Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #1
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Question Manheim,Pickles Auctions anybody use them?

I often check thru Manheim and Pickles to see whats available for auction and salvage as I live in WA not many Falcons pop on to there worthwhile that is.

Has anybody bought cars from these places or similar for salvage or projects etc?

Just interested because I'm certain older fords are going to be going cheap nowadays.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Manheim,Pickles Auctions anybody use them?

Last bargain to be had at the auctions was about circa 1999. It's just not worth it
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I brought my 2012 FG ute from Manheims in Grogan Rd near the International Airport a few years ago.

I just happened to be scanning their website on a Sunday night when its pre auction advert popped up. The price didn't seem to equate and it looked to be a steal so I was waiting at the door Monday morning

Checked it out and determined it was mine. You can buy them beforehand and during paperwork it became evident that they thought it was a Mk1 5 speed auto etc hence its price which still seemed low but I knew it was a Mk2 6speed.

Later at home besides the Smartbar up front it also happened to have a 150 litre replacement long range fuel tank. Winner winner .

The only issue is you cannot test drive them but most having low klm's this is not really a major problem.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
Yep I brought my 2012 FG ute from Manheims in Grogan Rd near the International Airport a few years ago.

Later at home besides the Smartbar up front it also happened to have a 150 litre replacement long range fuel tank. Winner winner .
off topic but is this petrol hell I bet its not gas (sob)
Old 03-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
off topic but is this petrol hell I bet its not gas (sob)
G'Day Tonz, how its going. Yeah mate petrol and can't even hear it idling. Sweet as. Planning another east trip probably around Aug.

Sample pic as was posted on the Sunday night. Also came with a hard top rear lid. Absolute spotless condition with not one mark or scratch and a 2012 Mk2 ZF 6speed auto with 145,000 klms on the clock and I picked it up for $9800 in August 2016.

For OP etc its subsequent rebuild is here

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...=1#post6176295
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
G'Day Tonz, how its going. Yeah mate petrol and can't even hear it idling. Sweet as. Planning another east trip probably around Aug.

Sample pic as was posted on the Sunday night. Also came with a hard top rear lid. Absolute spotless condition with not one mark or scratch and a 2012 Mk2 ZF 6speed auto with 145,000 klms on the clock and I picked it up for $9800 in August 2016.

For OP etc its subsequent rebuild is here

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...=1#post6176295
Very nice car
Old 03-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Last bargain to be had at the auctions was about circa 1999. It's just not worth it
or the Risk
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
hayseed

I've bought & sold a lot of gear through various Auctions over the last 30yrs. & have more good luck than bad.

You just need to be disciplined & know your Values.(both wholesale & retail)
I find graysonline the hardest & Most inflexible to deal with.. Had to sue them Once but they paid up rather than go to Court..

But as @fgpsi alluded to, The internet has made auctions accessable to Too Many Numbnuts who have their Ambitions confused with their capabilities......
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Bought my EF Fairmont at Fowells for $4500 and sold it 3 years later with an extra 80,000km for $9500, winning.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #10
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the auctions here in WA (usual suspects, Manheim and Pickles) just have to look in the right place at the right time.

I got my T1 TS50 from Pickles in Balcatta in 2010. Not a bargain, but certainly the "right price" considering buyers premium, permit to drive home (unregistered) etc.

Definitely luck of the drawer if there's anything worth getting.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #11
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Have bought every car I have ever owned from them...about 30.
Plus a couple of dozen wrecks for parts or fixing up.

Anyone expecting a new car is in the wrong place...but getting value for money or a bargain is not that hard if you know what you are looking at.

Buying over the internet is a more risky option than seeing it yourself naturally.

I am in Qld and have bought cars from WA even...they are a PITA to interstate owners but with their no rego for interstate buyers requirements...lucky I know some locals.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2019, 11:45 PM   #12
IanC

I used to buy at the auctions when 18 month old Falcons and Commodores were going for half the new price. That is all finished now. Govt cars seem to be kept for longer now and are no longer the bargain they used to be. Hatchbacks hold their value much better so not worth getting secondhand. If you buy at the end of the financial year and drive a hard bargain you can get a new one quite reasonably.

As for old cars at the auctions - no way. They are being sold there because the dealers took them as trade ins and they don't want them on their forecourt. If you are looking for an old car buy privately and you get a test drive and a chance to have a really good look. Also you get to see the previous owner and that can tell you a lot.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2019, 07:41 AM   #13
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Thanks for all the input guys.

As for salvage cars do the towies help with that or is it pull it out yourself situation they don't wanna touch it?

Keeping an eye out for XR8's
Old 04-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #14
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1 View Post

As for salvage cars do the towies help with that or is it pull it out yourself situation they don't wanna touch it?

