Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Wally
XP Coupe

Default Driven to Distraction

I think this guys has a point. I know my concentration is less than desirable when I'm playing:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/02...acted_driving/

Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Man I should be CEO or something, I've been saying that for years.

Blind freddy could can see whats causing these "incidents" (not accidents) without waiting on yearly stats to come in.

Next thing insurance companies will be asking is if you own a sat nav, moblie, incar entertainment system and not as extra kit to insure, but as a liability.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah you have to wonder where the cut off point is , i must confess i like the gadets like blue tooth running through the gps, but even that has it draw backs for example yesterday while driveing up the highway a relo rang up(a fairly annoying one) she new i was on hands free, it took 31 minutes before the call ended ..... and i hardlly got a word in :togo: , while it takes no effort to talk and drive ......apart from some gadgets takeing concentration it can spoil the driveing experience.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those who don't watch Mythbusters, they found that a phone call was the equivalent of driving at the BAC (drunk) limit.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol and when there are no more gadgets allowed in cars they'll ban passengers from talking to the driver.

I can honestly say the only time i have been involved in what could be called an accident/incident/near miss was when i was distracted not by GPS, mobiles or the radio...but by passengers
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I can honestly say I find the Climate Control distracting, when you're trying to get a specific setting and every time you turn it off and on again you have to re-do it all over.
The standard air con controls are so easy, turn this, push that, done. And it doesnt forget your settings.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
For those who don't watch Mythbusters, they found that a phone call was the equivalent of driving at the BAC (drunk) limit.
As opposed to a conversation with 1 or more people in the car with you???
What's a nagging wife or screaming kid equal too...? Paraletic??!!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
was that with hands free?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
As opposed to a conversation with 1 or more people in the car with you???
What's a nagging wife or screaming kid equal too...? Paraletic??!!
Hear hear Norm. If you prioritise something else over driving regardless of what it is, of course the chances of something bad happening greatly increase.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
Mad Maxine

All of these pale into insignificance when you see the apalling driving skills of a car ahead of you, and as you approach to get past (usually because they are all over the road like a mad woman's knitting and doing 10km under the posted limit), you see they are trying to read a Refidex (Melways to you interstate folks) as they drive. For goodness sakes, just PULL OVER and find out where you are! Unless you are on a freeway (and that just ups the ante for fear factor by a multiplier of about, ooh, a thousand!), pull up, find where you are going, and THEN get back on the road and go.

Won't have a hands free in any of my cars, and also don't answer the phone either. Bugger 'em. Whatever it is can wait. If it's really urgent, they will ring again and again and then you know it could be important and it's time to pull over, turn off the ignition, put the handbrake on, get 'er in PARK and then yap to the person on the phone.

Yeah, I treasure my time in my car, and I don't want to talk to anyone while I'm enjoying it.

MM

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post