Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Are you on the scrap heap after 40 ?

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...ac54f81042bf59
Some interesting stories in the comments section............
Old 17-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Are you on the scrap heap after 40 ?

You go on the scrap heap when you turn 18 if you work at Supermarkets or fast food

This is something we considered if we want to expand our business, there are a few good mechanics we know but they're all in their late 40s mid 50s who we are considering.

But the issue is someone who is in that age bracket isn't going to take orders nicely from a bunch of dudes in their mid 20s, they seem to get offended pretty quickly if you tell them what to do.

They probably prefer younger workers because they can be bullied easier

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 17-11-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Ah the joys of being a Truck Driver. Most Transport companies would rather employ someone over 40 due to their experience in the game.

I Recently decided to go back on the road, as retirement was getting boring and the extra cash is always handy.

Of the employers I've spoken to lately a couple have said 'well, if you've been driving interstate for 40+ years and your still alive you must be doing something right'
Old 17-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

But the issue is someone who is in that age bracket isn't going to take orders nicely from a bunch of dudes in their mid 20s, they seem to get offended pretty quickly if you tell them what to do.
Two way street Damo. Someone in the 40s,50s should just be need to told the job that needs doing and they should be able to do it to a correct standard. If they can't move them on, if they can don't look over their shoulder and tell them what to do. You employ a experienced tradesman for their experience.
Old 17-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive trains and in this industry the average age seems to be pretty damn high as well. I didn't join until I was in my forties. Plenty of guys hang on well up to and over retirement age...after all it's not like it's a physically hard job.

They're trying to attract young people...primarily women, I had a trainee who was a young woman recently...but I hear a lot of them saying they "probably won't stay in the job forever". The typical young workers "need" to always be moving on, always be looking for new "challenges"...they don't stick in the one job for decades like us older workers do.
They also seem to have a problem with the job itself...to be blunt there's an awful lot of sitting on your backside in this job. Turn up, sit and wait for your train, hop on the train, sit there in the chair for eight to ten hours, get off go home. Despite the money (and it's good) they say things like "I can't see myself doing this in five years time".

These damn young whipper-snappers just have to learn to develop a capacity for sitting on their bums and doing nothing for long periods of time...a skill us older workers come to appreciate having as the years roll on...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Two way street Damo. Someone in the 40s,50s should just be need to told the job that needs doing and they should be able to do it to a correct standard. If they can't move them on, if they can don't look over their shoulder and tell them what to do. You employ a experienced tradesman for their experience.
They can do the work, thats not the problem, its up to them how to do it.

But they seem to have a problem with wearing uniform and cleaning up after themselves, any sort of process that's not 'bobs ol time garage', say filling in time sheets, writing down what they find on job cards etc, putting guard covers on, seems to be a huge issue.

The moment you try introduce something new its the end of the world because 'I've been doing this for 30 years' etc.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im 38 and i'm on the scrap heap. I was told 2 weeks ago no to a job because of my weight, she said the company doesn't want anyone over 110kgs.
I can't get a job for the life of me, even scraping the barrel i applied for coles and bunnings and they won't employ me either.
I don't know what to do, i don't have a lot of money to go buy heaps of tickets, though i have a few.

There is another bloke here in Bunbury who has to travel to Perth everyday doing traffic control because that is all he can get, he is just over 40.

Oh well looks like i'm going to spend all day on the motorbike

Last edited by damo76; 17-11-2015 at 01:34 PM.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

That's life for ya, the older we get the stupider we get.
I don't care, so long as I'm enjoying my stupidity.
5 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I drive trains and in this industry the average age seems to be pretty damn high as well. I didn't join until I was in my forties. Plenty of guys hang on well up to and over retirement age...after all it's not like it's a physically hard job.

