The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Default HSV not worried about S/Charged FPV's

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010...-falcons-18391

Holden Special Vehicles has not hit the "panic" button, despite strong rumours that Ford Performance Vehicles is about to end Holden's almost 40-year domination in the V8 power stakes.

FPV is poised to introduce a range of supercharged 5.0-litre V8s in July this year, once the current 5.4-litre is discontinued because it will not meet new emissions requirements introduced mid year.

But the boss of HSV Phil Harding says it is business as usual for Holden's performance car division.

"We're focused on our customer segment and we've got a great program ahead of us," he told the Carsales Network at the launch of the new price-leader GXP sedan and ute models (pictured) in Melbourne today.

"I don't comment on [the supercharged FPV Falcons] because first of all it's only a rumour. And, if it happens and it's no longer a rumour, you'll also find an answer from me that looks at the broad segment of our customer base and not just one other player in the market."

When asked if HSV feared a changing of the guard may be imminent once FPV ends Holden's domination in V8 performance with the new supercharged 5.0-litre V8s due in July, Harding told the Carsales Network: "Well, there has been a changing of the guard. Audi sales have gone up enormously and I'm looking upwards at my competition, not downwards."

Magazine reports have indicated that FPV's new supercharged engines could have up to 600Nm of torque -- 50Nm more than HSV's highest output.

Torque, the measure of an engine's ability to overcome resistance, is regarded as more important than power when it comes to acceleration, particularly in large performance sedans.

When asked if FPV may have an advantage because its annual production volumes are roughly half of HSV's volume, and therefore FPV is more easily able to perform such boutique modifications as supercharging, Harding said: "Sometimes they sell a third of our volume ... [but] you're asking me to make a comment about another manufacturer and I'm not going to do that."

When asked the same question again, he said: "I think what we've done in the past three or four of years has been exciting and I think the next three or four years are also pretty exciting, so I don't look at what anyone else does."

When asked if HSV had hit a panic button, and had expedited a shipment of supercharged 6.2-litre V8s from General Motors powertrain division in Detroit to HSV for local evaluation, or considered doing a local supercharged engine via its Walkinshaw Performance division, Harding said: "Do you really think I would hit a panic button? Look, we are very confident with where we are heading. We are rightly proud of our cars and HSV customers have nothing to fear.

"When I look into the GM parts bin, I think I'm very fortunate because it's a bit like walking into Toys R Us, there are so many engines and so much technology available to us.

"But it isn't just about what powerplant drives the car. As you can see with E2 we are interested in a range of performance driving technology.

"A HSV has to have the look, driver enthusiasm and it has to have performance. Those three things are core values and we try to address all three."

When it was suggested this comment sounded similar to Ford's party line for many years about its cars being "not all about power" (because Ford V8s have typically had a power deficit), Harding said: "I didn't say that. I said our cars need all of the above, and I think our cars are pretty powerful already."

Harding may have a point. For the past few years, the turbocharged FPV F6 sedan has recorded similar or faster acceleration times than HSV's best V8, and yet HSV sales have not been adversely affected by this.

No special GTS-R either that was speculated by Wheels Magazine, according to this report.
http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010...says-hsv-18390

Old 23-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What else would you expect them to say........
Old 23-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

They can do all they like... the changing of the guard started with the F6. It will be completed with the new Coyote.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
Old 23-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why would hsv be worried? the bogans don't like silly turbos and junk... they prefer 10 litre behemoths that get 10km to the tank... :-0
Old 23-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What else would you expect them to say........

"The FPV product is one that we respect immensely. It has forced us to increase our focus on total engineering to move away from the single minded mentality of yesteryear.

We sincerely wish Rod and all the boys out at Glennbarry the very best with their new offering with whatever than entails.

If I can turn the attention to the great offerings of HSV for one moment. As we enter the second half of the year you will notice and embrace a new corporate direction that we feel will be applauded by the media and our customers alike.

The perception of arrogance will go, it’s as good as gone right now, if I am honest. We cant expect to be taken seriously with the likes of BMW and Audi when there is this perception of aloofness hanging over our heads.

