Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 AM   #1
Mikey
Typhoon Terry

Default Bloody Sporty Mazda 3's

Is it just me OR has anyone else experienced the wraith of a sporty Mazda 3 Driver??? Fargon hell, just about evrytime i jump in my car i get a bloody idiot Mazda 3 driver wanting a drag off. I mean the ZOOM ZOOM PR Vehicle is pretty good but i didnt expect it to cloud a drivers judgement on the cars truely uncapable capabilities. Please explain???

Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I work with one, well it's his other halfs car. He's more of an idiot in an excel.

Actually the current SP23 has some balls surprisingly. It easily towed a trailer carrying a fridge. The only problem he had was reversing it up the driveway without stalling (manual).

What do you drive by the way. If it's a Terry I'm surprised they think they're a match. You could just drive over them lol.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I owned an SP23 manual for 18 months, they are only average performers. They have a detuned Mazda 6 motor with lower compression to run on regular fuel and a single exhaust as opposed to the 6's duals. Whenever I tried to accelerate hard I was waiting for the power to kick in and it just ran up to the 7100rpm rev limit real quick, catches you by surprise because its so quiet. Also they do this horrible front wheel tramp thing when the driving wheels break traction, other than that it was a great highway car, did plenty of long trips with the cruise control on. Mine had leather seats and BOSE sound system which weren't bad except the leather was kind of plasticicy.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

has one last night actually except it was a mazda 3 mps quick little cars!!!
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
Jesk
certified nutter

gotta love the MPS! i would anyway
:
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVWEPN
has one last night actually except it was a mazda 3 mps quick little cars!!!
my manager has one, no way of keeping up with it.

i find its more riced excel, dihatsus, mitsu anything small and riced has to prove they are better than a falcon or commo....

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't say I have ever noticed this, though my brother-in-law owns a Mazda 3 MPS and it is one fast little car...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Ive driven a 6 MPS and a 3 MPS and they are both insane cars to drive. pretty quick and fun. Look great inside.

If I was to get a mazda, it would be an MPS or at least a luxury sport 6.

But I have never come across any mazda drivers that claim to be as cocky as you say.....YET

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No , can't say I've noticed it either, maybe it's got something to do with the 5.8 badges on my guards or the numerals "351" in the number plate.
Maybe I should do what a mate did and put 4.1 badges on his guards and have a bit of fun.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

My partner has a 19 month old SP23. I'm not a fan of bland cars, but this thing goes surprisingly well and is quite comfy. It has some squirt when you let it rev a bit too. Too much road noise for me, but she's very happy with it.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Ive driven a 6 MPS and a 3 MPS and they are both insane cars to drive. pretty quick and fun. Look great inside.

If I was to get a mazda, it would be an MPS or at least a luxury sport 6.

But I have never come across any mazda drivers that claim to be as cocky as you say.....YET
Both give the WRX a good go. I got spanked by a Mazda6 MPS once :(
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I have noticed that a lot of 3's like to take on my Jap Taxi, usually because they have no idea what it is and don't see the intercooler hiding at the front.
That being said, they are a well made car, mate who has one is very happy with it.
The only one that could rightfully be considered sporty has to be the MPS however, very quick cars.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #13
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

the mps's are a good little performer for what they are. there's a guy who owns one near carringbah and always tries to run me on my way to physio, that is until the '8 grabs 2nd and easily passes him. don't think he likes that very much. :
Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #14
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am looking at a Mazda 3 MPS for a replacement car, they look the goods, go well and have decent equipment. Was looking at an XR5 but the equipment levels aren't as much.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
Am looking at a Mazda 3 MPS for a replacement car, they look the goods, go well and have decent equipment. Was looking at an XR5 but the equipment levels aren't as much.
Plus isn't the wait on the XR5 hella long too? Haven't seen many around. Maybe 2 since they were released.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #16
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I actually agree here, maybe more so the Mazda 6 drivers. Not sure why but they all seem to think they drive something that actually has good straight line performance. Maybe its the dual pipes, maybe they actually think its a 6, maybe they think caus its reasonably responsive off idle but once you get into em they really aren’t even close to fast.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Porsche’s 944 S2 and 968 4 cylinders were 3 litre capacity with a balance shaft design licensed from Mitsubishi.

If you think that speed depends only on cylinder counts and capacity then you have a lot to learn.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #18
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Porsche’s 944 S2 and 968 4 cylinders were 3 litre capacity with a balance shaft design licensed from Mitsubishi.

