Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2016, 12:43 AM   #1
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Default New FGX XR6 XR8 Sprint Wheel alignments

Anybody who just bought a new XR or Sprint should be asking their dealer for a wheel alignment check within the first 500KM.

This statement is based on my own experience from buying both the XR6 and XR8 new in the last 3 months and finding out that all is not well in the wheel alignment department.

Both vehicles wheels were found to be significantly out of alignment (3 - 6mm) on both the front and rear. The two vehicles were from different dealers and different build months.

The comment from my Service Advisor after the XR8 alignment was completed at 160KM - "Mate, if you hadn't had that done, your front tyres would have scrubbed out in no time".

I'm sure that the correct alignments are being set up in the factory but as things settle in over time with the vehicle being a few months old when purchased or the vehicle is driven on some less than perfect roads, the settings seem to be changing from what they should be.

Anybody else have the same happen to them?

P.S.
Don't rely on the pre-delivery inspection for any level of detail such as wheel alignment. I got copies of mine and it's just a tick the box exercise which in many cases is being carried out when the dealership received the car several months before you bought it.
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 12:47 AM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Re: New FGX XR6 XR8 Sprint Wheel alignments

What made you have a wheel alignment so early?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Redm

15000km on mine, no uneven wear other than the back tyres are more worn than the front

Not sure what's going on there
Redm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
EWT

Getting a good wheel alignment ain't easy on the Ford's.
If you find someone reputable, stick with them.
I still have me original Dunlops with nearly 60,000k's on my G6ET. Rears replaced a few weeks ago. From what I'm told, a bit of a record for a turbo,lol.
I'll be taking the Sprint to have the fronts either shimmed or a camber kit installed asap.
The rears I'm lead to believe have camber adjustment same as the R-spec suspension, so all told, as quickly as I can, it will be getting done.
EWT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

The reason for the wheel alignment check so early in the life of the cars was that my XR6 was originally fitted with 18 inch wheels but I changed them for the 19 turbo Ford wheels. This was my motivation to get it done as I always think that new rubber and wheel alignments go hand in hand.

With such big adjustments required for the XR6, I asked the dealership to include the wheel alignment as part of the deal with the XR8 when I bought it. Glad I did because it was more out than the XR6 was.
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Funny you should mention wheel alignment.

Picked up new car yesterday and it has optioned 20" rims on it.

I thought that I'd get wheel alignment checked just in case.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I would be checking if they did the wheel alignment properly. The Sprints had unique wheel alignment specs and there is no way that those specs would be in the wheel alignment machine yet as they don't get updated for months. There's a good chance they have put the standard XR in and set it to that. Would explain why its so far out. Most of the mechanics there wouldn't even know there is a difference.

Last edited by Windsor220; 10-06-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redm View Post
15000km on mine, no uneven wear other than the back tyres are more worn than the front

Not sure what's going on there
Amazed you have stood them that long. Mine were useless by 2000km and I could put up with no longer around 8000km and changed them despite there being plenty of tread left.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #9
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the old sprints were the same with lots of camber(needed a camber kit), you cannot have both race car handling and even tyre wear.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
Tezza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think this is just isolated to the sprints / Falcons.

My last two Territory's (sz & szll) were both out of alignment from the factory. I learnt the hard way with the sz, however got the szll done after 3,000kms and it was out by a fair way.

I think they are just roughly aligned from new.
Tezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I've never had a wheel alignment on my XR50. I got 55K out of the originals and the current Kumho's are wearing well too.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
Redm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Amazed you have stood them that long. Mine were useless by 2000km and I could put up with no longer around 8000km and changed them despite there being plenty of tread left.
This is my first HP car so havin a bit fun getting used to things. Won't be long before I will need some new tyres on the back so when that time comes I'll change all 4.

Not sure with what yet, plenty of recommendations on this forum but.
Redm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #13
sierra63
Club Moderator

Does someone have the details of the Sprint XR6 and XR8 wheel alignments, and how are they different to the FG-X ??
Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #14
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

FGX Sprint Specific W/A Specs below...

FGX Sprint Wheel Alignment.pdf
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2016, 01:11 AM   #15
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I've never had a wheel alignment on my XR50. I got 55K out of the originals and the current Kumho's are wearing well too.
Seriously.... Do you ever take a corner or touch the throttle or brakes?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:12 AM   #16
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redm View Post
This is my first HP car so havin a bit fun getting used to things. Won't be long before I will need some new tyres on the back so when that time comes I'll change all 4.

