Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Brand new manual car...

Hi all,

Next year i will be purchasing a brand new 2018 Nissan X-Trail. I will more likely be looking at a 7seater so this question may not be revelent as the 7seater is auto only.

But anyway, i have test driven a brand new manual X-Trail an lpved it. But everyone i talk to says i will be stuck with it when trade in time comes along...

Whats everyone's thoughts on that?

TIA
James

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Brand new manual car...

News Flash:
Dealers will always try to rip you off when it comes trade-in time.
Doesn't matter what you have they will claim nobody wants it.
Reality is that if you intend to trade, it probably won't make a difference. If you want to sell privately then yes it may, and you need to consider the demographic of your prospective purchasers.

But if you are a buying a new car with a view to resale, then the simple answer is "don't." Cars cost money, you're paying for the "luxury" so buy want YOU want.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

Most owners want auto's these days so I believe an auto will outsell manual for an X-trail model.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Its a shame manual cars are falling out of favour, I wonder whether govco and the car companies (now with free auto) are guiding us all towards auto's so they can slip in their control / driverless car agenda.
However, I don't see why resale value would be badly affected by being a manual.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Its a shame manual cars are falling out of favour, I wonder whether govco and the car companies (now with free auto) are guiding us all towards auto's so they can slip in their control / driverless car agenda.
However, I don't see why resale value would be badly affected by being a manual.
Sports cars, Falcons and particularly XR6T's, F6's and GT's in manual are highly sort after being rarer.
SUV's and "mum and dad" type cars on the other hand are less desirable with manuals IMO.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

If you want a manual buy one and worry about resale when the time comes. Between the time you buy it and the time you sell who knows what may happen. If you plan to keep it for 200 thousand kays then the gearbox probably won't make a difference in resale. I personally prefer autos yet I drive a manual. It's no real issue switching between either.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate got bugger all for his ~5 year old Honda Euro manual. No calls from private sale, dealers lowballed him because it was manual. They said if it was auto then it would sell no probs.

Another mate picked up a newish RAV4 manual for a great price at the dealer, it had been sitting for a couple months as it was manual, they were just grateful to get rid of it.

If you are planning on trading it in in a couple years then auto is the go. Many more people are getting auto only licences so buying a manual will rule out many prospective buyers.

But you are the one that is driving it, no point buying an auto if you hate it. I would go the manual over the CVT in the Xtrail anyday.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bugger configuring a new car for the next owner

just choose want you want to own
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't buy a car now based on something that may or may not happen in X years time when you sell... By whatever you want/suits you best...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
My mate got bugger all for his ~5 year old Honda Euro manual. No calls from private sale, dealers lowballed him because it was manual. They said if it was auto then it would sell no probs.
After which they doubled the price and advertised it as "Rare."

If you have a wagon, a manual, a diesel, a whatever, if you are trading-in they tell you that nobody wants them, and then they tell the buyer how rare it is and they can't get enough.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When getting our XTrail I briefly entertained manual, but it wasn’t available in the spec I wanted.

XTrail has been more enjoyable to live with and drive than I expected, so sometimes I wished I had gone a manual one.

Is resale that much of an issue, I assume you would save at least a couple of grand over an auto so you have that as a buffer if you go to sell.

We have a family friend who bought an XTrail a year before us and the whole time I had assumed it was an auto. The wife was chatting and told us she only drives manuals, yep her XTrail was a manual.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

In 2004 only 33% of Australian car licence holders had a licence to drive a manual.

By 2009, that figure had fallen to 26%.

I would hazard a guess that 8 years later in 2017, that figure would now be down to about 20%.

When you come to sell a manual car another 5 years from now, it will be down to 16% with young drivers opting for auto and aging manual licence holders no longer driving.

Your chances of selling the car then will be further greatly reduced.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the life of me i couldn't sell a manual HSV despite it listing as the cheapest on car sales.
6 months and not one phone call. I reluctantly ended up selling it to a p plater.

