Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Speed Camera Destroyed

Fail.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...2-2862,00.html

Quote:
Speed camera stalled
Anthony Dowsley

November 25, 2008 12:00am

A NEW stealth speed camera was destroyed by angry road users while it was being tested.

The camera, which has the potential to reap millions of dollars for the State Government, has been installed on Maroondah Highway, Croydon, and is set off by laser sensors installed in roadside gutters only metres away.

It is promoted as being more accurate than other fixed speed cameras operating throughout the state. A single camera can picture any car travelling in one of three lanes, with two lasers gauging a car's lane and speed.

The Herald Sun has learned the camera was set up about three months ago, but was defaced and then destroyed by angry road users before it could be tested.

On November 5, youths spray-painted the camera, resulting in another camera being installed to catch vandals. Ten days later, three motorists tied a chain around the camera and ripped it from its base with their white Subaru station wagon.

Testing has now been delayed until it is repaired.
Nice going to all involved.

Raises the question though, if this one is so much accurate than the others, then how inaccurate are the safety cameras getting around the state.

Old 25-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
SE Ute

I noticed a strange looking contraption on the side of the road there the other day, at least that explains what it is.
Full points to the "youths" and subaru driver.
Old 25-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
hannem

Does anyone remember the speed camera that got shot?? It was down my way in Werribee (Melbourne suburb)

It was located on a bridge overpass on the main freeway, if I remember correct it was either about to get turned on or had been just turned on.

Cheers M
Old 25-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Why is Criminal Damage nice going?

All this does is give the media scare campaigners more ammunition.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 25-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Why is Criminal Damage nice going?
Don't get me wrong, when the Victorian Government puts resources into road safety, as opposed to road revenue raising, then I will be the first to stand up and congratulate. That means setting up these cameras in places with a history of accidents, not going around under the cover of darkness and putting them on roads which they are really not needed.

I live in the area, and Maroondah Highway is a great piece of road. Three lanes, great surface, service lane, big median strip and if that location is where I think it is, the road is pretty much straight as a die for more than 1 km. If the Government can identify that this road is a blackspot, then sure put cameras on each and every lane. But it has not got a history of accidents, bad or otherwise. Of all the places in this city that would require cameras as a safety measure (after all, these cameras are all about safety, are they not?) this location wouldn't even be on the radar.
Old 25-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

To the people that did it. Complete idiots. And it just goes to show the utter disrespect that people have these days.

If you have that much of a problem with speed cameras, etc. Then don’t bloody speed. Simple as that. And if you are up in the air over revenue raising, once again, no speeding = no contributing to revenue raising.
Totally uncalled for going to those kind of extremes.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 25-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

warning to all: Let's not have this fizzle out into a 'who's got higher moral standard that the other' thread where we argue about how camera's are purely revenue raisers. Keep it civilised.
Old 25-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
Fail.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...2-2862,00.html

Nice going to all involved.

Raises the question though, if this one is so much accurate than the others, then how inaccurate are the safety cameras getting around the state.
Good question, apparently they turned the cameras off on the West Gate bridge due to movement in the bridge causing inaccuracies in the speed detected. Given that the tolerance have been reduced, how many people have received a ticket for supposedly going 4 k's over when in fact they were below the limit?

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :

Last edited by SB076; 25-11-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 25-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always wanted to carry around plastic bags in my car and tie them on to every speed camera I see. This way there's no violence or property damage...

Or place huge signs 400m before a speed camera, warning drivers of it's existance.

Speed cameras in my area are ALWAYS well hidden and DO NOT act as a deterent to speeding.
Old 25-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Or place huge signs 400m before a speed camera, warning drivers of it's existance.
And because these cameras are always set up in blackspots, where there always is a long history of accidents, you shouldn't get any complaints from those floating around Spring Street.
Old 25-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only way to beat speed cameras is not to speed.

Simple solution. Place responsibility on your own shoulders.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 25-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

The had to put another camera up to photo who destroys it............

Well that didnt work either - cant even get that right............lol

Should of known better and not tested it in Croydon

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 25-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #13
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is promoted as being more accurate than other fixed speed cameras operating throughout the state. A single camera can picture any car travelling in one of three lanes, with two lasers gauging a car's lane and speed.

So what are they saying? That the current cameras arent accurate and may detect you speeding when infact your not?
Old 25-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If speed camera's save lives and do not raise revenue, how come speeding fines are raised up way outside the normal cpi ?

and if the notion that raising the fine saves lives other than raises revenue, surley they could work out the % increase in the fine to stop all road carnage. ?

sorry but to me many speed camera's focus on the struggling mums,dads and kids on the way to work and home forr a few K's over here and there.
Old 25-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #15
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation

One thing that puzzles me, They are bringing in a National Standard (or have introduced) for Heavy Vehicle licences, Forklift /Crane Tickets are all now to National Standard.Why do we not have a National Standard for police speed detection practices & equipment? I believe hand held radars are banned on the East Coast? (NSW) They are used with glee in WA!! In WA the speed camera warning sign is placed on the verge, behind trees, in amoungst the gardens, AFTER you have passed it? Last time I was in NSW the sign was placed before the radar? I am all for reducing the road toll in accident blackspots, but to me getting booked @ 3 am on the Hume Highway, for 5 k's over the limit in a (100kmp/h) speed zone, seems some what agressive by the boys in blue!!! I would hate to be an intra state truck driver!!! This is not a cop bashing rant either, but I think a National Standard is warranted & needed!!!
Old 25-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Reinforcements for the cameras are alright team rally and ready their keyboards...

