Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Insurance gripe - Shannons

Now as a "motoring enthusiast", I actually get out and drive my cars. They aren't locked away in a shed and wrapped in cotton wool. So wasn't I the surprised one on making my first claim....

I have 4 of my cars insured with Shannons (as we all know they are for the 'motoring enthusiast' : ). I've been with Shannons since purchasing my XB as they showed the benefits of insuring an old car for agreed value and choice of repairer.

After my few years of accumulating older cars, I have put them all to Shannons as nothing seemed to offer the same 'options'.

I decided to insure my daily driver also with them. This car maybe a daily, but it is my pride and joy and I take great care of her. I didn't really see the point to going anywhere else to insure her.

Well a month ago I had my first ever claim in the BFII. Clean driving record, no previous claims, and I wasn't at fault for the accident. (hit a roo at 5:15am!). Rang Shannons as soon as I was in an area with service and reported that I hit the roo and was told I would be rung back later when the dayshift came on.

At 1pm I hadn't heard anything so I rang them... Needless to say it was news to them. After being re-asked all the questions I had previously answered, I was asked "who owned the animal" to which I replied "the Victorian Government", they don't have a sense of humour!

By 3pm that same arvo the car was in at the panelbeater being assessed. It wasn't until 12 days later that the insurance assessor gave the go ahead to the panelbeater to work on the car.

If it wasn't for the panel beater going ahead ordering the parts as soon as the car arrived in the yard, I wouldn't have had my car back yet! What's so hard about making a straight forward claim?

Upon making a claim I found out something else.... I lose my no claim bonus (for that car). Turns out that the car must be entering its 4th year without claims to be eligible for this. It doesn't matter if you have 7 or 40 years of faultless driving to your record, its if the car has had a claim... Which I find personally pathetic as the car isn't even 2 years old!

Apparently its outlined in my PDS, but I guess that just serves as a reminder to shop around and don't go for the first schmuck that says their a like minded 'enthusiast'. Also that customer loyalty means nothing....

Oh well a not so great end to my crappy year

Melz

PS. Panel beater did an absolutely fantastic job, thanks to the choice of repairer!

PPS. Shannons knows how I feel too... I just got a phone call from one of their service reps. I think they "valued my feedback"

Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

ahhh, there's your first mistake... you belived the advertising hype, then they had you!!

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear about the accident but it is good that it is all repaired to your satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
(as we all know they are for the 'motoring enthusiast' : ).
This is now the problem with Shannons. Since Suncorp bought them they couldn't care less about the people they insure, it is just dollars to them. And with all insurers they will rip you a new one any chance they get.

I had a very similar problem with NRMA when I had an accident with my ute. Like you my repairer ( a good friend) was the one that did the right thing and went ahead with the repairs as I had choice of repair and he was a NRMA repairer anyway. Needless to say NRMA got the flick.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I had issues when making a claim for the XR too Melz, let's just say that the words I had with their moron assessor violate the T&C of this forum.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

mmm good to hear this actually, saves me from shopping around, i just turned 25 and have had turbo fpvs for 4-5 years now.. I have had to make one claim with Just Car and they were great, im now with AAMI (the same company as just car) and am still very happy. MY premium dropped by $450 when i turned 25! Woo Hoo
Old 29-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Your no claim bonus is just that...a NO CLAIM bonus. When there is no recovery or you cannot identify the at fault party, be that a theft, a car that was parked with the third party not leaving any details or an animal your no claim bonus should be affected to make it fair on other policy holders as a recovery cannot be made which means the entire client base pay for the repairs. If a protected rating or no claim bonus is important to you, that is something you should look for in a policy when you take it out.

I don't know why the delay in the assessing. but the above is right no matter who you insure with unless there is a protected no claim bonus which is a benifit of a policy that offers that, not a right.
Old 29-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
BA Baracus
xls

It's usually an additional charge (alters the quote) with many companies to get protection on your no claim bonus or rating one for life. I deal with PDS documents for work and it really pays to read them thoroughly even though they are often long and can be a little difficult to take in all the info. Not necessarily for catches or tricks or anything like that, but just so you can be sure the policy you took out matches everything you discussed/entered online when initiating the policy. The PDS can at times vary despite the policy being the labeled the same (ie: standard comp, gold comp or whatever it may be).

LoL at who owns the roo?
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Shannons quoted around $400 higher for an XR6 Turbo than the RACV did when I was shopping around, and my current car, the SSV Sportwagon, was the same deal... no need to say who I took my policy out with !

Shannons did however ask lots of 'car enthusiast' related questions, so maybe for something older or more exotic, the details requested and subsequently their cover could be more suitable.
Old 29-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recently made an insurance claim for a minor accident that my missus had in her new suzuki swift. She was not at fault and there was about $3500 damage caused some old fart towing a car trailer through a crowded shopping centre car park ( he scraped the rear quarter and door and trashed the bumper and mag wheel).

Unlike Melz i had the best experience with Shannons. I made a phone call and gave them all the details of the accident. They gave me a claim number over the phone and said they would get the damage assessed.

Within two days i received an sms to confirm my claim, assured me there was 0 at fault and no loss of no claim bonus.

The car was repaired and i received a phone call from shannons to see if the repairs were completed to my satisfaction. Unfortunately they were not, so they are sending an assessor out to the repairer to talk to them and to reasses my car. They told me if i am not happy with the repair it will be done again.

I can honestly say i was puzzled at the whole experience cause it was so easy. I kept waiting for the catch, but there has been none.

