Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cops need high performance vehicles!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...ce-budget-axe/

Just saw this...... Cops are complaining about there cars not being powerful enough...... and by getting slower cars many lives wil be lost! Wat a load of BS.... Its a pretty good idea if ya ask me...

Thoughts anyone?

Old 25-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

The faster the cop cars get the faster their going to have to keep getting when young people and or hoons buy their cars when they sell them after their used period (forgot what they call this for the life of me)
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 25-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Police Minister Rob Johnson said at the time that he believed there was "room for efficiency improvements in the number of non-operational police vehicles" and that the cuts would not affect frontline policing. Union president Russell Armstrong said yesterday that he could understand why police were considering the cost-cutting measure because it was the only way they could achieve the 10 per cent target without culling dozens of vehicles.

"How can this Government demand that police crackdown on hoons and reduce the road toll, then demand fleet cuts which will not allow our officers to be properly equipped to do their jobs," he said.

"The XR6s and the SV6s are the best six-cylinder vehicles available for traffic police and to have officers driving around in family sedans would be deplorable."

Shadow police minister Margaret Quirk said that if the vehicle changeover went ahead, it could put lives at risk.

"Once word gets out to hoons, this will only encourage them to use speed to avoid apprehension by police," she said.
Absolutely spot on.
This is a rubbish policy dreamt up by morons. How the hell are they goint to catch hoons, let alone act as a deterrent with XT's and Omegas; soon to be the 3.0l SIDI?

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 25-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

bah.... cops need to worry about way more than getting BOOSTED cars again...

I'm pretty sure when people peformance tune their car, the last thing they're thinking about is doing a "Grand Theft Auto" style pursuit, and outrunning the cops...

A police issue GTR Skyline would sort out all the dreamers... it handles, its quick.... and most things on the road would be swallowed up by it...

Just need to train their officers..... they could have the best car in the world at their disposal, but the clowns wearing the hats and badges need to know how to drive it!!

hahahaha
Old 25-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
bah.... cops need to worry about way more than getting BOOSTED cars again...

I'm pretty sure when people peformance tune their car, the last thing they're thinking about is doing a "Grand Theft Auto" style pursuit, and outrunning the cops...

A police issue GTR Skyline would sort out all the dreamers... it handles, its quick.... and most things on the road would be swallowed up by it...

Just need to train their officers..... they could have the best car in the world at their disposal, but the clowns wearing the hats and badges need to know how to drive it!!

hahahaha
The same could be said for the absolute vapid and vacuous morons who try to evade the police.
I think you'll also find that alot of police actually have more skill driving than a hoon, the police actually have to pass a driving course as opposed to a hoon whose experience is playing GTA on playstation.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 25-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how many high speed pursuits do we see in Australia, I would imagine not many compared to say the USA or Germany with its sections of unlimited speed limit roads (autobahn anybody)

all out speed is seldom used in this country to catch wanted people, other safer methods are used for the most part.

I remember when the WRXes hit Australia there was a police outcry that they couldn't catch these vehicles with their falcodoor squaddies so they had WRXes for a while, and then they went back to the falcodoors.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 25-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
colossus
Secret Sleuth

This is bad news - how else will I procure XR6 Turbos and VE SS's for peanuts from auction? Bah!
Old 25-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think high speed pursuits should be stopped... How is 5 high powered cop cars chasing a single hoon safe? ALL cars doing 180km/h.... In a situation like that the cops are just as bad as the hoon. It would be better to spend money on some sort of high tech camera installed on the car to get the plates and detain them later... Much safer if you ask me....
Old 25-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

If I remember correctly they went back to Falcons and Commodores over the WRX's due to not having enough space in the cab after all the gear was fitted.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
Old 25-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
This is bad news - how else will I procure XR6 Turbos and VE SS's for peanuts from auction? Bah!
It's in WA mate, not NSW so I'd suggest your plan is safe.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 25-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Hemicuda
IH8TOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Absolutely spot on.
This is a rubbish policy dreamt up by morons. How the hell are they goint to catch hoons, let alone act as a deterrent with XT's and Omegas; soon to be the 3.0l SIDI?

With that logic, then why aren't motorcycle traffic duty police on R1's or Ninja's?
Old 25-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
Teflon Turbo
Banned

maybe high performance cars for the jacks is a tool to get more people to become cops.

just a thought
Old 25-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

The mind boggles at the thought process behind some of the posts in this thread.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 25-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Give them all Hyundai Excels most people will stop when they see the flashing lights, and call in the super dooper pursuit special car for those that dont
Old 25-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the fast tough looking XRT's and SS's are just marketing tools to get more people to want to be cops, Any XT or Omega can get up to what pursuit speeds are these days but it's the acceleration they need.

that and nobodys gonna try and race an XT or Omega at the lights lol
Old 25-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
The same could be said for the absolute vapid and vacuous morons who try to evade the police.
I think you'll also find that alot of police actually have more skill driving than a hoon, the police actually have to pass a driving course as opposed to a hoon whose experience is playing GTA on playstation.
Agreed....

