Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Century Batteries

i had really good optima yellow top in my xd 351 ute that car could sit for up to 6-8 months and crank no worries but that battery was purchased 6years ago went with car when i sold it
now franco has me worried as I got a newer red top for my ba something inside me was telling me to keep that yellow top.... but thought just get a brand new one with cash in my hand LOL touch wood both were/have been really good

for anyone interested there is a youtube video on how to keep lead/acid plate battery's going using a welder to shock the build up off the plates a-lot of people swear by it......

https://youtu.be/KzOQH1twpI8

just make sure the water is filled right up to the bottom of the plug holes so hydrogen doesn't build up inside the battery

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker

Last edited by jakkes; 17-07-2022 at 05:12 PM.
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2022, 06:37 PM   #2
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought a Super Charge Battery for my BF GT, Got it for a reasonable price from a local supplier.

Lets See how this goes, hopefully I will not need to update this thread for another 6-10 years.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkes View Post
i had really good optima yellow top in my xd 351 ute that car could sit for up to 6-8 months and crank no worries but that battery was purchased 6years ago went with car when i sold it
now franco has me worried as I got a newer red top for my ba something inside me was telling me to keep that yellow top.... but thought just get a brand new one with cash in my hand LOL touch wood both were/have been really good

for anyone interested there is a youtube video on how to keep lead/acid plate battery's going using a welder to shock the build up off the plates a-lot of people swear by it......

https://youtu.be/KzOQH1twpI8

just make sure the water is filled right up to the bottom of the plug holes so hydrogen doesn't build up inside the battery
Intersting video, watched his other battery ones too, wish I had kept my original Motorcraft battery now. Would be worth rejuvenating if it works.

I remember years ago, our neighbour used to go around collecting old batteries in the early 90's then he used to sell batteries for half price with 12 month warranty. I always wondered what he did to them to bring them back to life.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2022, 06:27 PM   #4
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Intersting video, watched his other battery ones too, wish I had kept my original Motorcraft battery now. Would be worth rejuvenating if it works.
An extremely dangerous way to desulfurization a battery while applying an equalization charge. Really high risk of an explosion, spraying acid over people and equipment alike.

Desulfurization itself is a controversial topic. While some minor sulfurization can been reversed, it is done so with a mild over voltage (2.5V per cell), a trickle current, and a narrow temperature band (50-60C). Certainly not by blasting the guts of the battery out with a welder.

But once sulfuration has started, the battery is on its way out.

Most good battery chargers have an alternate desulfurization process (by exposing the battery to high frequency charging pulses) built into their charging cycle. But, that too has some question marks over it.

The best way not to get sulfurization is not to let the battery voltage drop below 12.4V when in storage, and keep the core battery temperature below 23C.

As an aside, have you checked out the links I posted earlier on the battery voltage to apply when a battery is effectively in storage?
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: