Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cops now using HSV E3 Clubsports - WTF???

Hi Guys,

Today I while walking thought the Crows Nest shops in Sydney I witnessed a highway patrol driving a brand new HSV E3 Clubsport with its look at me driving lights and OMG you can’t miss me paint job … I mean seriously WTF does a highway patrol need a 70K+ car!!! Is a standard V8 Commodore SS not good enough???

The cop was grinning like someone who just had his certain body part significantly enlarged and I mean come-on what a waist of tax payer’s money!!! I’m personally sick and tired of the Local and State governments and their never ending unions wasting all the taxpayers money on the constant BS and bureaucracy that nobody but them benefits from …

End rant.

Old 15-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ive always had the same belief, but seriously they probably get better resale on FPV / HSV.. Plus they dont pay tax on them to start with!!
Old 15-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Ive seen plenty of Typhoons getting around too.

I dont see the big deal really.
Old 15-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

where i live, its just standard FG XR6's with F6 rims..
Old 15-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Your thread is about the fact that Highway Patrol police are now using E3 Clubsports? You also say, no one benefits from this but them?

With the amount of Turbo cars/faster cars on our roads, No I don't think a standard V8 Commodore SS IS good enough.

I see with the Police having newer cars.... the public benefit. This is nothing new.

Your points are all mute and hardly thread worthy.
Old 15-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL dude do you actually think the police need faster cars to keep up??? The speed limits did not change and actually they are lower these days or are you saying the SS V8 Commodore is unable to do 110? Or say 150?

The police are not supposed to be performing some 300Km/h chases across public roads to chase a so called criminal … they actually cause more damage with these chases than good!

The point is that its tax free cause the government sees no point to tax itself as it all comes from the same pocket anayways … the car however is still a lot more expensive than a Commodore as its base price is much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Your thread is about the fact that Highway Patrol police are now using E3 Clubsports? You also say, no one benefits from this but them?

With the amount of Turbo cars/faster cars on our roads, No I don't think a standard V8 Commodore SS IS good enough.

I see with the Police having newer cars.... the public benefit. This is nothing new.

Your points are all mute and hardly thread worthy.
Old 15-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I would rather the police force spend a few more shillings and ensure their members have the right equipment.

I'd imagine the brakes and suspension in the clubsport would be a whole lot better in their line of work as opposed to those in the SS.

I'd imagine they wouldn't pay RRP and wouldn't have a whole lot of them either.

got any comment on this?

Last edited by Wretched; 15-03-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 15-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Fled74
The Thread Killa

The law SHOULD have faster cars than Hollywood.
It'll make offenders think twice about gunning it and trying to get away (the smart ones at least).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 15-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Lambo was a donation by the factory ... not a police purchase.

I guess the people of Australia love to see their government taxes burned up …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I would rather the police force spend a few more shillings and ensure their members have the right equipment.

I'd imagine the brakes and suspension in the clubsport would be a whole lot better in their line of work as opposed to those in the SS.

I'd imagine they wouldn't pay RRP and i don't imagine they have a whole lot of them either.

got any comment on this
Old 15-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Dimka, I believe you need to remove the "ka" from your username for it to be slightly more apt.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 15-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
The Lambo was a donation by the factory ... not a police purchase.

I guess the people of Australia love to see their government taxes burned up …
Still relevant to your comment of "nobody but them benefits from …."

Really? You think this is the only way governments waste our money? In the grand scheme of things a clubsport or ten at a discounted rate is miniscule compared to other wastage.

Quote:
In the 2009-10 Budget, the biggest spending areas for this financial year will be: social security and welfare ($116.5b), other purposes ($58.8b), health ($51.2b), education ($35.2b), defence ($21b) and general public services ($17.8b). To clarify, other purposes mainly comprise revenue assistance to State, Territory and Local Governments, while general public services refers to money paid to run the government, as well as public research and foreign aid. It’s also worth mentioning that spending on housing and community amenities will more than double from $4.4b to $9.1b due to one-off stimulus payments.
http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/blog.a...wcomments=true
Old 15-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
No.6

Sure. Id love to see an SS, from a standing start on the opposite side of the road, catch up to a more agile wrx.

Cops need fast cars, not just to chase people or catch up to them, but to also discourage people from wanting to run off in the first place. They also have a bunch of F6's in every hero colour possible, as well as xr6t's with brembo brakes and fpv rims. I see no problem in giving the police whatever is necessary to arrest the scum of the earth.
Old 15-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its also a bit of a morale boost for officers too, cheaper to keep them happy than leave.
Old 15-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahaha. You're jealous. Taxpayer's money haha cry me a river.
Old 15-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not to mention all the ambo drivers cruising around in MERCEDES BENZ ambulances!

do they really need such expensive vehicles? why not an AU wagon on LPG?
Old 15-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
Turbo6FG
Starter Motor

By the time they radio back & go thru the red tape to engage in a high speed chase the offenders are long gone anyway if they are going to run for it.
If someone is doing a runner they normally use the chopper these days & radio ahead to do road blocks.

The 0-100 & 1/4 mile times of a Clubbie & standard XR6T are within a bees dick anyway. Why not buy one of them with a brake upgrade instead of some tarted up pimpmobile with vents all over it?

I agree - waste of $$$.
Old 15-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
weenie

Maybe the wider rears make it safer than a ford or holden, & they can watch how many Gs they pull when cornering on the new centre screen.
Old 15-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dimka get a life.....the car pays for itself in no time, and the average Highway car is worth around 150K by the time its kitted out regardless of brand make or model.

There is a few FPV Highway cars in my area both marked and unmarked, should be more of them IMO:noteworthy

Also if you think equipping the Cops with the gear they need to stop idiots being idiots, and possibly saving a few lifes along the way is a waste of tax payers money, start looking at the human garbage we waste our tax money on by providing junkies with cash and free housing, the same junkies that tie up our police and court resources and ambulance services from getting to people on time.

Or is it just jealousy that the cop gets to drive a nice car for his shift while you look for the next trolly in the Franklins car park during yours
Old 15-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #19
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
not to mention all the ambo drivers cruising around in MERCEDES BENZ ambulances!
FYI, in the commercial vehicles sector, the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter is actually very competitively priced and there is hardly any local competition to speak of.
Old 15-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Hi Guys,

Today I while walking thought the Crows Nest shops in Sydney I witnessed a highway patrol driving a brand new HSV E3 Clubsport with its look at me driving lights and OMG you can’t miss me paint job … I mean seriously WTF does a highway patrol need a 70K+ car!!! Is a standard V8 Commodore SS not good enough???
Clearly not.

Can an SS be optioned with Brembos? Don't think so. It also doesn't cost the force 70k.

Around my parts, the cops get around in F6's... and now I own one of them.
Old 15-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I've summed up the people in this thread into 2 categories:

1. Completely jealous idiot's who are having a cry because the police have a better car than them. Covering this fact up by pretending they're concerned where there tax money is going.

2. Smart people who can see the reasoning behind the police having an E3 Clubsport. If you don't know what those reasons are, then you're not in this category.

Which one are you...?
Old 15-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #22
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Clearly not.

Can an SS be optioned with Brembos? Don't think so. It also doesn't cost the force 70k.

Around my parts, the cops get around in F6's... and now I own one of them.
Actually you can get SS's with the Redline pack, come with front brembo's. Not trying to stir **** just saying.
But I generally agree with the tone of the thread, I think having FPV's and HSV's for HWP is fine. Why not get the most suitable car for a purpose, plus it's still supporting local industry, it's not like there driving M5's and GT2's. As long as they don't start replacing all the General Duty XT's with F6's and Nissan 4wd with X5's then it's alright. Let them do their job as well as they can with the best tools they can.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 15-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #23
Turbo6FG
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-WORKN
...the police have a better car

Are you from the Holden forum?

What do you mean by 'smart people who can see the reasoning'?
FYI the police don't engage in 200km/h chases outside the movies. Once the offender goes to fast they abandon the chase as too dangerous, that's normally when they call the chopper (if it's available).

In WA the maximum chase speed is 140km/h & then only if the pursuing officer determines it is safe for him to proceed at that speed. So if some bogan in their old shitter goes 150/160 the pursuit car must call off the chase as it is too dangerous.

If they were really worried about milliseconds difference in performance as some people in this thread seem to think, they would spend the $80K on an Evo X which would run rings around them on the corners & I imagine it would be capable of doing 140kmh on the straights.

Here is a randomly selected article to demonstrate what I'm talking about. The biggest hinderance to police catching offenders is not their cars, it's bureaucracy & red tape.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...-high-coroner/