Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Ben B
Golfer

Default Driving in the USA for the first time

Hi everyone

I'll be in the USA soon and driving on the wrong side for the first time.

After 35 years of driving here in oz, the thought of driving on the other side for the first time is somewhat intimidating!

I'd appeciate any advice on surviving driving on the other side.

regards
Ben

Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B
Hi everyone

After 35 years of driving here in oz, the thought of driving on the other side for the first time is somewhat intimidating!

regards
Ben
Just remember to sit in the middle of the lane as best you can , after a couple of days it will only feel a little unnatural
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi everyone

regards
Ben
With right hand driving I found all was Ok except that roundabouts were hard to get used to....It was easy to go around the wrong way.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
XRLightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
With right hand driving I found all was Ok except that roundabouts were hard to get used to....It was easy to go around the wrong way.
They don't have roundabouts in the US do they?!?! I never saw any on my trip over....

I drove for 6 weeks over there and the only place I got confused was Houston. For me it was just a matter of remembering that I had to be in the middle of the road.

If you happen to end up in Texas and it rains, just remember to be careful. Because it doesn't rain much there, the average Texan doesn't know how to drive in the wet.

Hope you have a great trip.

We just know him as THE MANTIS

-------------

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria
Daily Drive:
2005 GU IV Patrol, 4.8l Petrol, Manual, Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Electronic Brakes and Cargo Barrier.
Toy Drive:
1968 XT Falcon Ute - Dead Stock, Original and ALWAYS Garaged
XRLightening is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

first up, we're the ones who are driving on the wrong side of the road!
second, just remember you cant turn left as you can here obviously lol. could end badly!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
daz82
In the family since 1996

Be more worried about being a pedestrian. a few times i've stepped of the curb and looked right instead of left lol.
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about changing gears with the right hand but still using the same pedal feet? How do people find that?

I am starting to freak out a bit about how well I will pilot my little Fiat Punto around Italy, and a 207 around France in a short while.

Good tip about the roundabouts - I'll pay extra attantion to that.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz82
Be more worried about being a pedestrian. a few times i've stepped of the curb and looked right instead of left lol.
that is a good point - my wife from the phillipines when she got here and myself when in the philippines had to remember that. we do not normally think when crossing the road so keep you wits about you until you are used to it
driving a left hand drive (for one day only) was not hard at all. i had the benefit of my wife directing me, so i only had to concentrate on driving not looking for roads. if possible have someone with you as much as possible to begin with, so your mind can be on driving.
i did not have any dramas with staying on the correct side of the road, but i did have some help.
actually sitting on the left and using the right hand for gear changes and needing to judge parked cars on the right felt pretty natural though.
it isn't hard, if you keep your mind on the job, you will be fine
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just remember to hug the curb when turning right instead of left. You'll be fine otherwise.
My first time driving over there was in Monterey which is south of San Fran. Picked up a hire car, sat in it for a couple of minutes familiarising myself with the controls, then just started her up and drove off. Granted, I did have the now wife sitting next to me nagging me to keep right, but all was fine. Give it a solid day and you'll be fine. If you think you'll have trouble, simply follow the car in front of you.
I heard a story about one of the other guys from the winery we worked at. When he rocked up, he grabbed one of the cars and had to drive to the other side of the highway where the rest of the winery was. He was reminded by a number of people to not forget to keep right. He started driving thinking it was easy until a car started coming straight for him in his lane! Seems he forgot to keep right after all.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

It's a funny feeling Ben as i have ben doing the same over here in Kazakhstan and you'll pick it up in a couple of weeks.

Try and get hold of a road rules book like we have in Australia and have a read up.

It doesn't take long to get used to the gear stick and indicator plus windscreen wipers being around the wrong way.

Your biggest challenge is their road rules and how they drive over there and that will be the scary part as these useless mongrels over here have no idea how to drive full stop!!

When i go home for my break the better half picks me up from the airport and i drive home and sometimes i turn the bloody wipers on instead of indicating and ours being a manual i sometimes go to wind the window down instead of changing gears much to the amusement of the better half as she thinks it's funny. :

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
What about changing gears with the right hand but still using the same pedal feet? How do people find that?

Alot easier than you think!.... Remember playing Daytona USA?? or Sega Rally? at timezone?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just remember that the left lane is the fast lane (on a multi lane highway), and look right then left when crossing traffic, instead of left then right, and all should be good.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

They do have roundabouts and I found them difficult at first, but you will be ok after a few days. I also found it was harder to judge the gap from the kerb or parked cars to the passenger side
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought "easy turn" and "Hard Turn" instead right and left.
(In Au left is easy, in USA right is easy)

After a while your brain switches over.

Interestingly when I remember the US driving now I was on the right hand side of the car !
Crazy brain !
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

During general driving in traffic it is very easy, ya just follow along with everyone else.

The biggest challenge is when no one else is around. You need to focus about what you are doing.

Also when leaving servos or carparks, stop and THINK what you are doing. these environments are the easiest to get yourself into trouble

good luck!!
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very important to remember:

If you are pulled over for whatever reason DO NOT GET OUT OF THE CAR and DO NOT TRY TO FIND YOUR LICENCE.

Just sit there with your hands on the steering wheel and wait to be told what to do.

This is not a wind up or a joke, they get rather skittish and WILL shoot you if they think you are going for a gun or whatever.

Go with the flow. Watch out for idiots in the bi-directional middle turning lane. Be extra careful on single lane roads, you will automatically go to the WRONG side when something is coming towards you.

You often have to pay for gas (petrol) before you fill up and work on a fake yank accent and the majority will have absolutely no idea what you are saying if you speak with native aussie style and speed, ESPECIALLY 1000 word per second Sydney babble.

