Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Default I was pulled over last night. I got caring police

i was pulled over last night for "apparent neg driving" i was taking corners too quickly apparantly(which i may or may not have been). any way the cop tested me at the start. then after he walked around my car politely talked to me about my fog lights being on and my p plate not visible and how close i came to getting a speeding fine.

i knew i wasnt speeding cause i know a certain area that says 60, you need to do 60 cause of the area.

now i didnt have a problem with all those. i understood that they where doing there job and i may have been acting like a little hoon or shit. after a 10 min talk about driver safety and deaths and all that jazz i ended up receiving a 77buck Fine for my foggies being on and no demerit points. no biggie.

but i would just like to say that after seeing the different policemen out there who are on patrol and there attitudes towards drivers and so on (which i can understand) it was good to have a policeman actually talk to me as a person not as a "P" plater who doesnt know what he was doing and was being irresponsible. Now fair enough i know many of you on here beleive P platers should have more restrictions and all, but this thread is not about that its about me giving praise to the Patrol car that pulled me over and treated me as a person, in my books the police earn some more respect from me. And its also good to see Police actually pulling over potential problems as they see it.

Now dont get me wrong im not saying that i hoon around like a maniac and all that and cut people off and road rage and all that. im normally quite a calm driver. it was just these 2 intersections that i know VERY VERY well and can see the traffic comming 1km away in either direction. I will admit that the speed i took the corners may have been a bit silly. (45-55). those are the corners that i only every normally or will tend to not really slow down for.

And yes before any of you say it yes i know that its irresponsible and can cause a possible accident. But i would just like to thank the patrol car for treating me with respect and as a person and actually giving me there point of veiw and making me realise that what i was doing could end some ones life and maybee my own....so thank you.

I dont want to be protrayed as a hoon so please keep your hoon or any typical P plate remarks to yourself. no one is perfect and i believe HOON should not be restricted to P platers....thank you.,

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
mowog
Discovery 4

Sounds like you were treated fairly...

I wish the Police would fine more people for the Fog Light thing...
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

There are definitely good ones, a while back I was pulled over for speeding, which I was, after a bit of a chat he let me off.

Alot just depends on how their night is going really.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
Sounds like you were treated fairly...

I wish the Police would fine more people for the Fog Light thing...
LOL.

Nothing wrong with them if they are correctly fitted / adjusted, 55 watt same as whats in your headlights except they are pointing to the ground.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Some fun roads out at Werombi (I am guess you were booked out your way). Used to live in Camden ... so I know a lot of the good roads out there.

Good to hear you came across some decent cops though .... there are a lot out there ... you just hear about the crap ones when people complain.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"HOON!!!".......lol

Bad luck mate, but as ya say at least you got one of the good copper's and not one of the nasty ones.

$77.00 for having ya foggies on?......is it against the law?.....it so then why are they on any car that is legally sold in this country?

I see people all the time driving around with em on......and not at night time either!!........heaps of people drive around in the middle of the day in bright sunshine with them on, why is that?.....I have absolutely no idea......always been a mystery to me, does anyone know why they do that?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

im just a little confused. i understand that FOG lights are meant for fogs. but on my car a little fiesta. they arent really fog lights. more like driving lights. now i live ware there are no street lights and there are alot of animals on the side of the road that like to jump out at you like wombats. rabits, foxs and kangaroos.

In the past the Fog lights have enabled me to see them and avoid them as they dart out off the side of the road. should i continue to use them. the RTA webiste says nothing about the Front fog lights being on at all when not in fog. only the rear. it only mentions abuot having them on if the weather conditions are hazardous. shouldnt it also include ware certain areas are not well lit.

Old 29-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yea this is a good example of good policing, esp when you hear so many negatives about the coppers in the Ctown area. I was driving arround that area last sat night (read my post) with my fogg lights on and I agree with LSTerritoryGhia, they have their place. I find them very usefull for lighting up the sides of the road where those foxes/rabbits/dogs/roos/wombats etc like to come from.

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I can't see any reason why you shouldnt be allowed to have your fog lights on in areas where you can use your high beams.

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh man, not another 10 pager about fog lights....
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I use my fog lights in both my vehicles in my area at night .... for similar reasons as above ... it improves peripheral vision at night by lighting up the sides of the road a lot better ... especially when there are no lines on the road, no cats eyes ... and no lights.

Especially when there is rough edges and scrub close to the road as well.

When my high beams/driving lights are on ... everything is lit up
Old 29-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Some fun roads out at Werombi (I am guess you were booked out your way). Used to live in Camden ... so I know a lot of the good roads out there.

Good to hear you came across some decent cops though .... there are a lot out there ... you just hear about the crap ones when people complain.
yer extremely fun roads....well i came out of oran park slowed to 50 looked to make sure there was no one comming and turned left. easy turn as there is HEAPS of rooms to swing. then turned onto cobbity road and did the same thing.accelrated till i hit 70, that little bit b4 Macarthar anglican up hill...then hit 80 when 80 sign came then comming into cobbity ware it turns 60 downhill i normally letmself roll to 60 from 80, i put it into 4th and just roll it into 60 going up that hill. so i hit 60 b4 i get near the little shop....so yer.

Old 29-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #13
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Good that you got a nice cop same thing happened to me i wasnt hooning just driving a bit keen was 11 at night in a wide street no cars around and a cop happened to see me he followed me till i got home. he comes out with the usual you live here mate? he just checked my licence and said slow down. he said if highway patrol was there he would have toasted me didnt end up getting find for anything. was a good bloke.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

I see police cars with fog lights on all the time, i dont know why they are fining people for it. Fair enough if it was during the day when u dont need them on, but if its at night i think u need all the light u can get in some areas.
Xitdxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 01:02 PM   #15
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xitdxr
I see police cars with fog lights on all the time, i dont know why they are fining people for it. Fair enough if it was during the day when u dont need them on, but if its at night i think u need all the light u can get in some areas.
lol that just make me think lol. i remember seeing there Xr8 Falcon with there foggies on... hmmmm aew well. what can ya do.

Old 29-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #16
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have fog lights on My SP23 and they are useless as they only light up half a metre of the road immediately in front of the bumper. I guess they are intended to make YOUR car more visible to others in bad weather. They are only allowed to be put on in bad weather. I speak to cops all the time. They are usually polite to me. I reckon I must seem pretty normal compared to most of the other creatures in the bail queue. Believe me, if you ever have to spend 18 hours in a charge cell and see what they have to deal with you would feel sorry for them.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Seriously fellas, the fog light thing has been done to death.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #18
plext
Forum Director

If you don't mind photn, where did this take place? I've noticed an increase in police activity around the upper reaches of Werombi Road of late, especially since the 60 zone around Bobs Range Road has been extended to Rapleys Loop.

Nice to see some positive comments about police work here.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
yer extremely fun roads....well i came out of oran park slowed to 50 looked to make sure there was no one comming and turned left. easy turn as there is HEAPS of rooms to swing. then turned onto cobbity road and did the same thing.accelrated till i hit 70, that little bit b4 Macarthar anglican up hill...then hit 80 when 80 sign came then comming into cobbity ware it turns 60 downhill i normally letmself roll to 60 from 80, i put it into 4th and just roll it into 60 going up that hill. so i hit 60 b4 i get near the little shop....so yer.
I like coming off Cobbity Rd and turning left onto the Northern Rd ... and putting the foot into it ... was much better when the Northern Rd used to be 100km/h.

Strange ... they resurfaced The Northern Rd and made it smooth and nice to drive on ... and dropped the speed limi from 100km/h to 80km/h .... booooo.
Old 29-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #20
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by plext
If you don't mind photn, where did this take place? I've noticed an increase in police activity around the upper reaches of Werombi Road of late, especially since the 60 zone around Bobs Range Road has been extended to Rapleys Loop.

Nice to see some positive comments about police work here.
it was in cobbity just as you hit the 60 zone was ware i was pulled over.....but i took the corner at oran park (comming out of it) and going into cobbity...

Yer i live in Rapleys loop road. and that whole 60 Zone thing. frustrates me as it used to be 80. even though people still travel through there at 80. but know as you come around that final bend b4 the hill to bobs range you know the coppas will be there waiting. (heading towards camden)

um yer increase in police activity is due to opperation Northen Villages. 3/4 of all fatals happened near camden and werombi/oakdale area.

i happily enjoy the S bends before bobs range.

