Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Tyre expiry dates??

Received an email this morning about tyre expiry dates... 4 years?? I have never heard of this... anyone??

TYRE EXPIRY
Vehicle tires have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM). Thereafter, the tire
expires and may burst whilst in use. How to find out whether your tire has expired? Check for a
stamp like this: (*2603*) There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this serial number.
The first two numbers 2 6 will tell which week of the year has it been manufactured.
NB: One year has 52 weeks. The last two numbers represent the year of make. Therefore, *2603*
shows that the said tire is manufactured in the 26th week of the year 2003. *2699* this shows that the
tire is made in the 26th week of 1999.
Check all your tires for safety purposes. Do not use expired tires. They are likely to burst (especially
when running in hot weather) because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked.

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 13-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
mrfordguy

never heard of it either and i used to be a tyre fitter.. but that ws 10 years ago so things could have changed since..
it does make sense though.. although i have driven on tyres that im sure were from the 80's and had no problems.

one would think that if it is true then the insurance companys and police would be on top of it making sure..
Old 13-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just thinking the other day that I should use the spare tyre. It was brand new when I got the car, 7 years ago. Still nice and black with heaps of tread!
Old 13-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The flexable brake lines is what gets me on older cars...
Sheesh that means I will NEVER get to wear any tyres out!!!
Be different if garaged out of heat and sun??
I guess.. After Fords issues with the Explorer I can see why they
do this to save on legal issues...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 13-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
the tire..your tire
NB: One year has 52 weeks...
Note the the spelling is 'Murrican.

Another giveaway it's from Seppoland is the fact that they have to point out that a year consists of 52 weeks.:

Whats the bet that it originated from a Tyre dealer.

And dont forget that this from a country where you can buy a 2008 car in August 2007!

Ignore it.
Old 13-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
GoldCoastGTP
Luxo rocket

What a crock of bah humbug
Tyres do go off only if they are in the sun all day for about 10 years
From a tyre dealer using the scare campaign just to improve hi bottom line
Old 13-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
mcnamg

This site has some interesting info on it if you want to find out more

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_expire.htm

no rules currently in place re tires best before dates as its too hard to determine but European manufactures recommend 6 years as the longest you should use them for.
Old 13-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Kryton

anyone that owns a motorcycle would already know that tyres are date stamped.
go look if you havent already.
the only difference is that motorcycle tyres use a 3 number code.
first 2 are week, last number is year.
266 would be week 26 2006 (or 1996 if the tyre is really old)
Old 13-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Always made me wonder why people with old Muscle Cars would drive it around on a 30 something year old Tyre. The older Rubber gets, the harder and less grippy it gets. I know I would hate to try and drive my XB on a set of Olympic Reflex Tyres from 1974......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
Old 13-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
XRMATE
regular user (not drugs)

I am in the conveyor belt industry and they put a wax on the belts which is a UV protectant. Stops the belt from hardening and cracking in the sun, however with age they still crack.Some belts last 10-15 yrs before they are replaced. I would very much doubt they would use this on tyres as it would make them very slippery.
Old 13-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The rubber on some new shoes will only last 3-4 years or so too. Even if you put them in the cupboard and pull them out years later the rubber sole just crumbles.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 13-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
cupic
Nikon

Turbo nick brought up this question on another forum and it was he opinion that tyres out of the element stored in the boot could last up to 6yrs or longer
Old 13-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #13
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
Always made me wonder why people with old Muscle Cars would drive it around on a 30 something year old Tyre. The older Rubber gets, the harder and less grippy it gets. I know I would hate to try and drive my XB on a set of Olympic Reflex Tyres from 1974......
I wondered that aswell, but with a mates XY GS, it was ****ing rain and he was driving on aquajets...
The word 'suicide' came up in conversation...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 13-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #14
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Most manufacturers have a 5 year warranty from date of manufacture, ie if the tyre falls apart after this they'll not cover it. I've seen 6 year old tyres that should'nt be on the road, and 25 year old one that are fine, too many factors involved to put a firm "expiry" date on them

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Old 13-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #15
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i have been told by a friend who owns a tyre shop about the code numbers on the tyre to identify the build date.
i haven`t heard of any set use-buy period before but it would not surprise me if its something they are working on. these days tyres are made with more and more synthetic materials and less rubber, this is sure to affect the life expectancy of the product.

i had some goodyears on the front of the XB for about 5 years and the sidewalls were all starting to get tiny cracks /perish marks and the tread started to lift on one. only about half worn.

" XR6 martin " ..... your right about the shoes. i have had brand new work boots kept in their box in a dark cupboard for a couple of years and went to wear them and the soles were falling off.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 13-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #16
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

This may be true. I bought a set of second-hand 15" tyres off a Commodore and the were used by 16/4/08. It also has written on them "MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUTS". Previous owner must of given them a hard time. (in the wet). Bwahahahahah :
Old 13-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #17
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Does this mean my Eagers I bought back in 1986 are no good anymore?
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
Old 13-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #18
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

if tyres had a use by date it would be clearly marked on the tyre. not put on the tyre in code.
this is just scare tactics by a tyre dealer IMO
Old 13-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #19
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If I leave my milk on the kitchen bench for 3 days straight, will it go off before the expiry date?