That's an attitde shift that comes from the top and thats me. I take full responisibility for cultivating this new direction. We have a new acronym for it that will be rolled out with our updated product release in the third quarter but that commitment starts here today with you guys."
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 23-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
"The FPV product is one that we respect immensely. It has forced us to increase our focus on total engineering to move away from the single minded mentality of yesteryear.

We sincerely wish Rod and all the boys out at Glennbarry the very best with their new offering with whatever than entails.

If I can turn the attention to the great offerings of HSV for one moment. As we enter the second half of the year you will notice and embrace a new corporate direction that we feel will be applauded by the media and our customers alike.

The perception of arrogance will go, it’s as good as gone right now, if I am honest. We cant expect to be taken seriously with the likes of BMW and Audi when there is this perception of aloofness hanging over our heads.

That's an attitde shift that comes from the top and thats me. I take full responisibility for cultivating this new direction. We have a new acronym for it that will be rolled out with our updated product release in the third quarter but that commitment starts here today with you guys."
LMAO

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
Old 23-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPOG6
They can do all they like... the changing of the guard started with the F6. It will be completed with the new Coyote.
F6 certainly hasn't dimmed HSV sales figures has it...........in fact it hasn't even "severely" affected BOSS V8 sales figures.

At the end of the day any company needs to sell sell sell to make its bottom line , so changing of the guard rubbish means bugger all if the product doesn't sell and doesn't pave the way for further R & D for the next generation.

To underestimate HSV in their attempts is not a good idea.........a lot of the word slinging here is simply media hype and tripe...........Its great for FPV to have a psychological verbal advantage.......aka supercharger.........but they better back it up with a product that goes hard , steers well and handles like a dream and sells a bucket load better than HSV otherwise the changing of the guard may very well be within FPV's own management ranks.
Old 23-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Typical comment from Harding, good to see he is passionate about his brand though.
A couple of contradicting comments though.

In the same sentence
Quote:
you're asking me to make a comment about another manufacturer and I'm not going to do that
Yet
Quote:
Sometimes they sell a third of our volume
Old 23-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I don't think HSV would be worried at all with what FPV are going to do, as it is still speculation at this point, it does come down to brand loyalty for a lot of HSV/FPV buyers and thats not going to change anytime soon. I think he is right when he says they are looking more at the Beemer and Audi buyers to jump across as most FPV buyers are loyal to the brand rather than what they perceive as the best car. The power war in all reality can't last much longer before the government steps in to say enough is enough with what we have all ready. And in all reality the only difference may be quarter times as both cars have the same quality and engineering level as they stand today, or in layman terms a much of a muchness.
Old 23-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2

that was excellently written

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
Old 23-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
CFOUR
The Destroyer

I don't see Holden as part of the market, ford has to sell me on it's new offering being better than it's old ones.
Old 23-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Sounds like spin to me.

The first time they would have heard about it in the HSV board room it would be:
" They are bringing out what??"

The second reaction would have been to the GM engineers:

" How much more bore and stroke do we have left to play with Scotty ?"

The answer being

" I'm sorry Captain, i canna giver her anymore ! ".
Old 23-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Turbo vehicles aren't all they are cracked up to be..... yeh sure its the easiest way to produce more torque from a smaller engine. But you will never have the sweet effortless and instantaneous response of the larger engines vehicles.....

However.... This is why I bought the golf, It's only a 1.4 but is supercharged AND turbocharged. It literally feels like and engine of a litre more capacity with no lag what so every! obviousley. Untill other makes bring out thing AMAZING twin charging technology on their smaller capacity engines, I'm not really interested. Supercharging is great but never as economical as turbo's. But turbo's have lag. Keep the V8's rolling

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HSV isn't worried because they always have a bunch of cashed up bogans loyal to the brand that we don't want tarnishing the FPV image anyway :
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Sounds like spin to me.

The first time they would have heard about it in the HSV board room it would be:
" They are bringing out what??"

The second reaction would have been to the GM engineers:

" How much more bore and stroke do we have left to play with Scotty ?"

The answer being

" I'm sorry Captain, i canna giver her anymore ! ".

post of the year
Old 23-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #16
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

HSV vying for the Audi and BMW buyers... please
Old 23-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
post of the year
second that classic

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
Old 23-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeap if that isn't straight from their PR department and not actually the chief then ill go heave.

