Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: How much power does a large RWD saloon need for satisfying performance ?
150-200 rwkw's 2 1.54%
200-250 rwkw's 15 11.54%
250-300 rwkw's 40 30.77%
300-350 rwkw's 43 33.08%
More than 350 rwkw's 30 23.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Rodge
Banned

Default VF SSV- Redline vs SC FPV GT-P

I've been wondering for a while how the VF Redline goes and can't resist the temptation to try one out and have finally relented and will be evaluating one tomorrow.

This comes about because not only do I have a bad case of the 3 year itch with my car being 3 years old but I think on paper at least Holden have created a very good package at an attractive price point for this car.

Compared to my MK1 SC GT-P it has a very, very long list of technology that's missing from my car and unlike some others on here, for me personally its never been just about horsepower... technology, driving position, seat comfort, fuel efficiency, handling, chassis strength and other factors come into the equation as well.

I crucial question i will be endeavouring to unpack is this, How much power is the right amount for a large RWD car ? We live in such a draconian era with ever more opressive speed measurement devices, yes even coming to N.Z. from what I hear, 100 k.p.h. speed limits in N.Z. and in my case 98 Octane is $2.33 a litre in N.Z. Central question in my mind is am I willing to trade off about 80 rwkw's in power for a host of new technology in a VF SSV Redline and arguably a better chassis and far sweeter handling package and exactly how good is this VF SSV Redline that the public seem happy to so warmly embrace ? (Apparently its selling extremly well, maybe Joe public knows something many of us on here don't ?).

Having driven all sorts of cars over 37 years my gut feel tells me about 250-270 rwkw's in a sweet handling and extremly well equipped large RWD is the sweet spot for me but we are all different, I am 52 and have high blood pressure and don't feel the need or desire to try and break any track records any more, i'm more than content to leave it to the young fellas on here with fewer other committments to spend the big bucks to try and break the rwkw and quarter mile records. I think I would accept some trade-off in performance for a wide range of new technology and handling improvements but with the average 6.0 V8 Holden running somewhere in the low 200's on most dyno's maybe its a bit too much or a trade off ? On paper the change over price based on estimated wholesale for my car doesn't look too bad at all. Time for a change ?...we will see. I am certain there will be a large number of you young fella's that have trouble identifying with where I'm coming from and that's just fine, you cannot put an old head on young shoulders so I won't try and fully expect the "are you mad, there's no such thing as too much horsepower" comments, but I am looking forward to the more thoughtful responses and poll result. I voted 250-300 rwkw's.

Last edited by Rodge; 24-02-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 24-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Default Re: VF SSV- Redline vs SC FPV GT-P

Good luck to ya Rodge you will be surprised how the vf gets of the line m8..
But honestly I can only see you in a GTS not a tarted up commadore.(better then ya average tart I must say)
Bigger tyre's help the red oval but I'm 99% sure you will feel the lack of grunt over ya SC beast..
Time will tell, look forward on hearing what ya thought..

Ps on the RWKW figure round the high 200's low 3s feel great on the street..(NA)

Dave

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

the poll needs more options, for me in my stock XRT with probably around 220-230rwkw the car is certainly satisfying, but ultimately i'd love it to be up near the 300 mark (as long as no rain is involved). However comparing with other makes it comes down to weight, gearing, RPM range of power delivery, induction etc.

Don't go trying to justify it to yourself, just make the choice you want to make, it's no big deal. I'd have an SS as a second car at some point, but i'd find it very hard to make the swap, they have a totally different ambience to them. Also i can't STAND electric steering.

Anyway, have fun.
Old 24-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #4
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re the title of thread, it really is a no brainer..

edit

I would expect my te50 to have around 150-160rwkw, if it had another 100 at the wheels it would be ALOT funner to drive.

Also a car with lower power figure but more gearing eg 4.11's would also be fun to drive.
Old 24-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD ESP! XELR8 View Post
Good luck to ya Rodge you will be surprised how the vf gets of the line m8..
But honestly I can only see you in a GTS not a tarted up commadore.(better then ya average tart I must say)
Bigger tyre's help the red oval but I'm 99% sure you will feel the lack of grunt over ya SC beast..
Time will tell, look forward on hearing what ya thought..

