Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default is there any such thing as a quality used car?

I went over to carcity at mitchinbury with a girl I know to “keep the bast¤»ds honest" so to speak. She is not overly fussed on what just had a budget and wants a quality car in excellent condition.

I walk past and see a mazda 3 that looked ok, it had a low km sticker on the windscreen, I looked on the sales card and it had 138000km, low km? Not in my book, other than that the freyed seats turned me away.

Other cars in the yard were either had excessive scratches, door trims damaged or misses, interior panels missing, rough bodies, new light and on other side old light.

We stumbled onto a commodore which sort of looked ok, took it for a drive. 1hen cold the gearbox didn't know what it wanted to do and at idle hunted all over the place. I bring the car back and tell the salesman and he acts all surprised.

All the cars are also high in price and rubbish condition. Being a ford fan I noticed every ba-bf had stripes all over them, even fairmonts. All of the cars are parked on loose rocks so you can't really see if they leak oil etc. One car on its windscreen had written "only 173000km"....only ???

There was a 1.4 litre hyundai getz, ex hire car with 60000km for $12990, few scratches and scuffed dash, for a joke I said any cheaper for cash he says $12500 no less. I even tried to haggle, he wouldn't budge. YOU CAN GET ONE BRAND NEW FOR $12990 PICK YOUR COLOUR!!

I think that all the quality used cars out there are not for sale, a quality used car that is actually for sale is very very rare, most people offload cars because there is something wrong with them

Are my standards too high or do people/yards just offload the rubbish? We left the yard and I told her to either look for a mint private car or save up a bit more and grab a new lancer or something.

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 14-08-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: is there any such thing as a quality used car?

138,000 isn't really very high kilometers, I'd call 300,000+ on the high side.

Even then, I'd take a car with a full service history with 200,000km over a car with 100,000km and no service history at all, or one/two over that period.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
mickbundy

Sounds like you picked the wrong dealer
There are quite a few quality second hand vehicles, should try the government auctions and such or try several car yards. Cheers
Old 14-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
nstg8a

depends on what year the mazda 3 is whether or not 138k is high or not. if its last years model yes its high, if its the first model 3 then its probably not bad.

does sound like you picked a wholesale yard or something to wander round? they are the only yards i see round here that are willing to stick cars on the yard that look shabby.

but theres plenty of quality used cars out there, but small used cars are always in high demand so attract a higher price, which imo makes them look like not much of a bargain next to a late model commodore or falcon.
just depends what the individuals needs are.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

define "quality"
Old 14-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
RAPID_BA
Banned

For a car over 100000km I would never pay over $10k for it, regardless of the car, year, service history. Its done the work already. You don't want to buy a car on the downhill run past its best.

In saying that, In that yard, even cars with 50000km looked like that had 200000km. - just couldn't believe the bad condition.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
define "quality"
My definition "as brand new"
Old 14-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Question Re: is there any such thing as a quality used car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
For a car over 100000km I would never pay over $10k for it, regardless of the car, year, service history. Its done the work already. You don't want to buy a car on the downhill run past its best.
Theirs your problem and looks to now become hers,unfortunate that.

Their are FG XR6T's with over 100kms on them and you wouldnt pay 10k for one.......

Would you pay 10k for one with 99,000kms?

Plenty of quality cars around these days,just need the eye/cash at the time to secure them.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: is there any such thing as a quality used car?

Quote:
Define "as brand new"
Old 14-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

I think you should try different car yards
Old 14-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ill never buy another second hand car, unless its a project car. After buying a new car, i havnt looked back.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Define "as brand new"
A used car that hasn't done any kilometres?

New car registered by dealer?
Old 14-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you answered your own question? Didnt you post recently about a mate of yours with a dud HSV that he back traded and offloaded? You can't blame the dealers all the time for stretching the truth about a quality used car, plenty of dodgy people out there also? Plenty of great cars out there, the more you look and the more patient you are, the luckier you get i've found?

Last edited by Glen 5150; 14-08-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Yep there are quality used cars....

My courier was a country council car (unsure for how long) but all of its 149xxx (at time of purchase) has been done out in country. Couple of minor bits that werent in top condition but are superficial and does not bother me.

Mechanically tops. Cost 3 grand cheaper than average market price and got the bonus of a great colour, not cardigan white or city silver.

Theyre out there, just a game of hide n seek (and a pro inspection!)

Subaru Outback '02
Old 14-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #15
fatcorty
Banned

Plenty of people get rid of cars that have nothing wrong with them, leases expire, boredom, change of family situation etc.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I went over to carcity at mitchinbury with a girl I know to “keep the bast¤»ds honest" so to speak. She is not overly fussed on what just had a budget and wants a quality car in excellent condition.

I walk past and see a mazda 3 that looked ok, it had a low km sticker on the windscreen, I looked on the sales card and it had 138000km, low km? Not in my book, other than that the freyed seats turned me away.

Other cars in the yard were either had excessive scratches, door trims damaged or misses, interior panels missing, rough bodies, new light and on other side old light.

We stumbled onto a commodore which sort of looked ok, took it for a drive. 1hen cold the gearbox didn't know what it wanted to do and at idle hunted all over the place. I bring the car back and tell the salesman and he acts all surprised.

All the cars are also high in price and rubbish condition. Being a ford fan I noticed every ba-bf had stripes all over them, even fairmonts. All of the cars are parked on loose rocks so you can't really see if they leak oil etc. One car on its windscreen had written "only 173000km"....only ???

