into fat, to much off the wrong carbs and it will do the same, you have to work out what works best, but getting back to the kids, even if they are active and eat crap they will still gain weight, to many processed food's, but I can see how parents these days buy take away so often as it is sometimes cheaper and easier than cooking, have you been to the supermarket lately, fruit and veg is ridiculous, it is very expesnive, and far to easy to buy take away.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As to wade in, flame suit engage.

I used to walk/ride to school like most of the other kids, anyone who was dropped off by their parents was a wuss.
I did not play computer games, watch videos or surf the net, I had to make do with football, cricket and riding my pushbike about.
If I wanted to go to the beach (12km) or the shops (23km) I had to ride my pushy not get dropped off or in a taxi or a bus.
Every morning, lunch and after school we all played sport while waiting for the bus to pick up the kids from the beach and then rode home.
I had to deliver newspapers on my pushy, mow lawns and stack stock all week to save up to be able to pig out on junk food (milkshake and a pie).
I am 48 years old and can still out run most of the 20-35 year olds on the pistol range.

The reason why the average kids BMI is going up is because the namby pamby society we have created are so scared that the kids will be raped and killed and then raped again and THEN get hurt and sue us if they go outside the house more than 10 metres and the parents are so busy trying to earn the money to pay for the mobile phone/ipod/designer clothes/broadband/PS3/Xbox/Wii etc that each kid MUST have to be accepted by all the other kids that they keep the kids in cotton wool and compensate by doing everthing for them.

So people in the 25-50 age group. IT IS OUR FAULT not theirs. And only we can fix it.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #17
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

^^^^what he said
Old 17-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #18
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

Damm straight Flappist

We walked over 2k's to school everyday and never took the bus and we had to walk through the bush to get to school but had a blast nailing magpie's in the spring with our sling shot's and ice-cream buckets on our heads for protection from the deadly enemy from above

Played every kind of sport there was going around at the time and rode everywhere when we got our pushie's.

How things have changed over the years. But you get that

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #19
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

I've done my bit, got no kids!
But I give my god-kids the hurry-up to get out and do something though.
Fully agree with the cotton wooling of todays generation regarding the nasties out there, but the kids and I get to spend quality time when we're together.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

flappist you sir, have nailed it!
Old 17-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #21
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i have a mate, who is 44, lives on smokes, kfc, pizza and beer, not a kilo overwieght.
He's probably carrying it on the inside, ask him to have a cholesterol test.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #22
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I don't eat any junk food and I am over weight for my height, Be easier to wrestle crocodiles!
Well if you did Wrestle Crocs you would not be overweight :
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #23
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthxr6t
Damm straight Flappist

We walked over 2k's to school everyday and never took the bus and we had to walk through the bush to get to school but had a blast nailing magpie's in the spring with our sling shot's and ice-cream buckets on our heads for protection from the deadly enemy from above

Played every kind of sport there was going around at the time and rode everywhere when we got our pushie's.

Thats luxury.

I used to get up in morning at 10 o'clock at night, half hour before I went to bed. I worked 29 hours a day down mill, and had to pay owner for the privilege. School? Those magpies were our teachers.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #24
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthxr6t
Damm straight Flappist

Thats a good point, primary school I walked or road, hight school I walked to the bus stop (1.1k in the morning 1.8 in the after noon as it would mean staying on the bus another 3/4 hour to get round to the same stop as in the morning) yet I was at my parrents the other morning and th high scool bus now picks the kids accross the road up form there door, WTF?!?!?!?

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #25
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 5'10 and weigh 62kg.
I'M SO FAT I HATE LIFE!!!

I eat take away and fast food at least 5 times a week. Tv doesn't cause obesity, bad perenting and bad self control does.

When I was 15 I weighs 74kg, I was 62kg by the time I was 16 when I started boxxing and gym.

Havn't gained since then.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #26
andrewts
White Car Driver

I'm not fat, I'm just really cuddly. :

Seriously, I'm overweight, I'm 180cm tall and weigh 98kg. I walk to school 2.5km there and 2.5km back everyday plus the 8kms+ I walk when booted out of the house or bored at night or whatever. I eat well (junk food maybe once in moderation every week) and my cholesterol is right on track, I have no allergies and have no problems sleeping at night. I don't get sick very often, and I am fairly happy around the right people. I haven't gotten fatter nor thinner in recent years, so I think I'm just a fat guy. I like it, I'm healthy enough it seems, as being fat has never caused me a problem.
Old 17-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #27
BFYOOT

all this obesity crap is starting to drive me nuts. papers, magazines, telly, radio everything says how bad it is to be fat. what has this done......its made even more people think that being skinny is so much more important and you are a bad person if you even are normal weight. Try living with someone that has gotten to the stage where weight loss is the most important thing in life, and then try convincing them otherwise when its all they see in the papers etc.
live your life as you want, eat what you want, walk with the kids around the block, encourage playing, get dirty, eat mud pies and beetles, climb trees, roll down hills, get smashed by magpies, smash them back, ride the pushie through the puddles, make jump ramps on the street, have stacks, stacks and more stacks. above all enjoy yourself, do not listen to what the media says is normal or what you should do, there is no normal, thats why we are all different...............
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #28
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm a teacher and I can tell you that 8/10 students in my Yr 8 Homeroom have prepackaged snacks every recess break. Almost none have a sanga or fresh fruit.

Mostly they eat chocolate, chips, biscuits. These kids may ask for certain food, but it's the parents who pay up.

At lunch time, it's a bit different in that there are often sangas and sometimes fruit. But you guessed it, followed by more chocolate, chips and biscuits. They often also have money to get something else, lollies etc from the caf.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #29
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't know you were a teacher GK. That explains why you're so approachable and helpful

As for all this health talk, I'm off to the garage to pummel the crap out of the boxing bag, I need to lose a couple of kg's... on second thought, it's dark out and hot in the garage. I'll do it tomorrow...promise :P
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #30
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I suppose the Nintendo Wii and Guitar hero etc will start to get the fat kids up and moving.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post