Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default How picky are you with your car?

How picky are you with your car?

I am very picky. I recently picked up a set of bf original tail lights cleaned them up and put them on. ( I have a ba) In the day they look fabulous but at night when turning on the lights, the lenses is clear and can see a slight scratch on the glass (or plastic). The bottom part in the light is mirrored and there is a slight mark inside on them ever so slight. 99% of people wouldn't even notice but when you know it bothers me. If you are behind the car looks great.

I'm thinking of buying a brand new set as I just want it perfect.

Am I just too picky?

If my rims ever get a mark on them I would go out and buy a new set. If exhaust makes any strange noise well ill get a new exhaust. Is this too picky?

How picky are you with your car?

RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Whiskeyonesix

Default Re: How picky are you with your car?

I'm not very picky at all! As long as it starts, goes and stops it's fine with me! I keep on top of anything that needs repair, but I wouldn't just go out and replace a perfectly legal part cos it looks a bit duff - of course, I'm notoriously tight-fisted so thats probably just me

Hey, if you feel the need to go out and buy a new exhaust or Alloys or whatever, it's your money and your car I've spent serious cash in the past doing up motors that just weren't worth the money - except in my eyes of course.

New brake switch at 203k+211k, new Discs and Pads + service at 212k
Whiskeyonesix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

As long as it runs, idgaf....
Old 21-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

if you're as picky as you make out to be why did you even bother with a used set of lights to clean them up when you are only guna buy a brand new set anyway

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Hulk Im probably similar to u mate. Not as full on. If I was confident it wasnt noticable then id be happy to wear it.

You mentioned rims aswel, Im actually getting my front left 20" shadow chrome rim repaired on Tuesday as I hit it on the way up the car carrier I got. First time Im using someone to fix the chips. He thinks he can get it as good as new!!! We'll wait and see....
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yer im pretty crazy on some things too, after i shammy my car down, i walk around inspecting it for ages, making sure it looks immaculate. -and scratch-x-ing any small imperfections. I cant half-*** a job on my car its gotta be good.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
Yer im pretty crazy on some things too, after i shammy my car down, i walk around inspecting it for ages, making sure it looks immaculate. -and scratch-x-ing any small imperfections. I cant half-*** a job on my car its gotta be good.
scratch ex doesn't solve any problems

Im with you hulk, even with my front bar i usually get it resprayed once a year. i refuse to buy a car bra as i like my car being naked but i cant stand the smallest stone chips. recently i found a really small swirl mark on the roof as soon as i got home i got the buffer out and removed it. after every wash i inspect the paint for the slightest marks. i am definitely OCD with my car, but at the same time i drive it and enjoy it, i think that is the main thing. no point being pedantic about a car and not using it.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i get a small unoticable chip on my bumper i get the whole thing rechromed..
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After I drive I ALWAYs brush off my floor mats. In fact anything that makes the interior untidy does this to me.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

You will find those BF tailights come like that from the factory.. They arent exactly high quality...

I bought a set for my BA back in 2005, and they were scratches and had glue inside the lense...

Don't waste your money.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you blokes have too much money on ya hands.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
if you're as picky as you make out to be why did you even bother with a used set of lights to clean them up when you are only guna buy a brand new set anyway
I grabbed em as my mate was trading how bf in. They look immaculate in day but under lights a slight slight mark. Bugs me as my ba lights are mint
Old 21-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG65TE
you blokes have too much money on ya hands.
QFT.
I'm far, far too busy to give a rats about some unnoticeable scratch on some taillight of some 8 year old falcoon.
Old 21-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I vacuum my exhaust pipe ...

after i polish my dipstick

and i don't own a Kingswood either ...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Bugger, I missed this thread. I was too busy glad wrapping the hubcaps.
Old 21-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm very particular with the interior of my car, it gets a good vacuum out every couple of weeks, always spotless. I can't stand getting into a car with dust, fluff and dirt everywhere, and brown fingerstains on the gear lever, steering wheel etc. As for the outside I couldn't really care that much. I wash and polish regularly so it looks great most of the time, but my paintwork is buggered, full of scratches and marks and the clear is just starting to blush. Mechanically I keep it well maintained, but the suspension and brakes are buggered and it makes a lot of weird noises I choose to ignore.
Old 22-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #17
RAPID_BA
Banned

