Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Cake creation

I am no cake boss, but I took today off from work and made my fiance her Birthday cake.

I was lazy and had the local bakery make me the sponge. But I filled and decorated it, with help from my 5yr old when she got home.

The filling which you can't see is is in rings. I made a chocolate and white chocolate mousse (from scratch, have my mums all time best recipe and for white choc I just didn't add the extra sugar I would normally use for the dark chocolate)

So I cut the sponge in half and piped a ring of chocolate mousse. Then I made a ring of fresh sliced strawberries (god they are expensive atm, but it is my fiance birthday after all), then piped a ring of white choc, then strawberries, then a final piping of chocolate mousse.

I then put the top on and put it back in the fridge for 2hrs. Whilst it was in the fridge I made a Chocolate ganache using lindt swiss chocolate.

So 2 hours passed and I took out the cake and cut the top off, I then put the chocolate ganache around the outside of the cake, then dusted that with white chocolate I grated. The chocolate became statically charged in when I used my grating container and it was flying everywhere when I took the lid off.

I then put chocolate mousse on the top and my daughter (with assistance) piped the white choc mousse into those rosette things. Then half strawberries between each rosette and then my awesome piping skills did the writing lol.

All up it took me 4hrs of messing around making things, refrigerating etc. Now I get to do the dishes. So happy birthday to my fiance. I hope she likes it when she returns tomorrow. Wish I had left the writing off. If this is wrong section mods please move.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cake creation

Well done!
Im sure she will appreciate the effort..
Dammit i havent made any cakes in years ... and my waffle maker is gathering dust.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Looking at it is making me hungry...!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

HAPPY
8LRTH0AY

:P

cakes looks good but freehand piping isn't your strong suit

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

say your daughter did the writing hahaha.. looks good otherwise, at least she will believe you made a great cake gw
Old 27-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

well done, i bet she likes it better then if you had just bought one ready done.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
HAPPY
8LRTH0AY

:P

cakes looks good but freehand piping isn't your strong suit

no the writing is not my strong suit. I would love to say my daughter did it but my daughter is smart enough to say no she didn't lol. If I had not thrown the left over mousse out (decided the cake had enough already) I would have just smoothed over it. My intitial idea was to do it in chocolate on a tray and place it on. Also should have done writing first, I did it last so I had to squezze it all in. Either way I will never write on another cake, and every year if my fiance asks for another, I will just show her the photo's of this lol.

Actually I might scrape it off and re smooth. There is a thick layer of choc on the top so it should be o.k
Old 27-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well I took the crappy writing off, it is not as neat (the mousse) but I wil just say I dropped a strawberry and had to try and fix it. The strawberry top in centre is my daughters idea this time.

I might buy a plastic happy birthday thing to put on before I serve it. I have to try and hide it till tomorrow night.

Old 27-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

She's going to say, "thank you darling" now "what have you done wrong"? lol. I liked it with the writing on, shows that nothing is perfect and you gave it your best shot for her.
Old 27-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

I pickled the figs myself........
Old 28-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #11
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Impressive! I bet it tastes good too. You did reasonably well with the piping, I struggle with it too. Still looks great though.

Since we're showing off our baking prowess, here's an apple pie I prepared earlier. I am a massive fan of home made apple pie, there's nothing like it. The shop ones are revolting with the super thick shortcrust glue pastry and the "apple" which is mostly gelatin and uncooked apple chunks.

Old 28-05-2011, 02:45 AM   #12
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a homemade (partly) and decorated birthday cake is just so sweet.... your effort shows, and I'm sure that's good for heaps of brownie points (since we're talking desserts here). I think the Happy Birthday writing added your personal touch but the story about how the strawberry came to be works too. Let us know her reaction and how it tasted.

Here's hoping it was a great birthday celebration!

Ford The Win-your apple pie looks absolutely delish!
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 04:08 AM   #13
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Impressive! I bet it tastes good too. You did reasonably well with the piping, I struggle with it too. Still looks great though.

Since we're showing off our baking prowess, here's an apple pie I prepared earlier. I am a massive fan of home made apple pie, there's nothing like it. The shop ones are revolting with the super thick shortcrust glue pastry and the "apple" which is mostly gelatin and uncooked apple chunks.

Just had too!
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #14
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

dude, you totally should of left the writing on it! it gives it that personal touch!

but well done otherwise! i love getting in and having a good ol bake or cooking seession!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I have to make another cake today also. The one I made last night is more a cake for my fiance. Her family are coming over so I am making another cake. This one will have 3 layers and is a chocolate, cherry liquer cake. I will be filling the layers with cream mixed with ferrero roches, that I will crush and melt. Or just crush and add to cream, but i feel melting them will infuse the flavour better. Then will do a choc ganache and I will sprinkle sides with nuts. Then I will pipe happy birthday, but with icing or white choc. Altbough rubbish half the reason my special cake failed was i tried to cram it in the small space and also the mousse was melting. Happy Birthday will be done in bright pink.
Old 29-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #16
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

Good job on the cake, much better than store bought.

Last year I made the 8 layer chocolate cake they made on kids masterchef .... it took them 2 hours but had me slaving for a full 8 hours it was a massive task but tasted great and was appreciated by the boss.
dags41v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #17
Spudz27
Call me Spud

So this was the second cake. Again my piping is not great, but it is better than the first cake.

This one was as I said in an earlier post. Chocolate cherry liquer cake, but it wasn't big enough for 2 layers, so I just cut it in half and filled it with a mousse I made using ferrero Roche's (my god this mousse was heaven, didn't throw the leftovers from this one out lol), then made a ganache using Lindt white chocolate (only the best for my fiance), I made an error with the ganache. I used 300g of lindt ($9 lol) which I melted and then added cream as I saw fit. So as I was spreading it on the cake I ran out before I had finished the whole outside, basically I had not added enough cream and as it cooled it was setting like a thick icing. So I tried my best to rectify this and scrape it off. It was o.k, certainly better than one half the cake with ganache. Also it was enough to at least make a ring of white where the two halves joined. I then made a pink icing and tried to pipe free hand. I reckon with practice I will master it, but I am not going to continually make cakes to practice on lol. This cake tasted better than my first one lol. We pretty much polished off the first, and some of this one. Had inlaws over for morning tea so finished off some more and we will slowly finish them over the next few days. So here was the finished cake. I let my daughter pipe the swirl.

Old 29-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #18
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Apart from cars, food is my second favorite topic. I love watching cooking shows like man vs food, master chef, as well as extreme food and Rick stein food Odyssey amongst many more. This is a great achievement spudz. Cakes can be difficult if u don't know what your doing. I'm sure your Mrs will appreciate your efforts.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont