Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Council wants 30km/h speed limit

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226115496870

Im so sick of drivers being punished due to pedestrians that ignore the laws. Its even been admitted in a quote from the article. So lets further reduce the speed limit and then put in speed cameras to protect idiot pedestrians..

"What you'll find there is you are crossing a major intersection and pedestrians will just completely ignore the lights," he said.

Last edited by joolz; 16-08-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: no link to article
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Council wants 30km/h speed limit

Hmm, a group of people who want to be immune from any consequences of their actions and force everyone else to adapt to their methodology regardless of any inconvenience or expense.

Now why would local government empathise with that..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
tweeked
N/A all the way

I can see the newsflash

Car rear ended by Jogger

tweeked is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

No different to any other area of our society, barriers are put in place to protect those minorities that are unable to understand and decipher basic situational awareness....So the majority must adjust....

It's just a fact of life these days....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand how someone could have that much of a common sense deficiency to even come up with a 30km/hr speed limit..

I'll bet if that speed limit comes in, there will be a massive increase in small car accidents around. At 30km/hr you'd be much more prone to checking your phone or fiddling with things inside the car. Distracted drivers do a lot more damage then one watching where they're going
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
I can see the newsflash

Car rear ended by Jogger
So true or even a cyclists!!

The sad thing is it will more than likely be implimented by the idiots at Vic Roads, just look at all the other wonderful things they have done....
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next thing..back to 1890..have a person walking in front with a red flag!!!!!!!
Old 16-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, can see this coming from a mile (or 1.6kms) away. And yet again, this has nothing to do with road safety period. I wonder what will happen in the future if this gets through, will we be discussing 20 kph limits in selected areas in and around city limits and surrounding streets in the future?

Those of you who do not come from S.A. will not appreciate 25 kph limits in active school zones or active (and even inactive) road works so you may not have a true appreciation of what this idle speed (can I even use this word to describe this forward motion???) is really like to travel. While I do agree with 25 kph limits in the right locations and situations, I cannot advocate a blanket 30 kph limit in certain areas and their surrounding streets. I just hope that no one in Adelaide's councils sees this article. And anyway, how would these types of changes stop those clowns doing 220+ kph or over taking on blind corners in the Adelaide hills where the real carnage does occur?

Road safety gone mad while the stupidity continues!

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226115496870

Im so sick of drivers being punished due to pedestrians that ignore the laws. Its even been admitted in a quote from the article. So lets further reduce the speed limit and then put in speed cameras to protect idiot pedestrians..

"What you'll find there is you are crossing a major intersection and pedestrians will just completely ignore the lights," he said.
Just the shear stupidity of mass slowing will increase fuel consumption and emissions a good deal making the idea obviously like it's designers "very speshul" and will be flogged and fail in court due to a huge epa failure
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

If you don't have a mental disability and you walk out in to traffic, you probably need a good hit with a car.

Darwinism keeps being stopped - guys we have to keep the gene pool healthy!!!

serious reply:

If speed limits were dropped to 30, I'd just go back to riding my bicycle - since its pretty easy to hit 60 down hill on a fixed gear BMX and traffic will be insane, I think I'll be early for work every day

Blitzing past speed cameras, flipping old ladies the bird, grinding over 4wds.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I dont think I could handle being overtaken by a pushbike!!

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Next thing..back to 1890..have a person walking in front with a red flag!!!!!!!
Careful what you wish for.

Quote:
Cr Jackie Fristacky, who chairs the Metropolitan Transport Forum, said that most Yarra residents did not use cars for work trips and needed protection.

"People really opposed (the 40km/h limit) when it was first proposed, but it's now accepted," she said.
Stupid woman, what a dumb statement, people "accept" it because it's the bloody law!! Its a bit hard to NOT accept it when it is written into the statute books and you've got no way of objecting to it. I think you'll find that people don't accept it, its that they've been forced to.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Seriously 40km feels slow enough, any slower feels like you might as get out and walk quicker.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over-regulation of one of the preludes to the fall of the roman empire...

When a law is created, it takes away a persons's need for commonsense.

Our society has far too many laws due to the minorities, and not enough commonsense.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

The average running speed for a human is about 15kph (slightly higher for males, slightly lower for females)

So yeah, if you ran to work every day (assuming your fitness was up to scratch) you wouldn't be too far behind.
Old 16-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #16
MAD
Petro-sexual

30km/h will breed a new level of complacency never before seen.
An impact at 30km/h is a decent hit. Yet in the car it feels slower than a wet week.
Old 16-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
I dont think I could handle being overtaken by a pushbike!!
What about a pedestrian?

So... if this slow congested 30kph increases minor accidents (like rear enders, etc) from distracted drivers, and speed kills, what does driving slow mean?

WARNING: SPEED KILLS
WARNING: DRIVING SLOW CAUSES ACCIDENTS

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

in sa there are a few 40km zones (off the main roads) in different suburbs, Blackwood and some parts of Unley being an example.

and speaking of living in a "nanny society", in SA, we cant smoke outside in the Rundle mall anymore.
it is now banned, and has patrolling Smoking Officers.
and explain this one to me, a fine will apparently be issued if you do not extinguish your cigarette when asked to.
does that mean it's ok until you get caught??

just joking...like doing 110 in a 100 zone, only illegal if you are caught. lol

craig

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #19
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't see what hte problem was with the 20kph increments.

40kph for schools
60kph for residential/town/street
80/100kph for highways

Heaps easier to remember than:

30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100... all for different areas...
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Hmm, a group of people who want to be immune from any consequences of their actions and force everyone else to adapt to their methodology regardless of any inconvenience or expense.

Now why would local government empathise with that..........
Im with you on this one Flappist, this is just another ill thought out knee jerk reaction aimed at shifting responsibility.
If they are so concerned about pedestrians being hit maybe they should start by handing out a heap of Jay walking fines for people who ignore crossings etc.
But that would be too logical and the headline 'pedestrian crosses road without looking' doesnt have the same impact as 'driver caught speeding in 30km zone'
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #21
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Im with you on this one Flappist, this is just another ill thought out knee jerk reaction aimed at shifting responsibility.
If they are so concerned about pedestrians being hit maybe they should start by handing out a heap of Jay walking fines for people who ignore crossings etc.
But that would be too logical and the headline 'pedestrian crosses road without looking' doesnt have the same impact as 'driver caught speeding in 30km zone'
Start issuing licensing requirements to use footpaths. You start with a learner's permit, when you can prove your ability to feed yourself, and have the brain function of normal human being, you can get your pretty P plates.

Once you've been walking for 3 years, you can get an open walking license, then you're allowed to cross the road alone and have you power (running) restriction removed so you can travel at the posted speed limit (no running faster than 5kph guys, you might kill someone if you do 6, every k over is a killer!)
Old 16-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in our area we have a school crossing area that`s 40 kph even out of school hours, it`s a good size street, the other side of the road is industrial, so after business hours it`s absolutely deserted.........yet the 4o kph remains, i`d say a good percentage of people ignore it because of that, i agree with 40 in school area`s maybe even 30 at school crossings, but 30 kph in a the residential streets is like watching paint dry, inattention will be more dangerous tha the speed imo, i`d bet most motorist`s will ignore 30 kph anyway..............have those in power been smoking the wacky tabaky??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #23
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
..............have those in power been smoking the wacky tabaky??
You can be fined for using "offensive language in public"... does that answer your question?

I can be fined for swearing in public, but when I reported threats of physical violence against myself and my partner they didn't give two flying sheets...
Old 16-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #24
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

30kmh ??? Whats the ADR for the lower end of the speedo to be accurate?
(or did that change?)

Anyhoo... at road just a block away from me (a 60KMH zone) recently without warning had 2 sets of speed bumps installed.

NO SPEED CHANGES!

Later in the week the local paper ran an article saying residents were tired of people speeding down the road???
Which is odd since I have NEVER seen a police speed trap or speed camera van set up since the yr 2000!

Funnier still is the speed bumps are set up right in front of the daycare center/ church group. Which is only busy on Saturday morn and for 20mins each arvo when parents pick up their kids.

If people were worried about crossing the road safely a pedestrian crossing wouldve been the answer.

But instead... speed bumps on a road with a60kmh limit !!!

Im still trying to work it out...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and in a couple of years.. 30KM/H become 20 KM/h with green citing fuel usage cuts.. and an incentive for people to catch public transport.. -eventualy leading to "car free city zones"... IDIOTS!!!
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #26
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
30kmh ??? Whats the ADR for the lower end of the speedo to be accurate?
(or did that change?)

Anyhoo... at road just a block away from me (a 60KMH zone) recently without warning had 2 sets of speed bumps installed.

NO SPEED CHANGES!

Later in the week the local paper ran an article saying residents were tired of people speeding down the road???
Which is odd since I have NEVER seen a police speed trap or speed camera van set up since the yr 2000!

Funnier still is the speed bumps are set up right in front of the daycare center/ church group. Which is only busy on Saturday morn and for 20mins each arvo when parents pick up their kids.

If people were worried about crossing the road safely a pedestrian crossing wouldve been the answer.

But instead... speed bumps on a road with a60kmh limit !!!

Im still trying to work it out...
I've seen a few 60 zones with speed bumps. They are fairly "mild" though (could cross them at 50 with no problems in a standard car, maybe 40 in a lowered car)

The main one that springs to mind that has harsh speed bumps is a residenial street right near a bunch of tyre places and mechanic workshops. Seeing how the guys at my local Kmart tyre and auto abuse customer cars (saw one chirping the tyres and grinding the gearbox in a 180sx yesterday) it makes sense.
Old 16-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually there is a very simple way to fix this.

Empower the local government officers to issue on the spot jay walking fines.

Once jay walking becomes a revinue source like speed cameras there will be a gazillion little hitlers employed in every council area......For safety of course not the money....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #28
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if you can run faster than 30km/h, will you get a speeding fine? Most pushbikes will exceed this, so maybe they need numberplates so we can fines those reckless hoons that terrorise our suburbs...
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #29
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
So if you can run faster than 30km/h, will you get a speeding fine? Most pushbikes will exceed this, so maybe they need numberplates so we can fines those reckless hoons that terrorise our suburbs...
A number plate on the **** of every pedestrian is the only solution.

Or alternatively, GPS and RFID tracking compulsory for every citizen.
Old 16-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #30
GT-E

This is the problem, they have taken away "Natural Selection" by putting in rules and regulations to prevent stupid mistakes dumb people make. I am sure that a pedestrian will only walk out in front of a car/bus/truck only once. Why do they need to slow down cars to save stupid people ?
Let them learn their lesson, it will be the only way they will learn. If not they will still find a way to kill themselves by doing something else stupid that has not been regulated yet.