Ps on the RWKW figure round the high 200's low 3s feel great on the street..(NA)

Dave
Thanks mate. GTS auto retails for $125,000 in N.Z. plus on roads.
I can afford it and think they're a fantastic car BUT that's a lot of coin for an Australian made car and what really grinds my gearstick so to speak is its unfairly priced. I think if HSV N.Z. were more realistic, i.e pricing that car where it should be based on the current exchange rate of 92 cents Aussie it should be $109K Kiwi (allowing for our dollar where it is, our different GST rate and $3K shipping)...at say $105,000 Kiwi,( a bit of a discount as I never pay retail I'd be a starter on a GTS. I'll share those thougths with the dealer tomorrow, who knows maybe they'll be more realistic than I thought.

On the poll thing, yeah there's lots of different variables, what I'm getting at is what's the correct amount of power for a really satisfying drive in a Falcon or Commodore sized vehicle with standard gearing...you know how you feel after you've eaten a really good thick juicy steak ? That's the sort of satisfaction i'm referring too. Someting that satisfies properly without giving you indigestion, or moving away from that metaphor, something that doesn't cause you no end of grief with components breaking or playing up.

Last edited by Rodge; 24-02-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 24-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZHLANE View Post
Re the title of thread, it really is a no brainer..

edit

I would expect my te50 to have around 150-160rwkw, if it had another 100 at the wheels it would be ALOT funner to drive.

Also a car with lower power figure but more gearing eg 4.11's would also be fun to drive.
I'm curious as to why you think its a no brainer.

On the weekend I decided to put together a list. Here's the list of stuff in a VF SS-V Redline I noted from Holden's brochure that's either missing from my car or of interest to me compared to my MK1 SC GT-P.
Colour Head Up Display
Forward Collision Alert
Lane Departure Warning
Blind Spot Alert
My Link system - Voice Activated
8 inch Touch Screen Display
Active Fuel Management - Cylinder deactivation - This matters when 98 Octane is $2.33 a litre
Ability to Run on much cheaper 91 Octane
11.8 l/100 km's vs 13.7L/100 km's for SC GT-P
Satellite Navigation
Reversing Traffic Alert
Rear View Camera
Trailer Sway Control, (Could be useful, thinking of buying a trailer boat)
FE3 Sports Suspension
Launch control
Competition mode dynamic stability control
Electric tilt and slide Sunroof
8 way power adjustment of drivers seat
Powered lumbar support
Squared off steering wheel at bottom, (more thigh room)
Lower seating position
LED daytime running lamps
Bose Premium audio - is it really better than Ford's so called premium audio ?
Automatic park assist - doubtful I'd ever use this but might be good for the Mrs
Front and rear Park assist
Keyless entry and push button start
275 rear tyres
Projector headlamps
Rain sensing wipers
Illuminated controls on steering wheel

There's probably other stuff too, like one touch up and down windows, don;t know, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 24-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Thanks mate. GTS auto retails for $125,000 in N.Z. plus on roads.
I can afford it and think they're a fantastic car BUT that's a lot of coin for an Australian made car and what really grinds my gearstick so to speak is its unfairly priced. I think if HSV N.Z. were more realistic, i.e pricing that car where it should be based on the current exchange rate of 92 cents Aussie it should be $109K Kiwi (allowing for our dollar where it is, our different GST rate and $3K shipping)...at say $105,000 Kiwi,( a bit of a discount as I never pay retail I'd be a starter on a GTS. I'll share those thougths with the dealer tomorrow, who knows maybe they'll be more realistic than I thought.

On the poll thing, yeah there's lots of different variables, what I'm getting at is what's the correct amount of power for a really satisfying drive in a Falcon or Commodore sized vehicle...you know how you feel after you've eaten a really good big thick juicy steak ? That's the sort of satisfaction i'm referring too. Someting that satisfies properly without giving you indigestion, or moving away from that metaphor, something that doesn't cause you no end of grief with components beaking or playing up.

A lot of early love for the 250-300 rwkw vote. Can't say i'm surprised by that.
Yeap if you have driven 280+rwkws on a well set NA its plenty of grunt..(swaping cogs)
4hit Rodge 125k! even 105k is overkill I'm my books for a VF GTS, 90k different story..
Mabye this redline's got some big plus's, supercharge it anyway lol(only thing missing)

Have to admit its got some great upgrades over ya stock SS ect, what sorta coin ya looking at buddy..(redline)

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
Old 24-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
I've been wondering for a while how the VF Redline goes and can't resist the temptation to try one out and have finally relented and will be evaluating one tomorrow.

This comes about because not only do I have a bad case of the 3 year itch with my car being 3 years old but I think on paper at least Holden have created a very good package at an attractive price point for this car.

Compared to my MK1 SC GT-P it has a very, very long list of technology that's missing from my car and unlike some others on here, for me personally its never been just about horsepower... technology, driving position, seat comfort, fuel efficiency, handling, chassis strength and other factors come into the equation as well.

I crucial question i will be endeavouring to unpack is this, How much power is the right amount for a large RWD car ? We live in such a draconian era with ever more opressive speed measurement devices, yes even coming to N.Z. from what I hear, 100 k.p.h. speed limits in N.Z. and in my case 98 Octane is $2.33 a litre in N.Z. Central question in my mind is am I willing to trade off about 80 rwkw's in power for a host of new technology in a VF SSV Redline and arguably a better chassis and far sweeter handling package and exactly how good is this VF SSV Redline that the public seem happy to so warmly embrace ? (Apparently its selling extremly well, maybe Joe public knows something many of us on here don't ?).

Having driven all sorts of cars over 37 years my gut feel tells me about 250-270 rwkw's in a sweet handling and extremly well equipped large RWD is the sweet spot for me but we are all different, I am 52 and have high blood pressure and don't feel the need or desire to try and break any track records any more, i'm more than content to leave it to the young fellas on here with fewer other committments to spend the big bucks to try and break the rwkw and quarter mile records. I think I would accept some trade-off in performance for a wide range of new technology and handling improvements but with the average 6.0 V8 Holden running somewhere in the low 200's on most dyno's maybe its a bit too much or a trade off ? On paper the change over price based on estimated wholesale for my car doesn't look too bad at all. Time for a change ?...we will see. I am certain there will be a large number of you young fella's that have trouble identifying with where I'm coming from and that's just fine, you cannot put an old head on young shoulders so I won't try and fully expect the "are you mad, there's no such thing as too much horsepower" comments, but I am looking forward to the more thoughtful responses and poll result. I voted 250-300 rwkw's.
Hey Rodge Ive driven a 270 kw SS redline manual and it was pretty slow! Very refined and quiet but yes didn't even feel as racey as my old mans 2006 Calais 6.0 did.

Thought about a 340kw SV pack R8? One of my friends just got one of these and its a damn nice car, and feels as quick as a 335 GT. She paid 78k here for hers but its fully optioned with the SV pack, sunroof etc. Ive seen standard Clubsports advertised here for $53 k in manual guise. Not bad really considering what you get!!! I'm waiting for the XR8 to come and see what its like (and if its around the 55k mark), otherwise Ill be getting a HSV of some description, cant miss an opportunity to get one of the last aussie made v8s.

Can you take some pics!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 24-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
Motorbreath310

Would it be worth importing one from Australia? We seem to get gouged on prices as far as Holden's and Ford's are concerned. Perhaps see if your warranty would still be valid if you were to import.

A guy on here who just bought a manual GT, brought it in from Melbourne. You would have seen the thread.
Old 24-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
Rodge
Banned

Redline $74K Kiwi retail plus on roads, was quoted $66K Kiwi drive away when i first fiddled with the idea just before Xmas.

HSV Senator with its adjustable suspension $106K Kiwi retail plus On raods, was quoted $99K drive away.

I think the stock power will underwhelm me but its when you look at the estimated change over price this really brings the options into stark contrast when I look at the size of the cheque I might be writing.

Estimated realistic trade in value of my SC GT-P $53K Kiwi.
Estimated changeover to a
Redline SSV $13,000 Add another $8K = ($21,000 total change-over), for the Walkingshaw 310 tune package incl driveline warranty to bring up to circa 250 rwkw's, minimum satisfying power level to me.
HSV Senator $46,000 (R8 doesn't appeal,might as well go a bit extra for the adjustable suspension and classier look of a Senator IMO)
HSV GTS $65,000 ( I have hear talk of $118,000 being the price where deals are being done.), I won't pay that.

Dash if I start taking photo's the salesman will get a bit excitable...will be paying this pretty cool and get the optimum change-over if there's a deal that's going to be done.

Parallel importing, Yes that's something I'm considering as a realistic option on a higher end HSV. Would they honour the warranty, who knows ? I doubt there have been many cases of this before. Lets see if the Redline satisfies first
HSV prices here are stupidy high and were set in mid 2013 when our dollar was 15% weaker than it has been this year.

Last edited by Rodge; 24-02-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 24-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Hey Rodge Ive driven a 270 kw SS redline manual and it was pretty slow! Very refined and quiet but yes didn't even feel as racey as my old mans 2006 Calais 6.0 did.
Probably had crap fuel in it, VFs are definitely quicker than VEs.