If you think that speed depends only on cylinder counts and capacity then you have a lot to learn.
I’m assuming this post was somehow inspired by mine? If so, WTF does the old 968 (or even older Porsche 944 S2) engine capacity or configuration have to do with the Mazda 3 driver’s attitude that is being commented on? :
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #19
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
My partner has a 19 month old SP23. I'm not a fan of bland cars, but this thing goes surprisingly well and is quite comfy. It has some squirt when you let it rev a bit too. Too much road noise for me, but she's very happy with it.

My wife has an SP23, 2 years old, 34,000 kms, no warranty claims, no problems, (can't say the same for my F6) it's a great car.

The original Bridgestones make most of the noise ... I recently fitted Yokos and cut up some old carpet to fit the boot under the original and it's lowered the road noise considerably.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #20
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Both give the WRX a good go. I got spanked by a Mazda6 MPS once :(
never had an issue in mine, they never want to play
Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #21
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVWEPN
mazda 3 mps quick little cars!!!
A mate has one.... the little things absolutely fly. It would definitely give a STOCK XR6T a run for its money.
chich is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #22
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
A mate has one.... the little things absolutely fly. It would definitely give a STOCK XR6T a run for its money.
The MPS would arguably beat a stock XR6T when it comes to in-gear acceleration :evil3:.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #23
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I dont notice, so many dangerous drivers out there
Every second car and his dog thinks they are a hero when lining up next to mine...

3 times this year, The XC has caused accidents.
Once a clown in a commydore punted me off in the wet, tagged me in the rear quarter.
The other two times were other clowns showing off causing accidents right near me.
One just last saturday, A guy in a Toyota "Troopy" Cruiser reved and spooled up his Turbo Desiel thing... And some how slipped off the clutch plowing into the back of a VY Commy while we were at the lights waiting for the green.
This has been a regular occurance since it was painted a few years ago.

Too many Clowns, Not enough Circus's. :
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #24
Danny
GT4.

The MPS would beat a Turbo Terry. an SP23 wouldn't though...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 PM   #25
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
The MPS would beat a Turbo Terry. an SP23 wouldn't though...
WTF does a Mazda 3MPS have in common with a TT so much that you would even bother to make that comment? :
Old 11-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #26
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
WTF does a Mazda 3MPS have in common with a TT so much that you would even bother to make that comment? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
I’m assuming this post was somehow inspired by mine? If so, WTF does the old 968 (or even older Porsche 944 S2) engine capacity or configuration have to do with the Mazda 3 driver’s attitude that is being commented on? :

WTF is your problem dude? : : : : : : : : : : : : :

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:07 PM   #27
Cooper69S

yeah the Mazda3 SP23's are pretty good IMO. Back when I had the mini, one of the mini club guys bought a SP23 manual with the leather and bose stereo and all that... he brought it to one of our drags days. In the mini i fairly well kept up with him to 90kmh or so but got left behind after that. I did a 16.6 he did a 15.7 - which i reckon is pretty decent
We bought my mrs a Mazda6 manual - engine's almost the same as the sp23. I find the performance to be excellent for what it is. Its obviously no match for my v8, but so long as you keep the revs over 3k, its quite lively. Also once used it to tow a trailer load of soils-aint-soils black mulch - wasn't the slightest hint of struggling. I'd expected that being a revvy little 4cyl it wouldn't like towing but I could barely feel that there was a trailer on the back...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #28
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

IVe never seen a Mazda 6 MPS in perth on the road and i drive ALOT...ive seen about 3-4 Mazda 3 MPS though. My mate test drove one when he was loooking for a new car he said they break traction to easy they just sit there and fry the tyres.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #29
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
IVe never seen a Mazda 6 MPS in perth on the road and i drive ALOT...ive seen about 3-4 Mazda 3 MPS though. My mate test drove one when he was loooking for a new car he said they break traction to easy they just sit there and fry the tyres.
Sure he didn't have the handbrake up and dump the clutch? :
Old 11-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #30
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah Mazda3 drivers..... i had an episode this afternoon.

I was on the left lane wanting to change to the right lane. So I :-

1) indicated right
2) looked at my right side mirror
3) looked at my blind-spot

clear....(SP23 was 2-3 cars behind) so I began to change to the right lane. Then I heard a car revving its guts out, the bloody SP23 nearly ran into my right-side rear and start honking me. Better be safe than sorry I went back on the left lane while the bitc....i mean lady in the SP23 stormed off.

:/
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post