Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Pennant Hills to CBD drive time??

Hey all, as mentioned in an earlier post, I am probably moving to Sydney in a few months and staying for a year with work.

Looking at renting in the Pennant Hills area maybe. What would the drive time in peak hour be to the Sydney CBD??

Cant take public transport as my job involves me using my work car during the day

thanks for any help

David

DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Depending what time you start, say 2hrs min there and back, I could be out a bit depending rain, accidents etc but as said depending start time.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

A good run 45 minutes after 6.45 or so, good luck....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

About 2 days, take ya swag
Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

45 minutes is bearable I suppose. Doing 20 mins now

2 days, I'd best pack my lunch!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

I'd give it an hour during peak, but as has been mentioned accidents or rain will rape you.

If you can get away with going in early, DO SO.

Alternately, leave your car at work and take public transport.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a few routes you can take. (which you'll discover when you come here)
the one i would do (cos i loath tolls) would be pennant hills rd, left on to marsden, left on to victoria road (get ready for an ar5e pounding) and that takes you in to basically whichever part of the cbd you want to go.

victoria road after 7 gets reallllly clogged and when it rains, all the idiots come out to play.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Steffo
LPG > You

Peak Hour? Forget it! Leave before it and occupy yourself in the city somehow!

Realistically, in the heat of peak hour, about 1.5-2 hours. Traffic free? 30-35 min.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Sorry DJR David, but these guys have a point the quality of life ie, sitting in traffic or waiting for late trains etc is pretty poor in Sydney.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I live in the next suburb from Penno and it takes 50 minutes tops in peak hour. It has never taken me 2 hours to get to work. I usually leave at 7:30am (when I do drive) and am at work around 8:15 - 8:25am.

If you live in Penno though, I'd take the train from there. I catch the train from Thornleigh (next station on) and it takes 42 minutes to town hall (I'd say 40 from Penno). Much better and easier. There is a parking station (free) at thornleigh or road side parking at Penno (again free but not under cover). As for lateness of trains, in the last 6 months, the train has been late for me 3 or so times and only by 5-10 minutes. Its a good line thats usually hassel free...

Good Luck!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow these are some serious big numbers.
I was also considering southern area such as Caringbah, but have no idea of times for there to get to the cbd. any clues for that please???

Basically looking for 3 bed house or townhouse, up to $450 a week. I'll only be staying in Syd for a year. My main concern is decent area for my kids etc

thanks

David
Old 03-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the input kypez. I could handle 50 mins.

thanks, David
Old 03-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David
I was also considering southern area such as Caringbah, but have no idea of times for there to get to the cbd. any clues for that please???

Basically looking for 3 bed house or townhouse, up to $450 a week. I'll only be staying in Syd for a year. My main concern is decent area for my kids etc

thanks

David
Mate, as far as the area goes, you'll love it if you like leafy suburbs. I've lived in this area all my life.

I dont like the southern suburbs... too concrete...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Sorry DJR David, but these guys have a point the quality of life ie, sitting in traffic or waiting for late trains etc is pretty poor in Sydney.

and that is why I intend to move up your way to work in Newcastle after a year in Sydney!!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the hills area is a great area to live DJR, caringbah (from what ive seen so dont shoot me) isnt as good, and itll be just as big of a pain to get in and out of the CBD if not worse.

+1 to the idea of just leaving for the city early and then enjoying a morning coffee or something, its what i do
Old 03-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #16
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David

thanks

David
Caringbah is pretty good direct run into town, and the Shire is pretty ok place for kids to grow up.

30-40 mins in peak, 20 mins outside peak.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a bummer that you have to use the car during the day DJR David - that's the worst thing to be locked into if you work in CBD. What about leaving the car at work and taking the train to and from home?! If you shift down a bit to Epping you're looking at about 20-25 mins to Central by fast train, or about 35 mins from Hornsby if you go up there. (Pennant Hills doesn't get fast trains) Pacific Highway a little better for car driving if you accept the mess across the bridge. Overall though CBD commute is better by train, otherwise resign yourself to sitting in a slow-moving carpark. Welcome to the Sydney transport mess!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #18
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
What a bummer that you have to use the car during the day DJR David - that's the worst thing to be locked into if you work in CBD. What about leaving the car at work and taking the train to and from home?! If you shift down a bit to Epping you're looking at about 20-25 mins to Central by fast train, or about 35 mins from Hornsby if you go up there. (Pennant Hills doesn't get fast trains) Pacific Highway a little better for car driving if you accept the mess across the bridge. Overall though CBD commute is better by train, otherwise resign yourself to sitting in a slow-moving carpark. Welcome to the Sydney transport mess!

