Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
dave289
Banned

Thumbs down Falcon wagon derailed.Not sure if its AU or BA.

Dont now if you guys have seen this before but was sent it in an email.
Is it fair to assume they must have been travelling quite fast or could this happen travelling at the speed limit(whatever that was).I have a ba wagon and was not impressed with the damage caused from what is supposed to be protecting us .both the car and the railing.

dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
RATT
In a Pug..

It's an AU and would have hit the guard rail at a reasonably high spead I think.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
kocho
The Futuriser

Thats horrific.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

That car was later bought by Hilliers and repaired as their work vehicle... Happened years back.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

wait, they repaired it.. ? what the gently carress
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

Strange, there was a pic very similar a few years back of an XF in the same situation. Angles were different IIRC, but same concept. Im dubious.

Note the way the armco does not pop the tailgate, but guts through the firewall, engine etc.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats One Big Hit
RavenLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
ck11

Doubt that is authentic.
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

IIRC it is authentic and yes it was an AUI. Reason it didn't pop the tailgate is quite an easy one to answer. The car came to a stop before it got to it. No survivors either.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

new cars are too soft an old xb would have knocked that flat and kept motoring along on the way to pick up some fish and chips for dinner or maybe the drive in movie especially if it was a panel van
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
dave289
Banned

In the email i recieved of the au wagon were a couple of other shots i thought i should show you.

and another...

dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Top one would be a shipping container dropping off a skel I'd say and the second the car looks to have run up the grounding wire.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'm going to to take a wild stab in the dark at what that greeny-blue car in the picture is, a taurus ? but damn is it slammed! best lowrider i've seen. i hope, fleetingly that there was no one in it..
Old 22-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
IIRC it is authentic and yes it was an AUI. Reason it didn't pop the tailgate is quite an easy one to answer. The car came to a stop before it got to it. No survivors either.
Yeah I gathered the idea was the car stopped before popping the tailgate. But I put that in the category of bomb disposal disarming the bomb one second before detonation, although remotely possible that really only happens on TV. How hard would it need to hit to drive the motor out of the way, rip through the firewall and back seat, and stop resting on the tailgate, without even buckling the line where it closes? If you look at the pic, the armco looks to be hard up against the tailgate, yet the tailgate is perfectly shut.

Add to that the motor itself, where is it? Yeah yeah, to the side. That rail looks like it hit close to dead centre, look at the rail through the car, its only at a slight angle all the way back through the car. Id expect the motor would be pushed back and up/down, not simply to the right.

The left inner guard is just gone, not buckled up somewhere, just gone. No sign of half a radiator or condenser, nadda. Theres not even the remnants of a radiator support panel.

Theres not enough damage to the dash top. I doubt a fat piece of armco could cut through the firewall and leave the dash top intact, seemingly still flush with the firewall.

I could be wrong, but having a very similar picture before, the nature of the internet, and the apparent damage I doubt its genuine. And the pic I first saw of this type of event maybe 5 yrs ago, the car was much older than an AU.

On the topic of armco, the purpose of armco is to keep you out of the trees or other lanes when you hit along it, not when you hit the start of it. This is one reason for the newer wire barriers, they do the same job but without the recoil effect back into the lane you came from, they are a gentler way of bringing the car to a stop while keeping the car on the correct side of the barrier. These get complaints too due to the damage they cause, and potential to decapitate bikers, nothing is perfect, they both do the job they are designed with in mind quite well though.
Old 22-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
old_mate
Smash the Boost

That AU, as stated, was bought and repaired by the Hilliers, i have seen a photo of it since with the dint in the tailgate as a 'reminder'

those guys build hearses and disabled taxis and stuff, wouldnt have been too hard to fix (remember it was only a newish car at the time)

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
That AU, as stated, was bought and repaired by the Hilliers, i have seen a photo of it since with the dint in the tailgate as a 'reminder'

those guys build hearses and disabled taxis and stuff, wouldnt have been too hard to fix (remember it was only a newish car at the time)
Those guys also built the Two Door AU and who can forget the Gold XP Coupe. Not too mention the AU Arrow.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck11
Doubt that is authentic.
Old 22-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #18
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does any1 have any photos of the tailgate wiv the ding in it?
cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #19
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and, THE OWNED-METER GOES OFF THE SCALE!!!!!!!
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #20
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

was anyone killed in that acciendent !! i reacon they would have to been doing over 100 kms an hours at least ! i i knew of some one with an black eb fairmont ! which a similar thing happend near brisbane some years ago !! but he hit the side and the guard went through the side driver door of the car and the guard went through him but he passed away immediatly !!
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #21
LUXO_8
windsor user

not much is known about the accident itself, but you couldnt imagine the driver being too well with a dash jammed into his guts, and any passengers you couldnt imagine being well...

the hilliers bought it at auction, and generally its not disclosed about the outcome of people in accidents...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #22
fmc351
let it burn

Well Ill be stuffed.
Old 22-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #23
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate

Why oh why would you repair something like that? Not doubting it, or their skills, but what a waste of time!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #24
rodderz

Kind of reminds me of those workers who fall off building sites and get impaled on a star picket or a length of reo
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #25
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Why oh why would you repair something like that? Not doubting it, or their skills, but what a waste of time!
for exactly that reason....showing off their skills
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #26
ck11

ok i guess i have been owned haha.
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #27
Skotty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Yeah I gathered the idea was the car stopped before popping the tailgate. But I put that in the category of bomb disposal disarming the bomb one second before detonation, although remotely possible that really only happens on TV. How hard would it need to hit to drive the motor out of the way, rip through the firewall and back seat, and stop resting on the tailgate, without even buckling the line where it closes? If you look at the pic, the armco looks to be hard up against the tailgate, yet the tailgate is perfectly shut.

Add to that the motor itself, where is it? Yeah yeah, to the side. That rail looks like it hit close to dead centre, look at the rail through the car, its only at a slight angle all the way back through the car. Id expect the motor would be pushed back and up/down, not simply to the right.

The left inner guard is just gone, not buckled up somewhere, just gone. No sign of half a radiator or condenser, nadda. Theres not even the remnants of a radiator support panel.

Theres not enough damage to the dash top. I doubt a fat piece of armco could cut through the firewall and leave the dash top intact, seemingly still flush with the firewall.

I could be wrong, but having a very similar picture before, the nature of the internet, and the apparent damage I doubt its genuine. And the pic I first saw of this type of event maybe 5 yrs ago, the car was much older than an AU.

On the topic of armco, the purpose of armco is to keep you out of the trees or other lanes when you hit along it, not when you hit the start of it. This is one reason for the newer wire barriers, they do the same job but without the recoil effect back into the lane you came from, they are a gentler way of bringing the car to a stop while keeping the car on the correct side of the barrier. These get complaints too due to the damage they cause, and potential to decapitate bikers, nothing is perfect, they both do the job they are designed with in mind quite well though.
Do you have anything better to do with your time than try to pick faults and try to find reason why the pic could be a fake... I knew it was legit but I guess I get that after spending 50hrs plus a week working on crashed cars lol...
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #28
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

I saw this in the back of a car magazine awhile back and it stated that the driver was not hurt at all,i just cant remember exactly if they fell asleep or were drunk,i even have a memory of reading a piece in the article that the person driving had fled the scene
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #29
red_hotxr6
Banned

That car must have been flying, hope no one was hurt.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #30
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Pretty cool that they fixed it. Like others in this thread, I remember seeing that quite a while back and the Hiller Bros. in Tenterfield most definatley did repair it...

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post