They're trying to attract young people...primarily women, I had a trainee who was a young woman recently...but I hear a lot of them saying they "probably won't stay in the job forever". The typical young workers "need" to always be moving on, always be looking for new "challenges"...they don't stick in the one job for decades like us older workers do.
They also seem to have a problem with the job itself...to be blunt there's an awful lot of sitting on your backside in this job. Turn up, sit and wait for your train, hop on the train, sit there in the chair for eight to ten hours, get off go home. Despite the money (and it's good) they say things like "I can't see myself doing this in five years time".

These damn young whipper-snappers just have to learn to develop a capacity for sitting on their bums and doing nothing for long periods of time...a skill us older workers come to appreciate having as the years roll on...
Need details to be employed by your company. And I'm serious.
Old 17-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
I don't know what to do
Are you 110kg because you're built like a strongman competitor, or because you're overweight? If the latter, isn't it obvious what you need to do? Just sayin...
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

But they seem to have a problem with wearing uniform and cleaning up after themselves, any sort of process that's not 'bobs ol time garage', say filling in time sheets, writing down what they find on job cards etc, putting guard covers on, seems to be a huge issue.

The moment you try introduce something new its the end of the world because 'I've been doing this for 30 years' etc.
Your house, your rules. If you lay out the ground rules from the get go, it makes it harder for them to ***** later when you try and enforce them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #12
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Are you 110kg because you're built like a strongman competitor, or because you're overweight? If the latter, isn't it obvious what you need to do? Just sayin...
Well spent most of my life working on drill rigs, 1 leg is 80cm round and arm is 47cm round, i could run a rig solo and had the strongest hands in Newman.
I have muscle and no problem labouring just put some pud on my guts but no i'm morbidly obese. Even though I can out work anyone.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #13
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im 38 and i'm on the scrap heap. I was told 2 weeks ago no to a job because of my weight, she said the company doesn't want anyone over 110kgs.I can't get a job for the life of me, even scraping the barrel i applied for coles and bunnings and they won't employ me either.
I don't know what to do, i don't have a lot of money to go buy heaps of tickets, though i have a few.

There is another bloke here in Bunbury who has to travel to Perth everyday doing traffic control because that is all he can get, he is just over 40.

Oh well looks like i'm going to spend all day on the motorbike

Under Australian Federal law you can't be sacked due to being "overweight".
Go to this WA website and file a complaint ... http://www.eoc.wa.gov.au/
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #14
XG_Falcon

I can see both sides of the argument here:
If a business is specifically looking for somebody for their physical attributes, it will almost always work out better hiring a younger person, however,
if the position is experience oriented, it will usually make more sense to hire an older person.

The only thing is - experience accrues over time whereas the physical form degrades... so as far as long term investments go, it makes more sense (in my mind) to go for the younger stock.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Under Australian Federal law you can't be sacked due to being "overweight".
Go to this WA website and file a complaint ... http://www.eoc.wa.gov.au/
He wasn't sacked because of weight, he was applying for a position...
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post
If a business is specifically looking for somebody for their physical attributes, it will almost always work out better hiring a younger person, however,
if the position is experience oriented, it will usually make more sense to hire an older person.
The problem, as I see it, is that most 'younger people' these days don't want to stay in a job for too long.

Just long enough to add it to their CV and then move on.
Old 17-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #17
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:

These are the two issues I have with 'more experienced' people in the workplace.
Old 17-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #18
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

you need to take on a next gen apprentice for moments of fu entitlements

get off your fn ph is a minor diversion

*get back to me
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #19
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Ah the joys of being a Truck Driver. Most Transport companies would rather employ someone over 40 due to their experience in the game.

I Recently decided to go back on the road, as retirement was getting boring and the extra cash is always handy.

Of the employers I've spoken to lately a couple have said 'well, if you've been driving interstate for 40+ years and your still alive you must be doing something right'
We do this looking for bus drivers too. We're very clear in our ads what we're looking for, and who the job might suit, but we constantly get idiots that aren't qualified calling up.
Or we get them out to go for a drive with us, and then find they can't drive a manual. It's getting to the point we will have to start swapping to autos. Also, we only need casuals, as there isn't enough work for full-time, and anyone younger is just going to be too hungry for $$$ to pay their bills.