Old 29-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #21
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I like coming off Cobbity Rd and turning left onto the Northern Rd ... and putting the foot into it ... was much better when the Northern Rd used to be 100km/h.

Strange ... they resurfaced The Northern Rd and made it smooth and nice to drive on ... and dropped the speed limi from 100km/h to 80km/h .... booooo.
true. but still id rather drive on the northen road then on camden valley way which is at the opposite end....that thing sucks....

yer i like the oran park left onto northen then right back onto cobbity road. especially when your doing it at say 1 oclock in the morning with no one around. you can allow yourself to swing wide... but wont be dong that for a long time. till i get my confidence back up about my driving.......

Old 29-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #22
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

So you wont do it again?

Mission accomplished by the officer!
Old 29-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #23
tasker1986

I have to say im quiet pleasedn with police out my area i am driving a car that i'm not allowed to drive on my p's and havnt been pulled over once. in almost 3 years of driving i have been pulled over twice. Once for a random breathe test the other because i left my wallet at the station for other cirumstances. Now i think alot of coppers a good bloked i have had 1 in the CBD at the lights directing traffic come up and compliment on how clean my car looks and he also said he luv's to see young people appreciate their cars. As for the foglight thing i always drive my car with my lights on (including fog's) since owning my first car a dark blue mazda mx6 i was told by insurance company to always drive with lights on as it makes people more weary of whats around them.

So yeah what do you believe??? :
tasker1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #24
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
So you wont do it again?

Mission accomplished by the officer!
i dont believe that the officer set out to take away my confidence about driving. i think it was more along the lines of education......but yes i wont do it again....until i feel absolutely sure that im not going to harm any1 even myself and im not breaking any laws or driving like a hoon.

Old 29-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #25
plext
Forum Director

"That whole 60 zone thing" as you put it, is interesting.

The 60 signs were erected within two weeks of a drunk driver losing it Camden bound on the way down to the creek crossing, crossing the road and taking out the armco Rapleys Loop side. You may recall seeing the ute on its side, as it was there for a day or two.

I'm intrigued as to how the authorities have worked out that a lowering of the speed limit will decrease the probability of drunken fools bending vehicles at that point. It's also nice to note that although the speed restriction happened with alacrity, the damned armco remains unreplaced.

I'll point out at this juncture that I'm not working off hearsay here, the fool concerned staggered into my place to ask to use the phone after the event.
Old 29-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasker1986
I have to say im quiet pleasedn with police out my area i am driving a car that i'm not allowed to drive on my p's and havnt been pulled over once.
You do realize that any insurance will therefore be void in an accident?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #27
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by plext
"That whole 60 zone thing" as you put it, is interesting.

The 60 signs were erected within two weeks of a drunk driver losing it Camden bound on the way down to the creek crossing, crossing the road and taking out the armco Rapleys Loop side. You may recall seeing the ute on its side, as it was there for a day or two.

I'm intrigued as to how the authorities have worked out that a lowering of the speed limit will decrease the probability of drunken fools bending vehicles at that point. It's also nice to note that although the speed restriction happened with alacrity, the damned armco remains unreplaced.

I'll point out at this juncture that I'm not working off hearsay here, the fool concerned staggered into my place to ask to use the phone after the event.
Plext ware abouts was it. going away from raplyes loop road was it the First little bridge? do you also recal the car that lost it infront of the Denches (not sure if you know them. he is teh water guy) that happened a couple of months ago....

Old 29-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #28
plext
Forum Director

Yes mate, the small bridge just past Camelot, where the 60 zone now kicks in.

I wasn't aware of the other prang, but would assume it had something to do with the intersection there, it quite often seems to get gravel out on the traffic line.
Old 29-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #29
photn
AFF Post NAZI

you have no idea.....in regards to camelot ware abouts do you live. rapleys loop side or bobs side. little house near the bridge or the one with the concealed driveway lol. i remember reading some 1 selling there Xr6 El up there.

Old 29-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #30
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so, what exactly is the law regarding fog lights being on in daylight in NSW (and other states)?
All I can find for NSW is that you can't use your lights to "dazzle" another driver.
If the lights were to "dazzle" I'd have a problem with it. Simply having them on I have no problem with. Lights on, providing they don't dazzle another driver, can increase visibility.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post