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 25-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #17
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

Hand helds are still used in NSW. However in NSW all fixed speed cameras are signposted. Some 2-3 times.
Old 25-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

Or apparently read the signs:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...merasites.html
Old 25-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Or move to a place where there is no speed cameras, and unleaded costs 45c per litre :-)
Old 25-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #20
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Gee ,if only we had that in WA, We will probably get after you have passed the speed camera. By the way, in WA , the speed camera sign is usually hidden in bushes as well.
Old 25-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #21
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:

That could now be the case when they install these more accurate speed cameras..
Old 25-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #22
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw that yesterday and sadly it looks again ready to go.

Hopefully it will be damaged again.

In France the other week, I noticed that there are some of these cameras down low on the side of the road just like this one.

Obviously when they are up on a pole they are a bit easy to see!

I have some ideas......
Old 25-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #23
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Speed Cameras" are revenue raisers pure and simple.
Here's what they do to them in England ... http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso.htm
Old 25-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #24
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

So they installing a vandal camera to stop people vandalising the original vandal camera which catches those vandelising the speed camera? First time I have yoo hoo'ed a vandal .... !

Wont say anymore as the 'Moral High' ground from some is making me dizzy ......

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #25
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I do not like speed cameras but to completely destroy one is just silly. Simply travel the speed limit and you shouldn't have any issues.
I have been caught numerous times over the last 10 or so years but I know that it was due to my stupidity.
This world needs to realise the meaning of personal accountability.
Old 25-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #26
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I seems a fella in a subbie found another way.

I hate speed camera's and never been fined from one. Clearly there a cash grab.
But destroying one only costs us the taxpayers more money
Old 25-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #27
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

And who ends up paying to repair said damaged speed camera? Enjoy your taxes people!!! Or that one officer that could have turned up to help you when you called 000 that night, but was numbercrunched out due unexpected budget blowouts on other projects. Eh I dont like cameras either, but they're just a fact of life these days. I dont speed deliberately, but drive enough i will occasionally get distracted. It annoys me speed cameras dont care about your record, and dont have ears to listen to your miserable excuses.

<oops snappy got in first>
Old 25-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #28
Bazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Gee ,if only we had that in WA, We will probably get after you have passed the speed camera. By the way, in WA , the speed camera sign is usually hidden in bushes as well.
Too true, but at least we have the advantage that we can still use radar detectors in WA.

Russell
Old 25-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #29
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Bah humbug....

Borderline Speeding is not a crime - and it shouldn't be treated that way...

True - Nobody would have an argument if we all didn't speed... But we do, so lets move on.

I will not go on about the 10% tolerance that car manufacturers have, and the LACK of 10% tolerance by the Police/Civic Compliance/Government (and anyone else I can point a stick at)...

But, look at it this way.
The rate of speed cameras, be it fixed, mobile, broken, inaccurate, whatever... The amount of cameras out there has increased... right?
The amount of fines dished out to the public has increased (I am paraphrasing from a Herald Sun article this week)... Record Speeding fine totals, right?
The rate of people losing licenses, hoon laws, stricter L & P plate laws.... all of these great new ideas and provisions...
NOW (I finally get to my point)...
The road toll (in Victoria at least) is actually UP on last year, and last year was UP on the year before....
So if the measures in place aren't working? Whats the solution?
If the money that is collected from the massive amounts of fines is not being poured back into road safety.... What is the Solution??

Cars now have more safety features than ever before (and more power!! woo hoo)...
Drivers now have more distractions than ever before (GPS, Mobile Phone, I-pod, etc)...

The government can't simply sit on their hands.... They have to look like they care, and that they are doing something...
But in their defence, everything that they have tried hasn't really worked?!?!

So to all those that kick up a fuss bout speeding fines/cameras etc...
What is your suggestion?? Because you might want to come up with something soon...
Could be you that gets cleaned up by the next 19year old in an R32 Skyline... Pachuuuu!! (Bless you blow off valve)...

Nuff Said...
Old 25-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #30
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy

Hi all
in QLD they put the sign telling you of a speed camera after you have passed it they also have signs on the camera cars saying every K over is a killer does that mean that when Im in my Mack @45 tonnes doing 101 Ks per hour on the freeway and I hit a car I will kill some one but if Im doing 99Ks per hour and hit the same car every one will be OK what aload of nothing but money grabbing
thats it for now John
Closed Thread