Car was completely stock. LS3

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #14
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With traffic these days, can you blame people for wanting an auto. Most commuters spend hours in traffic everyday, the last thing you want is to be pushing the clutch in and out 100 times to move 100meters. Another factor is autos are so good now that they are quicker, very responsive, better on fuel and stronger compared to manuals. No longer a disadvantage, in fact an advantage. Manuals are an extinct dinosaur ready to be laid to rest.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The current xtrail in auto is CVT isnt it, i wouldn't go near one personally.

A few months ago my mate brought home a new Suzuki Vitara with CVT, i like to test drive whatever he has as a drive car so he threw me the keys and it was the most gutless piece of **** i've ever driven, even worse than the CVT outlander we had.
Next day he brings me home a manual version, completely different car.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #16
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

A few months ago my mate brought home a new Suzuki Vitara with CVT, i like to test drive whatever he has as a drive car so he threw me the keys and it was the most gutless piece of **** i've ever driven, even worse than the CVT outlander we had.
Vitara actually runs a torque converter auto :-) Maybe a Swift ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Vitara actually runs a torque converter auto :-) Maybe a Swift ?
Well if thats the case, its the worst conventional auto i've ever driven because it was completely gutless until you revved its guts out, the same as our outlander did.
I know the Grand Vitara is torque convertor because it still uses the old 4sp, drove that and it drank fuel like you wouldn't believe.

Drove the swift turbo too, looking forward to the new turbo sport thats supposedly coming soon, should be a rocket for what it is.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #18
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
In 2004 only 33% of Australian car licence holders had a licence to drive a manual.

I would hazard a guess that 8 years later in 2017, that figure would now be down to about 20%.

When you come to sell a manual car another 5 years from now, it will be down to 16% with young drivers opting for auto and aging manual licence holders no longer driving.

Wow are those figures for real?? I only know one person who has an auto only license i would have guessed at least 70% could drive a manual.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #19
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
bugger configuring a new car for the next owner

just choose want you want to own
Exactly. A mate of mine has a favourite saying.

"Not driving your car, to avoid racking up km, is like not (polite version) having relations with your missus, so you can save her for the next bloke."

If you want a manual, buy it. Sure, you may get $2K less when it comes time to sell, but over 3 years, that's $2 a day.
Would you pay $2 a day to drive something YOU want, vs something you are doing to please a future owner?

It's like owning a V8 as a daily. Sure, a 4 cylinder buzzbox will get you to & from work, but the $10/week more it costs to drive the V8 to work is worth every single cent, many times over.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #20
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a manual Xtrail is so undesirable to other buyers, offer to take the new one off his hands for a substantial discount on the RRP.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #21
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tried to sell my manual 2yo rio for 6 months, didn't get one phone call. If it was auto it would have gone quick smart.
If buying new make sure you get a hefty discount on manual, as autos are mostly free or NCO nowadays.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 27-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #22
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
News Flash:
Dealers will always try to rip you off when it comes trade-in time.
Doesn't matter what you have they will claim nobody wants it.
Reality is that if you intend to trade, it probably won't make a difference. If you want to sell privately then yes it may, and you need to consider the demographic of your prospective purchasers.

But if you are a buying a new car with a view to resale, then the simple answer is "don't." Cars cost money, you're paying for the "luxury" so buy want YOU want.
Big Dealerships will work off redbook valuations so you will know before hand what to expect, if any they do not want your trade in if the vehicle is over a certain age and recommend you sell it privately for the extra price you may seek.
As for used car sale yards expect the ripoff if you are dopey enough to use them.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #23
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

Irrelevant. The A condition is removed from your licence when you go full licence. I started out with an auto licence myself. Its logical as there are more important things to worry about than shifting gears as a new driver. Auto = training wheels which is why most new drivers go for auto only, its a driving aid. Nearly everyone I know who started on an auto licence eventually alternated between auto/manual. Myself, I learned on google one night and started driving manual from then on. Hate driving auto now. Last three cars I purchased were manual.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #24
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

CVT in the Xtrail, which is why its best to go for a manual.