Might even look at leaving the car at work every now again to avoid the traffic. However will have to drive most days

Our budget looks to suit townhouses etc on the belt from Dundas through Hornsby. Will be moving in maybe 2-3 months, so just trying for ideas for now. Checking realestatedotcomdotau quite a bit!!

Rumour has it though that when our fleet gets replaced in May we might be getting Falcons, so that should make it easier (than my current lame VZ!!)
Old 03-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #19
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dundas is near west ryde which is where i live with the missus for work. leaving @ just before 7am gets me to alexandria (just passed the cbd) @ 7.40
Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #20
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Getting a house to rent won't be a walk in ????
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #21
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pennant hills to CBD is a monster, even on the M2.. avoiding the tolls until the bridge it will take you around 1.5 hours in traffic, although rain/crashes can tripple this.

using the m2, i catch a bus that leaves west pennant hills valley at 7:05, usually get to town hall at between 7:50-8:05 which is pretty good.

With driving though, its got one of those bracket times where if you leave at say, 6:40 to drive to the city you will get there at 7:30, if you leave at 6:50 you wont get there till 8:00
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #22
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
With driving though, its got one of those bracket times where if you leave at say, 6:40 to drive to the city you will get there at 7:30, if you leave at 6:50 you wont get there till 8:00
That's very true. 10 minutes difference can cost you heaps of time. Generally in Sydney you need to set out driving before 7 or after 9.30, anything in between is a write off. One thing I've noticed in consultancy (where time is more flexible) is that nobody sets meetings before 10 to escape the peak. Anybody who sets a meeting for 9 am is regarded as either a bit simple or plain nasty! The only way to meet such a time is if it's on a train line and you can go to the meeting by train!

(Hope we haven't put you off Sydney yet DJR David!!)
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #23
BlackLS
yum

Campbelltown, if you don't get onto the Hume Hwy/M5 before 6am, it'll take over 1.5hours. 45 mins with no traffic.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #24
PoMmYwOG

im from liverpool and work in lane cove... if i leave before 630, ill get to work in 1 hr...if i leave after 630 its 1.5-2hrs...no matter which way i go...the driving really drains me , but i need to drive cos of work.

the northern subs are nice places to live, i like the area around lane cove where i work and of an afternoon i leave a 4pm to see the g/f i can get to the city in 15mins, down epping rd past longueville, artarmon etc...

the rental situation in syd is rediculous, me and gf have been looking at renting a unit for the past 2MONTHS!!!! we have been looking and applying everywhere...problem is sooo many ppl are renting in syd now. Every inspection we go to there has to be like 20-30ppl there.

Renting is like an auction these days, everybodys goes to view the property and the person willing to pay the highest amount of rent wins...we have even offered 30buks a week ontop of the asking price and missed out cos someone put in an extra 50 a week...its rediculous...i need to move closer to work but finding a place is holding us back...

to the original poster, mate id start seriously looking now and gettign a feel of what the syd market is like to deal with...its really bad...ur best off start applying a month before you wanna be here....

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #25
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoMmYwOG
im from liverpool and work in lane cove... if i leave before 630, ill get to work in 1 hr...if i leave after 630 its 1.5-2hrs...no matter which way i go...the driving really drains me , but i need to drive cos of work.

the northern subs are nice places to live, i like the area around lane cove where i work and of an afternoon i leave a 4pm to see the g/f i can get to the city in 15mins, down epping rd past longueville, artarmon etc...

the rental situation in syd is rediculous, me and gf have been looking at renting a unit for the past 2MONTHS!!!! we have been looking and applying everywhere...problem is sooo many ppl are renting in syd now. Every inspection we go to there has to be like 20-30ppl there.

Renting is like an auction these days, everybodys goes to view the property and the person willing to pay the highest amount of rent wins...we have even offered 30buks a week ontop of the asking price and missed out cos someone put in an extra 50 a week...its rediculous...i need to move closer to work but finding a place is holding us back...

to the original poster, mate id start seriously looking now and gettign a feel of what the syd market is like to deal with...its really bad...ur best off start applying a month before you wanna be here....

Luckily my employer will put me up in temporary accommodation for about 3 weeks, which will hopefully give us time to find a suitable place. Keeping a good eye on the internet for locations/prices so as soon as we get down there we can get a place ASAP
Thanks to all for ya input!!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #26
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

At least it wont be as wet down NSW as it has been up your way DJR David. Good luck on your move mate.