There was a 1.4 litre hyundai getz, ex hire car with 60000km for $12990, few scratches and scuffed dash, for a joke I said any cheaper for cash he says $12500 no less. I even tried to haggle, he wouldn't budge. YOU CAN GET ONE BRAND NEW FOR $12990 PICK YOUR COLOUR!!

I think that all the quality used cars out there are not for sale, a quality used car that is actually for sale is very very rare, most people offload cars because there is something wrong with them

Are my standards too high or do people/yards just offload the rubbish? We left the yard and I told her to either look for a mint private car or save up a bit more and grab a new lancer or something.
I can't recommend dealer used , although you can get lucky I have had good success with used private but individually if a person has minimal mechanical experience the use of racq and similar inspections is an excellent idea , a good used "quality" car needs definition I guess but deciding the model and waiting through inspections can be a pita but it's the only way . An older Euro or japper which was looked after might be the right solution , or a cheap newbie if the budget permits , good luck either way
Old 14-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
Paxton
Cobblers!

Where's Mitchinbury?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 14-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

In saying that, In that yard, even cars with 50000km looked like that had 200000km. - just couldn't believe the bad condition.
Cars are a bit more robust than what you think, especially when they've been taken care of. Hardly the down-hill run if its been looked after.

Two family friends have cars with 500,000km+ which they bought new and still on their original engines, one has been through a few clutches and a tail shaft, the other an auto.
Old 14-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What decade are you living in?? any car built in the last 10 years is easily good for 200k, sure thrash it a bit and your going to begin to shorten its life but seriously..... 100k and its all down hill from there??
You have established in the past that Car City isnt up to your expectation so why keep going back? why bother buying from a dealer just so you can get a crappy warranty, plenty of private sellers out there willing to do a deal.

Last edited by lockieoc; 14-08-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 14-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #20
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Could I interest you in a W427 with 138,000k's on the clock for only $11,990?

Or what about my 65 stang with only 8000 miles on the clock. Too bad the clock only goes to 100,000. No service history either.
Old 14-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #21
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i dont get you hulk.
you have posted another thread a year back complaining about car city. why go back?

i a have worn seats on my ute and it has 29000ks

and the fact you wouldnt buy a car for more than 100000ks for more than 10gs is a joke and stupid. love to get a 100000k aston for 10g

you need a hobbie so you have less time to think about dumb threads

and dont go to dealers if you dont like them.
Old 14-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #22
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Where's Mitchinbury?
youd need a passport to get there mate. its a bit far away from the shire
Old 14-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Two family friends have cars with 500,000km+ which they bought new and still on their original engines, one has been through a few clutches and a tail shaft, the other an auto.
For interest sake none of these are Falcons either, an early 90s Subaru Liberty and a 1990 Honda Integra.
Old 14-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #24
gtfpv
GT

TO THE OP . you are right and seem to know what quality means . dont listen to the sarcasm in this thread . the only ones that would be quality in my experience are rare. The best ones are private owners that maticulously look after the car and are just updating . , next would be fleet vehicles with car enthusiast drivers , and some cars that were traded . these cars are probably 1 in 10 on the market . as far as auctions go , if you met a hot girl with a voice a little on the deep side , you wouldn't marry her unless you atleast sited the goods to make sure all parts are genuine and in working order . so why would you buy are car you cant drive ?
Old 14-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #25
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

A 2000 Lexus that we bought in 2003 with 72k. No problems for nearly 8 years. That was from a Lexus dealer.

A 2002 XR6 that I bought in 2005 with 63k. No problems for nearly 3 years. That was from a Ford dealer.

A 2005 XR8 that I bought in 2008 with 35k and 18 months new car warranty. No problems so far (touch wood) That was from a Ford dealer.

And a 2006 Lexus that we just bought with 92k on it, with 3 year extended factory warranty. No problems so far and is in brand new condition. That was from a Lexus dealer.

Did I pay more that $10k for each of them, yes.

Would I buy brand new again, no.

For me I'll buy near new or close to it and buy something decent and let someone else take the depreciation hit. I'm not going to keep any car for more than 5 - 6 years, although the first Lexus we kept for 2 years too long.

Buy a decent car from a decent dealer for a reasonable price to have a nice motor in your driveway with worry free driving. That is what I try and follow. If you look for rubbish and pay rubbish money, guess what you'll get ... Rubbish
Old 14-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #26
Matty4
Banana

Quote:

Again, there's your issue.
The Volvo I just bought for my wife had 193000k's on it and it's a 12/06 build car. This car was $95K new, I paid $26K for it on an online auction. It has full service history and I had it checked by an authorised Volvo service centre after I got it and it came through with flying colours.

Never pay more than $10K for a with 100K's on it..........pfft........you're excluding some very excellent vehicles that are out there, especially European quality cars.
Old 14-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #27
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive only ever been able to afford 2nd hand & Ive always been pretty lucky. There are plenty of people on here that have bought brand new lemons.

There are loads of shonky used car dealers that pray on people that have no idea on whats right & wrong.

The average kms a car is around 25,000 a year so that should give you an idea on whats high or low kms for its age.

Keep looking because quality used cars are out there, people dont always sell cars because there no good. They might just have a change of needs.

I know its in Bathurst but theres a dealer here that has a 5 year 200,000km warranty on used cars. Something like that may be handy, if you get a lemon they will fix it.
Old 14-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #28
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is an ad for "quality" factory certified used BMWs

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 14-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #29
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
here is an ad for "quality" factory certified used BMWs

Great add.. It doesnt look like it has too many k's on the clock either. Whats the body like??? built for speed or cruising.
Old 14-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Reminds me of Stewie on Family Guy. "Is there any rubber left on the tyres, or would it be like throwing a sausage down a hallway".
Closed Thread