Not sure with what yet, plenty of recommendations on this forum but.
In some ways despite tread depth more fun/speed/handling comes from changing the front before the rears, as once the shoulders are gone from the fronts they are a lead tipped sled snow plough.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I get a lot of k's out of my tyres. My R32, I sold the car at 75k on its original tyres. Still plenty of tread left. My previous car I bought 2nd hand at 25k and sold at just shy of 100k. Rears had been changed, only because one had a puncture in the sidewall so threw on a pair (tyre place only had 2 otherwise I would have done 4).

Done 7k on my current XR8. No signs of uneven wear and look as good as new.

I guess spending so much time in Sydney traffic helps tyre longevity.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #18
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
I hammer it everywhere! I just keep the pressures up and rotate every 15K. Tyres were very shagged at 55K though.

I must say though, I don't go as fast as what I did in my WRX. 1 the XR50 is slower and 2 I don't feel as confident hammering through corners especially in the wet. I still drive my mrs WRX hard though

Check out my link below for some vids of my old car.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:43 PM   #19
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you want race car cornering, you get huge camber and then uneven wear. Its how it is. Straighten up the wheels, and you lose some of the cornering. But if you only drive on highways cornering is useless i guess so you may as well change it to have less wear.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2016, 04:06 AM   #20
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I hammer it everywhere! I just keep the pressures up and rotate every 15K. Tyres were very shagged at 55K though.
Wow, I smile if I can get 10,000 km out of a set of tyres, rears in particular and I'm a moderate driver.

Not that I can rotate mine.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #21
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Wow, I smile if I can get 10,000 km out of a set of tyres, rears in particular and I'm a moderate driver.

what car and tyres is that?
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #22
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:

That's nuts if that's only on road use. Is the whole surface worn or just one edge?
Old 13-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #23
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
what car and tyres is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly
That's nuts if that's only on road use. Is the whole surface worn or just one edge?
I have a number of brands on various cars but the important ones fitted to my daily drivers are as below.

Most of my cars do urban driving but all at some stage will get driven back home over some terrible roads out in the far north west of NSW.

All tyres are 20 inch excluding the BMW which is 18.

Rears wear even across the tread pattern and my only saving grace is as daily drivers the cars only travels between 2 to 5,000km a year max which means they don't get replaced very often.

For example I had the Yokohamas fitted to the C63 on the day I bought it and they are now shot at just over 10,000km after close to 6 years of ownership.

I'll replace them with the same as 10,000km for a set of rears on a C63 is considered very good as many owners get much less.

My Commodores at most reach on average about 3,000km per year and I’d get about 3 years out of a set of rears.

Pirelli P Zeros have been my tyre of choice for a long time and they have never offered me much when it comes to tyre life but they more than make up for it in other areas as they stick to the road like the …. to a blanket.

All the cars apart from the BMW have aftermarket coilovers fitted.

I don’t have a problem with the fronts as most would exceed their use by date long before they wear out.

I don’t drive my cars particularly hard but when the rears torque up, well what can you do.

My daily drives:

Continental Contisport Contact 5P – 275/30R20
Fitted to my new VF2 Commodore to replace the unused OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (OEM’s 275/30R20 stored with rims)
Wear unknown

Pirelli P Zero – 285/30R20 & 295/30R20
OEM fitted to my C63 and fitted aftermarket to all my Commodores & HSV’s for about the last 10 years excluding the new VF2 which I’m currently trialling the Contisport.
Rears worn on my Commodores by 8 to 10,000 km

Yokohama Advan Sport – 285/25R20
Fitted to my C63 to replace the unused Pirelli P Zeros (OEM’s 255/35R18 stored with rims)
Rears worn at 10,000km

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A – 245/35R18
OEM fitted to my BMW 135i
Rears worn at 16,000km
Old 18-06-2016, 02:00 AM   #24
FGX TURBO

Quote:
I have a number of brands on various cars but the important ones fitted to my daily drivers are as below.

Most of my cars do urban driving but all at some stage will get driven back home over some terrible roads out in the far north west of NSW.

All tyres are 20 inch excluding the BMW which is 18.

Rears wear even across the tread pattern and my only saving grace is as daily drivers the cars only travels between 2 to 5,000km a year max which means they don't get replaced very often.

