Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Labrat
Starter Motor

Default Advise about insurance claim needed.

Just recently my wife's car was run into writing it off.
I'm told by the assessor that it will be a statutory write-off, which I believe means that it will be unable to be re-registered again.
Having not being involved in an insurance claim for twenty years, I'm not sure as to the processes involved.

If I take the payout and opt to buy the wreck, will they insist on claiming the unused portion of the registration?
The car is driveable but the rear bumper is pushed right in preventing the tailgate from opening. Would it be legal for me to drive it home? It is still registered.

If no, do they deliver the wreck, or is that an extra cost?

I would like to buy another car of the same model and year and keep the wreck for a source of parts.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would have have preferred not to be in this situation, it is very difficult to take the family to the movies, scouts etc using the company 2 seater.

Wayne.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: Advise about insurance claim needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
Just recently my wife's car was run into writing it off.
I'm told by the assessor that it will be a statutory write-off, which I believe means that it will be unable to be re-registered again.
Having not being involved in an insurance claim for twenty years, I'm not sure as to the processes involved.

If I take the payout and opt to buy the wreck, will they insist on claiming the unused portion of the registration?
The car is driveable but the rear bumper is pushed right in preventing the tailgate from opening. Would it be legal for me to drive it home? It is still registered.

If no, do they deliver the wreck, or is that an extra cost?

I would like to buy another car of the same model and year and keep the wreck for a source of parts.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would have have preferred not to be in this situation, it is very difficult to take the family to the movies, scouts etc using the company 2 seater.

Wayne.
What state are you in? What sort of car - year model etc.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the insurance company pay out, they keep the wreck which then goes to tender usually.
They may give you the option to buy back the wreck.
You can drive it providing it's roadworthy, all lights still work etc, but if the damage is dangerous to pedestrians then know you cant.
Of course this depends on your states rules and regs, they're all different.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Labrat
Starter Motor

I'm in NSW. It is probably best not to go into detail as the claim is still being processed.
Yes. It is a Ford. A lovely car, and I will get another just like it again.

Wayne
Old 02-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Had my BA written off in January.
Repairable write off.
Gave me option of buying car for a grand.
Passed it up as had too much going on.
Delivery cost was mine to pay and registration was cancelled.
Don't think yours will be registered if you buy it back, and your insurance policy is cancelled once you get a payout.
Best to get towed to your place.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
You can drive it providing it's roadworthy,
are you sure. If its 'written off', then i thought the rules these days meant thats the end of its life on the road.

edit - here's a link to NSW laws regarding write off's
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/regi...itten-off.html
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The definition vary from state to state, but I don't understand how it could be a statutory write-off. That category is generally reserved for cars that have been submerged, burnt, stripped, or have serious structural defects.

Generally you do not get to buy the wreck. They will send it to a salvage auction and you have to buy it back at auction.

You can cancel the rego, return the plates, and get a refund any time you like. Its never refunded to the insurer because its not in their name.

What is however an absolute rort is that they will keep the balance of any premium paid, even if you just renewed for a year.

As a general rule the auctions will not allow you to drive a salvage vehicle away.
Furthermore, if you have left the plates on, they will typically remove them, and eventually hand them back to the transport authority.
There will be towies on hand at the auctions who will give you a price to deliver your car, or just grab a trailer from somewhere.

Keep in mind though, that depending on your car, its age, and availability of parts, wrecks can go anywhere from a couple of hundred to several thousand.
If you have an old AU or BA, and want a car for spares, you can pick up one with minimal damage for a few hundred.
But I have seen late model 4wds, rolled with no useable panels, go for several thousand.
NB: if yours has rear damage only it will be in demand, as most salvage cars have front damage, so parts like headlights, bonnets, and front bars are hard to come by.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #8
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'm in NSW. It is probably best not to go into detail as the claim is still being processed.
Yes. It is a Ford. A lovely car, and I will get another just like it again.

Wayne
The only reason I ask about the model etc is in NSW you can re-register some cars if they have some sort of significance. They assess it on a case by case basis.

Once the car is written off it can no longer be driven on the road at all. The VIN number is cancelled. You can't apply for permits or anything to drive it home.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With your rego check the PDS. Most insurance comapnies cash the rego in.

No such thing as a economical write off in NSW, all cars are stat write off.

Insurance will not deliver the car and it shoul not be released from the holding yard unless you have a trailer or tow truck.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #10
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Generally...
Statutory write offs can never be re registered.
Repairable write offs can be re registered after an inspection...much more detailed than a Roadworthy one but.
There are exceptions for hail damage and classic type cars and rules vary by state.

