Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Police fake breath test results

Police fake breath test resultsArticle from: October 08, 2007 12:00am

QUEENSLAND police are faking alcohol breath tests so they can meet a "stupid" political quota of three million drink driving checks a year, senior officers say.

They claimed overworked frontline police routinely manipulated SD-400 alcometers to generate dozens of false "zeroes" in a few minutes.

Police Minister Judy Spence today announced the Crime and Misconduct Commission would investigate.

"These are very, very serious allegations - they lead to the integrity and honesty of our police officers - and obviously we want to make sure this doesn't occur," Ms Spence said.

The trick was done by blocking airholes on the devices with fingers or straws, which causes a negative alcohol reading.

Although motorists are not directly affected, the fake results distort data so it appears Queensland roads are safer than in reality.

State politicians have repeatedly used the data to claim Queensland has Australia's highest testing rate and a relatively low offence rate of one drink driver per 100 motorists.

Parliament's Travelsafe Select Committee chairman Jim Pearce said he wasn't aware testing devices could be manipulated.

"I've never heard that before. If that is happening, it's quite alarming," he said. "It would mean there are a lot more drunk drivers out there than we think."

The quota was established before his tenure and might need to be reviewed, he said.

A police media spokeswoman claimed there was no evidence of fake testing. However, the officers spoken to by The Courier-Mail claimed police did not have enough resources to carry out three million breath tests a year on top of their other duties.

"Too often we turn up to jobs where they needed us two days before. We're flogged going from job to job," the six-year veteran said.

"There isn't time to spend hours setting up road blocks."

Police Minister Judy Spence said: "Any police officer who is found to have engaged or be engaging in this highly unethical conduct or committing acts of deception will be severely disciplined

A police officer with six years experience said he faked alcohol tests for two years before eventually refusing to do it any more and claimed he had witnessed "hundreds" of bogus tests.

"The quota system is purely a statistical exercise and that exercise is a stupidity," he said.

He said police referred to the fake tests as "Car-B-Ts," a play on RBTs, or roadside breath tests.

They were often performed in vehicles, where police manipulated their alcometers at stop lights or between more pressing duties.

"Faking RBT figures is an absolute reality. It's widespread," the officer said.

A high-ranking police official said an internal inquiry was launched a few years ago into the practice. The findings were never made public but believed to be inconclusive.

Another police veteran with 20 years experience in the service, estimated that up to a third of the state's tests have been faked. He confirmed the practice was intended to please supervisors who were under pressure to meet quotas with limited resources.

"It's been going on for years and it's still going on," he said.

RACQ spokesman Gary Fites said his organisation relied on accurate data from police. "If police have to resort to this kind of subterfuge it would be very disappointing," he said.

"It would be distorting the data."

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
HOON69
Banned

waits for cop bashing qoutes :

dont do you job properly you lose it,short cutting to make up time
if it was a regular labours job they'd be sacked.

naughty naughty.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
20focus05
I wanna XR5

I used to be a night street cleaner many year ago and often the police would pull us over or stop where we were working and ask us to blow in the bag to make up quoters

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

one small town cop i know of had a reputation for sitting at home on a friday/saturday night watching the footy with a six pack on one side and the breathylizer on the other..... the lazy bugger got sprung eventually though
Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
one small town cop i know of had a reputation for sitting at home on a friday/saturday night watching the footy with a six pack on one side and the breathylizer on the other..... the lazy bugger got sprung eventually though

so did he give himself tickets? or just do a bunch of readings just under

Old 08-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
HOON69
Banned

So In Reality Qld could be DUI central all because of pressure placed on them,doesnt exactly mean its right but where does the blame solely lay?
officers or their superiors or both?

Quote:
The trick was done by blocking airholes on the devices with fingers or straws, which causes a negative alcohol reading.
Quote:
they lead to the integrity and honesty of our police officers
Quote:
Jim Pearce said he wasn't aware testing devices could be manipulated.

"I've never heard that before. If that is happening, it's quite alarming," he said. "It would mean there are a lot more drunk drivers out there than we think."
Quote:
A police officer with six years experience said he faked alcohol tests for two years before eventually refusing to do it any more and claimed he had witnessed "hundreds" of bogus tests.

"The quota system is purely a statistical exercise and that exercise is a stupidity," he said.
Quote:
"Faking RBT figures is an absolute reality. It's widespread," the officer said.

A high-ranking police official said an internal inquiry was launched a few years ago into the practice. The findings were never made public but believed to be inconclusive.

Another police veteran with 20 years experience in the service, estimated that up to a third of the state's tests have been faked. He confirmed the practice was intended to please supervisors who were under pressure to meet quotas with limited resources.

