Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
GSfalcon500

Default kiddie proof pool type fencing for driveways

I was listening to ABC news today and heard this story about fencing of driveways so kiddies dont get hit by reversing cars.I cant belive this garbage they come up with.So what happens if you have a garage on the boundary ,do you have to install boom gates on the sidewalk .And it not that i support kids getting run over , its just i think this is an over the top measure like most of the so called safety rules getting relised lately.

Posted 10 hours 26 minutes ago
Updated 10 hours 38 minutes ago

The Queensland Government has agreed to consider whether driveways, carports and garages should be fenced off to protect young children from being run over.

The Government has released its response to recommendations by the Parliamentary Travelsafe Committee.

Committee chairman Jim Pearce has welcomed the Government's consideration and says more than 50 Australian children have been hit by cars at home in the past five years.

"We need to look at technology and we need to look at smart housing," he said.

"We need to looking at driveways and carports and make sure that they're separated from play areas with child resistant barriers.

"These barriers must be self closing and have self latching gates to reduce the risk of a child escaping and being injured by a motor vehicle."

GSfalcon500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

It's up to the parents to know where their children are and separate them from car traffic areas.
The government should not enforce knee jerk rules on responsible parents.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
blk_frmnt
ẶЦ ╒ǻІґмΩאַâ€*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSfalcon500
And it not that i support kids getting run over
I hesitate saying this, but LOL.

But on a serious note, I support this idea. Along with wearing helmets while walking, driving, sitting, and sleeping. The government knows best, do as they say and no one will ever die or be injured.
blk_frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 01:10 AM   #4
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
It's up to the parents to know where their children are and separate them from car traffic areas.
The government should not enforce knee jerk rules on responsible parents.
I agree the idea is ill founded as there comes a point where it goes too far, like here. But cmon, using your own interpretation the idea is aimed at protecting kids from parents who dont know where they are, not at responsible parents. Its interesting your first thought is the kids who get hit have irresponsible parents though, rather than kids do the damnedest things. Talk about knee jerk reactions, blame the parents.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 01:19 AM   #5
Kryton

want to know what the really funny thing is?
my Dad lives in California and he has even said he didnt realise how much of a controlling, cant think for yourself country this is.
and he lives in Cali.......

really, people need to learn some responsibility.
that seems to be the common problem with society these days, no consequences for your stupid actions.
how about charging people that run over their kids instead of enforcing some other law for everyone else.
i mean really, and ill take the back lash as well, what kind of person does NOT know exactly where their kids are at all times? (obviously im talking about the kids that are still at an age where they dont know a moving car can kill them - kids that need supervision).

gee, why not make a kneejerk reaction law that states every single thing with a motor that can go in reverse has to have reverse cameras....
maybe instead we should be punishing the parents.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #6
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ties in with the "all four wheel drives must have reversing cameras" theme that's been on News.com websites over the last couple of days, maybe Scruby is generating press releases on a quiet news week.
Regards,
Tote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
I agree the idea is ill founded as there comes a point where it goes too far, like here. But cmon, using your own interpretation the idea is aimed at protecting kids from parents who dont know where they are, not at responsible parents. Its interesting your first thought is the kids who get hit have irresponsible parents though, rather than kids do the damnedest things. Talk about knee jerk reactions, blame the parents.

That may have come across a little harsh, but the bottom line is as parents, we need to look after children as they do not have the capacity to do it themselves.

EG: My 3year old son is not permitted (or able) to be in my driveway area unsupervised.

My neighbors 3 old son rides his bike on the road out front unsupervised with no helmet, if he gets knocked by a car one day i would not lay blame on the driver or the child.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 08-03-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I just put a reversing camera on my car. Although, it does not show anything imediatly behind the car (bumper to 70cm away), it does show pretty much everything else, wheather I'm hitting a wheelie bin, another car, kids toys or my daughter does happen to run out...

Best $35 I ever spent on ebay!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
want to know what the really funny thing is?
my Dad lives in California and he has even said he didnt realise how much of a controlling, cant think for yourself country this is.
and he lives in Cali.......

really, people need to learn some responsibility.
that seems to be the common problem with society these days, no consequences for your stupid actions.
how about charging people that run over their kids instead of enforcing some other law for everyone else.
i mean really, and ill take the back lash as well, what kind of person does NOT know exactly where their kids are at all times? (obviously im talking about the kids that are still at an age where they dont know a moving car can kill them - kids that need supervision).

gee, why not make a kneejerk reaction law that states every single thing with a motor that can go in reverse has to have reverse cameras....
maybe instead we should be punishing the parents.
I agree with all your points, however in regards to comments about California. I have spent most of the last 10 years working inthe USA. The lawsuiuts have made it THE nanny state, EXCEPT for the 'important freedoms' The choice to ride your motorbike without a helmet, buy a handgun, and jump in your car without a seatbelt. MORONS!!!! SOME rules are needed from the government, else we would end up like to screwed up USA
Anyway, the importantr thing is as you say 'ALWAYS KNOW WHERE YOUR KIDS ARE' WHEN YOU ARE IN YOUR VEHICLE.

thanks
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
jason71
google is my friend

My son who is 3 years old has a special spot near the house where he knows to stand
and wait when I reverse out of the driveway.
I make sure he is there and do a quick look around the car for any other obstructions before reversing out.
It only takes a minute and gives me peace of mind.

Last edited by jason71; 09-03-2008 at 03:39 PM.
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 AM   #11
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Stupid, stupid government...
I remember when they wanted ALL irrigation channels fenced!

Maybe we should just put a fence along all of the roads aswell? Hmmm...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #12
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Do you realise how many pool drownings happen every year without a pool safety fence!! This time...the government got it right!!
Old 10-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Do you realise how many pool drownings happen every year without a pool safety fence!! This time...the government got it right!!
Pool fences arent in dispute, its fencing of driveways that is being proposed.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Well now that is just silly. Who fences off a driveway???
Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #15
GSfalcon500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David
I agree with all your points, however in regards to comments about California. I have spent most of the last 10 years working inthe USA. The lawsuiuts have made it THE nanny state, EXCEPT for the 'important freedoms' The choice to ride your motorbike without a helmet, buy a handgun, and jump in your car without a seatbelt. MORONS!!!! SOME rules are needed from the government, else we would end up like to screwed up USA
Anyway, the importantr thing is as you say 'ALWAYS KNOW WHERE YOUR KIDS ARE' WHEN YOU ARE IN YOUR VEHICLE.

thanks
While i have not lived in the states like your self I have visited many times in the last 10 years ,and in the things i notice ,we are alot more restriced in our activities compared to americans mainly but also canadians.Just look at the way this country is headed with all this hi visability workwear and crap over the top safety rules. Look at the queensland police cars and ambulence now with the hi vis fluro crap all over, its starting to look like england or new zealand here . This is an extreme country with safety rules where one person gets injued or dies cause of ther own stupidty and the rest of society has to pay for it in extra rules and regulations that make doing your daily activities a drag.
My theory why we have these extreme measures is that we have a public government funded health care system if you injure your self they have to pay to look after you so they make up rules so they dont have to pay out any money.compare that to america wich doesent have the type of medicare we have and most people are on private health care, you can ride a bike without a helmet or not wear a seatbelt or ride in the back of a pick up truck and if you get injured your health fund pays for it.
GSfalcon500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #16
Scott

Wouldn't it just be easier to put a fence around kids??
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post