An insurance company may sell you the wreck, you must talk to their assessor. If your bid is reasonable they can save money by not having to send it to a capital city auction yard and paying storage and auction fees. I have bought several of my own cars as wrecks this way. The assessor knows what an auction will bring for each model eg a white falcon with some useable panels are wanted by taxis and are a grand or two more than red falcons of similar damage.

Once you claim the insurance company owns the car. It usually gets towed to a yard, then to a panel beater on a standard policy...towing anywhere else will be your expense. You cannot drive a car out of the yard...I get my cars towed to my place straight after an accident, then if its a write off its already here. Most yards and towies will do a "cashie" so long as they deliver when it suits them for less than $80 so don't bother with a trailer. Most hire trailers are not heavy enough and are underbraked to carry a falcon legally. A tilt tray is far easier.

As said the rego is your problem. You may as well cancel it and get some coin back. It will eventually get cancelled as the paperwork goes thru the system.

If your car is not in a yard, then it can be driven subject to roadworthiness at your own risk but I doubt it will be insured as you have already claimed.

Once a car is written off that policy ends, wether its day 1 or day 363 of the year. New car has new VIN and new policy.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Wayne.
Generally most insurance companies will let you buy the wreck, usually saves them extra fees of disposing of it, just inquire with them about purchasing it.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

i'm guessing due to the mention of 'tailgate not closing' and that its the family car and a ford, its either a falcon or mondeo wagon or a territory or smaller suv.

unless there is something specific that you like about them, its hardly worth messing about buying the wreck. just take the money and try to find something new (new to you) that fits the bill.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #13
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You mentioned that you are having trouble in transporting your family at the moment. If the other party was at fault, then they have a liability to provide you some transport until your claim is settled.

I suggest you talk to your assessor to organise a hire car till the claim is settled.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
You mentioned that you are having trouble in transporting your family at the moment. If the other party was at fault, then they have a liability to provide you some transport until your claim is settled.
No, they don't.

Quote:
I suggest you talk to your assessor to organise a hire car till the claim is settled.
Never going to happen.
If you want a hire car, you need to include it in your policy, and pay the extra premium.

Besides, if the car is a write-off, you can generally get the money reasonably quickly.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:26 AM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
An insurance company may sell you the wreck, you must talk to their assessor. If your bid is reasonable they can save money by not having to send it to a capital city auction yard and paying storage and auction fees. I have bought several of my own cars as wrecks this way. The assessor knows what an auction will bring for each model eg a white falcon with some useable panels are wanted by taxis and are a grand or two more than red falcons of similar damage.
Unless there is something uber special about your car (that only YOU know about) its almost pointless doing this.
I understand that it FEELS like there is some advantage, but the point is that if you EVER want a wreck, you can go and buy one.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 AM   #16
MrEL
Sick Puppy

You can do a deal with the insurance company to buy it back before it goes to auction.
Yep if the other party is at fault you can hit their insurance up fora tental car.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
You can do a deal with the insurance company to buy it back before it goes to auction.
Yep if the other party is at fault you can hit their insurance up fora tental car.
In this case you will need to pay for the hire car yourself and supply receipts and a reason why you needed a hire car.

And even then you may not get your money back.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #18
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's not a repairable write off, then i'd want to know what the irreparable damage is. There could be a safety concern with driving it home.

If it's a rare car I understand you may want to keep it for parts, but if not, do you really want a wreck rusting away in your front yard?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
If it's not a repairable write off, then i'd want to know what the irreparable damage is. There could be a safety concern with driving it home.

If it's a rare car I understand you may want to keep it for parts, but if not, do you really want a wreck rusting away in your front yard?
There is no longer any repairable writes off in NSW. All cars are deemed as stat write offs.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #20
T MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
In this case you will need to pay for the hire car yourself and supply receipts and a reason why you needed a hire car.

And even then you may not get your money back.
or contact right 2 drive. http://www.right2drive.com.au/

if your not at fault they will loan you a car untill the insaurance pays out,
they loan you the car and bill the at faults insaurance .

used them twice and they are great to deal with.
T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #21
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Unless there is something uber special about your car (that only YOU know about) its almost pointless doing this.
I understand that it FEELS like there is some advantage, but the point is that if you EVER want a wreck, you can go and buy one.

Not Uber special...just Taxi special.