I’ve picked a few cars up from salvage auction in Melbourne years ago, if you don’t mind them loading the car up with a forklift. I assume this is still the way it works.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #15
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1 View Post

Due to stronger OHS regulations nowdays you normally need a tilttray towtruck...they can refuse to let you in the yard if you rock up with a dodgy car trailer pulled by another falcon etc...all moving is done by forklift, often this does more damage to the underside/doors of the wreck than the write off did.
Towies are usually there on auction day handing out business cards...you normally have a few days to pay and collect then you may be liable for storage fees.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #16
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Due to stronger OHS regulations nowdays you normally need a tilttray towtruck...they can refuse to let you in the yard if you rock up with a dodgy car trailer pulled by another falcon etc...all moving is done by forklift, often this does more damage to the underside/doors of the wreck than the write off did.
Towies are usually there on auction day handing out business cards...you normally have a few days to pay and collect then you may be liable for storage fees.
Good to know must say this forum is a amazing resource.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #17
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to have a laugh register for Pickles online auctions "just watch" and see what people are paying for these cars LMAO
Old 04-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #18
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The old tidy it up and make a profit doesn't work anymore either.
People are willing to pay extra for a dealer warranty. Plus the opportunity to trade their current car, rather than having it sitting on the front lawn for years and eventually giving it away.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

JD's ute was a steal! I'm envious.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #20
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
JD's ute was a steal! I'm envious.
That's why I was on their doorstep on Monday morning as the price seemed a bit strange but I was expecting them to say, oops there's been an error and it should have had a 1 in front of the 9. Just the smartbar and hardtop were each worth 1k plus. I suspect they also didn't realise it had the long range fuel tank along with actually being a Mk2 6 speed.

Many others that were on CarPoint, Carsales etc on the same night were between 15-20k.

I was only net surfing for something to do that night but when I saw this I thought it could be true so I'd better go have a look as deep down I was thinking of getting something

Brought it on the spot and went back and collected it the same day. She purrs with no squeaks or rattles, not a scratch outside or inside and drives superb. I've since decked it out inside an out etc and couldn't be happier.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #21
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

I work for Manheim's in Perth, in the truck and machinery side, but have helped a few members with cars here, too. There's definitely bargains and good cars to be had if you look close enough- it's dangerous me working here

Most of the dealers buy their cars from Auctions so it's not a case of paying too much or getting a bad car, good chance the one the dealer has came from an auction...

Happy to help anyone looking at buying or selling a car/truck/trailer/boat, whatever though, just hit me up
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5

Last edited by jimt3te50; 04-04-2019 at 07:19 PM.
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #22
KBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
I work for Manheim's in Perth, in the truck and machinery side, but have helped a few members with cars here, too. There's definitely bargains and good cars to be had if you look close enough- it's dangerous me working here

Most of the dealers buy their cars from Auctions so it's not a case of paying too much or getting a bad car, good chance the one the dealer has came from an auction...

Happy to help anyone looking at buying or selling a car/truck/trailer/boat, whatever though, just hit me up
Damn you shouldnt have said that Jim, I have bought quite a few cars from here and Pickles over the years. I may just take you up on that offer one day mate
XD Fairmont 5.8
XB GS Coupe, no engine, future project
VG Transit, AU 5.0
TC Cortina ute, finish 1 day

I need to find a hobby
KBC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #23
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Bought my last Ford, a BF Mk1 Fairmont, via a Spotter thru the auctions.

Sure I paid a spotters fee but I gave them a list of must-haves and nice-to-haves, and my max bid. I was aiming for a Futura and ended up with a Fairmont that ticked all my boxes, for what was dealer BA XT money at the time.

The spotter saved me the 6hrs travel and bid within my requirements. That Fairmont served me well for 5 years. In that time I put a decent gas system on it, added 300k to th clock, and pocketed over $20k fuel savings, nearly double the purchase price of the car!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 12:33 AM   #24
JG33

I bought my 2015 G6E 6 months ago from Pickles (ex council).
At the time I wanted a FGX G6E and there was bugger all in the dealerships. (was contemplating buying one online over the border) and then one came up here.

Did I save money as from a car dealer?, a little, nothing to brag about.
I actually had a look at it the day before the auction and bid online for it the next day. Although they do charge $100 for bidding online which I thought it was a bit rude.

Still happy with the purchase
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #25
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Yep. My XR6 came from Pickles in Belmore. I saw it (and another one, an auto) listed online, over the weekend, and was just daydreaming about one day owning one, when Dad wandered over and had a look.
It's just down the street from where we work, so we went to have a look on Monday evening before the auction. Dad registered to bid.

He knew what my maximum was, and after making sure I wanted the manual instead of the 3 month newer auto, I wandered off, because I couldn't handle the stress of the auction when it came to the car I wanted.

He was bidding against dealer reps - they bought the auto, and after going slightly over my maximum, we walked away with the winning bid.

Returned on Tuesday afternoon with a bank cheque, and drove my new car out of the yard.

We've been very happy together ever since!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post