Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
cowboy
Cowboy

Default Advice on Infringement Notice

Here's what happened.

I attended the Deniliquin ute muster last weekend in the old XD. After I arrived I backed into a parking spot in the paddock and a few guys heard the idle on the old girl and called out to give it a rev. I gave it a few revs for maybe 5 to 10 seconds. Next thing a police officer appears at my window and books me for "start/drive vehicle causing unecessary noise/smoke". $243 and 3 points. I would point out here thet the vehicle was stationary, I was not spinning the wheels or anything and the XD does NOT blow smoke.

Now I would cop this on the chin if I had been is a carpark somewhere or a suburban street but this was in a paddock at a festival started to celebrate the V8 ute. I observed probably 50 or 60 other utes do the same thing and much worse over the weekend, at times within sight of police officers and not get done.

I am going to write a letter and appeal this infringement, probably have no chance but I have to try. Any advice for what I should include?

1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
ch33z1l
Dawn

I got no advice mate, but damn that is rough! To create excess noise over those concert speakers that the Living End would be playing over, the XD must go alright!
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Busted

A photo of the ute showing that it was off the street.
Get a rego inspection done and attach it to show that the vehicle is in a raodworthy con ie not to loud. (delete the inspection stations name from the form the last thing you need is for your inspection station to get an ordit).
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try and look up the regulation/section and see if it says it has to be on a road or an are open to and used by the public.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

It does not have to be a on a public road, they could do you in your driveway if the neighbours complain. Having said that, the situation you got done sucks, getting done at a ute show?

I would fight it as I feel the magistrate would be against the use of these laws against people at automotive events that are sanctioned by the police and carry the correct liability insurance etc. If it was a carpark etc fair cop but not at a ute show/concert, would look brilliant in the news paper, certainly some negative publicity for the police.
Next time, don't go to an organised motoring enthusiasts event designed to prevent antisocial motoring behaviour from happening on the street, just do burn outs in the local shopping centre car park, same fine (before you all tell me off, that is sarcasm).
Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
FPV GT40
Banned

....sounds a bit rough getting a fine, that would be like getting a street racing fine at the drags....

Not sure how you would fight it but I would certainly not be happy.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a joke i wish i had some advice for you . Good luck
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
Evil Roy

Let us know how you get on.
Evil Roy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted
(the last thing you need is for your inspection station to get an ordit).
Yes, the last thing they need is an ordit. It's about as bad as having your tax return orditted, or those annoying stationary ordits at work.

Dem pesky ordits.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Rep yourself in court with all the paperwork..
Some times I think writting in gives them info to
present their case against you...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords
Yes, the last thing they need is an ordit. It's about as bad as having your tax return orditted, or those annoying stationary ordits at work.

Dem pesky ordits.

For a start, it is an audit (not ordit).

Secondly, no inspection station should have an issue with an audit or you using their inspection in legal matters, not if they are oing the job properly.

Somehow I doubt the car will pass exhaust noise testing so the whole testing idea is not a good plan. Taking into account that it occured at a closed automotive event, I do not think it will be necessary in order to get a magistrate to rule against the infringement. Like trying to dish out the same infringement in pit lane at bathurst
Old 11-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #12
Flaming Mo

I'm not familiar with NSW legislation so I did a bit of a search. It would appear that while no doubt you were perhaps nabbed by an over zealous officer, technically it would appear that your actions constitute an offence.

In Section 11 of NSW Road Rules 2008, it states that the rules apply to vehicles and road users on roads and road related areas.
Section 13 provides for a definition of "road related area" which includes;
Subsection (d) - an area that is not a road and that is open to the public for driving, riding or parking vehicles.

You could however possibly use the location and nature of the concert / meeting as a way of requesting a review of the infringement notice. I would perhaps argue that the spirit of this legislation was intended to protect the peace and tranquility of suburban streets and neighbourhoods - not necessarily outdoor motor shows and rock concerts.

It may not change the outcome but may be worth a try.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #13
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo
I'm not familiar with NSW legislation so I did a bit of a search. It would appear that while no doubt you were perhaps nabbed by an over zealous officer, technically it would appear that your actions constitute an offence.

In Section 11 of NSW Road Rules 2008, it states that the rules apply to vehicles and road users on roads and road related areas.
Section 13 provides for a definition of "road related area" which includes;
Subsection (d) - an area that is not a road and that is open to the public for driving, riding or parking vehicles.

You could however possibly use the location and nature of the concert / meeting as a way of requesting a review of the infringement notice. I would perhaps argue that the spirit of this legislation was intended to protect the peace and tranquility of suburban streets and neighbourhoods - not necessarily outdoor motor shows and rock concerts.

It may not change the outcome but may be worth a try.
Almost correct, a public open space (except the public road it’s self) is a Service Station driveway or a supermarket car park or similar, an area open to the public but still private land.
An area that is open to the public but has a gate or similar that is closed at least once a year is not a Public Open Space as such. Making excessive noise in a non-public open space doesn’t come under the traffic act and you cannot be fined under that law.
5 years ago I went to work in a blue uniform for 10 years
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG Turbo Ute
Almost correct, a public open space (except the public road it’s self) is a Service Station driveway or a supermarket car park or similar, an area open to the public but still private land.
An area that is open to the public but has a gate or similar that is closed at least once a year is not a Public Open Space as such. Making excessive noise in a non-public open space doesn’t come under the traffic act and you cannot be fined under that law.
5 years ago I went to work in a blue uniform for 10 years

So am I correct to interpret this post as the law of operation of a vehicle in a manner that produces excessive noise/smoke does not apply in the case of a ute muster if it is on grounds that are not public open space?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #15
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
So am I correct to interpret this post as the law of operation of a vehicle in a manner that produces excessive noise/smoke does not apply in the case of a ute muster if it is on grounds that are not public open space?
Correct, it cannot be applied as an offence as part of the road rules as it wasn't on a Public road or public open space, by the way, drink driving applies even on private land as that is termed a criminal offence.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #16
Supercharged

Think about it this way, if the Traffic Laws applied on private land (not being a public open space) you could be done for speeding on a race track. If he writes off to the commisioner it would be withdrawn as it is a bluff by the officer. Only the owner of the land or the person who leased it could take action and that would require a court case and at best would be a fine, can't have points awarded.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #17
gros20
Starter Motor

i don't know i fteh show was a local show for u. but i would write a letter to the paper no doubt witha bit of luck it will get in the paper and they will drop the fine.

I did this when me and my then partner went shoping to get odd and ends and amgainst it boughta box of condoms and was refused service at the counter cause we had soem condoms in the trolly.
any way paper picke up story then ity just snow balled and after taht wollies was very apolgtic. Even today tonight called up want teh story :p
gros20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #18
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
For a start, it is an audit (not ordit).

Secondly, no inspection station should have an issue with an audit or you using their inspection in legal matters, not if they are oing the job properly.
Obviously sarcasm was never your strong point
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 03:20 AM   #19
Ridin-High

If you haven't had a fine for awhile or ever, might be an idea to make a written appeal

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords

Dem pesky ordits.

Bawhahahahahahahahahahahaha, you made my day.

Quote: