Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Chev's new V8.

Quote:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/02/c...8-for-sebring/

Back in August when General Motors introduced the all-new GT2 class Corvette C6.R, it ran downsized 6.0-liter version of the 7.0-liter V8 from the long-dominant GT1 car. At the launch, Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan told us the 6.0-liter was just an interim engine. With revised GT rules on tap for 2010, GM was already planning a brand-new engine for its race Vette.

Unlike the 6.0/7.0, which is a ground-up race engine that only shares basic architectural dimensions with the production small block, the 2010 C6.R's V8 is a new 5.5-liter unit that will indeed be derived from the production engine found in roadgoing Corvettes. In fact, the 5.5-liter race engine will be built at GM's Performance Build Center alongside ZR1 and Z06 V8s.

Fehan has confirmed that the 5.5 is running on the dyno and will make its race debut at the 12 Hours of Sebring in March. We don't have any additional details on the new engine yet, although we were told earlier that it is based on the next-generation production small-block, which we expect to see in the Corvette soon.
The question is, when will it get here?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting that they seem to be downsizing as well...
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

I really hope they don't put any of that DOHC bullsh!t on them, which is what I suspect they will do if they're decreasing displacement.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Ford went with the 4 valves per cylinder arrangement for the new 5.0. I would imagine that GM is doing something similar.

I wonder if any engineers thought about a canted valve arrangement at either company?

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
The question is, when will it get here?
that engine was tested by hsv in november, as i said in other posts.
but as a 5.3 iirc ls4

so i think may/june release. (thats my opinion)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Were'nt GM talking about a dual-cammed pushrod multivalve engine at some point - keeping the cams and the heavy stuff out of the head and down in the block?

Is this the first engine developed with Government funding, or have there been others?

Lukeyson
Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Were'nt GM talking about a dual-cammed pushrod multivalve engine at some point - keeping the cams and the heavy stuff out of the head and down in the block?

Is this the first engine developed with Government funding, or have there been others?

Lukeyson
I remember that one. I think it was back in 2002 Wheels were speculating that the LS2 would have 2 cams in the block.

Is the new V8 being developed soley for racing or is there going to be a road going version aswell?
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
I really hope they don't put any of that DOHC bullsh!t on them, which is what I suspect they will do if they're decreasing displacement.
Yes.. we dont want them coming into the 21st century with the latest technology and making decent power/displacement do we...
:

Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose HSV will be replacing their existing 6.2L with this beast for the entire HSV range as soon as they can, no doubt before the end of this year.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier

Lukeyson
That engine was canned years ago as GM didn't think that it provided any worthwhile benefits over the current push rod architecture for the added complexity.

From my 'digging around', I believe that the Generation 5 (GENV) motor will be a direct-injected push-rod 5.5Litre V8 with 11.5:1 compression. Figures being touted for the production motor are 340kW/600Nm. The motor will debut in Corvettes next year but as a race only motor - don't expect to see it in production form before 2012. (Interestingly the race motor and the production motor will share the same block)

Yes GM are 'downsizing' as they are subject to the same CAFE restrictions as every other manufacturer and these restrictions are getting tougher to meet each year.

What GM/Holden/HSV will use in the interim - I don't know?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
Saraco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yes.. we dont want them coming into the 21st century with the latest technology and making decent power/displacement do we...
:
If any of you read HOT ROD, POPULAR HOT RODDING or CAR CRAFT you''ll find that the FORD OHC engines are largely ignored, by the high performance aftermarket. Whereas the GM LS series and 3GEN CHRYSLER HEMI, have a flood of aftermarket parts, coming all the time. Of course, these engines have pushrods and they are every bit as powerful and efficient as OHC engines, without the complexity and bulk. Hot Rodders i.e. backyard hi-po enthusiasts, have traditionly avoided OHC engines, in the V8 world anyway, seems they still do!
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Will this 'race only' engine pass emissions?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A tid bit from a new years BBQ.... Euro 4 is causing a few headaches down at clayton...

Old 04-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A tid bit from a new years BBQ.... Euro 4 is causing a few headaches down at clayton...
Is that with the current LS3 or another under development?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #15
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by svov88
If any of you read HOT ROD, POPULAR HOT RODDING or CAR CRAFT you''ll find that the FORD OHC engines are largely ignored, by the high performance aftermarket.

Yes, if you read those more "old school" magazines it will appear that way. If you read Modified Mustangs, Modular Mustang, and other newer magazines you will find a slue of aftermarket companies that produce all kinds of performance parts for those engines. There is a ton of support and aftermarket goodies for these engines. You just need to look in the publications that are more geared towards those engines, and the old stand-by's do not cater to those enthusiasts so much.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
i think you'll find the replacment is the headache, not the euro4.
as the ls3 and it's driveline is becoming unfeasable.

maybe the cost of a torque tube is prohibitive.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
If any of you read HOT ROD, POPULAR HOT RODDING or CAR CRAFT you''ll find that the FORD OHC engines are largely ignored, by the high performance aftermarket. Whereas the GM LS series and 3GEN CHRYSLER HEMI, have a flood of aftermarket parts, coming all the time. Of course, these engines have pushrods and they are every bit as powerful and efficient as OHC engines, without the complexity and bulk. Hot Rodders i.e. backyard hi-po enthusiasts, have traditionly avoided OHC engines, in the V8 world anyway, seems they still do!

It certainly seems that way. Shoehorning them into the RX series mazdas and the like is not uncommon if posts on other generic sites is anything to go by. Be interesting to see what the after market crate numbers are like.

Just doing up the old windsor lump opened my eyes to the relative difference in price and range between the two rivals.

Personally I prefer DOHC anything, but the LS motors have served me well, as have the Ford sixes, both of them uncomplicated.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i think you'll find the replacment is the headache, not the euro4.
as the ls3 and it's driveline is becoming unfeasable.

maybe the cost of a torque tube is prohibitive.

From what I can fathom, the LS3 gm/km betters Tier2 Bin4, equals the C0 and markedly exceeds the other Euro 4 requirements except possibly the THC, only because Bin4 doesn't have that as a variable?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #19
Kamshaaft

Thumbs up

Quote:
:
What's so 21st century about DOHC as opposed to OHV?

DOHC valvetrain configurations were all introduced around the late 1910s and early 1920s - Hardly 21st century, heck, it's barely out of the 19th century - as opposed to pushrod engines which came into being around about the turn of the 1950s. People were listening to Richie Valens.

The multitude of OHC configuartions have been developed and improved over the last 30 years from where they once were, co-inciding with numerous fuel crisis. Pushrods haven't needed that degree of development.. ..but if you think pushrods have stayed the same since the dawn of time, you clearly haven't seen GM's LS9 (as one example).

OHC & DOHC isn't a newer, more advanced, or overall superior technology as the common myths would have you believe. More complicated does not, by default, mean more advanced. In fact an old engineering adage says that the reverse is true, but that's just an old adage.

DOHC & SOHC just have their benefits and drawbacks just as pushrods do.
And there's a very long list of all different kinds of pros and cons for each, which becomes more accurate once you get more specific.

Don't get me mistaken; I'm not flatout saying OHV/Pushrod engines are superior either, it all really depends on the application for which the engine is to be used, thats where the pluses and minuses for different valvetrains actually mean something - but I'll make it clear here that the area in which pushrod technology excels at at least the same level as OHC isn't exactly a niche.

I don't want to take this off topic (it's already been flogged a million times all over the net, and in much more detail too), I'm just trying to make a very small point here - that OHV isn't antiquated or outdated. AB did it better.

Last edited by Kamshaaft; 04-01-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

On a Corvette forum they are saying it will be released in 2012 for the C7 Corvette. I would have thought that timing would be about right for the all new Commodore which is supposed to be released some time in 2012. Until then, what will HSV run? I would have thought they'd just make the LS3 and L98 euro 4 compliant.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #21
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
On a Corvette forum they are saying it will be released in 2012 for the C7 Corvette. I would have thought that timing would be about right for the all new Commodore which is supposed to be released some time in 2012. Until then, what will HSV run? I would have thought they'd just make the LS3 and L98 euro 4 compliant.
the LSx series are allready euro4 compliant, just that they have run their course.
the GEN V LR series made at bowlings green kentucky is the new donk for GM corp.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #22
Kamshaaft

^How long do new LS engines normally take to show up on Aussie shores? I think from memory the LS1 was available in 1998 model Corvettes, and was available here a very short time after, but then it seemed HSV didn't get their LS2s until pretty late on. They really missedthe boat with the introduction of the XR6T at the perfect time for Ford.

