Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
marc97au
Starter Motor

Default SA Motoring Enthusiasts need your Support

SA Motoring Enthusiasts need your Support

SA has a State Election on the 15th March 2014 and a group of independent enthusiasts have been communicating and meeting with the Political Parties, Ministers and candidates for a few weeks now trying to get acknowledgement and a decent deal for all motoring enthusiasts in SA not just the ones in car clubs who are sometimes represented but often not.
http://cars.aremyworld.com.au/
If you or your family, friends, relatives associates or even “Bob” down the road who has an old car in the shed want to let politicians know that you and your vote counts and that you as an individual want your passions and interests looked after please send them the attached email just by following the link.
What the independent enthusiasts want for them, you and the other South Australians is
· Politicians and Political Parties to declared their support for independent motoring enthusiasts and acknowledgement of the positive contribution they make and can make to the SA economy in supporting small automotive and associated enterprises and industries, buying fuel, buying insurance, undertaking State small tourism activities and the very positive influence they have on small business by promoting local purchases as they legally pursue our passions and interests.
· A declaration from Politicians and their Parties that they support to bringing SA into line with the legislation in other states and an acknowledgment of the need to better support motoring enthusiasts and assisting them to extend the lawful pursuit of their interests.
· A declaration of support to immediately reinstate the rolling 30 year and older eligibility criteria for Historic Vehicles which will demonstrate they are willing to act positively.
· A declaration of support and undertaking the review and changing of the unfair and unjust appalling practices and treatment that enthusiasts, trade and public experience when dealing with the Vehicle Approval and Inspection systems at Regency Park.
· The streamlining of bureaucracy and red tape to facilitate motoring enthusiasts, whether club and or organisation affiliated or not, to lawfully pursue their interests and activities.
This is a once per election cycle opportunity for you and everyone you can muster to make a difference and even if the independent enthusiasts don’t get what they want for you and other enthusiasts it will be a first step to making politicians listen and stop ignoring enthusiasts or using them as a cash cow.
Get everyone you know to send a big message to Politicians before it’s too late. If you do nothing you get nothing, link it to your face book and twitter make this a big last week push so they don’t have time to put spin on it and make a real difference.

marc97au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SA Motoring Enthusiasts need your Support

I live in NSW and I know the difference that this can make.

After a number of years we now have a working party with enthusiasts and industry members as part of the process of making new legislation for enthusiasts. Its still a work in progress but it has made a very big difference to the way we are treated here in New South but it didn't come without a lot of work and enthusiasts showing that they are passionate about the subject.

There is a lot of strength in numbers and you CAN make a difference!

Get behind this initiative SA enthusiasts!
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
marc97au
Starter Motor

Thanks for your good words and support.

Come on all you South Australians get behind this we are not a club we have no agenda or axe to grind we are average enthusiasts that want to be heard and election time is the only opportunity we have.

Give up a few minutes send an email and make a mark and hopefully a difference.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc97au View Post
Thanks for your good words and support.

Come on all you South Australians get behind this we are not a club we have no agenda or axe to grind we are average enthusiasts that want to be heard and election time is the only opportunity we have.

Give up a few minutes send an email and make a mark and hopefully a difference.
These sorts of template cookie-cutter emails tend to be a waste of time and inefficient way of lobbying government. After they receive a few, all they will do is set up their spam filter to filter them out.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by karj View Post
These sorts of template cookie-cutter emails tend to be a waste of time and inefficient way of lobbying government. After they receive a few, all they will do is set up their spam filter to filter them out.
So what are your recommendations and what do you do personally to change things.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
So what are your recommendations and what do you do personally to change things.
I wasn't actually criticising the initiative, I was just being realistic about what happens with this sort of approach. It's hard to get government to listen, generally you need to build a carefully managed and positive public profile to be effective in lobbying for change... or have deep pockets and throw "fundraisers."
Old 10-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i take exception with this point

· A declaration of support and undertaking the review and changing of the unfair and unjust appalling practices and treatment that enthusiasts, trade and public experience when dealing with the Vehicle Approval and Inspection systems at Regency Park.

i've always found them polite, courteous and extremely professional
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
marc97au
Starter Motor

Well I'm very pleased to hear that there are some people who are happy with the service.

You are first I've heard in a long time and I won't bother to give you my and others personal history with the this "establishment". No, I'm far from being a boy racer with lots of defects to get off, I am car enthusiast and an engineer who has dealt with this system for myself, organisations and clients for many many years.

If you like the status quo then thanks for your time and I wish you well.

I also agree with the previous post about spam filters but each day the subject line will change, and yes they can set up word filters etc we have a few IT people who know the systems and advise that in the government system there is an obligation to not delete emails especially from different email accounts. Right or not we need to try and be heard, do nothing get nothing.

The opposition may be slower to respond to the same proforma but has more options and can ignore things at their own peril as I have met with them on a few recent occasions and are informed of the message we are trying to give them and while they have not made a commitment due to not enough political will we will try and give them that political will. We can only all try and again request assistance.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not that hard, theres a bunch of rules, you build up to the rules, you dont go outside them.