No i dont work for shannons and was not paid for this post!! I guess there are always positives and negatives to all companies. I generally a negative person so this post is a rarity for me!!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FairmontPom]Shannons quoted around $400 higher for an XR6 Turbo than the RACV did when I was shopping around, and my current car, the SSV Sportwagon, was the same deal... no need to say who I took my policy out with !

I was insured with the RAA in SA years ago and was dropped from a rating 1 driver to a rating 5 for a $1400 accident.

Paid for that for the next five years in excessively high premiums.

I would give them a big miss!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
This is now the problem with Shannons. Since Suncorp bought them they couldn't care less about the people they insure, it is just dollars to them. And with all insurers they will rip you a new one any chance they get.
You're dead right Dave, and this opinion is echoed by some people I know who used to work for them. Its all about the numbers now.

I had to make a claim with them earlier this year with my FG - a very easy experience to do and they had no problems with me telling them when, where and how the repairs were going to start. Luckily the total cost of repairs was so low that I just paid for it out of my own pocket - it was actually cheaper than what my excess was, so I cancelled the claim and have still got my NCB.

That said though, I got the premium renewal the other day in the mail and it has risen by $100 this year - even though no other circumstances have changed with the car. I queried this with them as to why it has risen when nothing has changed and I have not made a claim - the answer was 'economics'. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it I guess) Shannons are by far the cheapest option for me - being 23 and owning a brand new V8 does have it's downsides.
Old 29-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

It seems Shannons are quite hit and miss with their assessors. Considering both Melz and I live in the same part of the state I dare say we both may have had the same assessor.

If so I really do feel for you Mel.

Aust I agree with you on that. I queried them on what the XR will cost to insure when I get it going again at the new house (it's under laid up cover at the old mans atm) and they reckon it will go up by $200 a year from what it used to be. That's even though it will now have a garage!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The "agreed" value on my XR8 has dropped twice since I insured it despite spending over 30k on it. Seems it's only an agreed value as long as Shannons sees it.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
The "agreed" value on my XR8 has dropped twice since I insured it despite spending over 30k on it. Seems it's only an agreed value as long as Shannons sees it.
Yes but it's only a B series............

j/k :
Old 29-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #15
hodge_williams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

soz to hear about that. I had my lib gt insured with shannons and only had to wait 1 year for lifetime no claim bonus/rating protection. I had made 3 claims (none of which were my fault) and all were fixed within 7 days.
hodge_williams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #16
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Hmm I'm with Shannons - lets hope I never need to make a claim - touch wood.

Also Melz, hitting a roo is an at fault accident. At fault also means "no third party to claim against".

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontPom
Shannons quoted around $400 higher for an XR6 Turbo than the RACV did when I was shopping around, and my current car, the SSV Sportwagon, was the same deal... no need to say who I took my policy out with !

Shannons did however ask lots of 'car enthusiast' related questions, so maybe for something older or more exotic, the details requested and subsequently their cover could be more suitable.
I've been with Shannons for around 20 years with my MG's, when discussing policies even recently with my daily and newer (classic) acquisitions on occasions they may have initially appeared unreasonable, but found that after discussing the situations with the rep they did realise then and have been most reasonable.

Regarding the 12 day delay with the assessing, there's normally a story from both sides, but when I had a no fault claim a few years ago with my daily they assessed it the next day and gave the go ahead straight away. No problems whatsoever.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #18
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
You're dead right Dave, and this opinion is echoed by some people I know who used to work for them. Its all about the numbers now.

I had to make a claim with them earlier this year with my FG - a very easy experience to do and they had no problems with me telling them when, where and how the repairs were going to start. Luckily the total cost of repairs was so low that I just paid for it out of my own pocket - it was actually cheaper than what my excess was, so I cancelled the claim and have still got my NCB.

That said though, I got the premium renewal the other day in the mail and it has risen by $100 this year - even though no other circumstances have changed with the car. I queried this with them as to why it has risen when nothing has changed and I have not made a claim - the answer was 'economics'. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it I guess) Shannons are by far the cheapest option for me - being 23 and owning a brand new V8 does have it's downsides.

One of the questions shannons ask you each time your policy is renewed is 'Have you have any accidents whether at fault of not in the past 12 months.' I belived this is to ascertain how likely you are to be in an accident whether at fault or not. This could relate to the times you drive the vehicle as well as how defensively you drive the vehicle. The fact you had an at fault accident quite possibly raised the 'risk' of insuring you.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
One of the questions shannons ask you each time your policy is renewed is 'Have you have any accidents whether at fault of not in the past 12 months.' I belived this is to ascertain how likely you are to be in an accident whether at fault or not. This could relate to the times you drive the vehicle as well as how defensively you drive the vehicle. The fact you had an at fault accident quite possibly raised the 'risk' of insuring you.
Maybe - but the claim I was going to make was actually for carpark damage with no other vehicle involved.
Old 30-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #20
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

I think it sucks that you loose rating 1 for hitting a bloody roo.

Some of the things seemed strange to me.
The car lost rating 1 not Mel, work that out.
All the other cars stay as rating one according to the dude on the other end of the phone. :

After 2 or 3 days of the car been at the repairers and hearing nothing Mel called Shannons again to see what was going on.
They claimed they didnt even know the car was there. WTF :

Mel rang them to tell them exactly where is was when she dropped it off.

Who ever the space cadet was that dealt with this claim he should loose his job over it. Why ask all the questions if no one is going to log it into their system.

The whole process was well below average.

I guess you win some and loose some.
At least the car was fixed properly, no thanks to Shannons.

I just hope I dont need to make a claim anytime soon.

Kev

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT