Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Fined for crossing railway crossing too early

Best mate was lined up at a railway crossing, with the boom gates down and lights flashing. He was the fourth car in the queue.

Boom gates go up and cars go over. Only thing is, on the other side were the police, who pulled over all 4 cars for crossing over while the red lights were still flashing. $300 fin and 3 points - thanks for coming.

I know that I do not wait until the lights stop flashing before proceeding to cross, do anyone else?

Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
MAV50L
Banned

Well technically you are disobeying a traffic signal.
Do you normally wait for the traffic lights to change to green before you take off or do you sneak in a quick slip through before they change?
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Springfield_Johny

what if another train had come & the boom gates starting closing again? I'm imagining someones head over there, torso somewhere else, a leg accross the road, only found by the trail of intestines leading to it the poor buggers who have to clean it all up & the cops who have to knock on the loved ones door to explain what happened

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

too many cars and trucks coming in contact with trains lately.
now with cane season upon us they will be keeping an eye on this sort of thing.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i actually won't cross until the lights stop flashing.. which sometimes annoys ppl behind me....but too bad for them..

i also actually come to a complete stop at stop signs...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
LTDHO
The one and only

There's a crossing in Victoria with a red light camera!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is Nunawading and from memory it is not switched on, if you waited at Nunawading until the boom gates came up fully during peak hour you would probably never leave the crossing, the trains are that frequent.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stop until the lights stop flashing .
Because few months ago a friend got fined before then i dont think i did.
It not a big deal to wait a couple more seconds now that im aware of the rule
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 cars got across before the lights stopped flashing, had the boom gate even finished coming up?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The law is, wait for the lights.
Indisputable law. If the cars behind you honk, get out and let them know the law, wish them a nice day, and remind them to drive safely.

It is clearly stated in the Learner drivers book.
"Where there are gates, booms, or flashing lights at railway level crossings, you must not cross until signals have stopped flashing and the gates or booms are fully open."

Drive safely all.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
Thankfull
Banned

Have never moved over the line, until the red lights stop flashing.....that is the Law.
To move over the line with lights still flashing....not a good idea....with a Police vehicle watching from the other side....is just asking for trouble.

Cheers
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #12
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I am one of those people that wait till the light stops flashing too. So many times I have cars honking their horns at me to go because the boom is up but too bad...I wait.

The crossing in Bayswater (VIC) on Mountain Hwy, sometimes the gates go up, one car goes through with the lights still flashing and then the gates come back down again for another train. I would rather be safe than another statistic.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'll wait till the lights stop flashing and I'll stop when they start flashing, not treat it like a yellow and try and beat the boom gates.

Train vs car? No contest.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 02:24 AM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
It is Nunawading and from memory it is not switched on, if you waited at Nunawading until the boom gates came up fully during peak hour you would probably never leave the crossing, the trains are that frequent.
I called up 3AW a few years back when they had Steve Bracks on, and asked him about this. He said it was used for monitoring the crossing, not for fining people. So there you go.

Actually a fine is a dumb thing, because if another train were to come, the bells would sound before the boomgates lower. Dont they usually stop before the gates raise? But then a point on their side is safety, there have been way too many fatal accidents at train crossings. All of which were avoidable. I remember at Springvale station one time, traffic was banked up. One car thought he would chance it. I thought that guy was an idiot. The boomgates dont stay up for long at Springvale. They didn't, bells went, gates lowered, this guy had nowhere to go either. Fortunately, the piece of track was straight and the train was able to stop and wait.
But, i still don't think fining people for proceeding after the gates are raised, but lights are flashing is the right solution. Fining people for not keeping the tracks clear would be appropriate.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
Valid8
COOGES

I remember a taxi driver in Lilydale went through the crossing a bit early and was pulled over by the police. The cop informed him of the fine and demerits he would lose and the cabby pointed out that he only had 1 point left on his licence and that because of this he would lose his income, cab, house and things were a bit strained at home so he was sure he would lose his wife. The policeman went back to his car for a few minutes and on returning just issued a warning, good on him.
Valid8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #16
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What colour are the flashing lights? (orange I assume). In NSW you are legally aloud to proceed through orange flashing lights so this will be pretty confusing for interstate people.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
What colour are the flashing lights? (orange I assume). In NSW you are legally aloud to proceed through orange flashing lights so this will be pretty confusing for interstate people.
They're red here, red means stop.

I've seen the results of what trains do to cars first hand. I always wait.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #18
kocho
The Futuriser

Good to hear so many Ford Forumers stop and wait.

Aren't they red in all states?

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #19
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I am one of those people that wait till the light stops flashing too. So many times I have cars honking their horns at me to go because the boom is up but too bad...I wait.

The crossing in Bayswater (VIC) on Mountain Hwy, sometimes the gates go up, one car goes through with the lights still flashing and then the gates come back down again for another train. I would rather be safe than another statistic.
Me too. The crossing here in Sherwood is a classic example of cars starting to move in synch with the boomgates. Odd thing is, that just down the road is one of the Transport Dept's main licence testing facilities. It does feel uncomfortable, but I put up with the honking, because it's my life on the line, not theirs.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a question...

Is it a shortcoming of our driver education that people don't undersatand the most basic of road ruless or is it just that they are not policed / enforced enough?

I don't expect that everyone would know every road rule and yes, they can change from state to state but surely EVERYONE would know that a red light is a red light...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
I have a question...

Is it a shortcoming of our driver education that people don't undersatand the most basic of road ruless or is it just that they are not policed / enforced enough?

I don't expect that everyone would know every road rule and yes, they can change from state to state but surely EVERYONE would know that a red light is a red light...
Neither IMO. It's more a case of people being impatient and having an "it will never happen to me" attitude.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #22
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

99% of the time I do wait, I was always told that you do not cross until the red lights go out.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #23
burnz
VFII SS UTE

glad we dont have any real level crossings in sydney
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #24
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The law is, wait for the lights.
Indisputable law. If the cars behind you honk, get out and let them know the law, wish them a nice day, and remind them to drive safely.
Road rage anyone?
But seriously you are right about the law. I think it is as clean cut as it gets. Surprised that 4 cars actually made it across before the bells stopped ringing.

This does not seem to be a problem here in S.A. from what I have seen anyway. We even have traffic lights at some level crossings that activate to stop traffic queuing across the tracks even if the there are no trains coming. They also work in tandem with the boom gates as well and of course never give a green signal until the boom gate signals stop. If people jumped the gun on those intersections, they would also be going through a signalled red light as well.

With or without traffic lights, this law is pretty clear in my view.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #25
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Too true. What's so hard about having some patience? People who nonchalantly tell me they drive through train crossings while the lights flash need a good kick up the ... If you can't see why you need to wait, perhaps you should join the people on the train...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #26
Joshvee
A New Convert

I regularly cross the tracks on Oats st up in Carlisle South (Perth) and I must say, we dont seem to have that problem here. Everyone seems to wait. At least at that crossing they do.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

God to see that most people are waiting for the lights to stop flashing. To be honest I don't think that I have always waited. Will do from now on.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #28
Wally
XP Coupe

Used to work in the track and signal section of railways, I wouldn't trust the automated gates and beacons to be right every time, but that's just me.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #29
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well we don't really have crossings in Sydney so giving an outsiders perspective it seems any problems could be all solved by simply changing the light phasing. Why have flashing lights at all? Why not have red light with boom gates down. Boom gate rises, lights stay red, then when boom gate fully opened light turns green. WHy have flashing? Seems it just confuses people judging by this thread.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #30
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Well we don't really have crossings in Sydney so giving an outsiders perspective it seems any problems could be all solved by simply changing the light phasing. Why have flashing lights at all? Why not have red light with boom gates down. Boom gate rises, lights stay red, then when boom gate fully opened light turns green. WHy have flashing? Seems it just confuses people judging by this thread.
Very good point.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post