For example I had the Yokohamas fitted to the C63 on the day I bought it and they are now shot at just over 10,000km after close to 6 years of ownership.

I'll replace them with the same as 10,000km for a set of rears on a C63 is considered very good as many owners get much less.

My Commodores at most reach on average about 3,000km per year and I’d get about 3 years out of a set of rears.

Pirelli P Zeros have been my tyre of choice for a long time and they have never offered me much when it comes to tyre life but they more than make up for it in other areas as they stick to the road like the …. to a blanket.

All the cars apart from the BMW have aftermarket coilovers fitted.

I don’t have a problem with the fronts as most would exceed their use by date long before they wear out.

I don’t drive my cars particularly hard but when the rears torque up, well what can you do.

My daily drives:

Continental Contisport Contact 5P – 275/30R20
Fitted to my new VF2 Commodore to replace the unused OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (OEM’s 275/30R20 stored with rims)
Wear unknown

Pirelli P Zero – 285/30R20 & 295/30R20
OEM fitted to my C63 and fitted aftermarket to all my Commodores & HSV’s for about the last 10 years excluding the new VF2 which I’m currently trialling the Contisport.
Rears worn on my Commodores by 8 to 10,000 km

Yokohama Advan Sport – 285/25R20
Fitted to my C63 to replace the unused Pirelli P Zeros (OEM’s 255/35R18 stored with rims)
Rears worn at 10,000km

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A – 245/35R18
OEM fitted to my BMW 135i
Rears worn at 16,000km
Well somebody doesn't mind spending some doe
FGX TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 02:18 AM   #25
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

10000ks. Lugshury, we have to get up 1/2 hour before we went to bed.....

If i see 3 - 4ks from a set of rears I am happy, maybe 10-15 out of fronts. Go through at least 3-4 rears to each front.

I wear my tyres out well and truly before the edge wear of alignment is an issue.

But a good wheel align can really extend the life of tyres, especially on the front.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2016, 02:35 AM   #26
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

I assume that the low Ks is because of tyres that just can't handle a nicely modified Ford?
Damned tyre manufacturers, when will they ever learn!
Old 19-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #27
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX TURBO View Post
Well somebody doesn't mind spending some doe
More a story of somebody who can’t bear to sell cars and I'm retired and can't take the money with me.

The 135i coupe was my wife’s daily drive before her BMW X4 and the little money I was offered when I went to sell it was ridiculous for such a nice car with only 30,000k and in immaculate condition so I decided to keep it in my shed for my children instead of giving it away.

The same will go for the C63, my new one arrives at the end of the year but I love the look of the one I have and as there will probably be no more N/A 6.2 litre AMG V8’s I’ve decided to keep it as well.

The only cars I’ve sold in recent years was the Calais I chose for my wife which she hated and caused me a world of misery before she decided she wanted the 135i, I’ve also sold a VE Ute this year as I already have three other models of Ute and didn’t need it and I had a an entry level BMW and a Merc that I bought for two of my children that they no longer needed and early this month I traded them as part payment for my new C63. The X4 will also be traded when my wife decides on a replacement for it.

Since 1977 anything I‘ve bought for myself that I really liked I’ve kept and stored with the odd regret for a few that got away.

There’s no money in selling cars you purchased new so if they’re worth having, keep them if you can.

And with my cars, soft tyres equals short life.
Old 19-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #28
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
10000ks. Lugshury, we have to get up 1/2 hour before we went to bed.....

If i see 3 - 4ks from a set of rears I am happy, maybe 10-15 out of fronts. Go through at least 3-4 rears to each front.

I wear my tyres out well and truly before the edge wear of alignment is an issue.

But a good wheel align can really extend the life of tyres, especially on the front.
Wow, I'd hate to see your driving style.

Even with semi slicks that were used for road and street sprints on my WRX, I still got around 20K out of them.

You obviously have deeper pockets than me to be able to buy new tyres every 3 to 4000 ks. I would be spewing if I only got that mileage.
Old 20-06-2016, 01:19 AM   #29
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I have many cars like Express so I dont change them that often. But when I drive my F6, I really like to DRIVE it.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2016, 01:31 AM   #30
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Does anyone know if there's a thread running on AFF relating to the combined buying power of the members for tyres and other car related equipment?

More to the point, are there any tyre sellers, accessories outlets , spare parts shops , service centres, body shops, etc. that offer substantial discounts to AFF members?