Anyways....

Who is AMEP buddying up with in regard to major parties??
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post

Agreed, I have personally taken hundreds if not a thousand vehicles through Regency park whilst working for Toyota and only once had a drama with Tint on a vehicle which had come through from the NT with 'Nigga tint'(no offence, just what they call it) applied.

Mind you, it doesn't surprise me that many find themselves on the wrong side of the boys, many cant even follow basic instructions.
The best I ever saw was a new comer who rolled into the old Kateena st depot, pulls up in the carport, walks inside and then argued with them for a good 10 minutes over why he must get straight through as he was in a hurry.
Or expired licenses, incorrect paperwork, clearly defectable interstaters etc. etc.

They are just doing a job and deal with ********* and know it all's daily.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Its not that hard, theres a bunch of rules, you build up to the rules, you dont go outside them.

Anyways....

Who is AMEP buddying up with in regard to major parties??
I'm pretty sure they signed a deal with the devil (Clive Parmigiana)
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
The FOMOCO

I agree marc97au thanks for bringing this to my attention
Old 13-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

well if they relaxed some of the modification laws and brought us up to the level of other states people wouldnt think they are complete nazis

but as pb said
they are doing the job and going by the rules of the state when it comes to motor vehicles

but why oh why we dont have one set of mod rules for car enthusiasts over the whole country is a question thats been asked a million times and nothing ever happens

good luck with the fight
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
well if they relaxed some of the modification laws and brought us up to the level of other states people wouldnt think they are complete nazis

but as pb said
they are doing the job and going by the rules of the state when it comes to motor vehicles

but why oh why we dont have one set of mod rules for car enthusiasts over the whole country is a question thats been asked a million times and nothing ever happens

good luck with the fight
Well that is an interesting point, if we get a Liberal Government here in SA, unless im mistaken, we will have a Liberal Federal Government and Liberal leadership in 5 states and the NT.
It would have to be a good time to push for such a united stance, to align not just modification rules, but the whole transport system into a national system.
Old 13-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #15
pmacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Well that is an interesting point, if we get a Liberal Government here in SA, unless im mistaken, we will have a Liberal Federal Government and Liberal leadership in 5 states and the NT.
It would have to be a good time to push for such a united stance, to align not just modification rules, but the whole transport system into a national system.
As much as that sounds like a no brainer idea i can tell you it will never happen and its down to one word

REVENUE

if they give up their powers to a national system, who collects the revenue
? who undertakes the expenditure? it would just create a fight between the states over who gets what
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
Nova 8

Quote:

I agree with this completely, I've been to regency a few time for illegal modifications (too loud and too low generally) plus to return a car or two back to the road. I always found them very professional to deal with and unless your a fool who is trying to pull wool over their eyes they are done with you quickly and kindly and I've always found they are motoring enthusiasts who are happy to have a chat about cars as they go.

If anything we need more inspections in SA as there are so many death traps on the road, which I guess falls to the police. I did hear something about this in the news a couple months back but doubt that the cops increased defect notices applied to rolling coffins that are out there.
Old 13-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #17
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Yeah I'm in the it will never happen basket too.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacc View Post
As much as that sounds like a no brainer idea i can tell you it will never happen and its down to one word

REVENUE

if they give up their powers to a national system, who collects the revenue
? who undertakes the expenditure? it would just create a fight between the states over who gets what
But it wouldn't need to be Federally controlled.
It can remain overseen by State government and administered/policed by the current crop.
Taking it to a Federal level through State Government would just aid in getting it on the table and nutting it out to suit all concerned.

Lobby.
Old 15-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:

I also agree with this.... I (virtually) completely re-engineered every system in my Wagon... Before I started the build, I aproached the fellas at Regency to discuss any do's & dont's... and I found that they were very polite, easy to deal with, interested in my project and how I was going about it, and even offered me some great advice ! When I was just having a chat with them one day, I found that quite a few had project builds of their own going on at home (some were quite radical too !)... which made me feel like I was dealing with "like minded" car enthusiast types, who understood... and not just Govco red tape pen pushers ! Then, when I finally presented the FAWD for it's final inspection.. I was in & out in about 1 1/2 hrs... all done, passed and easy !

I do agree that the general car enthusiast in SA needs to be better understood and catered for though... eg: I have a 98 NL 5.0 (which I've owned since new) which is no longer my daily driver... and hasn't been for at least 8yrs. Now I understand that it isn't a "classic" perse'... but if Shannons are willing to give me a reduced "low miliage" insurance because they recognise it is basically my "sunday drive" car, which mostly sits at home in the garage... then why can't this also be reflected in the amount of rego I pay for it, etc. !?? I acknowledge there would need to be some sort of system in place to ensure this wasn't abused... but it's not impossible !
The capping of the "classic" car system at cars built up to 1978 (from memory) would be ok too... if they introduced something else to cater for those built after that date... as they too reach a certain agreed age !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post