The older diesel manual was a very economical zippy machine, unfortunately they've changed the engine in the new model to a 1.6L slug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet
For the life of me i couldn't sell a manual HSV despite it listing as the cheapest on car sales.
6 months and not one phone call. I reluctantly ended up selling it to a p plater.

Car was completely stock. LS3
I sold my manual FG XR50 for 3 or $4000 more than I would have got if it was an automatic. Heaps of XR50 autos on Carsales, manuals are rare and desirable for this model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl
With traffic these days, can you blame people for wanting an auto. Most commuters spend hours in traffic everyday, the last thing you want is to be pushing the clutch in and out 100 times to move 100meters. Another factor is autos are so good now that they are quicker, very responsive, better on fuel and stronger compared to manuals. No longer a disadvantage, in fact an advantage. Manuals are an extinct dinosaur ready to be laid to rest.
Not necessarily. There are some drivers around who still prefer manuals as they are more a drivers car in the gears. Then there are some who don't mind either transmission type. Of course it depends on which car is being referred to however. And CVT's as in the Xtrail aren't all that quick or desirable to drive anyway.

Also I do know my manual XR50 fuel economy was on par with the auto version.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #25
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Exactly. A mate of mine has a favourite saying.

"Not driving your car, to avoid racking up km, is like not (polite version) having relations with your missus, so you can save her for the next bloke."

If you want a manual, buy it. Sure, you may get $2K less when it comes time to sell, but over 3 years, that's $2 a day.
Would you pay $2 a day to drive something YOU want, vs something you are doing to please a future owner?

It's like owning a V8 as a daily. Sure, a 4 cylinder buzzbox will get you to & from work, but the $10/week more it costs to drive the V8 to work is worth every single cent, many times over.
When or if it comes time to sell, if it is maintained & has a history of works performed like many enthusiasts do, you will attract the type of buyer who appreciates a cars uniqueness & history, and will pay more than someone looking for an 2nd or cheaper car.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #26
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Get the car you want and drive it as much as possible. As far as I can tell, you will only get one chance at life.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #27
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's all very romantic to like the old manuals, and to say an enthusiast will appreciate its uniqueness,

But in all reality this (and most cars on the market) are not unique cars, they're grocery getters, and taxi's to pick up the kids, no car fits this genre more than the midsize sure such as the Xtrail, so put simply no one buys a manual passenger car now mot kids don't even know how to drive them.

So the bottom line is if that's what you want, get it but don't factor in a resale based on a strong sale price because it won't happen

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I've had better trades with manual cars then dime a dozen autos. I guess with suv's it might be different. If you can live with an auto then I guess go that way.
Old 27-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #29
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
It's all very romantic to like the old manuals, and to say an enthusiast will appreciate its uniqueness,

But in all reality this (and most cars on the market) are not unique cars, they're grocery getters, and taxi's to pick up the kids, no car fits this genre more than the midsize sure such as the Xtrail, so put simply no one buys a manual passenger car now mot kids don't even know how to drive them.

So the bottom line is if that's what you want, get it but don't factor in a resale based on a strong sale price because it won't happen
Or to paraphrase. Take into consideration the intended demographic of the car if resale is a concern. i.e. two cars in my driveway at other ends of the same spectrum. Auto Porsche is less marketable than a manual, manual Ranger is less appealing than auto. Both would fetch less at sale/trade time. Porsche people want a more involved driving experience, Ranger people are not typically looking for the same level of input and are likely just wanting to tow the van around the country etc etc etc. Me personally I couldn't care less about resale as I'm keeping the cars long term, I bought the cars that suit my requirements not the market.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #30
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
I've had better trades with manual cars then dime a dozen autos. I guess with suv's it might be different. If you can live with an auto then I guess go that way.
If your talking XR6 / 8 or the likes absolutely infact I'm looking for a BF XR6 manual for my son and the rubbish that is on offer in his budget would get him a glammer as an auto

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post