Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2005, 01:54 AM   #1
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Default Paint protection, anybody done it?

I have been thinking about using some paint protection on my car.
I have looked at a few systems, but wonder if it is worthwhile doing.

Your comments, suggestions and experiences please.

Here are a couple I have been looking at.

http://www.paintprotection.com.au/index.php

http://www.toughseal.com.au/index.htm

Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Got it, like it, have had it on past 10 cars. Not sure of brand. My tinter does it for me. Ming I think.

Dealers charge murderous prices for it.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
f6xer

I rang the NMRA and RACQ and they told me that the car manufactors spend a lot of time and money devloping paints and they dont need protection. If your are giong to keep your car under cover your paint should last longer than you might intend owning the car. Get as much info on the product befor you buy. There are some great polishes on the market that will the job just as well and dont cost as much.
f6xer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
RapidTypLady
RapidTypLady

For our Typhoon we had the Dealer charge us and say that they did it but they didn't. When she was washed she never beaded.

I rang my detailer and he did it for us and she looks a treat. It only cost us $260.00 and she beads beautifully. I wash our car every weekend!

He has also done my daughters car which is metallic and that too has come up just awesome!

:

MODS SO FAR

Herrod Zorst, Herrod BOV, Herrod Suresix, Herrod Lowered Springs,
BMC Hi-Flow Filter,

Xtreme High flow cat, Xtreme 4"
dump pipe, Xtreme Ceramic Clutch, Bigger Injectors, Xtreme Edit & Tune

300+rwkw :
RapidTypLady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6xer
I rang the NMRA and RACQ and they told me that the car manufactors spend a lot of time and money devloping paints and they dont need protection. If your are giong to keep your car under cover your paint should last longer than you might intend owning the car. Get as much info on the product befor you buy. There are some great polishes on the market that will the job just as well and dont cost as much.
What a crock the first three lines of that post is
No matter what paint it is, It needs protection and regular maintenance including cleansing, glazing and sometimes polishing but there are some scratch resistant (not scratch proof) paints being used on prestige cars

Don't get it done by dealers though, DIY is best and far cheaper
I have known of GLARE for a few years now but have never dared to try it
Nothing will last five years
Friends in the USA have tried the polish and it caused marring.
I'd say the glare sealant would work and last up to one year if applied a couple of times

On the glare website, they claim that you can not get sufficient gloss from water based paints. How untrue.
Machine polishing can deliver unbelievable results on any paint finish

In february next year when I am in melbourne, I will be seeing a few detail shops that use toughseal paint protection.
There are a few shops that sell it here in adelaide, it is an acrylic that contains teflon.
Teflon in general is just a gimmick as a paint protector. It would need to be applied at 600 F to actually bond and create a protective layer
In my experience of some sealants that supposedly contain teflon, I found that water spots/acid rain never can do any damage.

Any sealant that is acrylic or super polymer should be top quality
Some paint sealants will increase the gloss but not by much.
For instance, to get great depth, applying four coats of Klasse over a few days will do it.

I highly recommend and use the following

KLASSE - Acrylic (germany)
4 Star UPP - Super polymer (USA)
4 Star UPP spray - super polymer spray (USA)
Menzerna FMJ - Acrylic/Super Polymer (USA)
Wolfgang DGPS - super polymer (USA)
Detailers Pride spray shield - super polymer and brazillian carnauba wax (USA)
Poorboys World EXP + - amino resin (USA)
Poorboys wheel sealant (USA)
Autoglym extra gloss protection (england)
Omikron Bodyseal - standard polymer (australia)
Autosmart silverseal - polymer (australia & uk)
Soft 99 fusso coat - TBC - (JAPAN)
Dinitrol 7020 polish & sealant (sweden)

top quality sealers I do not have yet

Gelson clear coat seal - polymer (italy)
Ultra gloss polish & sealant - polymer
Zaino - unknown (usa)
Mothers reflections top coat - unknown (USA)

All these will not leave powder residue, the cheap outdated ones including many australian made brands are really powdery
If you do decide to DIY - do not use cheesecloth to remove it
It can scratch the paintwork and leave residue all over your fingers.

There are some other brands of sealants that I am looking at purchasing but will have to wait until mid 06
two to four even coats of any sealant will achieve a super slick finish with excellent depth
To further enhance it, apply a few coats of a pure carnuaba wax for a true show car finish
The wax will absorb any acid rain/water spots
For best results, leave any sealant on for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours
Old 07-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i had magic seal done on my AU sedan, it stopped beading after about 4 months
Old 07-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
SVR73
Mr Polish

That's about the usual time for a standard polymer and some super polymer sealants
Six to eight months is possible with some super polymers, twelve is what Klasse and Zaino offer and not only that but chip resistancy, shrink proof, scratch resistance and the ability to be used on plastic, vinyl, brass, copper, ceramic tiles, slate floors, shower screens, glass, stainless steel and other metals, wheels and much more
Old 10-12-2005, 03:59 AM   #8
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
That's about the usual time for a standard polymer and some super polymer sealants
Six to eight months is possible with some super polymers, twelve is what Klasse and Zaino offer and not only that but chip resistancy, shrink proof, scratch resistance and the ability to be used on plastic, vinyl, brass, copper, ceramic tiles, slate floors, shower screens, glass, stainless steel and other metals, wheels and much more
Thanks, SVR73. You seem to know alot about paint protection, what do you do for a crust?