Have fun, it is a great place.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Very important to remember:

If you are pulled over for whatever reason DO NOT GET OUT OF THE CAR and DO NOT TRY TO FIND YOUR LICENCE.

Just sit there with your hands on the steering wheel and wait to be told what to do.

This is not a wind up or a joke, they get rather skittish and WILL shoot you if they think you are going for a gun or whatever.

Have fun, it is a great place.
yeah i was thinking the same thing

i remember when i was there many moons ago and ended up being put on the ground after attempting to get out of the car

was all good once the officers realized i was from oz but i was very lucky not to have been injured for doing what at the time i thought was right

one thing you can do is when you get to the US ... go and talk to the police at the airport LAX have a big police station ( did when i was there ) in the airport they would be happy to answer any questions on the matter for you

hope you have a great time over there i so want to get back over there one day

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #18
Ben B
Golfer

Thanks everyone for all the hints....the more the better

We will be going over to las vegas in 2 weeks.......for my wife's big 50 birthday trip. We're taking our 2 sons too........

From Vegas we're driving to the Grand Canyon for a couple of nights....
then back to Vegas. Then over to Hawaii for a cruise round the Hawaiian islands......all good.....

The car we're hiring is an automatic, so that'll make life a little easier.

The problem I see with driving over there is that we drive on auto pilot out here...you dont have to think about turns...you just turn correctly...having my wife tell me what side of the road to be on will help if I drift into old habits.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #19
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
The problem I see with driving over there is that we drive on auto pilot out here...you dont have to think about turns.
that is true - see if your wife can read the map as you are travelling or get her to memorise the way so that way you can just drive. from my experience it would have been looking for streets you need to turn into, that would distract you. if you can just concentrate on the driving you should be right. if you get a manual, do not sweat - it is easy to change gear with your right hand
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Hi everyone

Ben
Actually Ben, they will tell you they drive on the right side of the road

And they are right of course.

After all we drive on the left.

Jokes aside, it is actually VERY natural.

Just think twice every time you pull out of a carpark or servo onto the road

Once you aRE ACTUALLY ON THE ROAD ITS EASY

When you get back home you will probably find - even after 35 years driving on the left - that you will occasionally hesitate when you are about to pull out of a carpark and wonder which side you should be on back home.

It happened to me for years after I spent just 3 weeks on their roads.

The mind would go "now which side do we drive again in Oz?

Its weird.

So their way must be more natural or something
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #21
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

I would add that I found turning left hard to do as i wanted to go to the left side of the road. Other than that it was fine. Get a car with sat nav if you can. stress of driving is reduced somwhat.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #22
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munroman
Actually Ben, they will tell you they drive on the right side of the road

And they are right of course.

After all we drive on the left.

Jokes aside, it is actually VERY natural.

Just think twice every time you pull out of a carpark or servo onto the road

Once you aRE ACTUALLY ON THE ROAD ITS EASY

When you get back home you will probably find - even after 35 years driving on the left - that you will occasionally hesitate when you are about to pull out of a carpark and wonder which side you should be on back home.

It happened to me for years after I spent just 3 weeks on their roads.

The mind would go "now which side do we drive again in Oz?

Its weird.

So their way must be more natural or something
We originated from England and they drive the same way we do.

So We're correct.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #23
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know its not driving related, but make sure you tip while your there they expect it lol
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #24
blk_frmnt
ẶЦ ╒ǻІґмΩאַâ€*

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthxr6t
i sometimes go to wind the window down instead of changing gears much to the amusement of the better half as she thinks it's funny. :
Haha everytime i switch over i find myself bashing my hand into the door reaching the wrong way for the gearstick...
blk_frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #25
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
i know its not driving related, but make sure you tip while your there they expect it lol
i know it subsidises their pay but this does is just weird , i reckon
Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #26
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its not wierd, some people get no pay bar the tips, some people even pay to work in high class establishments due to the size of the tips. They have a huge amount of people to employ and this is one way to deal with it.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 PM   #27
nitroman
nitroman

Driving over there feels weird and back to front for a while because you are so used to the way we drive on the left in the right of the car. Look where the traffic is heading before you move and remember RIGHT LANE all the time. After a week or so it's a breeze. Geez they have nice roads over there. Have fun and don't get booked, the cops are total aarsehols!
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #28
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We should get a sweep going to see how many times he goes to get in the passenger seat and then realises he should be on the other side of the car to drive it.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #29
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
We should get a sweep going to see how many times he goes to get in the passenger seat and then realises he should be on the other side of the car to drive it.

and how many times he indicates with his wipers! DOH!! :
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #30
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

A mate of mine lived in Miami for about 18 months. Three or four weeks in, he was foolish enough to drive down a 'emergency' vehicle lane, which was witnessed by the highway patrol. They pulled him over - he was directed to remain in the vehicle over the loud speaker. Silly bugger was all flustered and got out of the car.

Two coppers instantly had pistols drawn, approached him - he's nearly crapped himself, hands in the air standing motionless, blabbering about his desire not to get SHOT. One of the officers holsters their firearm, removes TASER and gives him a tap in the chest................

He reckons at this point he actually did stain his pants. And later needed medical attention.

All this in front of his Aussy girlfriend, who also jumped out of the car for fear they'd killed him. Thankfuly, officers at this stage realised both had an Aussy accent - and just made her spread eagle on the road face down, and let the taser cool down.

Those boys are mighty serious about their compliance over there.

Plus, the drive down the emergency lane cost him some serious coin. From memory it was in the 1000's

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post