Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Trade test at TAFE Marine Mechanical

Hi guys,

I'm interested in doing a trade test at TAFE for marine mechanical. Has anyone done a trade test at TAFE?

I have worked part time on Saturdays at a boat shed for many years and am interested in turning a hobby into a career. Can't afford to do an apprenticeship and from what I've seen I know more than the ever age 4th year apprentice. I'm not great with cars but very much at home with boats and outboards.

The TAFE guy did not give me much into. Thought I would check if anyone here had done similar.
riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

With all due respect I don't think working one day a week qualifies you for this test.
I did a similar assessment for an Automotive qualification after working full time in the industry for 10 years.
The assessment itself was quite comprehensive and went all day. Everything was covered from ohs practices to primary and secondary windings of an ignition coil.

I passed ok as the assessor could see I knew enough despite plenty of holes in my knowledge. It felt good to finally be qualified but in reality it hasn't helped my career as no one has ever asked to see my certificate.
The only time it would be useful is for further official qualifications like roadworthy or air con licenses.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Trade test at TAFE Marine Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat321 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm interested in doing a trade test at TAFE for marine mechanical. Has anyone done a trade test at TAFE?

I have worked part time on Saturdays at a boat shed for many years and am interested in turning a hobby into a career. Can't afford to do an apprenticeship and from what I've seen I know more than the ever age 4th year apprentice. I'm not great with cars but very much at home with boats and outboards.

The TAFE guy did not give me much into. Thought I would check if anyone here had done similar.
Only one way to find out, then you will know where you stand and what you have to do to be properly qualified.