Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Why buy new

Guys, with the release of the new FPV GT (we all now know how good it is), my wife and I have been discussing getting one . What makes someone buy brand new over waiting for second hand. Also what methods do people use to purchase new, loan, leasing etc.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I have always bought new cars for the simple fact that you know what they have done and what history they have had.

Buying used you run the risk that its been damaged, flogged or its just a plain lemon.

Then theres the issue of warranty.

The best advice i can give now is wait till Jan / Feb / March 2012 and buy a 2011 plate one, you will save 10 - 12 kay and still get a brand new car!!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah the incentives to buy new are there, and most of the time it must be tax reasons because if you where handing over a brief case of cash then your losing so much over so little time its sickening.

You can get lemons when you have a new car aswell, personally id find it very hard when the time comes (regardless of the $$ position) to buy straight off the production line. It must be a good feeling but I think id rather buy one with say <10000k's under the belt.

Yes it might have been flogged a little but you will then atleast notice it, and you still have the warranty (id want atleast 2 years on it left).

Agreed with the above though, dont rush in unless you have too.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Loan instead of lease, unless you do 20,000kms+ per year (in my opinion).

Shop around with your loan, don't take the recommended finance of the dealer without checking with your bank and other finance companies. Often you will be able to get a much better interest rate.
Also work out your strategy - will you be keeping this car for more than 5 years? Is it worth finding a loan where you don't get charged for early repayments if you want to pay off extra towards it? Or will you be changing it over in 3 years for a newer model?

Also visit some different dealers - if you have a particularly colour/options combo that is in stock at one dealer, you may be able to get the price down further than if you have to order. Shop towards the end of the month (always like to get their sales figures up).
Also consider demo cars - if you can pick up the right model (e.g. GT-P) with under 1000kms and the right colour you like, you might save a few thousand.

At the end of the day as others have said -- buying brand new you KNOW the car, know it's history, have the full warranty period and can make sure that everything stays in the condition you would like for the life of the car. Especially if you plan on owning it for 5+ years.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
CFOUR
The Destroyer

I like the idea of floorstock and demonstrators. Floor stock is always cheaper than ordered cars and demo's always have lost of options bolted on you can get away without paying for.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Kryton

Ill keep buying secondhand.
Ill let someone else pay the depreciation on a new car.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Ill keep buying secondhand.
Ill let someone else pay the depreciation on a new car.
Agreed and you see just as many people buying brand new cars that have more problems than second hand ones.

Warranty is useless if you go by the CRC thread here.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
JimNiki
71Mach1

Used for me (under 50k).
Don't care for the smell of new plastics !

As long as its got half it's factory warranty left...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I was always of the opinion of never buying a new car until i bought my XR5 its a totally different expierance to buying 2nd hand
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Stock XR
K Code

Only had 1 new car, kept it for 10 years. All the others have been 2nd or 3rd hand.
Stock XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its amazing how many people you see buying a new car every 2 years or so throwing away 10k plus in depreciation and then whinge about a 1/4 % interest rate increase.2nd hand for me try for around 12-18 months old with about 15k on it ,good bargains to be had in this area.that depreciation value sure buys some nice toys ,only need to buy a bigger property now sheds are full and no room for new projects
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many factors to consider when buying new. I've had 5 new cars so far. Everybody will have different opinions based on their own circumstances and goals.

A GT in my opinion is more of a car that you buy with passion. A passionate buy for me would always be new. You get to choose the colour, the options, and the gearbox. It is your car, built for you.

You will lose a good deal of money on it, so I would ask yourself how many klm's you plan on doing in it and how long you plan on keeping it.

bfiipursuit's advice is really good if you plan to keep the car for quite some time. However, if you trade the car early in its life, most car yards will look at the car as 1 year older than it is. Ultimately, the choice is up to you. good luck with whatever you decide.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well if no one bought new then where would you all be?

I am wondering if you computer is second hand?
Or your TV and DVD or game console?

The most common reason why people do not buy new is they can't afford it.
But then if no one bought second hand then there would be no resale at all so it all works.

For me, I bought second hand basic cars until I could afford new basic cars. (kingswoods, falcons, lasers)
Then later I bought second hand high end cars until I could afford new high end cars. (Fairmont Ghias, FPVs, datto)

Now I am in a position where I could buy a new GT-E or a second hand BMW M5 or C63 AMG, Porsche 996 or Audi RS6 but I do not have to make any decision until April so I will just sit back and watch.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to buy 12-18 month old cars up until my last car.

When it became more beneficial tax wise for me to buy new. Until that situation changes I will keep on doing it, thus giving people more good 2nd hand cars to buy.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah thats good advice its like gambling you should only do it you can afford the losses, if you cant then dont
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

thats me.

what some people consider 'being able to afford it' is all relative as well. i recently bought a fg xr6 6sp for 24k. thats about as much as i am comfortable spending on a car as its a fair whack of my income. if my income doubled, i could safely say my car budget would also increase.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well if no one bought new then where would you all be?

I am wondering if you computer is second hand?
Or your TV and DVD or game console?

But then if no one bought second hand then there would be no resale at all so it all works.

For me, I bought second hand basic cars until I could afford new basic cars. (kingswoods, falcons, lasers)
Then later I bought second hand high end cars until I could afford new high end cars. (Fairmont Ghias, FPVs, datto)

Now I am in a position where I could buy a new GT-E or a second hand BMW M5 or C63 AMG, Porsche 996 or Audi RS6 but I do not have to make any decision until April so I will just sit back and watch.
Oh that makes my mouth water, if only i could. My 5 keeps me happy though
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #18
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
Guys, with the release of the new FPV GT (we all now know how good it is), my wife and I have been discussing getting one . What makes someone buy brand new over waiting for second hand. Also what methods do people use to purchase new, loan, leasing etc.
I don't think anything makes people buy new.

It comes down to managable debt in the first place, then if you are the sort of person that can accept the thought of high depreciation on top of interest payments.

Combine the two factors and the money lost can combine to be very significant over the typical loan. The cheapest, most efficient method of buying a new private car is cash in hand.

Comes down to your own acceptance of personal debt of a depreciating asset.

It is effectively why the GS lives.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #19
The Snout

My current car is a Toyota Camry. Bought 2nd hand with 35000 on the clock for $17K.

To me it's an applicance only, very reliable to run around with (now has 190 000 on it with no major problems). Not scared about scratches on it. I wouldn't spend over $40K on a new car, but it's all personal circumstances.

Can fully understand $60K spend on a passion buy like a GT. Buy within your means, there's no right or wrong answer.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #20
05_ENFORCER

[QUOTE=bfiipursuit]

The best advice i can give now is wait till Jan / Feb / March 2012 and buy a 2011 plate one, you will save 10 - 12 kay and still get a brand new car!!!

That is the best advise so far, an you may well find on some vehicles it is more like 12-15K
Old 10-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #21
buickman
buickman

I've purchased new cars as well as second-hand. If I can afford a new one at the time and like it I will buy it mainly because of safety and reliability.
But the older second hand cars have severed me well but be prepared on replacing mech and suspension parts sooner unless previous owner as done the repairs beforehand .
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #22
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

i have the money right now to buy an e63 or rs4 or gte outright, but that wouldn't be the logical option. im 24 and buying my dream car right now wouldn't be right. invest in houses and then maybe in 10 years i can get that dream car. for now i will take advantage of someone elses depreciation and get something a couple of years old, if it's a lemon move it on straight away.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #23
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool

Some interested and varied responses, understand why people buy second hand - every car so far I've had is second hand. I guess I am considering my first plunge into a brand new car.

I think the way we will go is wait for floor stock etc to try and save 10-12k, may not get exactly what I after but it'll be close enough.

Thanks guys for the responses, helped heaps :-)

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #24
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For my own work cars i buy them new only with cash and i do about 50.000km a year and get rid of them around 90.000km.
With a new car you can option it as you want. i always get a LSD diff, they are useless to me with out that.
There is no point in buying a year old car because the price is to high and it could be a lemon and you don't know it's history or some moron has owned it and flogged it when cold or did not run it in properly and only change the oil when it had to be.
I always look after my cars as thou i maybe stuck with it for years because i have had to put up with labor party vampires before.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #25
glavas

i always buy new cause im not cheap and i can afford it. i love that new smell and the fact that that no one has driven it.(apart from test drive blah blah) when i was younger i bought 2nd hand and they kept breaking down so now ill only buy new and sell when they hit 50000km which is about every 5-8 years.cause ive noticed 50000km is when trouble starts to happen. i just dred the thought of driving a car with like 100 000km on it. the plastics are all worn, it dosent drive good, rips in the seats etc.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

not to drag this off topic too far, but some of the perceptions of '2nd hand' are a bit wrong. my last 2 cars i've bought were around 2 years old. one less, one slightly more. still have factory warranty. lemons can happen from factory. there are no garauntees. problems can arise from new or later. oil changes on new cars are 15000km or 12mnths so its not like the old days.

to say buying second hand makes you 'cheap' is a bit offensive. there's no need to get personal. there are many reasons why people do or don't buy new or 2nd hand. most have been mentioned.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #27
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I only bought new once, BA XR6T fully optioned, big mistake and i would never do it again. I sold it (cos i had to) 18 months after i bought it for $20k less. That's a $20k loss in 18 months plus all the interest, some may argue that i should have known depreciation was going to be hefty which i did but i also didn't know that i would have to sell it after 18 months, the fact is things happen.

I just purchased a BF MkII XR6T (again fully optioned) with 25000 kms on it for $22.5k, now that's a much wiser decision imo.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #28
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never bought a new car, and I'd love to think that in a few years time my first new car could be a coyote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #29
sandmanls1

I've had a mix of both only reason have bought new is because I haven't be able to find a good 2nd hand one in that model that was 12mth old and new wasn't a lot more especially with a fleet discount. Bought a Heavy Slow vehicle Senator 2nd hand with 4700km and six months old that had already lost 20k from new. Wife's current car was 40k new bought it six months old with 7,000km for 26k driveaway. Probably won't buy new again unless I am really cashed up.. How long before a 2nd hand GT hits $60k?

Would you rather have a 2004 E55 AMG, RS6 etc or a new GTE?? Don't forget new cars lose most of their depreciation in the first 3 years. Also with LCT, stamp duty etc you lose all these as soon as you drive off the lot... Mate just lost 20k on a brand new Porsche Boxster Spyder and only did 500km in it..
Old 11-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #30
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
i always buy new cause im not cheap and i can afford it. i love that new smell and the fact that that no one has driven it.(apart from test drive blah blah) when i was younger i bought 2nd hand and they kept breaking down so now ill only buy new and sell when they hit 50000km which is about every 5-8 years.cause ive noticed 50000km is when trouble starts to happen. i just dred the thought of driving a car with like 100 000km on it. the plastics are all worn, it dosent drive good, rips in the seats etc.

Haha. 50k and a car is stuffed? I have only ever owned second hand cars and not one of them has been unreliable. I put about 40k on a car in a year and my current runabout has ~290 000 on the clock. Can park it anywhere at shops and not worry. No rips in seats, and hasn't changed how it drives. A bit of regular maintenace goes a long way with mechanical components.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post