Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford production to fall to 80 cars a day

From GoAuto
Ford production to fall to 80 cars a day

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257C7F001D873F

Quote:

Ford Slowing down: Ford’s build rate at its Broadmeadows plant was 450 cars a day in 2006 – until it announced in October that year that it was cutting 20 per cent from this. From June 2014, the daily line rate will be down to 80-90 cars.
Slowing down: Ford’s build rate at its Broadmeadows plant was 450 cars a day in 2006 – until it announced in October that year that it was cutting 20 per cent from this. From June 2014, the daily line rate will be down to 80-90 cars.
Line rate for Ford’s Broadmeadows plant to drop to as low as 80 cars a day from June
[Munched]
14 February 2014
By TERRY MARTIN
FORD will cut the line rate at its Broadmeadows assembly plant in Victoria to as low as 80 vehicles a day in June as the company continues to realign production to the dwindling demand for its Australian-built vehicles.

Ford Australia has told GoAuto that the line rate will be reduced to between 80 and 90 vehicles a day at the factory, having already cut back its output in January to 133 cars a day while at the same time shifting some of its workforce onto its new-model programs.

Last year, the company was producing cars at a rate of 149 vehicles a day, which is the level set in November 2012 when the company pulled back from 209 cars a day and reduced its workforce by 330, most of which were forced redundancies.

Only eight years ago, the build rate at Broadmeadows was 450 cars a day – or 65 cars an hour – but it has been spiralling downward since then.

As previously reported, this latest action comes at a cost of another 300 jobs, cutting the payroll numbers at the company’s major sites at Broadmeadows and Geelong to about 700.

Although January sales are notoriously slow, both the Falcon sedan and Territory SUV fell 41 per cent last month, to just 461 and 681 units respectively, while 237 new Falcon utilities were registered.

Last year, Ford sold only 10,610 Falcon sedans, down 24 per cent on 2012, the ute was below 5000 units on 4679 (down 18 per cent) and Territory managed 14,261 sales (down 3 per cent). All up, sales across the three model lines totalled less than 30,000 units.

Ford Australia communications and public affairs director Wes Sherwood said February sales were continuing to reflect weak demand for the large vehicles the company produces.

However, he would not be drawn on whether the adjusted line rate of 80 vehicles a day was as low as the company could manage, potentially forcing it to close down its manufacturing operations earlier than the planned shutdown in October 2016.

“We’re not really getting into details of our manufacturing plans,” he said.

“We plan to manufacture our vehicles until October 2016 – that is still our plan – but if there are some sort of major disruptions across our operations or something in the market, then we may have to go back and re-evaluate our plans.

“Our focus, really, is to help ensure an orderly transition in the industry – for our employees, for our suppliers – so that’s really where we’re focused on. Obviously, there are manufacturing implications, but in terms of what our focus is on, we’re trying to do what’s right for the industry and our employees.”

Mr Sherwood would not comment on the extent to which Ford’s parts suppliers remained viable over the next two years, especially in the wake of Toyota’s announcement this week that it was following Holden in shutting down its factories here in 2017.

However, he said Ford Australia would continue to work with its supply chain to help ensure supplies continued until 2016.

“Really, what we are looking for is as smooth a transition as possible, understanding that there are going to be difficulties and watching for any major disruptions,” he said.

“As part of helping ensure an orderly transition for the entire industry, a key part of that is working with the suppliers to make sure they can support our intent to manufacture through October 2016.

“I don’t want to get into characterising our ongoing discussions, but that is the focus of what we talk to them about.”

In terms of the pressure now ramping up on all three car-makers, with calls this week for import tariffs to be removed and taxpayer funding received in recent years to be handed back, Mr Sherwood said Ford was a different case to Toyota and Holden in that it would still have a significant workforce in Australia after it closed down its manufacturing operations.

“The thing we’re trying to emphasise is that Ford is actually different,” he said.

“We have, and plan to still have, a significant engineering and design ... operations base into the future.

“In fact, assuming all the actions that have been announced take place (with Toyota and Holden), we will be Australia’s largest employer for the type of highly skilled engineering and design jobs of which we have approximately 1000 of those.

“So our emphasis is really on helping the public understand that difference because we are absolutely committed to this market and we think, unfortunately, people are discussing it as if the companies are all in the same situation when, in fact, we’re not.”

Ford Slowing down: Ford’s build rate at its Broadmeadows plant was 450 cars a day in 2006 – until it announced in October that year that it was cutting 20 per cent from this. From June 2014, the daily line rate will be down to 80-90 cars.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Ford production to fall to 80 cars a day

Wow. I remember when they were doing 520 a day.........