But if there's one thing GM isn't bad at, it's bringing out new engines all the time..
..and I can never wait to see what Ford do in response (when they do).

It'll be really interesting to see where engine development here goes now with "Government Motors" over there (is that name actually legit, or just a bit of wordplay?? ). As someone said, this engine is the first engine that's come out under them, and it really bucks the obvious trend. But who knows how long it was in R&D? It would be a substantial period of time, I would have thought, and what goes up (displacement)must come down, I guess.

*shrug*
Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #23
burnz
VFII SS UTE

VTII-1999 got the LS1 as well the callaway unit.
VY-2002 got the L98 hsv 285
vz-2004 297
yzii-ls2
Old 04-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #24
Saraco

Quote:
What's so 21st century about DOHC as opposed to OHV?

DOHC valvetrain configurations were all introduced around the late 1910s and early 1920s - Hardly 21st century, heck, it's barely out of the 19th century - as opposed to pushrod engines which came into being around about the turn of the 1950s. People were listening to Richie Valens.

The multitude of OHC configuartions have been developed and improved over the last 30 years from where they once were, co-inciding with numerous fuel crisis. Pushrods haven't needed that degree of development.. ..but if you think pushrods have stayed the same since the dawn of time, you clearly haven't seen GM's LS9 (as one example).

OHC & DOHC isn't a newer, more advanced, or overall superior technology as the common myths would have you believe. More complicated does not, by default, mean more advanced. In fact an old engineering adage says that the reverse is true, but that's just an old adage.

DOHC & SOHC just have their benefits and drawbacks just as pushrods do.
And there's a very long list of all different kinds of pros and cons for each, which becomes more accurate once you get more specific.

Don't get me mistaken; I'm not flatout saying OHV/Pushrod engines are superior either, it all really depends on the application for which the engine is to be used, thats where the pluses and minuses for different valvetrains actually mean something - but I'll make it clear here that the area in which pushrod technology excels at at least the same level as OHC isn't exactly a niche.

I don't want to take this off topic (it's already been flogged a million times all over the net, and in much more detail too), I'm just trying to make a very small point here - that OHV isn't antiquated or outdated. AB did it better.
KAMSHAAFT, good point. Do you remember about a decade ago, the MERCEDES/ILMOR engine in the PENSKE that won the INDY 500? Yes, it was a pushrod 2 valve engine! Only legal in the INDY 500 because that race, is sanctioned under USAC not CART like the rest of the INDYCAR races were.Pushrods aren't always ancient and inferior!
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #25
andrew77
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
VTII-1999 got the LS1 as well the callaway unit.
VY-2002 got the L98 hsv 285
vz-2004 297
yzii-ls2
Vy was still running an ls1
L98 was a 6.0 litre
andrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #26
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I must say its a surprise to see GM making the v8s smalller,i thought they would be making 8 and 9ltr motors by now lol!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #27
Kamshaaft

Thumbs up

Quote:
KAMSHAAFT, good point. Do you remember about a decade ago, the MERCEDES/ILMOR engine in the PENSKE that won the INDY 500? Yes, it was a pushrod 2 valve engine! Only legal in the INDY 500 because that race, is sanctioned under USAC not CART like the rest of the INDYCAR races were. Pushrods aren't always ancient and inferior!
Well highlighted! Now that you mention it I can actually recall that particular victory right there. An absolutely epic victory it was too.

Haha, I really am getting off topic here.

Last edited by Kamshaaft; 04-01-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #28
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It makes me laugh that a lot of Ford boys jumped on the ohc band wagon in 2002 when the BA came out. If they were so convinced they would have been making a scene ten years earlier when pretty much every jappa and euro had ohc.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #29
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew77
Vy was still running an ls1
L98 was a 6.0 litre
correct i'm having trouble keeping up.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #30
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
^How long do new LS engines normally take to show up on Aussie shores? I think from memory the LS1 was available in 1998 model Corvettes, and was available here a very short time after, but then it seemed HSV didn't get their LS2s until pretty late on.
HSV got the LS2 in the VZ round about the same time C6 came out in 2004.

Also, VZ initially had the LS1 until Euro3 came into effect, then made the switch to the 6.0 L76.