Klasse sounds the go. Where do you get it from?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I had it done to the AU when brand new & it last a few months, so i got it done again using a different brand & it lasted a little longer. So now i do it myself & it last a lot longer using go old wax.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:43 AM   #10
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

I am washing the car at least once a week and I am waxing it about every two weeks. I was thinking about paint protection as a preventative measure against bird droppings, tree sap and scratches and chips.

If a treatment would last 6 months, I would consider that good if it meant I didn't have to wax all the time and it would offer REAL protection. I just wanna know if any of them actually work.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default car care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbler
Thanks, SVR73. You seem to know alot about paint protection, what do you do for a crust?

Klasse sounds the go. Where do you get it from?
I get it in 1 litre size from hawaii
Old 11-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #12
CarBroker
Banned

Quote:
No matter what paint it is, It needs protection and regular maintenance including cleansing, glazing and sometimes polishing but there are some scratch resistant (not scratch proof) paints being used on prestige cars.
Which prestige cars? Not BMW, that's for sure. Their paint goes downhill just like any oter car's right from day 1.

Quote:
I have known of GLARE for a few years now but have never dared to try it. Nothing will last five years. Friends in the USA have tried the polish and it caused marring. I'd say the glare sealant would work and last up to one year if applied a coupl of times.
YOu seem to know a lot about it given you have never used it. I have it on my cars and have personally applied it. How your friends in the USA managed to get marring is a complete mystery to me...? Maybe that's why the kit comes with the application gear. If you buy it in the US, all you get is a bottle and a wish of "good luck".

Quote:
On the glare website, they claim that you can not get sufficient gloss from water based paints. How untrue. Machine polishing can deliver unbelievable results on any paint finish
I assume you are talking about removing the clear coat here...? In any case, if you had been in detailing for over 20 years (as the guy how stated this has) you would remember what car pain *used to* look like. I went up to Sydney to see him and he pointed out plenty of brand new cars with shocking paint. Some take his cars straight from delivery over to his shop for fixing (with GLARE).[/QUOTE]

Quote:
In february next year when I am in melbourne, I will be seeing a few detail shops that use toughseal paint protection.
Been there done that. That's why I go with GLARE.

Quote:
Teflon in general is just a gimmick as a paint protector. It would need to be applied at 600 F to actually bond and create a protective layer In my experience of some sealants that supposedly contain teflon, I found that water spots/acid rain never can do any damage.
As it says on paintprotection.com.au: Even DuPont says Teflon has no protective properties as far as paint protection.

As far as resins and waxes (including Klasse etc.): These products are not optically transparent. Glare is. Just like Ming Enviroshield (but at a fraction of the cost).
CarBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #13
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBroker
Which prestige cars? Not BMW, that's for sure. Their paint goes downhill just like any oter car's right from day 1.

I assume you are talking about removing the clear coat here...? In any case, if you had been in detailing for over 20 years (as the guy who stated this has) you would remember what car paint *used to* look like. I went up to Sydney to see him and he pointed out plenty of brand new cars with shocking paint. Some take his cars straight from delivery over to his shop for fixing (with GLARE).
Machine buffing doesn't necessarily mean removing clear.
Using vanilla, red and yellow moose gives a deep, wet, mirror shine but does not remove any clear.
It's only when you get down to compounds and polishes from 1000-2000 grit where you are removing paint.

New cars paintwork is not perfect. They need machine buffing albeit light to make them really nice.
reflection is nothing without depth

As far as resins and waxes (including Klasse etc.): These products are not optically transparent. Glare is. Just like Ming Enviroshield (but at a fraction of the cost).[/QUOTE]

They are great sealants
Klasse, zaino and others really do work and last a damn long time too.
I will definately give the new glare sealant a whirl in the new year, it might turn out to be brilliant
Old 13-12-2005, 12:07 AM   #14
GT-E

Thanks for the info.
I have just bought the Glare product for my new car as it beats paying the dealer $1295 for a lesser product (ming).
GT-E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
Fairmonty_Python
Jesus drove a Falcon

Paint protection is a crock of BS. It is just a form of polish they put on & charge you mega bucks for. Get a good quality polish & apply it every 6 months or so & you will have the same protection for a fraction of the price.

ED Fairmont Cobalt Mica lowered Pedders Springs, Monroe shocks, CD, amp, 6 speakers, 2 1/2" Redback System, tint ......"LSD"....yummm. it: it: it: it:
Fairmonty_Python is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post