"It's been going on for years and it's still going on," he said.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If this happens for RBT what else are the fudging. Caugh Radar and booking more people ????
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

This is why you never accept the reading. Keep going thru all the avenues. Mind you also if your gonna drive then stay off the alcohol.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is this just so they meet a quota..or are they actually fudging the results so people that who would breathe over the limit get a negative result?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
If this happens for RBT what else are the fudging. Caugh Radar and booking more people ????
Except nothing in the article suggests coppers are duping the drivers, no false charges etc. Repeat that to yourself. They are simply doing what they have to in order to satisfy POLITICIANS who are short changing the public, and bull5hitting about it.

The finger should be pointed at the politicians, who are doing a good job of redirecting attention back to the Police. And many fools will fall for it, are you a fool? The Force is understaffed, and the public are paying for it. If we point the finger back at politicians, they will have actually do THEIR job. How would you like to do your job, and the work of 1 or 2 co-workers for the same pay you get now, and be expected to do it flawlessly, day in day out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
This is why you never accept the reading. Keep going thru all the avenues. Mind you also if your gonna drive then stay off the alcohol.
Can anyone bloody read..

No POSITIVE results are being fudged, its purely an unreal expectation of politicians to fudge public figures, you know, to look like they are doing the job of running the state well, when in reality they arent.

If positive results were being manufactured, Id be the first to demand that the police be made to answer, and charges filed, not simply loss of job, charged.

Last edited by fmc351; 08-10-2007 at 07:33 PM.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't see why they should have a quota :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will find nearly all police forces do this because of (a unreasonable quotas and b) laziness. The Vic cops got a spanking over it a few years ago when they got busted for putting the Booze Bus rego in the list ( hence earning the grief due to being stupid )
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Don't see why they should have a quota :
Purely for statistics and so they can say they are doing something about road safety to justify the "flash for cash".

This is the pollies not wallopers
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
20focus05
I wanna XR5

its a bit like the call centres, make one target then they move the posts

Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Purely for statistics and so they can say they are doing something about road safety to justify the "flash for cash".
Bit like speed cameras eh? The more they put, up the safer we are :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #16
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Bit like speed cameras eh? The more they put, up the safer we are :
The safer youre supposed to feel. Its more like watching David Copperfield, its all an illusion designed to fund the illusionist.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I have often wondered about those hand held speed guns.
I dont know exactly how they work but have been pulled over once by a cop using one.
He showed me a speed of 121k's in a 110 zone which i accepted but didn't believe i was doing.
Later on i wondered if he caught someone else doing that speed and didn't reset the gun, then just pulled over cars he recognised as belonging to young drivers.
Is that possible or am i just reading too much into it?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Can anyone bloody read..

No POSITIVE results are being fudged, its purely an unreal expectation of politicians to fudge public figures, you know, to look like they are doing the job of running the state well, when in reality they arent.

If positive results were being manufactured, Id be the first to demand that the police be made to answer, and charges filed, not simply loss of job, charged.
I was just saying in general, never accept the reading from a booze bus. Keep going through the tests if you do blow a positive reading.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The federal government subsidise the states 26c per breath test to cover the cost of the disposable straw.
This is a "profit centre" for consolidated revinue in the same way that speed cameras are in some states.
As the government has been, for many years, run by bureaucratic bean counters there has been pressure to ensure that the income is protected by overservicing that sector of enforcement.
Investigating crime is normally not profitable (except for drug money confiscation) and unfortunately when you spend your life in a really tall tower in the clouds you tend to lose sight of what is happening on the ground. It is important to note we have the best public service money can buy.....

The probable nett result from this:-
1) Subsidy dropped.
2) RBT tests reduced.
3) No difference in drink driving arrests or road toll.
4) Increase in quantity of fixed automatic speed cameras.
5) Increase in value and quantity speeding fines issued.
6) Extra staff hired in the state public service to process fines.
7) Introduction of 40 months interest free terms for pre-purchase of "6 pack" of speeding fines.

Ok, 7 was a joke (I hope) but the so are all of our state governments.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #20
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Polititicians have an ideology and an ajenda to push. And un-fortunately in the area of road safety it is the police that are expected to tow the party line. No matter how humanly impossible it is, they are carrying the can. One thing to note as well. While they are sitting in their cars fudging their breathalizer, they are not out there actually finding/catching actual criminals. All the crap that these guys put up with is robbing them of the abaility to actually do what they are paid for.

And to an earlier comment about cops faking speeding fines ?? Yes they do. If you ever drive around this country with NT plates on, you can expect it!! I have been the victim at least twice now, both times in QLD.
Old 29-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #21
NA XR6
!!

Say you get blow over the limit do you get arrested on the roadside or do you go back to the police station
How does it work if blow over the limit (arrested or do they give you a ticket)
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #22
adrianb

Honestly its nonsense having a quota on this anyhow. If the coppers are running the breath testing program with booze buses and RBTs and testing drivers and nicking the idiots who drive drunk then they are doing their job.
Old 29-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #23
BZINGA