Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Jeremy Does It Again !!!

Scores of viewers have complained after Jeremy Clarkson made a joke on Top Gear about the German invasion of Poland that triggered World War II.

The controversial presenter filmed a spoof advert for the Volkswagen Scirocco TDI, broadcast on Sunday night’s show, which was watched by 6.7million viewers.

The clip showed people in Warsaw panicking and rushing to board trains and buses as a mass exodus gripped the city.

It ended with the tag line: ‘Volkswagen Scirocco TDI. Berlin to Warsaw in one tank.’

The reference to Adolf Hitler’s invasion of Poland angered some viewers who complained to the BBC, media regulator Ofcom and via online message boards.

The clip has also been posted on video sharing website YouTube, prompting a furious debate about whether it was disrespectful or simply a harmless joke.

Some accused Clarkson of being xenophobic with one angry viewer accusing him of supporting the far right. Others viewed the advert as a bit of fun.

One blogger wrote: ‘The video was made as a joke and it was funny. Success. Some people are simply devoid of a sense of humour. God help the rest of us’

Another said: ‘In an age when we have to run scared of legally imposed Political Correctness - Jezzer says it for us. First time I've laughed at or even paid attention to an advert in years.'

Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpcOQ7HaB98
Old 05-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Is pretty harmless.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Sprint347
Tickford

More people helping out with free publicity for the show.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Very clever.. Some people should get a life !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Yes, I was wondering what ad mr Clarkson would finally come up with on that episode.

But man, 70 years and the wounds still haven't healed. Makes you wonder why they are even buying German, Italian or Japanese cars at all.

I wonder if Ford and Holden should start advertising themselves as 'Allied' brands vs those damn 'Axis' things..... (and shudup about the Focus and Fiesta would you!)

Lukeyson
Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
zx10

Maybe they should get a life and leave the guy alone. Send them the Chasers and Kyle Sandilands. That would give them something to complain about.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Having been to Warsaw twice and seeing how it is was all but levelled by the Germans, I can see how some can take offence.

I guess everyone here sees the humour as it didn't cost their loved ones lives.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
zx10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Having been to Warsaw twice and seeing how it is was all but levelled by the Germans, I can see how some can take offence.

Good point.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:

Brilliant point.
I can see how the polish would be offended and I empathise; but dammit as a massive fan I guess I'm sworn to protect the policies of jeremy clarkson and all of his political incorrectness.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:

My family on my mothers side is European, Dutch to be precise. None of them are precious about the war.

I can see how some can take offence but the majority that will are the professional complainers.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
My family on my mothers side is European, Dutch to be precise. None of them are precious about the war.

I can see how some can take offence but the majority that will are the professional complainers.
Well he is deliberately rebel rousing as the old adage goes any publicity is good publicity

He has done it before in the past when talking about sat navs in German cars. He quipped that the car would go to Poland. That also caused a fuss.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeh, and the poms should still hate the Italians, did you see what Julius Caeser did in 55BC.

Some people go through their whole lives just looking for things to offend them.

You do realise that you are driving a car that was built by a company that was fervent Nazi supporter and was actually was awarded a medal for owners contribution to Hitler and anti semitic policies.

Oh how could you...... I am so offend that you own this holocost supporting FORD, think of all the horror.....

Um, ok, changed my mind......think I will have a life now instead of being a professional offendee.

http://reformed-theology.org/html/bo...chapter_06.htm
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

That was hilarious. I think some people might be a tad to sensitive if they were offended by that. I can't see it ever being broadcasted, but whenever you think of a diesil VW your gonna think that the war would have ended quite differently if the nazi's had the Scirocco
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A little over the top Flappist as only you can..........

Myself, I am not offended per se, but see how this is construed as offensive

It doesnt involve Aussies so you dont care too much

How about anything making humourous inferences about our beloved ANZACs? Where does that fit in your rhetoric?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A little over the top Flappist as only you can..........

Myself, I am not offended per se, but see how this is construed as offensive

It doesnt involve Aussies so you dont care too much

How about anything making humourous inferences about our beloved ANZACs? Where does that fit in your rhetoric?
You mean like the paul hogan, D-generation and comedy company sketches over the years shown ANZACS buying kebabs from a Turkish food stall at lunch break during the invasion or landing at the wrong beach (bondi) etc etc.

I laughed at all of them and still would...

Wars are very serious things and are never lampooned like Hogans Heroes or F Troop.......
Old 05-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Don't mention the war!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #18
Wally
XP Coupe

I wonder if Philip wrote in to complain:

"Dear BBC, .....

.............. What a waste of taxpayer's money! Philip Harley, Adelaide"
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #19
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Go Basil!

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You mean like the paul hogan, D-generation and comedy company sketches over the years shown ANZACS buying kebabs from a Turkish food stall at lunch break during the invasion or landing at the wrong beach (bondi) etc etc.

I laughed at all of them and still would...

Wars are very serious things and are never lampooned like Hogans Heroes or F Troop.......
God I love it when commonsense is used in such a way so that it actually should make the "offendees" take a bit of notice. (the people who complained about the ad, not you gcg)

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
PimpMyHubcap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
Bent8
Long live the GT !

The viewers have every right to complain....just as Clarkson has every right to express his views.

It's good to see we still have some free speech in this world!