Im probably being a little over the top about my light. No cracks or anything, just because the outa plastic is clear you can see any imperfections at night once the bulb lights it up. Being veeeeery picky but when it bugs you it bugs you. When no lights on looks perfect. Can only see when standing directly above car looking at bottom mirrored part.
Old 22-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

You do realise they are a mass produced family car, not a limited production exotic? Sure I am fussy with my cars, I keep the interiors very clean, the exterior is well looked after and waxed regularly but there are limits on a daily driver.
Old 22-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #19
robbyj
Rob

a p plater modified 99 AU falcon is practically worthless these days, i used to wash my car about twice a week, make sure no rubbish or anything was left in it. A few things bug me now with it, 20's have a few marks, a few rattles from the sub.
Nowadays though i let things slide, and just enjoy the car for what it is, having a bit of fun along the way
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #20
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Hulk Bullpit

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #21
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Is the car a trailer queen? If not, just drive it and enjoy it.

Mine. It gets a clean once a month, serviced every 10,00K and any mechanical things that need replacing, gets done when required.

If I was to worry about stone chips, I wouldn't even look at driving out the gate.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #22
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its dirty i wash it.... if it breaks i fix it....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #23
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I keep my dailys' aesthetically presentable & in good running order, all to my own standard. Anything beyond that is being pedantic & a waste of time/effort IMO.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #24
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

I'm extremely fussy when it comes to my cars, so IMO buying new taillights cos you arent 100% happy with them is normal Just ask to be able to open the box and inspect it before you walk out of there, just in case the new one has a factory defect in it.

I bought a new LHS foglamp as my RHS got a crack from a rock. I couldn't have one side new and one side with a few stone chips in it!

End of the day, its your car, and when you get someone complementing how nice it is, it makes up for all the countless hours/$$$ you have spent on it
Old 22-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #25
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
You do realise they are a mass produced family car, not a limited production exotic? Sure I am fussy with my cars, I keep the interiors very clean, the exterior is well looked after and waxed regularly but there are limits on a daily driver.
Damn it Gecko, words outta my mouth again.

Was just about to say Hulk BA that out of the 25Gazillion BA Falcons there are on the road, no one is going to notice a small spec on the taillight of one, especially when most BA's are in shocking, bumper falling off, faded and farting condition. You're being precious my friend.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #26
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

If i get a stone chip i wreck the car and buy a new one....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Being veeeeery picky but when it bugs you it bugs you. When no lights on looks perfect. Can only see when standing directly above car looking at bottom mirrored part.
I hope you put tyre dressing on the inside of your steer tyres, in case anyone happens to look at them when your parking on full lock.
Old 22-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #28
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My daily has had a 1cm chip out of the back bumper for a year now.
If I had a rare weekend car I'd probably be a bit more caring over the smaller details.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #29
RAPID_BA
Banned

I thought I'd sleep on it and have a look in the morning. In the day they look perfect. Not a mark on it. Even for my standards I'm being too picky. I'm gonna keep em.

The problem with most people is they let the little things slide and before you know it they all tally up and your car is no longer mint condition.

I looked at a car once for sale described as immaculate. When I got there it was all stone chipped all over the place on the front end and there was a scrape mark on front bar. I said you call that immaculate? He said it only costs $200 to respray front. I said so why didn't you get it done then?

He knew I'd caught him out
Old 22-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
I thought I'd sleep on it and have a look in the morning. In the day they look perfect. Not a mark on it. Even for my standards I'm being too picky. I'm gonna keep em.

The problem with most people is they let the little things slide and before you know it they all tally up and your car is no longer mint condition.

I looked at a car once for sale described as immaculate. When I got there it was all stone chipped all over the place on the front end and there was a scrape mark on front bar. I said you call that immaculate? He said it only costs $200 to respray front. I said so why didn't you get it done then?

He knew I'd caught him out
Problem is when buying used cars most people dont care. Dealers are reluctant to fix issues until people bring them to their attention... Like scraped front bars for example, if they fix them then someone scrapes the bar again in the yard or on a test drive they are no better off. Most of the time they will fix the issues before delivery if you ask them to and put it on the contract.

Sadly cars that are driven daily just cannot be kept mint, my FG XR6 I just traded did not have 1 single scratch or dint on it, but it had several stone chips and scrapes under the front bar (simply because I used it everyday).

Theres only so much you can do to keep a car like brand new, they eventually do get the odd nock / dint / scratch.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post