Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default A Black Maserati with Government plates spotted in Perth

On Friday I spotted a Black Maserati with Government plates driving out of Perth and onto the Freeway South.
It is understandable that the ministers and their official visitors need safe transport, but to me it looks a bit like waste of tax payers money when the Government has fancy vehicles. It also sends the wrong signal regarding (not) supporting Australian manufacturing.

Anyway, the car I spotted on Friday seems to be an approx year 2012 manufacture, so it looks like it was bougth at the top of the boom time in WA.
I guess a Holden Statesman could have been had for 1/3rd of the price.

Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: A Black Maserati with Government plates spotted in Perth

That would have got headline's somewhere day one so I am extremely sceptical. Are you sure it wasn't diplomatic plates (Italian)? Or a car supplied by Barbagallo to some celebrity etc? Western Australian government plates are the same pattern as standard issue, however the colours are inverted but you can get personalised plates with this same colours.

Last edited by aussiblue; 21-06-2015 at 11:44 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Sounds like Consular Corps/ diplomat's car

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 01:56 AM   #4
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in the back seat of a taxi that morning, and it was the taxi driver that pointed out to me that we were driving behind this Maserati with WA Government plates, so I got to have a good look at it. On each side of the licence plate it had some official Plaques, a blue one and a white one. As far as I'm aware it wasn't a private vehicle, and to me it looked like it had the WA Swan & Kangaroo logoes on these plaques exactly like I have seen on the White Holden Statesman vehicles in Perth before. I didn't write down the licence plates or pull out a camera, but I still believe what I saw was a WA Government vehicle.
OK I guess there is a 1% chance I am wrong and it could have been a Consular / diplomat's car.
Cheers,
Old 22-06-2015, 04:03 AM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

You should never believe WA taxi drivers; especially about things like this; most are recent immigrants and still trying to find there way around Perth .

The Swan and Kangaroo Logos go on Euro Plates. These are slimline plates designed to fit the standard European plate size of cars made to the EEC standard including most low volume imports from Europe like Maserati. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...s_of_Australia As I said WA Gov cars just have normal plates with reversed colours.

WA Euro Plate:

WA Government Plates:

current version at top.

The white Holden Statesman you see belong to a private taxi or small charter vehicle company and have the special plates; again these are not Government cars. see http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/taxis...e-licences.asp The earlier versions of this plate (from my Observation of the Statesmen pulling up outside the CBD hotel Plate numbers SCV - 1 to SCV 99 I think) had the logos and companies have carried them across to newer cars. The only Government car with a special logo is the Governors - Black Swan under a Crown.

Last edited by aussiblue; 22-06-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old 22-06-2015, 04:36 AM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

... or perhaps the company with the low SCV number decided to stick some logos on to fill up the blank spaces on each side of the low numbers.
Old 22-06-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a Perth taxi driver on here, Phildo, who may be able to provide info on this spotting and its origins.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
Harrison

That would be the Minister for Gina Rinehart I imagine.
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
That would be the Minister for Gina Rinehart I imagine.
could be, Anyway there was only a driver in the vehicle at the time (black suit and black driver hat) so no VIPs in it when I saw it.

Blue, thanks for pointing out the different plate types. I've been in WA for over 10 years so I'm quite familiar with the regular plates and custom plates, also the Euro and SCV plates. It wasn't any of them. It wasn't only the state symbols on the plates, it was also the state logos on the plaques at each side externally from the license plate.

The special plaques on each side of the plate were about 10x10 cm each, and physically mounted outside each side of the licence plate.

Silly that I didn't try to remember the number or secure a photo of it. Cheers
Old 22-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
I've been in WA for over 10 years so I'm quite familiar with the regular plates and custom plates, also the Euro and SCV pla
I've been here all my life and also worked in numerous State Government Department's over 40 years until I retired 18 months ago. Most Government cars are not actually owned by the State but are leased from companies like FleetWest and AllWest. Nonetheless, outside the Governor's limo to my knowledge there was never a Maserati or other exotic cars on the fleet. The current fleet policy here https://www.finance.wa.gov.au/cms/Go...uidelines.aspx also prohibits V8s - so no Maseraties allowed. Admittedly there are a large number groups exempt from these policies - see Page 28. The publicity given to Troy Buswell 's driving incident and the many pictures of his State Fleet Caprice also shows that Minister cars and plates are nothing extra special. And you will see from this report (last pages) http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/publications/tabledpapers.nsf/displaypaper/3910037a5ef7c63fd478e22748257b4f0027e6c3/$file/37.pdf. even Supreme Court judges, who have one of the most generous car provisions, are not allowed V8s and turbo cars over 3 litres etc.

While I am retired, I still unfortunately often get to see Government CEO's cars; they turn up at the funerals of my ex colleagues who worked in their Departments. No Maseraties or similar so far. Nonetheless, anything is possible so if you are convinced it was a WA State car why not email the fleet policy officer at the Department of Finance with the question. Generally there is no secret about general fleet management issues so, while for reasons of security in this terrorist conscious age, they may not be prepared to talk about an individual car, they should be able to advise if a Maserati on the fleet and what special plates with coats of arms, if any, are used.

Last edited by aussiblue; 22-06-2015 at 12:19 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Are you sure it wasn't a Maserati look-a-like? Perhaps some CEO has a Tesla S? Might be appropriate for the CEO of Synergy or an environment related agency.

Last edited by aussiblue; 22-06-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 22-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

If you are really convinced it was a WA Government plates Maserati send you story to the West's Inside Cover; I am sure they will get to the bottom of it.
Old 22-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Also see http://www.ausplates.info/WA/WA_plates.htm#Govt
Old 22-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

One of these ?

Commonwealth plate - Used on official government convoy cars during visit of foreign dignitaries.
Old 23-06-2015, 03:43 AM   #15
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Blue,
I would say it was this Commonwealth plate. Thanks for solving the mystery.
From time to time there are some official visitors / world leaders coming to WA also. Not often, but it has happend.
Anyway I'm not going any further with this, not going to contact anyone to ask.

By the way I wasn't mistaking it for a Tesla ;)
It wasn't a brand new one, as mentioned it was the Maserati body shape that ended in 2012.

Thanks for replies on this pub chat
Cheers
Old 23-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I wonder who the VIP was. Only one in town I know about was the Dahli Lama and I think he would shun such a car. In any event, I doubt it was Government owned even if Government plated; more likely on loan from Barbagello who often provides cars for visiting dignitaries albeit usually only Italian VIPs.