I buy my own cars for parts as I know exactly what is in them and how many kms they have done. Sooner or later I use nearly everything except the engine and frame.

My last FG 2010 500000km ex taxi is now a 2014 FG2 XR6 with 61000kms for the princely sum of $3000 and some sweat thanks to a timely wreck that popped up locally.

I agree a wreck is not really that useful for most people but the OP did want to keep his.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #22
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
No, they don't.

Never going to happen.
If you want a hire car, you need to include it in your policy, and pay the extra premium.

Besides, if the car is a write-off, you can generally get the money reasonably quickly.
Crazy, I suggest you review the Tort of Negligence. This is one reason why there is a liability component to most motor insurance policies.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #23
Doreturnonfoot

I would get it tilt tray back home a asap - it is your car. My previous experience is this is the best way to go coz the panel beater charges you a daily storage fee and when it is home you have total control of it. You can also get any accessories of it not covered by insurance etc.
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #24
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T MAN View Post
or contact right 2 drive. http://www.right2drive.com.au/

if your not at fault they will loan you a car untill the insaurance pays out,
they loan you the car and bill the at faults insaurance .

used them twice and they are great to deal with.
Well that's all well and good until something goes wrong and the at fault party is in #### because something has happened.

The best way to describe these companies is ambulance chasers.

They are basically solicitors who will work for you, but if things don't go your way, liability is disputed etc then basically you are responsible for the legal fees they charge and any other cost that are associated with this. I have seen it happenany many times.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #25
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreturnonfoot View Post
I would get it tilt tray back home a asap - it is your car. My previous experience is this is the best way to go coz the panel beater charges you a daily storage fee and when it is home you have total control of it. You can also get any accessories of it not covered by insurance etc.
My guess would be the car is already at the auctions waiting to be cleared for auction. Most of the time of the car is written off it won't even go to a panel shop as the assesor would make the decision the car a write off.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 AM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

It's a stat write off mate. Say your farewell to it and start over.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #27
Labrat
Starter Motor

I am now able to give an update to all interested, and to all who have contributed advise to me.

As can be seen by the long delay in responding to this forum, it has taken around thirty-five days to get to the point where the car was assessed as
a Statutory Write-Off, and for me to be paid the insurance amount.

I am now about to begin the process of buying another car. A Ford of course.

This crash has left me and my family worse off as we have been without a Mum's Taxi for more than a month, (no courtesy car) I had spent a few hundred dollars fixing up the brakes and now I have to pay stamp duty for a second time in less than a year. More leisure time lost in finding a replacement car, and then getting it to a state which I consider safe. Cars bough from car dealers often have brakes almost worn out, broken CV boots etc.

I am however happy that my wife and two children in the car at the time were uninjured.

Again. Thank you to all who offered advise when I needed it.

Labrat.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #28
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So did the Ins Co let you retain the wreck or did you just let it go
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #29
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Crazy, I suggest you review the Tort of Negligence. This is one reason why there is a liability component to most motor insurance policies.
That may be true in a legal sense, I'm no lawyer but, I've never heard of anyone being supplied a car by the at fault party's insurance company.

I suppose he can try and sue the insurance company of the at fault driver, good luck with that. By his own admission he is unable to take the family to the movies, I guess he can sue them for the price of a bus ticket.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #30
Patty

Quote:
I am now able to give an update to all interested, and to all who have contributed advise to me.

As can be seen by the long delay in responding to this forum, it has taken around thirty-five days to get to the point where the car was assessed as
a Statutory Write-Off, and for me to be paid the insurance amount.

I am now about to begin the process of buying another car. A Ford of course.

This crash has left me and my family worse off as we have been without a Mum's Taxi for more than a month, (no courtesy car) I had spent a few hundred dollars fixing up the brakes and now I have to pay stamp duty for a second time in less than a year. More leisure time lost in finding a replacement car, and then getting it to a state which I consider safe. Cars bough from car dealers often have brakes almost worn out, broken CV boots etc.

I am however happy that my wife and two children in the car at the time were uninjured.

Again. Thank you to all who offered advise when I needed it.

Labrat.

Good to hear it's all sorted. It's unfortunate that you were inconvenienced for a month. I disagree with your comment about most dealer cars having brake issues. I've never bought a car from a dealership that has had brake issues. All reputable dealerships have to comply to strict compliance rules and won't be able to sell an unroadworthy car. If you find you bought a car that is unroadworthy and the brakes aren't up to scratch then the dealer has to pay to fix it. PLus you get the statutory 12 months warranty on the car as well.