You wonder why the majority of the red team are w@nks when their number 1 is so arrogant.

Its qoutes and articles like this that will make mid year even more sweeter.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
They have neons too but?

Cause HSV are watching and waiting with interest. It would be a concern to them as bragging rights is everything in this bracket .... and no .... Audi and BM isnt in this bracket! Every competitor watches what everyone is doing and 1 lost sale to FPV from HSV would not sit pretty with the all arrogant ones!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
Hey Audi buyers can wear flannos and have only 3 teeth too you know
Old 23-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #21
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I know a few Ex-HSV Drivers that have traded up to Audi's and beyond their business collapsing and being forced back in the segment none of them will be going back..

FPV are about to step up in a big way, 90% of the buyers for each side won't switch no matter how far against it their own brand is, and they 10% that will hardly break the bank for HSV.

They push each other but i don't belive for a second they sell to the same customer base more than 10% of the time.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #22
I6DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
Turbo vehicles aren't all they are cracked up to be..... yeh sure its the easiest way to produce more torque from a smaller engine. But you will never have the sweet effortless and instantaneous response of the larger engines vehicles.....

However.... This is why I bought the golf, It's only a 1.4 but is supercharged AND turbocharged. It literally feels like and engine of a litre more capacity with no lag what so every! obviousley. Untill other makes bring out thing AMAZING twin charging technology on their smaller capacity engines, I'm not really interested. Supercharging is great but never as economical as turbo's. But turbo's have lag. Keep the V8's rolling

Stoney!
errr....driven any of the the latest xr6/F6's lately? Even better....how about latest Porsche 911 Turbo (http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...0219-ol4t.html)
Old 23-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #23
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
HSV isn't worried because they always have a bunch of cashed up bogans loyal to the brand that we don't want tarnishing the FPV image anyway :
If you buy FPV or HSV, by defintion you are a bogan in the eye's of most people. Non bogans buy AMG's and the like. Which is abit silly imo,
Old 23-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #24
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

FPV must have something damn awesome planned with the coyote release, whatever it is, they seem quite smug, and all we have at the mo' is rumour.

I think I know what Holden will use to counter it. GM have had this in the pipeline for a while, LS4,000,000. Physically the size of a small skyscraper, the "you-know-what" measuring conpetition will finally be over with the release of this latest behemoth.

Come on ford, we all have faith in you!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
FPV must have something damn awesome planned with the coyote release, whatever it is, they seem quite smug, and all we have at the mo' is rumour.

I think I know what Holden will use to counter it. GM have had this in the pipeline for a while, LS4,000,000. Physically the size of a small skyscraper, the "you-know-what" measuring conpetition will finally be over with the release of this latest behemoth.

Come on ford, we all have faith in you!
It's standard practice to not let much info out about the new model while you are still trying to sell what's left of the old one - I dont think theyre being 'smug'.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #26
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Good point that. Still, I'm betting it will be awesome, whatever it is
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #27
Mr12345678x

Holden = Car manufacturer
HSV = Modified Holdens and Vauxhalls

Audi = Car manufacturer
BMW = Car manufacturer
Mercedes = Car manufacturer

Old 23-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #28
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It must have them a little worried for him to be carrying on the way he is. ( what a toolbag)

Especially when Ford can get the figures they do out of a 5l engine, 1.2lt smaller than HSV's

Next in line for HSV 8 litres I guess
Old 23-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #29
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzza
Holden = Car manufacturer
HSV = Modified Holdens and Vauxhalls

Audi = Car manufacturer
BMW = Car manufacturer
Mercedes = Car manufacturer

^ Gold!!!!
Old 23-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #30
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I hate to spoil your party biys but some of the HSV stuff makes sense to me.

The flip side is, Clearly an FPV is my weapon of choice but if the situation got so bad I couldn't buys an FPV and still be seen in public I'd be driving a 'non comparable" vehicle before I gave HSV a dime. I would not buy a HSV ever, so the only thing left would be to buy a left field alternative such as a BMW 135 or a WRX before a HSV.

On the plus side FPV if rumours are true are about to release a blown V8 which will kick HSV to the kerb.

I take mine in FPR Blue please.

T