Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default builders apprentice

Guys,

Just after some info, or comments if possible.

I'm thinking of a totally new career, as a builder.

My current profession is as a chef, and I work overseas in 5 star hotels as the head honcho....

I'm over it, well, not the job, more the lifestyle... or should i say lack of it.

I have a son back in australia, and it's about time he really needs a father figure around him, so I want to give up the life of making tons of cash, not paying tax, and travelling plenty to be near him.

THE BIG QUESTION IS, would builders take me on as an apprentice? I'm not worried about the money side of things, pay etc, I can survive on money saved, house bought etc for a few years at least.

Appreciate anyones comments or ideas suggestions or whatever.

Thanks,

Mick.

conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate go for it, money isent everything, family is.

Best bet is to get in touch with a few builders and see what they have to say, because depending on your age and all but if you have a positive attitude and willing to work why wouldnt a good boss take you on?
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks mickyyyy.... yeah, i'm pretty boxed off for money, and am a very positive individual, with no bad habbits etc.

guess I will just have to finalise with wifey what we really want to do and just do it.

familiy is everything, (son is from a previous relationship, but it's amicable, and i've re-married)

ta.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im actually thinking of doing the same thing. I am totally sick of the Finance Industry. Does anyone know how much a mature age builders apprentice make?
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you guys considered demolition? my mate does it with some 13ton thing and gets $25.00 per hour.

Now he only had to do a 2 week course and he's out there. Hi boss got some big job which he is going to get $55.00 per hour but 1 week day shift 12hr days and 2 week night shift 12hr shift.

If i were to have a carrer change ill do that for sure, good money from the start and if you want to open your own business its pretty straight forward too as there isent much to demolition tools.
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Nathan&Amanda

yeah there is a boom going on and you will get taken on,

either as apprentice or a labourer, even get into TA ( trade assistant) nothing needed and good money.

you will be on 3rd year wages as a mature apprentice, for the first 3 years, then go up like normal after that.
Nathan&Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
olfella
Cranky old bastard

My neighbour is a bit younger than me (but he still has a grown up family) and he is in his final year as a refrigeration mechanic. He is in the building maintenance area and just reckons it is the best thing he ever has done. Hey, and you can still cook BBQs on your weekends...

My advice - Go for it.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

quick Q, can you not just get a Chef job here? or do you really want a new direction? Would starting your own restaurant be a possibility?

yeah best advice is already said, just ask the builders first and see what the possibility is. i have a mate who's mum is now in mid 40's and has just completed her electricians apprenticeship!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol.....

chef job, nah mate, what time do people eat dinner??? thats right,,,,, late.
the hours we do are stupid, and unsocial at best.
looking for a totally different direction, spin, challenge.

lol.... mid 40's hey? good on her.

Mick.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you thought of moving into nutrition etc or dietitian

plenty of fat people around that need to be told how to eat..
plus lots of diabetics and ceoliac sufferers that need guidance on what to eat

and its 9-5 job
Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
Slow Ute

appretice wage in nth qld is about $15/hr for mature age, plus a travel allowance.
if you are over 30 the gumbyment will give you $150/wk via centerlink per week second year you get $100/wk they also pay for your training, give you a tool alowance and i think you are entitlet to a wage top up.

which state are you in? in qld there are apprentiship groups that take care of all the paper work for the employer. they can tell you what you can get as a mature age or over 30 (mid career appretice i think its called) if you find this out it will give you some ammo when you start hunting for a job because not a lot of guys know what they can get from the gumbyment. this will give the employer some incentive to put you on as a apprentice. dont work for a builder, become a appretice carpenter with a subby. if you work for a builder you will be the lacky and learn all. a subby will teach you.

cheers
mick
2005 toyota hilux V6 auto 14.9 @89mph SOLD :the_finge
starting new project 2007 (probably 2009) sleep:
Slow Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks mate.
am currently working overseas, have property in wide bay area though in qld.

lifestyle is calling.

mick.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

if i could be in a position where financially we didn't need all of my current wage (ie in your position - house paid off and some good savings to live off if I needed to) I would not think about it, and just do it. I'd love to have real trade behind me and work for myself, or even better, get a trade and start renovating houses.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post