If I put it in the freezer, will it be off when I defrost it 1 month later?

Too many factors here. I think it's right to put an expiry date on tyres, but it comes down to the conditions. eg. Permanent snow vs desert conditions....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 01-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #20
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Tyre expiry dates??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Received an email this morning about tyre expiry dates... 4 years?? I have never heard of this... anyone??

TYRE EXPIRY
Vehicle tires have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM). Thereafter, the tire
expires and may burst whilst in use. How to find out whether your tire has expired? Check for a
stamp like this: (*2603*) There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this serial number.
The first two numbers 2 6 will tell which week of the year has it been manufactured.
NB: One year has 52 weeks. The last two numbers represent the year of make. Therefore, *2603*
shows that the said tire is manufactured in the 26th week of the year 2003. *2699* this shows that the
tire is made in the 26th week of 1999.
Check all your tires for safety purposes. Do not use expired tires. They are likely to burst (especially
when running in hot weather) because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked.
I have never heard of them bursting, but becoming out of true round and also the rubber compound changing is a real issue

U need nice fresh tyres, nothing thats been on the shelf for to long, nothing like a nice visual check, like a pilot does of a plane
Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: Tyre expiry dates??

As I've found out, after bringing back a car that's been in storage for 10 years, the rubber will dry out and go hard. While it may look okay, the tyre loses the gripping qualities that a soft compound will have.

Enquiries that I made was that tyres have a shelf life of 7 years.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #22
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anything you can do to make people go out and have a look at their tyres is a good thing. Most people just assume that their tyres were inspected and "fixed" (inflated, rotated, replaced, etc) at their 15,000km service and just ignore them .. like oil, water, washer fluid, cleaning lights, cleaning windscreen, etc, etc ........ maybe they have an iPhone app for that??
Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Guess it all comes down to, they don't make 'em like they use to. I have noticed the date markings of tyres over the last 2 years, & had heard something similar about use-by dates.
Having said that, I did sell some wheels & tyres to a mate last year, off a '93 XR8 that I hadn't used in years, & he's still running around on those tyres quite OK.

But I have found this information (quite detailed) on the Bridgestone Australia Website, about aged tyres. http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/.../care/age.aspx
Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #24
RASER
Banned

Tyre performance keeps improving too, whats the ants-pants now is old hat in 12 months time, forget fitting old tyres to your car.

Buy the latest and greatest, all the talk know is of eco-tyres with silica for reduced rolling resistance and around 5% improved milage...for nothing!

As soon as these origional Dunlop G26 wear out [bloody hell, 115,000km and still RWC!] i will be buying eco tyres, the Hanook look interesting, $/quality ratio

http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/about/...2b7fb115c7753b
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #25
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im no expert but I have a set of T/A's on my XB coupe that are 25 years old have about 70% tread left on them, no cracks
obviously I dont drive the car all that often
the only problem I do have is that it is some what bumpy when I take it out of the garage but about 15 Minutes on the freeway fixes that
Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCoastGTP
What a crock of bah humbug
Tyres do go off only if they are in the sun all day for about 10 years
From a tyre dealer using the scare campaign just to improve hi bottom line
They did a story like this on an american tabloid show 2020 (like 'today tonight') about 2 years ago. They were *shocked* that they were being sold 5yo tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgx2aiur31c
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
JimStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue
Im no expert but I have a set of T/A's on my XB coupe that are 25 years old have about 70% tread left on them, no cracks
obviously I dont drive the car all that often
the only problem I do have is that it is some what bumpy when I take it out of the garage but about 15 Minutes on the freeway fixes that
I was doing the same with some 10 year old well maintained Road Huggers that had travelled less than 5,000klms

Just not worth risking your pride and joy over (in my case) $700 worth of rubber IMHO

Last edited by JimStone; 01-08-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've heard about this before, but from what I've heard its more in relation to the age of tire a shop can sell not so much when they should be thrown away. Have also heard that the spare should be replaced after 6 years? So may be some truth to it. But let's face it, if it starts to perish and crack its ganna go flat and won't hold pressure so it would be replaced
Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #29
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
I've heard about this before, but from what I've heard its more in relation to the age of tire a shop can sell not so much when they should be thrown away. Have also heard that the spare should be replaced after 6 years? So may be some truth to it. But let's face it, if it starts to perish and crack its ganna go flat and won't hold pressure so it would be replaced
I had better never use my spare as its the origional one that came with the car ....still not cracked though
build date May 1976!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #30
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is some level of Truth to the story. Tyres do have a best before life of about 5-7 years, after that the rubber can be brittle, and just break/flake, lose its structure and grip. Bike tyres is an example, my old bike i rode it and hit the brakes, and there was zero adhesion left, and the front brake locked and skidded(that was 10 years old) Rubber on cars also has a shelf life... most people would never get to the point where it became brittle, given they wear out over distance, not generally time. Rubber not exposed to any elements, would likely last a hell of a lot longer. Spare on the pajero hanging out back in the sun, wont last a long as one stored inside the boot.
Closed Thread