Quote:
Im 38 and i'm on the scrap heap. I was told 2 weeks ago no to a job because of my weight, she said the company doesn't want anyone over 110kgs.
I know in my industry at least there is a similar rule, because the driver's seats are only rated to hold 110kg. Any more, and in the event of an accident where the seat collapses, the insurer won't cover you for injury. It's happened. I believe companies with drivers who are effected by that are being given gym memberships.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
Or we get them out to go for a drive with us, and then find they can't drive a manual. It's getting to the point we will have to start swapping to autos.
Or you find that they can only use synchro box's and not a Roadranger/Spicer
Old 18-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
you need to take on a next gen apprentice for moments of fu entitlements

get off your fn ph is a minor diversion

*get back to me
I've got a 15 year old clean up kid doing some stuff for me from time to time.

Calls it quits when I start cracking the whip

But we can mold this kid how we want him to be.

He comes in after school wearing boots and hi vis polo, its a start.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
These are the two issues I have with 'more experienced' people in the workplace.
We get some cars passed onto us from some of the older local mechanics and we've gotta wipe off their grubby finger prints when we get the car before we pass it onto the customer.

Its all small things like that, seems to be the local small workshop crew who do this stuff, people who come from dealerships would get their *** handed to them for something like that.

I used to get in **** for my shirt not being tucked in.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #23
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I knew I was on the scrap heap as soon as I realised I had become invisible to the PYT.............

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #24
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

hope not I'm 22 years a head of you..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #25
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000 View Post
He wasn't sacked because of weight, he was applying for a position...
OK, but I think the same applies and comes under the anti-discrimination legislation.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Correct. Silly thing for them to say!

There's plenty of industries that relied on aged workers because they are the ones with all the skill.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #27
matador
Banned

depending on the job applied for. Applying for an entry lvel job at age 40 says you are a drifter.

You should be somewhere up the food chain by 40 I would imagine.
matador is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matador View Post
Applying for an entry lvel job at age 40 says you are a drifter.
Or you could have......
Been retrenched due to management cutting staff.
Worked for any one of the 3 car companies currently in the process of closing.
Been in the mining industry during recent years.
Old 20-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #29
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

I'm on the scrap heap for sure.
30 years for the same company, over 35 in the industry.
Can't get any higher than supervisor.
I've had 3 pay rises in 7 years, 2 pay cuts and 2 with no movement. Had performance issues alleged against me etc... all pretty much witch hunt sort of stuff, (don't have a boss less smarter than you could be the secret). Mind you, prior to the last 7 years, an impeccable work record, almost never took a sickie ever.
I'm just over 50 years old, and all the bosses I had that actually know me have either died, retired or made redundant. I have bosses now that don't care what I've done or what I know etc.... just arrogant people, but if anyone wants to know how to do something, they come my way and I always help. If a job had to be done and you needed someone to stay until its finished or go to location to fix a machine I'd be there, always dependable, and somehow thought that this work ethic would help me climb the ladder.
How mistaken have I been.
Now the word being peddled is that "you are in control of your destiny, not anyone else", with the hidden message being "if you don't like what we let you do here you can leave".
Then they turn around and say that we treat everyone with dignity and respect, and rattle off a heap of other ideals that sound good on paper but are not being followed through, that is , unless it suits them at any random time.

If you are overweight, older than the boss / management, don't do all the corporate community volunteer stuff and not good at playing the social game, you will be overlooked.

"Oh the games people play now
Every night and every day now,
Never mean what they say now
Never say what they mean".

Excuse the rant, thanks for the vent!
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #30
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depending on peoples circumstances there are options.

Police force recruit people in their 50's, just get your BMI index under 30, once accepted just go back to eating normally.

Customs Officer?

You may have to relocate to better your chances of landing work.

Can you cook? Have a specialty dish? - Just Food Vans in general.

Part time work/study online. - Anything to do with counter-terrorism or drones. DRONE pilot courses are out there.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post