Though the hoons are supposed to have passed a driving test too...
Its called a license test....
Old 25-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
The mind boggles at the thought process behind some of the posts in this thread.
: : : : sleep: used: : : :
Old 25-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Radios go 186,282 miles per second, even fully sick skylines can't do that.

Let them run and then wander round later to their house and speak to them nicely or if it is a major crime helicoptors work very well.

Runners will run regardless of what is chasing them and will continue to run while they are being chased. Stop chasing, they stop running and then get caught a little later.

I am sure all these things get concidered when vehicle types are being chosen....
Old 25-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #19
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicuda
With that logic, then why aren't motorcycle traffic duty police on R1's or Ninja's?
Erm, maybe because most motorcycles are fast enough to outrun 95% of street cars at half or less throttle?

In the context of police chasing down high performance bikes i can see your point. Not as many of these on the road as cars though.
Old 25-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Runners will run regardless of what is chasing them and will continue to run while they are being chased. Stop chasing, they stop running and then get caught a little later.
haha, reminds me of the Simpsons episode with the 'chasing music'. Turns it off, and they stop chasing Homer lol. Gold
Old 25-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #21
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although it must be said XR6T's, XR8's and SS's are all pretty damn good deterrants for said hoons who think they can outrun the cops.. See the bonnet buldge and go "crap - alright i'll pull over."

Of course some will always run for whatever reasons they think are right but still..
Old 25-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #22
LTDHO
The one and only

Waits for thread to close.

But before it does.

Police do not need to go faster, there is no benifit to it.
High speed chases are called off just before the crash. If they were to catch up, then what?

Police need to be smarter not faster.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 25-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #23
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Waits for thread to close.

But before it does.

Police do not need to go faster, there is no benifit to it.
High speed chases are called off just before the crash. If they were to catch up, then what?

Police need to be smarter not faster.
Exactly!
Old 25-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by redauxr8
I think high speed pursuits should be stopped... How is 5 high powered cop cars chasing a single hoon safe? ALL cars doing 180km/h.... In a situation like that the cops are just as bad as the hoon. It would be better to spend money on some sort of high tech camera installed on the car to get the plates and detain them later... Much safer if you ask me....
High speed pursuits involving multiple police are only used to catch hoons?

How about criminals fleeing the scene of a crime? Do you think your garden variety bank robber pulls up to his intended target in the family vehicle? Police should allow violent criminals to escape if the vehicle they're driving exceeds 100kph?

High performance police vehicles not only go faster but they also handle a lot better than the family sedan counterparts. I'd prefer police responding to an urgent matter in a vehicle built to handle a fast response rather than an XT Falcon.
Old 25-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #25
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Shoot them on-site. Oxygen thieves!
(that goes to the pr*cks that like breaking in to the homes of the elderly - bashing them and taking their money)

These threads do the rounds like a lot of topics on here.... they always turn in to Cop bashing threads.

My thoughts - these idiots kill themselves even when the cops are not around.
(thinks back to a Lexus that was street racing on Leach Hwy)
If they don't chase, they are in the wrong and should have done more, if they chase and something happens, then they are in the wrong because they should have just let them go...... couldn't pay me enough to do their job!
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 25-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #26
redauxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
High speed pursuits involving multiple police are only used to catch hoons?

How about criminals fleeing the scene of a crime? Do you think your garden variety bank robber pulls up to his intended target in the family vehicle? Police should allow violent criminals to escape if the vehicle they're driving exceeds 100kph?

High performance police vehicles not only go faster but they also handle a lot better than the family sedan counterparts. I'd prefer police responding to an urgent matter in a vehicle built to handle a fast response rather than an XT Falcon.
The article CLEARLY states that they wont be able to catch HOONS... NOTHING! is said about other criminals... Im talking about the article mate!
Old 25-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #27
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

It's not your every day driver that runs... it's the "I just stole someones pride and joy just to destroy it people" that run..... No consequences bring on the rattan, chain gangs etc.
Old 25-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #28
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Another cop bashing thread from know it all know nothings. Perhaps the author in his short and pathetic rant should research his topic and be less emotive and he may come across with a bit more credibility.

I can say that the VZ crewman vans we use are massively under powered and are an issue going to urgent jobs, especially when negoitating traffic. The vehicles supplied to Police are far heavier than civilian vehicles and have no boost to power in any form. This means that in a pursuit situation they are at a disadvantage.

I would like to see purpose built police cars such as those use in the US of A, but due to money restraints that will never happen.
Old 25-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #29
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Turbo
maybe high performance cars for the jacks is a tool to get more people to become cops.

just a thought
The term "jacks" I find is always used by one type of person, "offenders"
Old 25-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #30
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Thanks for your professional input Redrum.

The attitude from the O.P set this thread off in in the wrong direction, i can't see it getting any better.
Closed Thread