Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2024, 02:15 PM   #1
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden Museum closing it’s doors

It’s the same engine as Zb which develops its maximum torque at 5500 rpm quite bizarre
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2024, 02:51 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

All the ironies of where this thread has ended up. It’s like a wake devolving into a discussion of the deceased’s favourite shoes. Or people going to see a musician just to hear one or two tunes from their repertory of 50 years ago.

A more apposite summary of the original topic might be: “Museum dedicated to discontinued car brand, closes due to lack of commercial sustainability as visitors diminish year on year.”
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2024, 03:40 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
It’s the same engine as Zb which develops its maximum torque at 5500 rpm quite bizarre
I hate the way the VEII/VF/VFII V6 drives, it's got absolutely nothing sub 4500 RPM, then it really moves off, reminds me of the 5.4 4V in the BA/BF XR8 Falcons except even worse.

It's no good for a large heavy sedan and that's where if the Commodore had the Barra it's be the best car ever, as the rest of the VF is great
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2024, 03:56 PM   #4
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recent driving of the SIDI one I actually liked it. Compared a late Barra on the same day which shifted early and choked itself (that would adapt over time and just be the driver software I guess). But the Holden V6 was fun to punt around an industrial area.

I remember the very strong meh on driving the HFV6 for the first time in a new VZ - told the old man to keep his VY.

Also, with the late SIDI ones they made a factory Australian E85 compatible flex fuel motor, those will be golden once missiles start flying in the SCS and our petrol and diesel ship imports get disrupted and the 12 days of reserve fuel is gone. GMH were very ahead of their time.

Looking at those brilliant pics DFB, we used to make all of that here. Now we make lattes.
Old 19-04-2024, 04:00 PM   #5
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

186 was their best 6 imo.

Peak torque at 1600 revs, take that diesels.
Old 19-04-2024, 04:28 PM   #6
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Recent driving of the SIDI one I actually liked it. Compared a late Barra on the same day which shifted early and choked itself (that would adapt over time and just be the driver software I guess). But the Holden V6 was fun to punt around an industrial area.

I remember the very strong meh on driving the HFV6 for the first time in a new VZ - told the old man to keep his VY.

Also, with the late SIDI ones they made a factory Australian E85 compatible flex fuel motor, those will be golden once missiles start flying in the SCS and our petrol and diesel ship imports get disrupted and the 12 days of reserve fuel is gone. GMH were very ahead of their time.

Looking at those brilliant pics DFB, we used to make all of that here. Now we make lattes.

Quoting myself lol

Just read Israel has begun to strike back at Iran... no geopol risk on that for E85 haha!
Old 19-04-2024, 04:49 PM   #7
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I hate the way the VEII/VF/VFII V6 drives, it's got absolutely nothing sub 4500 RPM, then it really moves off, reminds me of the 5.4 4V in the BA/BF XR8 Falcons except even worse.

It's no good for a large heavy sedan and that's where if the Commodore had the Barra it's be the best car ever, as the rest of the VF is great
You must have driven "Friday build" cars Franco. Or maybe the VFs are better than the VE versions.

I have 2 VF V6s, my 3.6 SV6 sedan & the better half's 3.0 Berlina Sportwagon. Both good reliable daily drivers, both now nearing nearing 200,000 km on the clock.

The 3.0 wagon goes almost as well as the SV6, plus is very economical. We can drive Sydney metro to Melbourne metro without refuelling.

The main thing with both the Alloytecs & the SIDI version is regular oil changes with a quality oil.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2024, 12:43 PM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Sad to see, but one to watch, the bidding has started.

https://burnsandco.hibid.com/catalog...museum?apage=8

Sandman sitting at $48 000 so far 37 bids.

HSV Statesman $14 750 so far 43 bids

HJ Statesman Caprice Coupe ???? which I 've never heard of. $67 750 35 bids

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post: