Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lightbulb 2012 Falcon updates?

2012 is coming. And I'm not talking about that poxy movie either or some Mayan prophecy.

I'm talking about what Ford has in store for the Falcon.

Given that the FG's 2010 "update" is going to be little more than Euro IV compliance and a few tech and trim upgrades, this leaves the door wide open for a major mid-cycle revision a-la the AU-BA change. I would speculate that this car is going to be the 'Huntsman' upgrade that was being worked on when the FG was released. Or something similar to it anyway. It stands to reason that, with the impact of the GFC and dramabombs being thrown around about FoA's future at the time, that significant model changes were put on the back burner. All of that crap has died down now of course.

So what do you think we can expect?

Weight loss?
Restyled front and rear?
Upgrades to the I6?
Implementation of ZF's 8 speed auto in premium models?
Ford's SYNC technology and voice control?
Adjustable rear seat headrests?
A workable solution for the spare tyre in e-gas variants?
E-gas available in more engine variants?
A revised IRS?
A sportwagon?

Personally I would like to think that all of the above would be under consideration - however the new Territory when it comes out January/February will give us a pretty good insight into what the FG's successor will (and won't) have. Naturally, the Coyote and EcoBoost programs will have well and truly been implemented by this stage.

Whatever it is will be, I would bet that the car's styling and major changes are locked in by now (or close to it).

Discuss/speculate/argue about it in this thread. Keep it sensible mmk

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 21-06-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: More clarity in the thread title.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The most sensible time to do a face lift is when the new Territory and EB I-4 Falcon are released,
all of the engine, body and trim changes on the line could be done at the one time...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

If youre looking at a 2008-2015 model run, you want to cut that in the middle which would be early 2012. As jpd80 says though, there's gunna be a big update for 2011 mechanically so why not upgrade alot of the package then. If you dont upgrade before the all new model again though thats a long time, so could they be running 3 major packages for the cars timeline?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Barra to go alloy with super dooper low friction spray bore liners. Cam torque actuating Di-VCT and electric steering.

Am I dreaming?

I think weight loss will probably happen, be a cold day in hell that a Sportswagon see's the light of day though.
Old 21-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Barra to go alloy with super dooper low friction spray bore liners. Cam torque actuating Di-VCT and electric steering.

Am I dreaming?

I think weight loss will probably happen, be a cold day in hell that a Sportswagon see's the light of day though.
The I6 needed neither an Alloy Block, nor Direct Injection to make Euro V in a Lab. If it continues, expect neither.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The most sensible time to do a face lift is when the new Territory and EB I-4 Falcon are released,
all of the engine, body and trim changes on the line could be done at the one time...
In the past though, they haven't had the capacity and the financial resources to do it like this. Unless the "update" is due much sooner and they have the cash. I'd wager that the Territory update by itself is going to take care of $500-600 Million by itself - great if they can do it all at once but I can't see it myself. Or is it a case of - better off taking a big burn for just one financial year (because of the R&D costs) instead of 2 smaller ones for 2 consecutive financial years??? I don't know the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
and electric steering.
Aha I knew there was another one I forgot. EPAS.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 21-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
MONSOON

Here is what I think will happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Weight loss?unlikely
Restyled front and rear?minor
Upgrades to the I6?minor
Implementation of ZF's 8 speed auto in premium models?NEVER
Ford's SYNC technology and voice control?maybe
A workable solution for the spare tyre in e-gas variants?unlikely
A sportwagon?NEVER
and as for electric steering, I hpoe that never happens, un less someoone figures out how to make it feel decent

Last edited by MONSOON; 21-06-2010 at 05:19 PM.
MONSOON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

No chance of a weight loss or sports wagon

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
No chance of a weight loss or sports wagon

Ditto ...
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a lot of feature improvements: LED lighting, HID headlights, SYNC, keyless entry and start, radar cruise control. I cant see massive changes to the mechanical package (suspension, trans, engines) as it is pretty good as is.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
In the past though, they haven't had the capacity and the financial resources to do it like this. Unless the "update" is due much sooner and they have the cash. I'd wager that the Territory update by itself is going to take care of $500-600 Million by itself - great if they can do it all at once but I can't see it myself. Or is it a case of - better off taking a big burn for just one financial year (because of the R&D costs) instead of 2 smaller ones for 2 consecutive financial years??? I don't know the answer.