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad days indeed, to be expected though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Wasn't this announced a couple of weeks ago or whatever...?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Wasn't this announced a couple of weeks ago or whatever...?
yep, here

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11413387
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If people aren't buying them, what do you expect?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Is this a combination of sedan / ute and terri ?
So @ 25 of each per day. What's the split. Has falcon dived under 40 per day ?
Production til 2016, how and why at this rate ?
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I remember when I visited the Mitsubishi plant in their final years and was on the assembly line I said to the SQA "oh so they are on a break?" as the assembly line appeared to be stationary. On closer inspection the line was moving but at a snails pace. It was disheartening to see as I remember the same place 10 years earlier was doing 280+ cars a days. I suspect the Ford plant would look equally depressing at 80 cars per day.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
From GoAuto

Ford Australia communications and public affairs director Wes Sherwood said February sales were continuing to reflect weak demand for the large vehicles the company produces.

However, he would not be drawn on whether the adjusted line rate of 80 vehicles a day was as low as the company could manage, potentially forcing it to close down its manufacturing operations earlier than the planned shutdown in October 2016.
“We’re not really getting into details of our manufacturing plans,” he said.

“We plan to manufacture our vehicles until October 2016 – that is still our plan – but if there are some sort of major disruptions across our operations or something in the market, then we may have to go back and re-evaluate our plans.
Two pretty big statements in there that leads me to believe that Ford will close well before the 2016 date.

Especially with only producing 80 cars a day which would be unsustainable.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
SavVYute

One of these Fords being built now could be a good buy. Things going a bit slower along the line theres more time to assemble one with more care / less rush.
Or don't assembly lines work that way?
SavVYute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavVYute View Post
One of these Fords being built now could be a good buy. Things going a bit slower along the line theres more time to assemble one with more care / less rush.
Or don't assembly lines work that way?
Fewer people, and more things to do per person in more time.

In theory quality should be the same but who knows ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I remember when I visited the Mitsubishi plant in their final years and was on the assembly line I said to the SQA "oh so they are on a break?" as the assembly line appeared to be stationary. On closer inspection the line was moving but at a snails pace. It was disheartening to see as I remember the same place 10 years earlier was doing 280+ cars a days. I suspect the Ford plant would look equally depressing at 80 cars per day.
At 12 cars an hour or so, with a car every 10 metres (just a guess from observation of holdens line 6 years ago), the line will be running at around 120 metres per hour, 2 metres per minute, they may be able to keep one guy employed cranking the line.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post

...but less people to do the same amount of assembly work.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And done by people who know that in the "shockingly short notice period" of three fricking years that they won't have a job.

I mean, you'd hope they're going to do the right thing, but history shows what happens when a workforce has a loooong time notice that they won't have a job...think British Leyland, etc. Quality just goes downhill...fast.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #15
SavVYute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post

If that was the case the guys would be running back and forward along the line to different assembly stations. I can't really see that happening.

Maybe they clock on in the morning and are all done by smoko.
Old 17-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
SavVYute

I'm going to be an optimist. I think the vehicles they're building now will be better than average. Real gems with just that bit more care taken.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #17
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have mentioned before that if things get really bad they might actually close down sooner than later.....Any of the BIG 3 of them that is.

BIG news like this changes peoples perceptions of the economy and it also makes people spend less and save more knowing that the future is bleak, so new cars are the first on the list of budgeting/saving for the future.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
shaynet84
HIGHONPSI

why would anyone buy them when there not ever advertised , its self destruction , ford usa have wanted to shut shop here for years ,
shaynet84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #19
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Umm...yeah...
But a significant number of magnas were being exported to the US as a "Daimante" (some times more than 200 a day)
They didn't get an export contract with the 380.
Was one of the main reasons they went down the gurgler...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #20
Trump
bitch lasagne

FH won't see the light of day with numbers like those.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #21
rdmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
And done by people who know that in the "shockingly short notice period" of three fricking years that they won't have a job.

I mean, you'd hope they're going to do the right thing, but history shows what happens when a workforce has a loooong time notice that they won't have a job...think British Leyland, etc. Quality just goes downhill...fast.
So sick of this crap. You'd hope the average Aussie would stick up for his mate in a time of crisis but you get this. Quality won't suffer as those that are left are dedicated, passionate and veterans.
Seriously if you think otherwise go buy a Korean car and **** off from here.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #22
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmr View Post
So sick of this crap. You'd hope the average Aussie would stick up for his mate in a time of crisis but you get this. Quality won't suffer as those that are left are dedicated, passionate and veterans.
All new cars go thru final inspection area and get ticked off on completion. If someone is'nt doing job properly they literally get told to pick there game up.

I am hoping this is what will happen up the slow down up to 2016/17.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #23
blackwasp

Quote:
this is true! when boeing aerospace in sydney packed up and moved to melbourne( announced in march 2010). by the time it was all done and dusted in 2013, the last 3 years were the best ever on record for scrap due to f.o.d, escapes and re-work.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #24
minheim

Maybe the low rate also reflects the fact that people are holding off purchases until the new model arrives and the recent large bad news announcements on manufacturing generally. Hopefully things will pick up as the year progresses and FH production starts. I think production quality will also stay solid; the Mitsubishi 380s have proven to be quality cars notwithstanding the long tales of doom that haunted their production and I'm sure the workers will maintain the pride in their work.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Our friends from FordPR were on a while ago saying the articles were incorrect, the rate is actually 90 per day, not 80.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #26
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Quality won't suffer as those that are left are dedicated, passionate and veterans.
I seriously hope you are correct but if using the example of a similar situation my brother was in it proved the opposite.....

The dedicated passionate veterans (the smart ones) all left early, they knew they had to provide for a family/future and went on the hunt for new employment at the get go, those that where left where the same ones my brother had had to keep kicking in the **** for years to keep them moving or getting to work on time, the best of the bunch had left long before closing time....(Edit: they had 12 months notice that the shop would be shutting up)

The point I'm making is those that are smart, those that know they have responsibilities to a family's future or their own will be looking for secure employment now, not on closing day, and it is usually those responsible types that make up the better part of a workforce....

Again, I hope you are right....but!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #27
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Our friends from FordPR were on a while ago saying the articles were incorrect, the rate is actually 90 per day, not 80.
Phew! That's much better

And to those questioning the release of the FH - it will happen. Ford will have to pay back the government grants that were given especially for it if it doesn't eventuate.

I think though, they will close up pretty soon after. Oct 2016 is a distant dream, especially when you have your PR guy providing a caveat like that.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

another example of you talking out of your ***

hey wow! i was recently made redundant in vehicle manuf

we all knew the tap on the shoulder was coming

we didnt care, we were smashing out the highest quality vehicles right until the end with pride
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #29
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
I seriously hope you are correct but if using the example of a similar situation my brother was in it proved the opposite.....

The dedicated passionate veterans (the smart ones) all left early, they knew they had to provide for a family/future and went on the hunt for new employment at the get go, those that where left where the same ones my brother had had to keep kicking in the **** for years to keep them moving or getting to work on time, the best of the bunch had left long before closing time....(Edit: they had 12 months notice that the shop would be shutting up)

The point I'm making is those that are smart, those that know they have responsibilities to a family's future or their own will be looking for secure employment now, not on closing day, and it is usually those responsible types that make up the better part of a workforce....

Again, I hope you are right....but!
Um what a load of crap....

One could equally argue a smart responsible person would stay to the end to receive all the financial entitlements rather than throwing them away to chase a new job.

Of course, had they had the "better qualities" of a work force, gaining employment at any later time shouldn't be a problem.

I can also unconditionally tell you a company like this has already flushed its "dead wood" and will continue to remove the least value added employees first, keeping the best to the end. They still have a business to run and with a leaner crew its vitally important to have the right people remaining. A smart firm WILL NOT allow the best go first.

In the case of the car firms, do you really expect folks to throw away an average of 150-200k net payouts. When does the average folk get an opportunity to HOLD 150-200k net in their hand ???
It goes much further than working 2-5yrs elsewhere to earn it in gross form.
Only the dumb would not agree.

Finally, everyone should have a little more faith in the mindsets / attitudes of the remaining workforce left to build the last of.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN

Last edited by fte50; 17-02-2014 at 10:55 PM.
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Another Einstein post by you. What a shock. If anything quality has become more of a priority now that the numbers have dropped, and the dead wood was cleaned out 18 months ago leaving a solid crew of the best and most experienced.

But you know better right?

And do you think it's better to know you will be losing your job in the future, but who knows when, having it constantly running through your thoughts day after day or to have it done on the spot where you get a clean break and the chance to move onto a new job the next day.

Walk a mile in someones elses shoes you absolute tool.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post