Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Get ready for the Commodore smartphone app

Get ready for the Commodore smartphone app
Barry Park
July 2, 2011 - 1:00AM
Comments 1

Your smartphone could soon act as your Holden Commodore key.
Forgot your car keys? No worries, just use the phone. It's closer than you think.

An icon on your smartphone could soon replace the keys for Holden's Commodore family car.

Micky Bly, the man behind GM's Chevrolet Volt electric car program (it will arrive here as a Holden next year) says Holden's iQ infotainment system introduced to the Series II Commodore last year is the first step in the roll-out of much smarter, more user-friendly systems in GM's global vehicle range.

However, the Commodore's system is only a half step towards what will be a new class of in-car infotainment systems that will be easier to use and more in tune with what owners want.

Advertisement: Story continues below
According to Bly, we can expect to see much more integration between smartphones and cars such as the locally made Commodore range and Cruze.

"It can be [Androids], it can be iPhones, it can be Blackberrys, it can be any of the devices out there.

"What we have done by using OnStar [GM's in-vehicle security, communications, and diagnostics system] ... we've been able to take that interface and do really amazing things outside the vehicle.

"For instance, we can log on here and see my Volt. I can actually go back and see my car while I'm here in Australia — I can see it at the airport. I can tell it to start charging, or when to charge off. I can start the car, honk the horn, unlock the doors, lock the doors...

"That technology that we've started in the Volt last year has been so popular that we've actually taken that technology, and transferred it to all our cars in North America.

"So on the Chevrolet Cruze, you have all that capability except the need for charging an electric car.

"We're rolling that out in every product everywhere around the world as we get it, as it's a very powerful ability to do this in the future for technology introduction."

Owners can also log on to OnStar's website and control car functions via an internet browser.

One hiccup facing the introduction of the smartphone-friendly Commodore is the lack of a similar service to OnStar in Australia; Holden's Holden Assist system was never a hit and was slowly phased out, with service only remaining for those who took up the option.

As well as private buyers, the service was offered for fleet cars to help companies manage vehicle use and maintenance, however, the additional upfront costs involved meant it wasn't popular.

The system, which was only available on the Commodore and long-wheelbase Statesman and Caprice range, will even allow police to send a signal to a car to stop its engine if needed.

In places including the US and China, car owners subscribe to a range of OnStar telematics services that provide support such as navigation, locating a vehicle if it is stolen, helping if the car breaks down and alerting emergency services if you are involved in a crash.

Holden is again looking at resurrecting the service here once a smartphone application is developed.

"We're definitely looking at OnStar, but in terms of what the service would look like and when it could come to market we're a long way from having anything to announce," said spokeswoman Emily Perry.

Car makers are investing heavily in electronics and connectivity to ensure owners can integrate their increasingly digitised lifestyles into their car.

Ford's latest Territory SUV family wagon has a colour control screen with upgradeable software that's one day expected to house onboard apps and interactivity, including internet connectivity.

Already luxury car brands such as BMW and Mercedes-Benz allow smartphones to be tethered to the car for internet browsing through the central screen. Some even have onboard apps for things such as navigation, weather and travel information.

Integrating iPhones and iPads into cars is also the focus of many car makers looking to capitalise on the popularity and functionality of the portable devices.

Australia electric car start-up EDay - which plans to have 100 trial cars on the road by 2012 - is even planning to make the iPad the main controller for functions such as the sound system and even ventilation controls.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: Get ready for the Commodore smartphone app

I can already see how easily it'll be hacked into (the bluetooth system for the car), then the car itself stolen......
Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Yep. They said pay tv was unhackable..... look what happened there.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
krzysiek

I wouldn't be trusting my car being unlocked through the use of my phone. Any signal it might emit could be intercepted and then what? If they use some high-end encryption though, then I guess it might be okay - who knows. But technology advancement is something I always support, but the good old key hasn't failed me yet.
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

phone battery goes flat, cant get home genius. Most car companies cant get a reliable handsfree system this is funny
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
burnz
VFII SS UTE

nothing wrong tracking the movements of a fleet car..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Deco28

This has already been implemented in American cars for years. I'd say it must be fairly safe.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I like this idea. Because one day thieves wont know how to break into my "old cars"
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
I wouldn't be trusting my car being unlocked through the use of my phone. Any signal it might emit could be intercepted and then what? If they use some high-end encryption though, then I guess it might be okay - who knows. But technology advancement is something I always support, but the good old key hasn't failed me yet.
How is that any different to the keyless entry systems we use now?

Keyless signals can be intercepted and cloned now & I would say the far majority of cars sold in Australia now are fitted with these systems.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I like this idea. Because one day thieves wont know how to break into my "old cars"
hahaha they will be standing there with the laptop thinking its not reading the signals, looking at the door lock and ignition barrel saying "what you mean you got to use your hands, that like a baby's toy"
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gimmick
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
fordv8!

The bogan app!!!
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will it make you phone go slow and break down more often, but you will be happy because it is the only Australian App ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Link
Ford Nut

No key and a flat mobile battery = no car, cant call anybody and cant charge the phone lol

Wonder how thats going to go down....
Link is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post