Aha I knew there was another one I forgot. EPAS.
I remember Burela indicating that just because Euro IV was happening did not necessarily mean
that the deadline was the best time to introduce a lot of changes. I think he was tipping his hand
by saying Ford wanted to group as many changes as possible instead of doing things twice over...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSOON
and as for electric steering, I hpoe that never happens, un less someoone figures out how to make it feel decent

The new 3-series BMW's are fantastic in their steering feel.
Old 21-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Dave3911

Illuminated steering controls??? ;-)
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I think a lot of feature improvements: LED lighting, HID headlights, SYNC, keyless entry and start, radar cruise control. I cant see massive changes to the mechanical package (suspension, trans, engines) as it is pretty good as is.
+1 on all that

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I think you might be right. Feature and tech improvements/additions and a front/rear facelift (think 2010/11 Taurus) and that will be it - the basic mechanical package will be unchanged because its almost spot on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I remember Burela indicating that just because Euro IV was happening did not necessarily mean
that the deadline was the best time to introduce a lot of changes. I think he was tipping his hand
by saying Ford wanted to group as many changes as possible instead of doing things twice over...
I remember Burela saying that as well. The mid-cycle refresh may come much sooner then...

Old 21-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one has mentioned diesel... is this because it is confirmed to be in the Falcon around that time? Ford are always late to bring the goods to the table. A TD is long over due for the coon, don't even start on the Territory, by then it maybe too late, just like the Mitsi 380 (I'm not suggesting a similar fate, just pointing out it's 2-3 years behind the times)
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
No one has mentioned diesel... is this because it is confirmed to be in the Falcon around that time? Ford are always late to bring the goods to the table. A TD is long over due for the coon, don't even start on the Territory, by then it maybe too late, just like the Mitsi 380 (I'm not suggesting a similar fate, just pointing out it's 2-3 years behind the times)
There will not be a TD falcon in the near future, the Ecoboost 4 is arriving instead.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 22-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #18
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As previously mentioned, I'd hope to see cam torque actuated DIVCT implemented on the I6. It would further improve low rpm torque and reduce emissions due to its ability to go to nearly full advance at very low revs, unlike the current oil pressure operated system.

Weight savings are always welcome and almost always being considered but often require big changes of direction for big improvements. Probably shouldn't expect anything major unless they start dealing with plastic/composite/alloy panels which is extremely unlikely.

EPAS is on the rise and Falcon (or whatever...) will probably end up with it eventually but who knows when.

Some time ago I saw a beautiful design for a modular LPG tank. It could be made in virtually any size and a variety of interesting shapes due to its construction method. It's primarily a flat, wide cell like the petrol tank in older wagons. I think this is the only possible way to solve the LPG tank issue but first, the entire fuel system would probably have to be relocated further towards the CoG of the car and away from any rear impact zones... Would love to see it on Falcon one day but considering it's probably patented and therefore expensive, I doubt it'll happen.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #19
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

The updates are Euro IV compliance, a 4 cylinder engine and LPG. After that there are no known updates for the Falcon.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #20
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
As previously mentioned, I'd hope to see cam torque actuated DIVCT implemented on the I6. It would further improve low rpm torque and reduce emissions due to its ability to go to nearly full advance at very low revs, unlike the current oil pressure operated system.
Is it enough of a benefit over the current DIVCT to justify the investment? But, from memory it lowers parasitic losses as well as further maximising low-end torque. Both of which are good for economy. A 1-2% consumption/economy benefit.
Quote:
Weight savings are always welcome and almost always being considered but often require big changes of direction for big improvements. Probably shouldn't expect anything major unless they start dealing with plastic/composite/alloy panels which is extremely unlikely.
I can see that they might go to alloy IRS. Just as they went alloy for the fron suspension. Other gains will be hard to make mid cycle.
Quote:
EPAS is on the rise and Falcon (or whatever...) will probably end up with it eventually but who knows when.
Ford want EPAS in 85% of vehicles by 2012. Coyote 5.0L has EPAS in the US, but won't have in Aus for the time being. But it would be likely to gain it once the rest of the Falcon range did.

If Chrysler can spend $300M USD to build a factory to fit 8spd ZFs to their range of vehicles, I can't see why it couldn't be on the cards as long as it physically fitted. Otherwise expect more DSG/Twin Clutches like will be fitted to Eco-boost Falcons.

Stop-Start tech could be added too. Particularly if the 4.0 goes to DI.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #21
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Highly unlikely the I6 will get direct injection. I think the 2012 model stands a greater chance of getting alloy control arms for the IRS than the I6 getting DI (the R&D investment would almost be the same). And then I doubt Ford would commit to spending the money to upgrade that IRS when in 2014 or 2015 it will be out of production.

Parts and systems that are easily incorporated from the Ford global parts bin like EPAS and the SYNC system will more than likely get the gong.

