Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Pet hate - cyclists on the road when there is a cycleway

I live in a small coastal town in the Tweed Shire and am totally annoyed by cyclists using the road.
The roads here are narrow, tend to pothole easily and there are a number of those small speed-restriction half-roundabouts.
The council has, at great expense, has put a fantastic cycleway that runs almost parallel to the road and yet the lycra wearing cyclists still use the narrow road and swerve in and out avoiding potholes and the rough edges.
geez, the road is narrow enough as it is.
Where is the common sense and how in hell are you expected to teach your kids to use the cycleway when they see these idiots using the main road?

Old 15-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Teflon Turbo
Banned

sounds like cyclists are the least of your worries
Old 15-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree absolutely. We have the same problem here. A huge cycleway along the foreshore and another parallel 2 blocks back but still the lycra clad superheros love to block the esplanade riding all over the road causing a nuisance and endangering other road users and pedestrians.

Of course the cycle loonies scream, "we have the right to use the road too" and they do provided they actually obey the road rules (for a change).

On the other hand I also have the right to drive a 4WD at 10km/h pulling a boat or caravan during peak hour or spend 20 minutes attempting to do a reverse park thereby blocking the road or any number of other antisocial obtuse selfish acts.

I just choose to have some regard for other road users...
Old 15-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Many mornings on the Causeway in Vic Park (sandgropers will know what I'm talking about here) there is usually one lone cyclist fagging up the left hand lane in peak hour, which causes a bottleneck sometimes for the entire length of the Causeway. There is a GREAT dual use cycleway right next to the causeway but nooo, this tool has to ride on the road.

It seems to be the same guy every time - if the cycleway is good enough for everyone else, what's his problem? Douche.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Totally agree - cyclists don't belong on the road.

Oo\===/oO
Old 15-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Rude

problem is they go on the walkways/cycleways and the pedestrians start complaining. Solution is ppl buy a fitness bike and stick it in front of the tv.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

Cycleways can be more dangerous, with small kids on training wheels, power-walkers with Ipods turned up and groups of elderly walking 4 abreast making things dangerous. The riders on the road are fairly aware of cars around them and trust the drivers are skilled enough to get around them, unlike the toddler on a tricycle zig-zagging his way down the cycleway.

Old 15-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude
problem is they go on the walkways/cycleways and the pedestrians start complaining. Solution is ppl buy a fitness bike and stick it in front of the tv.
That will get you to where you're travelling to in a hurry.

Old 15-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Agreed in whole. Here in Redcliffe (Nth of Bris) seems to be a mecca for bike riders on the weekend. they dont just ride 2 abreast its taking up the whole lane. Also motorbike riders taking up the whole of 2 lanes not just 1.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 15-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who cares where they ride? Just stay outta my fing way and itll be ok. Until I see rego plates on the back of their bike they dont belong on the road. So, so, so many times I wished I wasnt driving a signwritten work car.

Id also like to ad that I rode a bike as a kid and back then anyway everyone rode on the nature strip or right up close to the gutter. None of this "they can take a whole lane" crap. And when you finally pass them they dont even look embarrased, they look like they deserve it and theres something wrong with the 3km line of congested traffic behind them.

Last edited by Jack91; 15-07-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Rude

I think once upon a time you actually had to register you push bike, but now due to the amount of bikes it was just not viable to do it. So much paper work would be involved.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude
The cycleway I'm referring to is a shared pedestrian/cycleway but hardly any pedestrians use it. with the number of cyclists that don't but could use it I don't think it would be an issue here.
In some areas in Brisbane I've actually seen these pathways split with parts for bicycles and parts for walking.

Someone is fair-dinkum going to get killed around here from it. From what I understand the Council are the only ones that can control it and by then it will be too late.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Got the same problem here on Bribie Is....but what really spun me out yesterday was the two rego'd 50cc scooters tearing up the cycle path piloted by a couple old enough to know better.....probably why the cyclists chose the road...... :nutsycuck

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 15-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Um who is paying for those cycleways certainly isnt coming out of their bike rego........hang on its coming out of mine instead of fixing the _______roads.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 15-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
TX3VIL

I made a cyclist hit a parked car because i didn't giveway to him when he passed me on the outside of my lane (between the footpath and my car) and there was a car parked in that lane slightly further up He tried to pull in front of me so i gave it a bootfull. I flipped him the bird to add to the humility.

Victoria is by far the worste state for cyclists, and to rub salt in the wounds, the city's council is trying to close one of the main streets to make it a cycleway only. Hang up your lycra poofshorts cyclists, u have all got small willys anyway.

Totally unrelated, i've seen 2 scooter riders on 2 differant occasionsm fall off their vespers because they were sitting too close up my *** and i slammed on my brakes suddenly. They doth hit the tram tracks and flew over the handles. The first time was funny enough, the second time was hilarious.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Cycleways can be more dangerous, with small kids on training wheels, power-walkers with Ipods turned up and groups of elderly walking 4 abreast making things dangerous. The riders on the road are fairly aware of cars around them and trust the drivers are skilled enough to get around them, unlike the toddler on a tricycle zig-zagging his way down the cycleway.
Yeah, well, I have ridden on the one here often enough to be aware of those dangers and to be skilled enough to manage them. These guys aren't? The ONLY way around them here is to illegally cross the centreline or go into a turning lane.
Some "normal" (and sensible) people that cycle on the cycleway here use their bell to warn. I rarely do since it is up to me to give way to them.

If it was totally congested here I might agree to some extent but the fact is that here it is far from that at any time of the year. I mean, like, all they need to do is look at the danger they are creating then look left and see a perfect cycleway with nobody on it. ego prevails over common sense.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Generally the enthusiast bike rider will not ride on a bike path for a number of reasons. Generally they are not suited to race/road bikes, there is crap all over them (sticks, stones, rubbish, bat heads etc) and has been mentioned there are others pedestrian/novice bike riders using them. It would be like going to the track to race while a bunch of nanna camry drivers are dawdling around the track holding everyone up. There are are number of enthusiast cyclists on my wifes side of the family and unfortunately she recently lost her mother after being hit by a car while riding her bike in country vic. No there was no bike path there.

They are legally permitted to use the roads. Deal with it.

Edit: Some of the posts made while I was typing this are just friggin retarded. Grow a brain people.

Last edited by naddis01; 15-07-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #18
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Roadbikes going 'at speed' don't belong on 'shared' cycle / walking paths. They belong on the road, some riders will sit on 40 + kph on a flat piece of tarmac.

Those that know a little about the wheels that those things have know that they can break or be easily punctured by pot holes and all of the debris that gathers on the side of the road.

The solution ?

Don't know........ live and let live I say, there are far more important things to be concerned about.
Old 15-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #19
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simular problem here, I live on a very busy, not to mention twisty road, apart from the two lanes, theres nothing on the sides, on both sides its flanked with service streets. The kids, and casual cyclists use the service roads, but its the guys in the full gear on the racers that dangerously put themselves and others in harms way dodging traffic and generally make cars dodge them.

If you cleaned a few up, no doubt you'd be the bad guy.
Old 15-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Roadbikes going 'at speed' don't belong on 'shared' cycle / walking paths. They belong on the road, some riders will sit on 40 + kph on a flat piece of tarmac.

Those that know a little about the wheels that those things have know that they can break or be easily punctured by pot holes and all of the debris that gathers on the side of the road.

The solution ?

Don't know........ live and let live I say, there are far more important things to be concerned about.
That's the biggest load of BS I have heard when applied to around here. The cycleway is in MUCH better condition than the road! There might be some cases where it isn't and then I might agree to some extent. It only takes half a brain to actually look and see the cycleway there. THINK
If wheels weren't suitable for conditions then change them! I wouldn't drive a car with slick tyres or ultra light alloy rims on the road.
Old 15-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
LimeGlaze
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a road user who both rides and drives, apparently I can see both sides of the coin?!?

As a cyclist, I generally use roads for the following reasons:

1: They are smoother than the some councils call a cycleway (the Causeway in Perth as mentioned above is a perfect example - uneven paving, cycleway dmaged by tree roots, and sand over a cycleway are never going to encourage use)

2: They enforce my rights as a cyclist - the number of times I've been passed by a vehicle only to have to pull up while they turn in front of me is disappointing to say the least - actually being on the road tends to help them in their decision making process here.

3: It's safer than on a cycleway sometimes! Tall call, but the number of "shared" cycleways/paths is just stupid - people walking, either with or without portable music players, other cyclists, and the general flotsum and jetsum using a shared use "track" with no regard to some one else is also dissapointing (the idiot on the BMX that pulled out into my lane of traffic while talking to his mate's already two abreast, really shat himself when I yelled "MOOOVE" before slaming on the brakes to avoid a collision - funnily enough, also on the Causeway cycleway/path!)

As also pointed out above, I'd like to think I also take into account other road users in my street cycling - I keep to the left, I let vehicles move about me even though I have right of way (cos lets face it, it's sometimes safer to pull up than take the chance), and much like the towing/reversing analogy given above, I try not to make a nuisence of myself when on the road. I ride alone, so don't need to worry about taking the whole lane, and yes, it shits me too when cyclists do this - even slow moving vehicles have a legal responsibility to keep left if they can do it. This is my only real beef with cyclists on the road - you know you are slower moving than the surrounding traffic, so keep left - it's the right thing to do!