Regarding the rest of the package, the Redlines are a good thing. You could put a Redline SS head to head with an R Spec GT and the only thing the GT would really have in its favour is outright point and shoot acceleration. The VF chassis is very well sorted. I think you might initially miss the low & mid range pull of the supercharged V8, it's going to be a personal thing- I wonder if Walkinshaw does their W310 package in NZ (OTR intake, full exhaust, tune & full driveline warranty). I drove a Redline sedan late last year and if there wasn't a 3-4 month wait I would have jumped on it. Compared to a standard SS there's next to no difference to how they drive on standard roads, but it would really come into its own on the right road. They've got a monster rear sway bar and firmer shocks with the staggered tyres, I'd love to thrash one around a track. I've thrashed the guts out of my SS on some of my favourite roads around the Southern beaches of Sydney and it's remarkable how, even though I spent close to $5k on my FG XR6T's suspension, the totally stock SS is a better thing to drive. Coming from the lightly modded FG turbo I'm not left wanting for power, although I enjoy track driving, not drag racing. I voted 200-250 because that's how much my SS would have and, so far, I've had a lot of fun in it without wishing I had more. I do run E85 though which picks up some noticeable ponies. If you only enjoy pointing and shooting, you will wish you never traded the GTP.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Probably had crap fuel in it, VFs are definitely quicker than VEs.

Regarding the rest of the package, the Redlines are a good thing. You could put a Redline SS head to head with an R Spec GT and the only thing the GT would really have in its favour is outright point and shoot acceleration. The VF chassis is very well sorted. I think you might initially miss the low & mid range pull of the supercharged V8, it's going to be a personal thing- I wonder if Walkinshaw does their W310 package in NZ (OTR intake, full exhaust, tune & full driveline warranty). I drove a Redline sedan late last year and if there wasn't a 3-4 month wait I would have jumped on it. Compared to a standard SS there's next to no difference to how they drive on standard roads, but it would really come into its own on the right road. They've got a monster rear sway bar and firmer shocks with the staggered tyres, I'd love to thrash one around a track. I've thrashed the guts out of my SS on some of my favourite roads around the Southern beaches of Sydney and it's remarkable how, even though I spent close to $5k on my FG XR6T's suspension, the totally stock SS is a better thing to drive. Coming from the lightly modded FG turbo I'm not left wanting for power, although I enjoy track driving, not drag racing. I voted 200-250 because that's how much my SS would have and, so far, I've had a lot of fun in it without wishing I had more. I do run E85 though which picks up some noticeable ponies. If you only enjoy pointing and shooting, you will wish you never traded the GTP.
Thanks mate. I put a lot of stock in what you've said on this subject seeing as you're one of the very few guys to take an objective viewpoint based on actual experience. Yeap, the Walkingshaw 310 package incl driveline warranty is avaliable here at $6,990 + GST through Eastern Automotive in Auckland here. I had a chat with one of the directors from Eastern Automotive last week and he's as happy as a pig in mud with his SSV with that package. They use the De Fillipo exhaust system and I would imagine it will sound really good with that system. I'll go and have a listen to his car and a drive if I can get one if the stock car impresses tomorrow.
I think you're right, intially if I make the change I'll probably miss the grunt of the forced induction SC motor for a while but to be honest I was always very happy with the stock power of my BF2 Typhoon and they made about 240 at the treads if my memory serves me correctly ?
This apparent madness of needing more than 300 rwkw's at the treads for normal road use, where do people dispense with that much power on public roads ??? I have really tight twisty roads around where I live and monster power is all but useless, (a point I was trying to make on Wolfie's thread that seemed lost on most), so I think the Redline's well sorted suspension and chassis would be a very sweet package especially with the W310 tune package.

Last edited by Rodge; 24-02-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 24-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #13
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tell me your joking... please

(I don't even put 91 in the lawnmower)
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Wait for the XR8, trust me you wont be disappointed!
Old 24-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing like the excitement of a lot of power, but it comes back to how the car feels and how you feel driving it, and all the accessories and all the power in the world cant make up for that feeling, I have to say for me being lower would be a major downer, but im old and that's just me , good luck with your drive Rodge.
Old 24-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #16
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Re the poll, I think it has to be 250 rwkw's to be truly satsifying to me so that has to include the Walkingshaw 310 package and they told me they tune specifically for 98 Octane fuel so yeah that's answers your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
Wait for the XR8, trust me you wont be disappointed!
I really am trying to wait for that or the Mustang, I really am but can't resist at least have a taste of the red team's fruit. Really I am no different too or better than a spoilt kid in a lolly shop with too much pocket money to spend and am the first to acknowledge that and laugh at myself
Old 24-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
HULK_I6T
Banned

Both are nice cars. Your s/c GT is basically the current model so if it's in good condition why change it for an ss and pay more?

A good mate of mine is a dealer principal and says so many people come and trade in their 3-4 year old cars with 70000-100000km for a new model that doesn't drive any better. They get caught with the gizmos of the newer model, nothing substantive but little features here and their they consider a "must have". Cars today haven't advanced that much substantially, not like the 90s cars did over the 80s cars. It's all gizmos and tech stuff.

Ss-v is a beautiful car, I'd love one myself but if your sitting in a 335 GT keep it.. In a few years time the GT will still be worth more than the SS-v.
Old 24-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #18
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
Both are nice cars. Your s/c GT is basically the current model so if it's in good condition why change it for an ss and pay more?

A good mate of mine is a dealer principal and says so many people come and trade in their 3-4 year old cars with 70000-100000km for a new model that doesn't drive any better. They get caught with the gizmos of the newer model, nothing substantive but little features here and their they consider a "must have". Cars today haven't advanced that much substantially, not like the 90s cars did over the 80s cars. It's all gizmos and tech stuff.

Ss-v is a beautiful car, I'd love one myself but if your sitting in a 335 GT keep it.. In a few years time the GT will still be worth more than the SS-v.
Good points you've made especially the highlighted one and being arguably the top model the SC GT-P and with only 23,000 km's on the clock and fresh good quality rubber there isn't a lot of logic in changing at the present time, I'm happy to acknowledge that.
Its true that manufacturers have been making billions off us hapless enthusiasts that get bored easily and change over on a regular basis ever since the automobile was invented. There's a lot of logic to what you've said so I'll have a good think about things after i've test driven the SSV, (won't rush into anything on the day that's for sure).

Last edited by Rodge; 24-02-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 24-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Having just upgraded from ~300rwkw to over 400rwkw (in the same car). My answer will be 350+

Ford Performance Club of ACT
Old 24-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #20
turbo4me

Quote:

On the weekend I decided to put together a list. Here's the list of stuff in a VF SS-V Redline I noted from Holden's brochure that's either missing from my car or of interest to me compared to my MK1 SC GT-P.
Colour Head Up Display
Forward Collision Alert
Lane Departure Warning
Blind Spot Alert
Active Fuel Management - Cylinder deactivation - This matters when 98 Octane is $2.33 a litre
Satellite Navigation
Reversing Traffic Alert
Rear View Camera
FE3 Sports Suspension
Launch control
Powered lumbar support
Lower seating position
Automatic park assist - doubtful I'd ever use this but might be good for the Mrs
275 rear tyres
Projector headlamps
Rain sensing wipers

There's probably other stuff too, like one touch up and down windows, don;t know, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

What happened to the good old days when you used to drive the car yourself.

I also seen my first GTS on the weekend and now i know where the saying Butt Ugly came from.
Sure is a let down from the VE....IMHO

Last edited by turbo4me; 24-02-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 24-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #21
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo4me View Post
What happened to the good old days when you used to drive the car yourself.
I also seen my first GTS on the weekend and now i know where the saying Butt Ugly came from.
Sure is a let down from the VE....IMHO
Those days are still here, its called FG. I would have liked to have seen adaptive cruise contriol on the list too, just thought I'd mention that for your benifet Do you miss having to wind your own windows down and having to rely on fresh air for ventilation and cooling with no air conditioning ? Technology is progress mate, simple as that IMHO.
Looks are subjective. From some angles they look pretty good IMO.

Last edited by Rodge; 24-02-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 24-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #22
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post

You should, most stationary engines and mowers will suffer massively on premium unleaded compared to 91. I have heard many cases where two tanks of 98 have killed such engines due to running too hot with the higher octane fuel. Any mower/stationary engine mechanic will tell you to most definitely not run premium in any such devices.
Old 24-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #23
Rodge
Banned

Thanks Trev but i'm far more interested in your thoughts on this possible change-over.