I like Clarkson's style, in your face and straight to the point.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #22
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I think that the English and especially Aussies can't comprehend the attrocities that were committed by the German's in the name of their 'Superiority' in 1939 - 1945, in Poland and eastern Europe.

eg: In the Warsaw uprising of 1944 where the population 'rose' to free themselves as the Germans were beginning their retreat through Poland into the 'Reich' up to 200,000 YES 200,000 civilians were killing by the German's including murders by Death squads.

In fact from memory I think 5 million poles died in WW2.

I can see why this issue is not considered humorous by those who have living memories of these times, or how have relatives that have / had experiences there. Or who remember those that died during those years.

I don't see any commerials making fun of Aussie POW's doing the death march in Burma. Can you imagine the flak if a Mazda commercial went down that path ?
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
I think that the English and especially Aussies can't comprehend the attrocities that were committed by the German's in the name of their 'Superiority' in 1939 - 1945, in Poland and eastern Europe.

eg: In the Warsaw uprising of 1944 where the population 'rose' to free themselves as the Germans were beginning their retreat through Poland into the 'Reich' up to 200,000 YES 200,000 civilians were killing by the German's including murders by Death squads.

In fact from memory I think 5 million poles died in WW2.

I can see why this issue is not considered humorous by those who have living memories of these times, or how have relatives that have / had experiences there. Or who remember those that died during those years.

I don't see any commerials making fun of Aussie POW's doing the death march in Burma. Can you imagine the flak if a Mazda commercial went down that path ?
In modern history only one country and government has actually succeeded in genecide, that is the complete annihilation of a race of people.

Guess who?

Here is a clue, the people used to live in Tasmania.

And in that I personally knew people who were "legal" slaves in Australia when they were young and one who was a licensed Aborigine hunter (as in killed them not captured them), I think that maybe you should do a bit more research on Australian history before making such sweeping statements.
Looking up WW2 civilian deaths might enlighten you as well. Germany was not the gold medal winner there nor in fact the silver......
Old 05-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #24
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I think the people that complained about the advert should get a life :
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #25
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
In modern history only one country and government has actually succeeded in genecide, that is the complete annihilation of a race of people.

Guess who?

Here is a clue, the people used to live in Tasmania.

And in that I personally knew people who were "legal" slaves in Australia when they were young and one who was a licensed Aborigine hunter (as in killed them not captured them), I think that maybe you should do a bit more research on Australian history before making such sweeping statements.
Looking up WW2 civilian deaths might enlighten you as well. Germany was not the gold medal winner there nor in fact the silver......
So there is a commercial of what car make / brand that makes fun of that ?

I haven't seen it.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #26
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was another version Jeremy did in the segment - to make their own ad for the VW - where a man was sitting in hospital with (fake of course) blood gushing from where his arm was talking about how he ran out of fuel and got out on the motorway and got hit by a truck. The other guy then says how it won't happen to him because he's got the new VW Scirocco diesel that does 55 MPG.

Then there's the "remake" of the old 1970's Golf GTi commercial
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #27
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Yeh, and the poms should still hate the Italians, did you see what Julius Caeser did in 55BC.

Some people go through their whole lives just looking for things to offend them.

You do realise that you are driving a car that was built by a company that was fervent Nazi supporter and was actually was awarded a medal for owners contribution to Hitler and anti semitic policies.

Oh how could you...... I am so offend that you own this holocost supporting FORD, think of all the horror.....

Um, ok, changed my mind......think I will have a life now instead of being a professional offendee.

I certainly did.

/can of worms
Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #28
bingoTE50
Steve

No winners in wars......I have spoke to a Boer war / WW1 Light horseman at school,his comments were 'he did not want to glorify war" ,as eager 14yr olds we were more interested in the adventure than the brutality. My wifes Grandfather was a Changi pow ,who had nightmares every night until he died , and my Grandfather was German.
I don't have a problem with the humour that circulates about them .
Mash ,Dads Army- my Grandfathers favourite show,Fawlty Towers -the germans a classic episode. People just have to settle and judge it for what it is....
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #29
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Your comparisons are childish and stupid. They are easy to make because this particular example means nothing to you.

It also seems that you are 'bullying' your argument 'through' by using the old 'professional offenders' line......

That's it 'attack the people' that may be offended.....that's awesome !

The fact is some people are offended, live with it and acknowledge that that is possible. A measure of a persons maturity and adulthood is the ability to appreciate that others are different, and to give them the respect they deserve. ie:not try to make what is important to them trivial and stupid.

Did Clarkson do the 'skit' to offend 'survivors' ? I don't think so...

I think he loves to 'hang it' on the Germans. Does he know all the facts of the attrocities etc in WWII ? Probably not.

Do I like Clarkson ? I think he's great.

Am I offended ? No.

Would my Grandfather ? Probably, his family (therefore mine) were shot (executed) in Warsaw in September 1944.

I think it is inappropriate to make fun of tragedies that are still living memories and that are not ancient history, especially if someone watching may have been there.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #30
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
There was another version Jeremy did in the segment - to make their own ad for the VW - where a man was sitting in hospital with (fake of course) blood gushing from where his arm was
I nearly rolled off the lounge laughing when I saw that

Hey Flap, where was that link to 'satire' you posted? I think it needs to be posted here again so calm can be restored.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post