Old 22-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #22
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Listening to Marin last Thursday at a networking conferance, he said that having the right technology was the way of the future of FoA. That is why the Fiesta is jammed with so many technologies such as ipod integration, voice control, etc. So my bet would be that the 2012 Falcon will mostlikely have more gadgets, like voice control, touch screen, ipad integration, Parking Assist Technology (i.e. such as in the Lexus it shows you your trajectory), etc.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Weight loss? Not likely but would be very nice
Restyled front and rear?Not necessary
Upgrades to the I6?Not really worth it
Implementation of ZF's 8 speed auto in premium models?Wishful thinking
Ford's SYNC technology and voice control?Possible
Adjustable rear seat headrests?Handy to have, but doubt it, can't even get LED rear lights
A workable solution for the spare tyre in e-gas variants?Possible
E-gas available in more engine variants?Doubt it
A revised IRS?Not in a "refresh"
A sportwagon?Nope
I'd like to see LED tail lights, Xenon headlights for G6(E) models, improvement of interior quality (better materials and fix the driving position) and a look at better suspension/tyre package for the performance models.
Old 23-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #24
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would imagine very little. The Falcon just doesn't sell in the numbers these days to justify anything beyond the essentials. Expect the cosmetic differences will be less than BA to BF. Most work will be on improving fuel economy and keeping the car competitive until Ford work out what replaces Falcon or they get approval to reskin the car again.

Days of Falcon and Commodore getting major updates are simply over. Neither sells enough cars to justify that. New face every eight years and minor refreshes and tweaks in between will be the new norm I would expect.

Equipment tweaks and new gizmos for the cabin are the most likely outcomes. Most buyers don't care about anything under the bonnet, if it has sync for the stereo or whatever.
Dan

Last edited by DanielXR8; 23-06-2010 at 11:19 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Days of Falcon and Commodore getting major updates are simply over. Neither sells enough cars to justify that. New face every eight years and minor refreshes and tweaks will be the new norm I would expect.

Dan

thats been the way for the past 20-odd years!

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 23-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #26
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
thats been the way for the past 20-odd years!
Point taken.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #27
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
I would imagine very little. The Falcon just doesn't sell in the numbers these days to justify anything beyond the essentials. Expect the cosmetic differences will be less than BA to BF. Most work will be on improving fuel economy and keeping the car competitive until Ford work out what replaces Falcon or they get approval to reskin the car again.

Days of Falcon and Commodore getting major updates are simply over. Neither sells enough cars to justify that. New face every eight years and minor refreshes and tweaks in between will be the new norm I would expect.

Equipment tweaks and new gizmos for the cabin are the most likely outcomes. Most buyers don't care about anything under the bonnet, if it has sync for the stereo or whatever.
Dan
This is sad but I beleive your right. It has had a good run, but the Falcon is getting sick in its senior years, and there is no cure. It appears this era is ending just as I'm entering. :(

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Dan
So what were the monumental things done from when the XK arrived at the dealer?

XK to XP was getting the fron suspension and automatic transmission to a point it didn't break so easily. Also engine upgrades. Stiffened the car.

XR to XY, XR was a proper upgrade with a new body, handling and engines. Good times so plenty of money spent.

XA to XC. XA was a new body on old mechanicals. XB is where the mechanicals started changing. Then the anti-pollution gear with the XC...but we got x-flow so a major engine upgrade.

XD to XF, XD new body on old mechanicals. XE got rear suspension upgrade. Engine upgrade for fuel economy (also EFI came in).

EA to EL, EA got the big upgrade...well EAII did with the new 4sp. Egine upgrades (and engine trials). The I6 had a few different options but that was with tickford being formed. EB got the V8. Ed was just refinement. EF and EL were really just outside upgrades.A/C also came standard.

AU - well IRS is a big one, VCT, complete new body, engine upgrades and weight savings. 5 different 6's 2 different V8's.

BA- FG, B series had a new front and back and roofline and much better regitity. New IRS. New manuals and Auto's. Interior electronics, DVCT, OHC V8, more safety features. FG has had a whole new reskin, upgraded engines, upgraded front suspension, weight saving and more electronics put into it.

From what I can see nothing is different from the start. Its just Ford have a smaller budget to play with, but can still make a very good car compared to countries that have 4 times the budget.
Old 26-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #29
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I for one think that a facelift will be unavoidable for the simple reason that the VE/Zeta has moved to a 6 year cycle and it will be due for revision 2012-ish - the Falcon will need some new visual mumbo to compensate.

Old 27-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #30
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
I for one think that a facelift will be unavoidable for the simple reason that the VE/Zeta has moved to a 6 year cycle and it will be due for revision 2012-ish - the Falcon will need some new visual mumbo to compensate.
The VE update comming up is visually no more then new bumpers. The most we will see with the FG over the nex few years will be the same. Sheetmetal changes are too costly.

\≡≡T≡≡/