At the end of the day, this is a situation that can be resolved with common sense - how much of that is left in the world is a topic for discussion elsewhere!
Old 15-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
SVTVNM
Guzzler

There seems to be a few more cyclists making an effort to do the right thing on Beach rd lately in Melbourne ever since those idiots on the hell ride ran over the old man, still have a major dislike for them though. Even worse is that I find it in extremely bad taste when they congregate at cafe's in their lycra, there should be a dress code!!!
Old 15-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem area...

if anyone knows canberra at all, between Tuggerenong, woden, civic.. the Tuggerenong Parkway. Driving down the parkway , peak hour on a friday morning, and theres guys on bikes riding side by side, going down the parkway.... 2 lanes, packed with traffic, and they are riding side by side....
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 15-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
Jesk
certified nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeGlaze
As a road user who both rides and drives, apparently I can see both sides of the coin?!?

As a cyclist, I generally use roads for the following reasons:

1: They are smoother than the some councils call a cycleway (the Causeway in Perth as mentioned above is a perfect example - uneven paving, cycleway dmaged by tree roots, and sand over a cycleway are never going to encourage use)

2: They enforce my rights as a cyclist - the number of times I've been passed by a vehicle only to have to pull up while they turn in front of me is disappointing to say the least - actually being on the road tends to help them in their decision making process here.

3: It's safer than on a cycleway sometimes! Tall call, but the number of "shared" cycleways/paths is just stupid - people walking, either with or without portable music players, other cyclists, and the general flotsum and jetsum using a shared use "track" with no regard to some one else is also dissapointing (the idiot on the BMX that pulled out into my lane of traffic while talking to his mate's already two abreast, really shat himself when I yelled "MOOOVE" before slaming on the brakes to avoid a collision - funnily enough, also on the Causeway cycleway/path!)

As also pointed out above, I'd like to think I also take into account other road users in my street cycling - I keep to the left, I let vehicles move about me even though I have right of way (cos lets face it, it's sometimes safer to pull up than take the chance), and much like the towing/reversing analogy given above, I try not to make a nuisence of myself when on the road. I ride alone, so don't need to worry about taking the whole lane, and yes, it shits me too when cyclists do this - even slow moving vehicles have a legal responsibility to keep left if they can do it. This is my only real beef with cyclists on the road - you know you are slower moving than the surrounding traffic, so keep left - it's the right thing to do!

At the end of the day, this is a situation that can be resolved with common sense - how much of that is left in the world is a topic for discussion elsewhere!
I agree with you fully, I'm both a cyclist and a driver too (but stuffed if you'd get me in lycra!) And there are many cyclists I would love to give a big what for to, cos they give me a bad name too, I use bike lanes where at all possible, and when I cant I hang as far left as possible. I dont know how many times I've nearly been taken out by drivers cutting corners into bike lanes (not talking about buses or trucks cos they need the extra space and if i see I'm approaching a corner with one ill slow down and let them take the space). My other pet hate is cyclists going the wrong way down a one way street! that really gets my blood boiling, 1. they are idiots breaking a law 2. someone could get really badly hurt (most likely them)
Old 15-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #25
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
That's the biggest load of BS I have heard when applied to around here. The cycleway is in MUCH better condition than the road! There might be some cases where it isn't and then I might agree to some extent. It only takes half a brain to actually look and see the cycleway there. THINK
If wheels weren't suitable for conditions then change them! I wouldn't drive a car with slick tyres or ultra light alloy rims on the road.
You obviously need to read your own posts.....

Read my post again......

Road bikes can travel too fast for cycleway's especially with people walking and other traffic. THAT IS WHY CYCLISTS OFTEN RIDE 'ROAD' BIKES RIDE ON THE ROAD !!! :

Come down to the Victorian surf coast and I'll show you areas where your little theories... fail :
Old 15-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #26
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw a cyclist get hit by a car the other day (cyclists fault, didn't like the manhole cover and swerved). At first i chuckled but then i felt bad. I think there should be a 1 off fee to pay at the minimum. Don't people have to register those little mobility scooter things?
Old 15-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #27
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

There was an old guy on one of those 4 wheel buggy things powering down the main road the other day looking to get taken out, the oldies on them are as much a hazzard as cyclists. Some even fang them around on the footpath like dukes of hazzard.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 15-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #28
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out past st kilda around the mornington peninsula is horrible. I swear im gonna run down on of them one day by accident.
Old 15-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #29
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeGlaze
A

That is exactly what it is about. Common sense in the situation and location I am referring to says to use the cycleway and not the road. If someone was to get clipped by when using the road then I doubt anyone would say it was reasonable not to use the cycleway.
My nephew does "trick" BMX riding and he won't go near the road here with the tyres he uses - he uses the cycleway.
The local postlady took the registered postie scooter home one late afternoon about the same time I saw these cyclists using the road. She used the cycleway and got pulled over by the cops. The cops asked why she wasn't using the road. She replied - "this road? You're kidding!" They let her on her way.
Old 15-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #30
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1tzy
I saw a cyclist get hit by a car the other day (cyclists fault, didn't like the manhole cover and swerved). At first i chuckled but then i felt bad. I think there should be a 1 off fee to pay at the minimum. Don't people have to register those little mobility scooter things?
Manhole covers are bad juju for cyclists and motorbike riders, I can fully understand it if he wanted to avoid it.
Closed Thread