Its been bloody hard to get a demo drive in a SSV-Redline in N.Z., they've been selling like hot cakes and not staying on the demo line whenever very rarely available so i was very pleased to hear the biggest local dealer had one available for demo tomorrow but just got this e.mail late this afternoon N.Z. time
Quote:
Hi Roger,just been informed that it has been Sold,we will be putting on a replacement asap,will let you know,Cheers
Bloody annoying. I'll ring around the other dealers tomorrow and see what they've got on line.
Old 24-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #24
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I test drove a VF Redline ute...it felt great, good drive, certainly some V8 aura, quick enough, solid, lots of gadgets, confident in corners. Everything looks great except I hate the front of the VF, thats my subjective opionion. Recently, was in a new Caprice, gadget land. Silver, powdercoated wheels, Walkinshaw exhaust, sounded lovely. Interiors have certainly moved on cosmetically though FG2 with it's mid-dash television screen was half way there, looked ridiculous when they first came out now they're everywhere. End result is I climb back into my 'yesterday' tech FG2, and realize i don't need all that crap. Of course, I'm also someone that would happily ditch power steering I like driving my car MYSELF, I'm not interested in being any further removed from the experience. I'd turn my head rather than having a beep tell me off. I'll look down at the speedo rather than have a fancy **** HUD. I LIKE being alert when I'm driving not cossetting myself in blankets of she'll be right mate (I'm surprised its ok to eat peanuts in a VF). Even the FG is just so all round good it's almost BORING in many respects. But, that lovely lump under the bonnet makes me happy from ignition on to ignition off. What might make me upgrade? Looks. If the new Falcon is a successful looking redesign, that'd be tempting. But no V8 ute :( I'm sticking with my program. This isn't anti-VF in any way. Great car just not my cup of tea.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 24-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #25
Rodge
Banned

Appreciate your feedback, everyone is different, I really liked the HUD in the BMW I was fortunate to drive last year. Adaptive cruise was also very nice on the long country drive I took it on and the ZF8 is surely the world's best automatic gearbox by two country miles but far and away the best feature was the 5 way adaptive suspension and chassis strength of the 750i motor sport. Off the charts better than anything out of Australia, unfortunatly so is the price. I've tried to find one in the U.K to parallel import but its all but impossible to find one, all they seem to sell over there is the diesel model.
A highly involving driving experience and state of the art technology are not necessarily mutually exclusive things IMO. I guess the best case in point of this in terms of Australian production is the HSV GTS which out pointed the highly regarded Mercedes-Benz E63S in a track test run by Wheels last year. Maybe they are worth the money being asked for them ?
If I can't get a drive in a Redline soon I might have to tempt fate on a GTS or a Senator.

Last edited by Rodge; 24-02-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 24-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #26
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

Colour Head Up Display
Forward Collision Alert
Lane Departure Warning
Blind Spot Alert
Satellite Navigation
Reversing Traffic Alert
Rear View Camera
FE3 Sports Suspension
Launch control
Powered lumbar support
Lower seating position
275 rear tyres
Projector headlamps
Rain sensing wipers

well got every price of petrol, but can you get E25~E85 ??
and at what price?
Old 24-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #27
Rodge
Banned

Not sure how that's relevant to the thread ? but I think E85 is available at limited stations in some parts of Auckland, nowhere handy to where I live. Not sure on price but it won't be anything like as cheap as you guys can get it for in Australia.

Last edited by Rodge; 24-02-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 24-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #28
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Not sure how that's relevant to the thread ? but I think E85 is available at limited stations in some parts of Auckland, nowhere handy to where I live. Not sure on price but it won't be anything like as cheap as you guys can get it for in Australia.
well the relevance is cheap horse power, your opening post suggest price of fuel and poll relates to power.
Old 24-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #29
Rodge
Banned

Okay, if you don't mind, lets leave the type of fuel and its impact on horsepower for a different thread.
Old 24-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #30
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

If you put 250-300rwkw you will need to get a 340 R8 or the GTS, the rest of the red teams cars will be under 250 killa wasps at the wheels. That is unless you get a tune, which is unlikely.
Whilst the itch needs to be scratched dropping back to Holden from FPV is a step backwards in terms of status, just get a Jag and be done with it. The VF is a step forward in terms of what can be had in a car I dont think you will be truly happy after the initial new car feeling wears off. The interior is not as great as ost would have you believe. The back of the VF is a sea of cheap black plastics, same goes for the door jambs. Its not as hard wearing as the FG. It all looks very nice but thats where it stops. FG is dated now in comparison but not in actually quality. FG1 to FG2 there were quite a few interior parts that were changed for better quality.
As much as I would like to say wait for the XR8 but I dont think that will work for you either. It will be lacking in Tech, not much of an upgrade, will have the same engine and wont be priced right in NZ. Get the Jag.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Closed Thread